• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Fanfiction Lounge

Status
Not open for further replies.

txteclipse

The Last
Years
Have any of your fics dealt with why Pokemon obey their trainers? How did you explain it?

In the games, there is a legendary pact between all pokemon to always be ready to help humans. It's in the library in Diamond and Pearl. I actually found that quite interesting, and may use it in my fics sometime. I think the pact was started by Mew, but the book that the legend comes from actually doesn't say.

In Eon Chronicles, the pokemon and humans are more allies than masters and slaves. They help each other on occasion because they are friends, but they don't command each other.

I can't say what I'm going to do with Mastermind yet, because it would be a spoiler.

Buoysel

Trust me, I'm a Professional*
Years
In Eon Chronicles, the pokemon and humans are more allies than masters and slaves. They help each other on occasion because they are friends, but they don't command each other.

I could of swore that in the very beginning of your story what's his face ordered Houndour to steal bread.

txteclipse

The Last
Years
I could of swore that in the very beginning of your story what's his face ordered Houndour to steal bread.

Eh, got me there. Now that you mention it, Kairn does tell Houndoom to do certain things on occasion. I was thinking more about the relationships between the Latis and Kairn and Ren, though.

The Mew thing may come in handy, after all. Though the pair is extremely tight...I haven't really delved into why yet. I'll come up with something, in any case.

.emerald

☆ + ♥
Years
  • Seen Apr 13, 2014
Have any of your fics dealt with why Pokemon obey their trainers? How did you explain

Well, no. But I know how to explain it.

Sunnybeam

when the sky is bright
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Jun 9, 2011
Have any of your fics dealt with why Pokemon obey their trainers? How did you explain it?

I think Negrek pointed out all of the reasons that I generally use. In the beginning of MNIF, Fuega wouldn't listen to a thing Kevin said because she was leery of his ability to command her well and believed she could do better on her own. Eventually she figured out that her arrogance was getting her in trouble, and as an onlooker, Kevin could act more upon strategy than instinct when giving orders. In that fic, the idea of "humans give orders, Pokemon follow them" is pretty standard, and it's all just a matter of how much respect the Pokemon has for its Trainer. (The one exception here would be Zangoose, who was psychopathic and thought that the missions he was given by the Hunter were "fun." :P)

In T6W, which follows gameverse, I haven't really looked into it as much. I know that Kalia's team obeys her because she's proven herself to be capable time after time, trained them very well (evolved each of them at least once), and generally been a good Trainer for them.

An-chan

Whoops.
Years

They don't. They make it seem like they would obey, but the truth is they are the ones in charge. They have taken control over the lifestyle of human world. Everything there is about Pokémon: TV programs, shops, hospitals, even arcades are about Pokémon junk. And the mastermind behind all this is no other than Arceus, who commands his little minions, the ones trainers think to be their beloved companions and pets. The truth is that Pokémon obey only Arceus. It just happens to be beneficial to Arceus to make them obey their trainers...

Truly, this is the only possible explanation, as all the other explanations have severe holes in them. This, my friends, is the truth behind Pokémon world. Sure, Pokémon become friends with their trainers, but this relationship is as fragile as is Arceus' will. If he commands, Pokémon obey.

But I've never used such an explanation. That might be because I'm currently finishing my first fic, Journey to Isle of Jade, in which nobody really commands their Pokémon that much. And Ivysaur does not obey anyway, because he thinks he knows best...
This conspiracy seems interesting, though. Maybe I'll use it one day. Or not. What do you think?

Last edited:

Buoysel

Trust me, I'm a Professional*
Years
Well, no. But I know how to explain it.

Please share ~E_M_Y~

They don't. They make it seem like they would obey, but the truth is they are the ones in charge. They have taken control over the lifestyle of human world. Everything there is about Pokémon: TV programs, shops, hospitals, even arcades are about Pokémon junk. And the mastermind behind all this is no other than Arceus, who commands his little minions, the ones trainers think to be their beloved companions and pets. The truth is that Pokémon obey only Arceus. It just happens to be beneficial to Arceus to make them obey their trainers...

Truly, this is the only possible explanation, as all the other explanations have severe holes in them. This, my friends, is the truth behind Pokémon world. Sure, Pokémon become friends with their trainers, but this relationship is as fragile as is Arceus' will. If he commands, Pokémon obey.

But I've never used such an explanation. That might be because I'm currently finishing my first fic, Journey to Isle of Jade, in which nobody really commands their Pokémon that much. And Ivysaur does not obey anyway, because he thinks he knows best...
This conspiracy seems interesting, though. Maybe I'll use it one day. Or not. What do you think?

That was weird. I am going to shy away from Arceus, I don't like it, not to mention HTH do you describe that; a goat that looks like a ****ing Christmas tree?

----

How does this sound: The Pokemon likes the human so much, that it just want's to please the human, like a dog would to you or I.

Negrek

Am I more than you bargained for yet?
Years
The Pokemon likes the human so much, that it just want's to please the human, like a dog would to you or I.
Depends on the level of intelligence of the pokémon. If it's only about as smart as a dog, or somehow extremely predisposed to follow a leader like that, it could work. If you wanted something more intelligent and independent, then obviously no, that doesn't make any sense.

Sunnybeam

when the sky is bright
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Jun 9, 2011
If you're going by anime or manga canon, you have to take into account that Pokemon have been shown in both to have some level of intelligence and self-awareness. Remember that "island of giant Pokemon" ep? They were actually having full conversations, albeit in a different language. And all were shown to be able to reason perfectly.

If you do a gameverse fic, there's more wiggle room, since there isn't much exploration into the intelligence level of Pokemon. I've never written 'animalistic' Pokemon, myself. In most of my fics, I use a semi-intelligent Pokemon race, where they are capable of sentient thought and reason but are still affected by instincts. In BotD, though, I'm toying with the idea of fully sentient Pokemon (one of Aqua's high school teachers is an Electabuzz, in fact)...and to tell the truth, it's kinda creepy. o__O

txteclipse

The Last
Years
So the ending to the Exquisite Corpse is at four pages right now, and I still have a ways to go. This is going to be rather epic. I'm trying very hard to finish by tomorrow, so be on the lookout!

Gummy

by fire be P U R G E D
Years

I don't really go in depth, but I usually have some touching moment between Pokemon and trainer before the Pokemon starts obeying commands. But of course, like Negrek already said, it depends entirely how intelligent and independent you choose to make the Pokemon in your fic.

Dragonfree

Teh Spwriter. :3
Years
Negrek's reasons, pretty much. In my fic, Pokémon that don't want anything to do with trainers generally stay out of the way of human routes and don't seek them out, so they're not encountered very often, but still sometimes; the others are mostly in it because they enjoy fighting in general and/or they feel a trainer can help them grow stronger. Pokémon are also generally not as well-versed in creative thinking as humans and thus being with a trainer generally benefits them in battle.

(Incidentally, Jax, I was just watching Firefly, and now your avatar is making me have fangirlsplosions. ;_;)

An-chan

Whoops.
Years
Let's put it this way:
Pokémon have to be pretty damn stupid if they attack trainers knowing they can be caught in Pokéballs. They must know it, because it's so common. So, why would they attack in the first place if obeying a trainer is something they would never ever do? Out of arrogancy or anger? No, I don't really think so, expecially when they always seem to attack trainers whose Pokémon are on higher levels than they are. Also, gaining a level increases Pokémon's happines, which also suggest that Pokémon like fighting.

Looking at it this way, isn't it apparent that obeying a trainer is just what Pokémon do?
It is an inborn urge of Pokémon to grow stronger and it seems that they like obeying and fighting, too. Even happiness Pokémon (or emotion Pokémon or whatever, I don't remember) like battling and gain happiness by gaining levels, even though logically thinking they should resent that sort of stuff. Or maybe these Pokémon are just a little piece of the actual Pokémon population due to the fact only the fighting-obsessed Pokémon attack trainers. Or maybe they just really are so damn stupid. :paranoid:

I think it's futile to try and come up with an adequate explanation for this, one that would satisfy everyone once and for all. We are speaking of an imaginary universe here, so trying to apply our sense of logic is - well - futile. ^-^'' In my honest opinion everyone should use whatever explanation suits their purposes best, and if readers have a problem with it, they're obviously reading a completely wrong piece of fiction for them and should go read something else, like, say, a detective story. ;)

I'm sorry for any repetitiveness and other stupidities in my post, it's pretty late at night here and I'm tired -_-

RR☆Oresama

Why? Has someone died? (¬_¬;)
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Oct 10, 2013
Haaai there, I'm wondering if you can put Pokemon references in a non-Pokefiction series and just place it in the Original Fiction forums. Is that all okay? :3 Thank you, and baaai! *thanks for the answers*

Klippy

L E G E N D of
Years
Haaai there, I'm wondering if you can put Pokemon references in a non-Pokefiction series and just place it in the Original Fiction forums. Is that all okay? :3 Thank you, and baaai! *thanks for the answers*

If your story is about, say, The Legend of Zelda, but you place a Pikachu into the story as a boss, you can post that here. If your story is about Pokemon and you have Zelda in it, then it'd be best to post that into the Pokemon Fanfiction area. :D That's just an example though.

So, yes, you may post your story here in Other Writing. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back