• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Ones That Got Away Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Seen Dec 11, 2016
Update:
-Beat Team Rocket
-Went into Ice Path to get to Blackthorn
-Did some grinding to evolve Snover and finally give Crawdaunt a decent Dark move.
-Found a Trainer Rematch that gives very good experience, and abusing it very well. Picknicker Erin, who can be rematched at Saturday night has a lv 41 Rapidash and is quite high-levelled compared to other trainer rematches at this point and gives very good experience.
-Beat Clair
-Saved before Dragon's Den.

My team:
Spoiler:

Years
  • Seen Nov 7, 2014
I'd like to try this.

Name: Seven
Game: Emerald
Pokemon that got away:
Spoiler:

Number required: 6
Specific requirements: N/A

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen May 17, 2016
I'd like to try this.

Name: Seven
Game: Emerald
Pokemon that got away:
Spoiler:

Specific requirements: N/A

Cool. You can give it a go with:

Clamperl (I'll leave it up to you to decide which evolution)
Lunatone
Rhyhorn
Makuhita
Seviper
Tropius

Added you to the Challengers list. Enjoy!

Years
  • Seen Nov 7, 2014
Beginning my challenge.

Started the game and gave myself the name Blue. What can I say? It's a classic that I've been using since... forever.

After going through the whole beginning and saving Prof. Birch's life, I chose torchic. All of my pokemon in the playthrough are frankly a ways off. The closest one is a makuhita. So I decided that Torchic was a good choice, if for nothing other than an HM slave. I think I'll hack in a clamperl early so I can have one of my pokemon to work with. I'm going to have to hack in the evolution later anyway.

Took care of everything remaining in Littleroot and Oldale and continued onward onto Route 102 where I caught my first pokemon that'll be on my team. Hacked in, of course:

Clamperl "Atlantic"
Level 4
Quirky Nature
Caught on Route 102

So me and Atlantic continue up Route 102... until we run into the Lass with the shroomish. Atlantic faints, and unfotunately I have to bring Torchic back out. Hopefully this'll be the last time I resort to using him... moving onto Petalburg.

So to summarize Petalburg in a few sentences: Healed my pokemon, broke into houses looking for interesting conversations or free goods (no such luck), had a conversation with my father, helped Wally catch his first pokemon, decided to take on the gym circuit, and got told by Scott that I was nothing but a rookie trainer. Oh, if only he knew how many times I'd played this game... mwahaha.

Route 104 goes normally. I enter Petalburg Woods and get to find a free potion that I'd never found before. Yay!

In the meanwhile, Atlantic the clamperl is much harder to raise than I thought. It's not that he doesn't have a decent special or defense (cause that's what saving me in battles) but he gains experience so slowly. He's only around lv 7, and Torchic would've been somewhere in the teens by now. Oh well, no time to dwell on it. Time to take out that Aqua grunt and continue on to Rustboro.

*sigh* In Rustboro... and I really wish I could run inside buildings.

Atlantic made Roxanne a breeze. Moving onward.

Lost to another shroomish. Really disliking them right now.

It amuses my how often I can run past the guy who lost the Devon Goods in the process of healing my pokemon, and he never ever makes a comment. You'd think he'd at least ask me why I'm running in the wrong direction.

*sigh* Alright, let's face it, grass pokemon and the move absorb are simply everywhere. Unfortunately, Atlantic doesn't know any non-water type attacks.

Despite all the shroomish and lotad about, I manged to find the Aqua grunt and save Peeko and the Devon Goods. Now I can finally continue onto Brawny where I should also find my next pokemon, makuhita. Of course, I'll take on Brenden first. I won easily, by the way, for those who were worried.

And here's where I'll leave it for now.

Atlantic the clamperl (M) lv 14
Quirky Nature - Battle Armor
Clamp
Water Gun
Whirlpool
Iron Defense

Closing thoughts: So clamperl is a good pokemon, but not a good starter pokemon. There's a reason they're usually found later in the game, higher stats, mono-type attacks, and slower growth being the primary culprits. But other than the odd grass pokemon, Atlantic has been holding up pretty well. It's just unfortunate that I can't abandon using Torchic yet. Makuhita should change that.

Next Time: Dewford Town

TrilbyMenetti

HeartGold trainer
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Mar 3, 2011
Name: Jake
Game: Red (ROM)
Pokemon that got away:
Spoiler:

Number Requirements: 6
Special Requirements: If going for a Safari Zone Pokemon that's rare, don't be too nasty and give me two or more. :D

Would love to do this challenge and I might do it as a Let's Play for my YouTube channel, if that is okay and post the videos here. If not, I'll find my old cartridge and do it just for fun.

Years
  • Seen Dec 11, 2016
TrilbyMenetti take a:

Flareon
Omastar
Mr. Mime
Wigglytuff
Beedrill
Dodrio

Hacki101

I use too many smileys.... :P
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Nov 14, 2014
This looks like a good challenge :).

I like sammuthegreat and mistiblu's impressions section, it is an interesting read.

Anyway...

Name: Hacki
Game: Hard Gold/Heart Gold (r4)
Pokemon that got away:
Spoiler:

Number required: 7 (I will choose 6)
Requirements: Team to learn all HMs (excluding Flash) if possible

Years
  • Seen May 17, 2016
This looks like a good challenge :).

I like sammuthegreat and mistiblu's impressions section, it is an interesting read.

Anyway...

Name: Hacki
Game: Hard Gold/Heart Gold (r4)
Pokemon that got away:
Spoiler:

Number required: 7 (I will choose 6)
Requirements: Team to learn all HMs (excluding Flash) if possible

Ahh, a nice long list to choose from, and cross-Generation as well! Lovely. Take your pick from...

Grumpig
Ursaring
Tentacruel
Drifblim
Octillery
Camerupt
Marowak

I'll add you to the Challengers list right away. I'm glad you like the impressions lists, I hope you'll add your own too! Enjoy...

Hacki101

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Nov 14, 2014
I prefer having cross generation in my games and they are all the pokemon I have never raised before :)

My team predictions:

Grumpig- never though about using before but hoping it can be my special sweeper
Ursaring-Physical sweeper, least useful on the team
Drifblim- Decent typing so may be used a lot, ability could be useful in tight situtaions
Octillery- picked over tentacruel becuase of octazooka(i am intrigued), another special sweeper
Camerupt- bulky reliable pokemon, most useful
Marowak- the dark horse of the team

I will trade all of them over in eggs and train from Lv.1 but having my trainer ID.
Going on holiday for a few days in a minute so I may not update that soon with a long post.

Years
  • Seen Mar 19, 2015
Name: Brodioh
Game: Platinum
Pokemon that got away:
Spoiler:

Requirements: Surf and hopefully Fly

Last edited:

-Cygnus-

It's an odyssey
Years
  • Seen Nov 10, 2015
This challenge looks like a lot of fun, I'll give it a go... I read it last night but forgot that other people choose your Pokemon for you.. So I traded over four eggs of pokemon I've never ever used before from leaf green and hatched them all on my Sapphire...

Spoiler:

I hope I did that right haha. Thanks for posting OP, this challenge looks fun :)

Years
  • Seen May 17, 2016
Name: Brodioh
Game: Platinum
Pokemon that got away:
Spoiler:

Requirements: Surf and hopefully Fly

Give it a go with...

Porygon-Z, Kabutops, Ninetales (aren't I kind :)), Metagross, Togekiss and Donphan.

I hope you don't mind using Kabutops as your Surfer, despite his poor Sp.Atk... To be honest there wasn't a huge amount of choice in there for good Surfers and I know you wanted to use Kabutops, but if you don't like the idea of Kabutops Surfing then switch him for Omastar.

This challenge looks like a lot of fun, I'll give it a go... I read it last night but forgot that other people choose your Pokemon for you.. So I traded over four eggs of pokemon I've never ever used before from leaf green and hatched them all on my Sapphire...

Spoiler:

I hope I did that right haha. Thanks for posting OP, this challenge looks fun :)

Strictly speaking you should have waited for someone to post your team, but you seem so enthusiastic about the Challenge that I don't mind letting you get away with it :)

Enjoy your Challenges both, I've added you both to the Challengers list.

-Cygnus-

It's an odyssey
Years
  • Seen Nov 10, 2015
Well I may or may not have run into a roadblock with the first gym >_<

Spoiler:

>_< Someone slap me the next time I make a post that long. It's been a fun challenge so far though!

Last edited:

MythologicalHAX

Psychic Nightmare
Years
Game: Ruby
Pokemon:
Spoiler:

Requirements: 6 Pokemon, one that uses surf

-Cygnus-

It's an odyssey
Years
  • Seen Nov 10, 2015
Game: Ruby
Pokemon:
Spoiler:

Requirements: 6 Pokemon, one that uses surf
Hmm. How about:
Golduck, Hypno, Magcargo, Breloom, Gengar, Rhydon

Hacki101

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Nov 14, 2014
Orginally was going to tyrain everyone up to LV.4 before continuing but a lack of any decent moves on 3 Pokemon made me train to Lv.6.

Made my way through routes 30 and 31 and needed Numel to defeat BC Wade's updated team (hence Hard Gold).

Saved before the final Sage in belssprout tower.

Spoiler:

-Cygnus-

It's an odyssey
Years
  • Seen Nov 10, 2015
Well, a shorter update I guess. I'm so used to playing on ROMs that cartridge play seems sooo slow haha

Spoiler:

Hi-5 for not writing a novel!!!... Anyone? No? Just me? Okay...

:)

Years
  • Seen May 17, 2016
86.png

Seel- Lvl 18 (Female)
Careful Nature
Headbutt, Growl, Icy Wind
- Seriously considering breeding at Mauville for another Seel. Seriously. I've whined about Seel before, but it's just because words can't express my dissapointment in this Pokemon! I'm not sure if it's just the bad IV+Nature combo, or if Seel just sucks in general (someone tell me this isn't true!), but I'm tired of having to keep grinding this thing over and over again. The only small bit of praise I have for Seel right now is its HP and perhaps DEF & SPDEF. Something inside me is thinking tank, but Dewgong doesn't seem like the Pokemon for that job. We'll have to wait and see. Suggestions?

About your Seel...

First time I played Pearl, I ran it with a pre-chosen team of Gallade, Luxray, Honchkrow, Arcanine, Garchomp and - you guessed it - Dewgong. The reason I chose Dewgong was because I always loved that Pokemon from way back in my Red days, and I hadn't trained one since. Sadly it utterly failed to live up to my nostalgic expectations. I remember it being similarly impossible to raise at low levels.

Sadly it is a very defensive Pokemon, but even so its stats aren't that great. Mine's at Lv.55, and her stats are:

Nature: Relaxed
HP: 176
At: 89
Df: 117
SA:88
SD: 115
Sp: 87

-Aqua Tail
-Avalanche
-Ice Beam
-Surf

Pretty awesome movepool given that its stats lean towards it being a weak mixed attacker, but sadly its stats are pretty poor. Compare that to my Luxray from that same runthrough. He's also at Lv.55, but his stats are as follows...

Nature: Hasty
HP: 165
At: 151
Df: 90
SA: 114
SD: 110
Sp: 106

-Spark
-Shock Wave (not sure why I never gave him Thunderbolt)
-Charge Beam
-Crunch

As you can see, the only real advantage Dewgong has over Luxray here is her higher HP, and even that's not much higher.

I think the be-all-and-end-all is that Dewgong is, sadly, not a very good Pokemon, as much as I love it. It was horribly affected by the Special split in Gen II. I hope you come to love yours though, like I still love mine, and hopefully it'll help to lower your expectations a bit... On the flipside, Magmar are awesome, and even more awesome when they become Magmortar (shame you're playing Gen III...).

Anyway, keep updating, I'm enjoying reading your impressions thus far!

-Cygnus-

It's an odyssey
Years
  • Seen Nov 10, 2015
Oh that's a shame :/ I was really hoping for Dewgong to shape up... I guess I will keep it as the defense on my team (not sure what moves it should learn though). Looking at the SATK and ATK make me cringe. Sucks they don't ever really get better...

How is Dewgong in R/B/Y though? My team variety in the first or second gen has never been interesting lol. Maybe I'll do this challenge in R/B/Y next...

[ontopic]Currently reached Mauvile, beat rival, got everyone to lvl 20 (maybe one is 19)[/ontopic]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back