• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

The Rainbow Connection [LGBTS Club]

droomph

weeb
Years
I could totally imagine that. A gaydar gene XD. I also have a horrible time trying to figure out if somebody is gay or not (but that's because I am not a woman, and thusly do not ovulate).
But we men have some quirky times, like how we...

"We men just need to get it out once it a while. It's almost like a valve, and...you know? The city should put a red tag or something on it, and people would come by and say, 'That's not good, it's getting dangerously high'."
Not a direct quote from-Louis C.K.

And so that's our equivalent of ovulation.

Years
New break. This should be something fun to debate. My home state of California is deciding whether public universities should ask students to include their orientation on their paperwork when they apply for admission. Ostensibly it's to make sure there are enough support services for LGBT students on the campuses, but some say it's wading into some murky privacy territory.

[the article]

So would you want your prospective school to ask this? Would you answer it?

Alice

(>^.(>0.0)>
Years
I am out, so I wouldn't care too much... but I would want to know for sure why they are asking, and what they're going to do differently based on my answer.

As long as it's confidential, and optional, I don't think it's a problem if they ask.

Years
  • Age 32
  • UK
  • Seen Oct 17, 2023
New break. This should be something fun to debate. My home state of California is deciding whether public universities should ask students to include their orientation on their paperwork when they apply for admission. Ostensibly it's to make sure there are enough support services for LGBT students on the campuses, but some say it's wading into some murky privacy territory.

[the article]

Sounds fishy to me, would they like to know my favourite foods, colours and pokémon as well as people ;).

I would leave it blank, and possibly file a complaint if a job or college asked me that.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
I think it should be asked but not during the admission process. The information there should be reserved for information that's relevant to the decision of whether or not to admit a student.

I feel like my school would be more open to LGBT students if they knew how many of them came here, tbh. And since my school needs all the pushing it can get in the LGBT rights department...yeahh.

EGKangaroo

Tail-bumps for all 'roolovers!
Years
As it obviously shouldn't play a role in the admission itself, it's a bad place for such a question to be put. Sure, the purpose of it is understandable, but it's best to just ask that anywhere but on an application form. Relevancy is key there, and doing it this way will likely influence the considerations of some individuals on whom will be accepted, and whom won't be. If the schools really want to keep track of stuff like that, they should do it with yearly surveys, not through this kind of decisive paperwork.

droomph

weeb
Years
AW HEYL THAT AINT NO GOOD

No, I don't think so. No matter who you are and how liberal you might be, you'll be biased upon seeing that answer. Good or bad, still, it's a biased view on the person.

Victini

[the article]

I-I wouldn't mind answering, cause I don't mind who knows... it's not that big of a deal for me to be open about it...

But for the sake of others, I feel that as long as the information remains strictly confidential that it could be fine. It's still really odd to have that field on official paperwork though... it just doesn't seem at all necessary. It's personal information that isn't on a need-to-know basis.. :<

Alice

(>^.(>0.0)>
Years
Ah, I didn't read the post closely enough to realize that it was part of the application. If there's any chance that it could influence whether or not a person is accepted, then no.

Victini

If there's any chance that it could influence whether or not a person is accepted, then no.

Oh, this too.

It should definitely not happen if that becomes the case... and if it does, I'd leave the field blank.

TwiDragon

The fun shawl be doubled!
Years
Hey guys, I'm kind of back, xD

I got distracted with Minecraft O~O

I just wanted to see whats up you guys, as most of my friends on this site, hang out here.

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
Years
Hey welcome back TwiDragon :)

I'm actually not all that fussed about them asking for sexual orientation on a college application. I can't imagine that they'd use it as grounds not to admit somebody to the university (since lets face it, college is where gay people really start to get accepted for who they are, rather than in high school) so it's just another box to tick, really. If it's really for what they say it's for - ascertaining that there are adequate support services - then putting it on the college application is really just saving paper. Why ask the question after when you can do it all at once?

Kano Shuuya

→ you're here, aren't you?
Years
Welcome back. <3

And I think it's clever of them, honestly. At least it is if their really asking to be sure that the campus will have the right support system. Though I can see a lot of people answering untruthfully if they get nervous.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
Hey welcome back TwiDragon :)

I'm actually not all that fussed about them asking for sexual orientation on a college application. I can't imagine that they'd use it as grounds not to admit somebody to the university (since lets face it, college is where gay people really start to get accepted for who they are, rather than in high school) so it's just another box to tick, really. If it's really for what they say it's for - ascertaining that there are adequate support services - then putting it on the college application is really just saving paper. Why ask the question after when you can do it all at once?

There are colleges that don't allow faculty or students to be gay and go there.

EGKangaroo

Tail-bumps for all 'roolovers!
Years
Exactly, and the discrimination could eventually end up not being badly-intended but still present. Think of schools taking up certain quotas, like on the maximum number of gay students they'll take in as to make sure their facilities aren't put under too much strain, instead of them just expanding on the facilities at hand.

Shining Raichu

Years
Yeahhhh okay it's a bad idea then. Lets not do that one.

I seriously had no idea what Toujours said was even legal :/

Years
@Andy: They are legal if they're private universities, I believe.

And I didn't mean to imply that this whole thing about asking for information had actually taken place. It hasn't (as far as I know), just that it's being considered because there is a law in place in California that would allow them to do it if they choose to, though it would all be voluntary.

Personally, I don't like the idea of the information being attached to a person's name. Informal polls are good enough, I think. Plus, if you're in high school and applying for school you might not realize that it's pretty easy for your parents to review your applications and if you aren't out to your parents but plan to be if you go to college then you might inadvertently out yourself to your family.

Years
Courtesy of the lovely Toujours, here is a follow-up article to "I'm Christian, Unless You're Gay," which was posted here a few months back. It's powerful stuff.
For anyone who doesn't want to read the whole thing, it's the guy who wrote the original article sharing an email he got in which a mother tells how her son was assigned to read the article for school and write a response to it. The mother got all upset at this until her son came out to her via his response and she had a revelation about how hateful she was and has since changed her ways.

It seems kinda too perfect to believe. Maybe I'm just too cynical to be moved by it, but I do still hope it's genuine and that in some small town in America there are a bunch of people passing this story around and thinking for a change.

Shining Raichu

Years
I don't really think it's too perfect. And if it isn't true, I don't know that it even matters. Perception is everything, and if people read that story and are moved by its message and believe that it's true, then it is. The story remains just as strong whether it's real or fabrication... until somebody questions whether it's real or fabrication :P

Back