• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Should Ash Be Replaced?

R@I|)3N 50

iSlaying Like A Boss
Years
  • Seen Oct 8, 2013
Yes he should be replaced because he is still 10. He should stay at home with his mum and wait till he gets older. And seriously, everyone's starting to get a bit umm, "bored" about seeing his face.

Reinforce

Reinforce Production
Years
I agree with you ash should be replace. He should have only travel trough Kanto and orange islands and win the Indigo league because,seriously, in each season he lose the pokemon league to travel in another region where he will lose the pokemon league! There should have
replace him as a protagonist in Johto and a new trainer in each new season. He just need to retire like in the pokemon manga red only appear in Kanto and Johto series and he never appear again(I guess cuz i never read all the manga)

I have a question to you, will you watch a heroes movie that can defeat the enemies with one punch?
Its boring right? And thats the point ash is kid when he started his journey. If he won the pokemon league in season 1 when he is still a kid and dont really know all about pokemon its really boring -,-
Its like one piece or naruto (anime) want to be a pirate king or hokage but sill young so thy need to travel. To train, to gain experience to learn more all about things.. Its called adventure.. If ash catch any legendaries its awesome but nonsense , why? They called it LEGENDARY POKEMON so if ash catch it with those pokemons of him that can be easily defeat by legendaries is already a question of HOW!

Years
  • Seen Jan 28, 2014
I actually have a very facinating and intelligent idea of how to repleace Ash while still leaving viewer to be asking for more. And it would work, since all the previous character would have an impact.

Basically it is that the biggest tournamet of the Pokemon world which only happens every 25 years is happening back in Ash's homeland and almost every one would be coming there, so there would be some interesting matches like Gary vs Paul.

And in the semi-final Ash defeats his father. But Ash loses the final to Gary. Then he realizes the reason he is not a excellent trainer is because his love for Pokemon prevents him to use them at their fullest.

So he become a researcher. Then after many years, his grandson takes on the quest to exceed where Ash failed, and prove Ash wrong but using the same tactics, but there is a problem........

Purple skies

Kittycanes777
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jan 2, 2023
I say that ash was a great character from the beginning of the very first generation one of the main characters on all the generations

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
Years
I finally came up with something.

Yugioh also replaced the main character and you saw what happen to the old fan base. It was cut in more than half. However, the pokemon anime has already lost more than half of the old anime fans and would lose a good chunk of the remaining old fan base if Ash was replaced.

Even though I probably would still watch it without Ash, I don't think it would be a good idea. Unless they went to the manga base, but it would be considered too dark.

Boilurn

Scald Pokémon
Years
I certainly don't think Ash should be replaced. I like the idea of long-term protagonists, and Ash is one of those guys. Maybe if the Japanese voice actor of Ash decides to retire they might choose a different main character, but I doubt this would happen.

Years
  • Seen Aug 2, 2013
I certainly don't think Ash should be replaced. I like the idea of long-term protagonists, and Ash is one of those guys. Maybe if the Japanese voice actor of Ash decides to retire they might choose a different main character, but I doubt this would happen.
i agree with Boilurn , if voice actor for ash retire i don't think they will replace ash

EJ Nero

Water forever
Years
Replaced, no. I do think he should age at least. It's been 16 years and he's still 10. I used to be younger than Ash for crying out loud. I think progressing in age by say one year every generation wouldn't be a bad idea.

Yeah they'd just find another voice actor. Hasn't Ash's voice changed over the seasons in the English dub?

Last edited:

th3shark

Develops in AS3/C++
Years
I never understood why people have such a problem with Ash's constant age. It's a fairly common trope of cartoons, along with everyone wearing the same clothing and such.

I personally wouldn't mind Ash getting replaced. He's supposed to represent the new pokemon player who's figuring everything out for the first time. Ash's naivete certainly nails this role, but it's weird to see him seemingly forget everything he's learned from the past season when the new season starts. Having a new protagonist for each adventure just feels more natural.

nimbo

~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jul 16, 2016
I don't think they should replace him, but I think they should progress him a little more. I think a more mature and older Ash would do well in the new region. 10 years old forever is getting tiresome.

bobandbill

one more time
Years
Ash works for the anime in each season, in that he only needs to appeal to the primary audience (ie young kids playing the games, which is a target base that keeps reappearing every gen). It's partly why stuff like Ash forgetting things once stepping into a new region doesn't matter too much.

For myself though I would like to see a different take on the anime with a different set of characters. I'm just not interested in Ash and the fact that a lot repeats (along with Ash rediscovering that grass beats water and whatnot) doesn't hold much interest for myself.

Years
  • Seen Jan 28, 2014
Ash is my childhood too! Well, pretty much a childhood as I am still in a sort of a childhood while others find me mature but I can't decide.

But, he character is getting staler and staler every season! The Ash which I once used to idolized is turning into a goody-good boring guy!

And he doesn't even as a character development! A little development will not hurt anyone, but could do wonders for the show. Like children and teenagers alike watched digimon.

Why Ash can't have a past where every Pokemon he touches turns to dust or is killed by a frenzied gang of Haunters? WHY?

Things aside, if we do it in a way, for eg leaving the thing incomplete, it would give the children an argue to ask for more! And they will quickly get a liking to the next hero if he is Ash's grandson and Pikachu likes him!

Broleta

[..1..]
Years
If they still want to hold on to the kid market, they could keep the anime going as it is with a new main character and create a spinoff series with Ash where the themes are more mature and Ash actually starts to age finally. That way they will still keep new young viewers but may be able to bring back old viewers to the new series as they will recognise Ash and be drawn in by the more mature themes.

Years
  • Seen Jan 28, 2014
Hey, how about the current Pokemon anime going Monay till Friday then on Saturday or Sunday there would a the newer anime in which Ash's grandson's adventures count. Then they could campare the two show's response, and then keep the show with more viewer ship while the other one goes home.

Darkwing Ducklett

Let's get dangerous
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Aug 20, 2014
Ash, to me, is something of a harsh life lesson for kids, that no matter how good you think you are, there is always going to be someone better than you...as evidenced by the fact that he's never won a league competition, despite frequently having a very strong lineup (Sinnoh was the most painful example of this, where it took a DARKRAI and then a LATIOS to bring him down, as opposed to non-Legendary Pokemon as had been the case every other time) and the entire anime building up to it. Replacing him, at least before he's actually won something of significance, would leave his story incomplete, at least in my opinion. If Ash were to be replaced, I'd want to see him win for a change; heaven knows he deserves it after so many failures it's unbelievable. It's a good thing his mind is effectively wiped with each new season, because if it weren't he'd have some serious confidence issues by now.

I have to admit, I'd like to see a fresh face taking the spotlight instead of Ash. But I remember being extremely upset as a child when Brock was replaced by Tracey, and something tells me a lot of the younger fans would be equally as upset...and it'd be really jarring. Ash is the main character of the franchise; it's built up around him. Now, a spinoff series with new characters might be a good idea (like The Legend of Thunder episodes/movie) but replace him entirely? Gotta say no to this one.

Years
  • Seen Aug 15, 2013
Replaced? No, made more competent? Yes. Watching him lose to an idiot like Cameron and then losing to the even MORE idiotic Cheren was just painful. I wish just once he would win a league(besides Orange Islands and Battle Frontier).

Tracey annoyed me as a kid too, but I have to say compared to Cylan he dosen't seem all that bad anymore.

I guess if Ash had to replaced I wouldn't mind a female protagonist.

KorpiklaaniVodka

KID BUU PAWAA
Years
Until his story is finished, no. However, he needs to be more clever and actually capture those legendaries he meets on his way. Also, while I do kinda understand why does he use the PokeDex on every single Pokemon he meets (because Pokemon is aimed towards little kids), why couldn't, say, Iris have a PokeDex and scan those Pokemon?

Back