• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen Metal & Color Generation Help Thread

Best secondary Pokemon Growlithe, Abra, or Machop?

• Growlithe

Votes: 6 40.0%
  • Abra

Votes: 9 60.0%
  • Machop

Votes: 1 6.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
You should only worry about your team in the post-game, not before, or else you will have problems like HM's... All of them but Surf are weak compared to other moves, they shouldn't be used competitively.

Panfisha

BIGGLYPUFF?
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Dec 21, 2021
So I got gold version the other day (actual cartridge) and am trying to find a heracross. I know they come from headbutting trees and are rare.
Just wondering if there are any tricks to finding them, such as time of day, or certain locations to avoid?

Not sure if it was legit, but back when gold was new, there was a rumor that heracross was found most commonly in the morning hours.

EDIT: Solved on my own! Apparently heracross are only found in 'mountain' headbutt-able trees, such as those found on routes 33/32/31/30/29. This news comes too late for me, as I easily spent ~1 hour headbutting trees in Ilex forest and Azalea town (mainly because in HG/SS, heracross are found in Azalea town trees).

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Sep 1, 2013
Playing Yellow

Hello guys and girls. Im new here and the only reason i signed up is..obviously because im into Pokemon! Im actually pretty old (24 years old) and pokemon is part of my childhood. I remember playing pokemon red on my gameboy pocket (monochrome) but sadly the machine broke and i never bought one after that. I used to play pokemon ruby/saphire around 4-5 years ago but i honestly dont remember anything anymore. I recently watched some pokemon movies in order to refresh my memory and i got addicted again >.> So i started pokemon yellow on my VBA Emulator (though i do plan on getting a gameboy online when possible) and i just kicked the butt of the 3rd pokemon gym master with the electric raichu (one tough pokemon). Im actually reading a guide in a website because im completely noob at this point. I mainly made this thread because i have some questions. I have like 6 high level pokemons (not really high but those are my highest). Its pikachu-Butterfree-Mew-Piggeoto-Mankey-Nidorina and lastly digglet which i just cought in that cave near the 3rd gym. So my question is how exactly do i proceed with the game? Every time i go to a new area i find high level pokemons and it seems that my hard work for leveling my own pokemons was a waste because i can instantly catch a high level pokemon when i reach a specific area just like what i did with my 21 level digglet (caught this one because i wanted to use dig on raichu) and just now a duggtrio level 29 (which btw beat half my party and 1 shot my dinoqueen). The high level pokemons in certain areas are better than the ones i leveled or what? What tactic do you guys usually follow when it comes to having a main pokemon team? Should i be replacing my pokemon once i find another one with high level or the ones that i leveled can be good enough until the end?

Also, which types of pokemon do i need in my 6 man team in order to be protected from most trainers?

Any suggestion/tip would be really appreciated. Thanks for reading and sorry for the wall of text

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Aug 26, 2013
Hey Tralebus :) I'm new here as well!

I haven't played pokemon yellow for a long time now but what I used to do was plan ahead for which ever gym would be coming next.

I think you can actually get a charmander, bulbasaur and squirtle at the point you are at now in the game, I think you get the bulbasaur from Cerulean City, but I'm not sure about the other two, I'm sure the guide you are going through will tell you though.

Anyway, when I did play I would make sure the team I had was covered type wise, so that I had a good chance of beating an enemy no matter what pokemon they put out. The six types of pokemon I would have are:

fire, water, grass, flying, electric, psychic/ ground

The more types you have in your team, the more versatile you are.

About the obtaining the high level pokemon you are coming across - I would say if you think the pokemon will be more useful to you at that point in the game than another pokemon you already have then there is no harm in catching it, and if you decide after a while you don't want to use it, you can always store it in the PC.

Hope some of that information helped.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Sep 1, 2013
Hello Iceblast, thanks for your reply!

I have another question and id appreciate a suggestion. I am now in celadon city, just took the Evee and im wondering what to evolve it to. I guess Blue is going to evolve his into a jolteon since i never lost a battle against him. My party now has: level 30 pikachu, level 31 mew (i used the glitch i hope you dont judge me badly about this), level 30 nidoqeen, level 28 butterfree, level 26 piggeotto, level 31 primeape. I also have an abra that should be around level 27 now on that pokemon breeder and another kadabra level 27 that i caught earlier. Also have a duggtrio 29 level and a ratticate level 20, all that in the PC. What do you think is the appropriate evolution for my Evee? Or maybe i should just postpone evolving it for now? Generally, is evee's evolution a good end game pokemon? I heard duggtrip, mew and raichu are great for end game but that might be wrong.. I also heard that jolteon is very fast and strong but i dont know if it would be the right move since i already have an electrical pokemon. Anyway thank you very much :D

Elaitenstile

I am legend
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Feb 27, 2015
Hello Iceblast, thanks for your reply!

I have another question and id appreciate a suggestion. I am now in celadon city, just took the Evee and im wondering what to evolve it to. I guess Blue is going to evolve his into a jolteon since i never lost a battle against him. My party now has: level 30 pikachu, level 31 mew (i used the glitch i hope you dont judge me badly about this), level 30 nidoqeen, level 28 butterfree, level 26 piggeotto, level 31 primeape. I also have an abra that should be around level 27 now on that pokemon breeder and another kadabra level 27 that i caught earlier. Also have a duggtrio 29 level and a ratticate level 20, all that in the PC. What do you think is the appropriate evolution for my Evee? Or maybe i should just postpone evolving it for now? Generally, is evee's evolution a good end game pokemon? I heard duggtrip, mew and raichu are great for end game but that might be wrong.. I also heard that jolteon is very fast and strong but i dont know if it would be the right move since i already have an electrical pokemon. Anyway thank you very much :D

Hey, I'll give you a little tip. You see, since we can get all three starters in-game, your Water-Fire-Grass-Types are already covered.
So what's the choice pointing over to? Jolteon? But you have Pikachu! That's why just think hard on which one looks cooler or maybe choose randomly, unless you plan on taking Vaporeon, which is a good choice, if it weren't for Blastoise.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Sep 1, 2013
Hey, I'll give you a little tip. You see, since we can get all three starters in-game, your Water-Fire-Grass-Types are already covered.
So what's the choice pointing over to? Jolteon? But you have Pikachu! That's why just think hard on which one looks cooler or maybe choose randomly, unless you plan on taking Vaporeon, which is a good choice, if it weren't for Blastoise.

Thanks for the reply Hoenn :D

You see, thing is that i dont really like bulba/charm/squ as pokemons though their last forms are kind of cool. I do have all 3 already ( i think? or maybe i dont have squi? not sure) but i have not leveled them up so they must be around level 10 and leveling up takes a lot of time. Unless you have some leveling tips for me :D

Also, are those 3 pokemons (their last evolution) strong in end game? Will zapdos/articuno/moltres be better or i wont even be able to catch those in the end? What im asking is, the 3 starter pokemon are amongst the best in their respective field? (water/fire/grass) ?

vaporeon7

My life would suck without you
Years
Thanks for the reply Hoenn :D

You see, thing is that i dont really like bulba/charm/squ as pokemons though their last forms are kind of cool. I do have all 3 already ( i think? or maybe i dont have squi? not sure) but i have not leveled them up so they must be around level 10 and leveling up takes a lot of time. Unless you have some leveling tips for me :D

Also, are those 3 pokemons (their last evolution) strong in end game? Will zapdos/articuno/moltres be better or i wont even be able to catch those in the end? What im asking is, the 3 starter pokemon are amongst the best in their respective field? (water/fire/grass) ?

Zapdos is a good Pokémon as it can use Drill Peck and Thunderbolt. The other two only have one attack that they can use well and as such aren't very good. Exeggutor is the best grass type (but Venusaur and Victreebel are both still good), Charizard is probably one of the better fire types and Starmie and Lapras are probably the best water types.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Sep 1, 2013
Zapdos is a good Pokémon as it can use Drill Peck and Thunderbolt. The other two only have one attack that they can use well and as such aren't very good. Exeggutor is the best grass type (but Venusaur and Victreebel are both still good), Charizard is probably one of the better fire types and Starmie and Lapras are probably the best water types.

I see. Yes i read in various topics that zapdos is arguably the best electric pokemon (along with jolteon i guess) and that zapdos has an extra ability which is flying (which can also be a weakness i guess). For now this is my setup.

My 6 pokemon are:
Lapras (Level 30, i taught him thunderbolt, he also has body slam and a relatively weak water move and lastly sing)
Mew (Level 41, it has cut. rock slide, bubble beam, psychic.. all of which are great damage dealers.. even cut lol)
Gengar (Level 30, yes i figured out how to trade my haunter with blue pokemon and then get him back as gengar "took me 2 hours to figure out how to do it, especially because after the trade the save would not count for some reason" anyway he has night shade, hypnosis, confuse ray and lick)
Alakazam (Level 38, same goes^, he has Psychic, confusion, Recover, psybeam..hes very powerful)
Pidgeotto (Level 29, gust, razor wind, whirlwind and fly. The only reason i use him is because of the fly skill, i dont have other decent fly pokemon and my fearow is low level without any decent skills too).

Other pokemon in my vault, Duggtrio level 38 (hes very powerufl, at the moment not in the party because im leveling lapras/gengar. Primeape level 34 but i read machamp is better so i ll replace him once the breeder levels my machamp a bit. Butterfree, level 35, its a good pokemon especially because it combines sleep with psychic ability and i like it a lot but i never read butterfree in an end game build so i guess hes gonna stay in the vault. Raichu (yep evolved, i hated pikachu) level 35 and i think i wont be using him because i also got jolteon level 25 (problem is i dont have thunder attacks but i might level him up to 30 and then move him to blue version for 31 in order to grab thunderbolt) but then again im not sure if i should be wasting time since as everyone says zapdos is a better electric pokemon which can also fly.

Lastly, i dont want to be bugging you guys with questions but i just want if possible a suggestion regarding my party. Which pokemon should i dump and why? And which ones do i need, for example i have no fire/grass/normal pokemon yet. I heard chansey> best normal. exeggutor> best grass. How about fire? Btw i caught that level 30 sleeping snorlax, i guess chansey is better than snorlax?

Any suggestions will be much appreciated, thanks again.

PS: Since mew is such a versatile pokemon, would it be worth teaching him some fire move as well? Because by having mew with 3/4 different types of skills i can use the rest of the slots for other useful pokemon such as ground and grass. What is your opinion, or id be better off with a pure fire pokemon?

Last edited:

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
Flamethrower isn't a TM in GSC, unfortunately. The only way to get Flamethrower is by level up (which isn't a large array of Pokemon) or the move tutor in Crystal. Or cheating, buuuut...;(

CliCliW

I have a Ph.D in Horribleness.
Years
Hi, can you guys advise on the legitimacy of this cart. please? Not sure if it is or not, but curious now..

http://www.adverts.ie/nintendo/pokemon-crystal/3862762

And a picture of the cart:
ZDM3NjQ1MTZkYzkxN2U1NDBjODJlODFiZjJlZjVhNmXjX4BX-4_-h6Www4tZfUVYaHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmFkc2ltZy5jb20vMTZkMjc5ZWIzZmMzNDhjMjU4MmFlZWFkYmRiNDY5NDdiY2JhZTNiNzAwOGRlYTIxNDgyZmFlNGVkZDczNWYwNi5qcGd8fDUyNXx8fHx8aHR0cDovL3d3dy5hZHZlcnRzLmllL3N0YXRpYy9pL3dhdGVybWFyay5wbmd8fGh0dHA6Ly93d3cuYWR2ZXJ0cy5pZS9zdGF0aWMvaS9ub25lLWltYWdlLmpwZ3w=.jpg

Going from the one picture the seller posted it doesn't look too convincing. I'm aware that the standard Crystal Cartridge looks way different so I really dunno what to think of it.

Opinions?

CliCliW

Years
Hi, can you guys advise on the legitimacy of this cart. please? Not sure if it is or not, but curious now..

http://www.adverts.ie/nintendo/pokemon-crystal/3862762

And a picture of the cart:
ZDM3NjQ1MTZkYzkxN2U1NDBjODJlODFiZjJlZjVhNmXjX4BX-4_-h6Www4tZfUVYaHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmFkc2ltZy5jb20vMTZkMjc5ZWIzZmMzNDhjMjU4MmFlZWFkYmRiNDY5NDdiY2JhZTNiNzAwOGRlYTIxNDgyZmFlNGVkZDczNWYwNi5qcGd8fDUyNXx8fHx8aHR0cDovL3d3dy5hZHZlcnRzLmllL3N0YXRpYy9pL3dhdGVybWFyay5wbmd8fGh0dHA6Ly93d3cuYWR2ZXJ0cy5pZS9zdGF0aWMvaS9ub25lLWltYWdlLmpwZ3w=.jpg

Going from the one picture the seller posted it doesn't look too convincing. I'm aware that the standard Crystal Cartridge looks way different so I really dunno what to think of it.

Opinions?

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
That is absolutely fake. Crystal cartridges are not that color, and they're for Game Boy Color, not for...GAME. They didn't even try with that one...wow haha.

CliCliW

Years
I was pretty sure it is too, I wasn't sure about it tho because I've had a chicken run game from turkey that had the "GAME" thing across the top :-) ah well :-)

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Nov 9, 2013
DVs and Hidden Power

Hello there,

I'm having trouble figuring out how DVs and Hidden Power are determined in Crystal. I have read and understood everything so far in a GUIDE (psypokes(dot)com/gsc/dv.php) by psypoke.

I thought I have caught the mechanics and I tried to apply to my current game. But it did not turn out as expected. Somehow all of my Pokemons' stats at level 100 are NOT IN THE MIN-MAX RANGE according to both bulbapedia and psypoke's data.

As a result, as I put my Raichu's stats in the DV Generator created by psypoke, it returned errors.

Here is the picture.

i(dot)imgur(dot)com/zqKrsDo.png?1

My Raichu is in Pokemon Crystal. It was a Pichu which hatched from an Egg, evolved using Happiness and a Thunderstone.

P.S: Forum does not allow me to post outside link because I have not posted at least 15 posts so sorry for the inconvenience T.T

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Nov 9, 2013
^ well the box Stat Exp I have chose the "All" option instead of "None" option.

Even when I chose the "None" option, my stat points are still out of range. This min-max thing messes up my head so hard I don't even know what it is anymore.

I only know that, this is my Raichu. I leveled it up from a level 5 Pichu. They said it would be better if my pokemon is at level 100 so I can calculate the DVs point easier. I used Rare Candy to raise it up, and copied down the stats in the game. I put it in their tool/program and it returned errors. There must be something wrong here but I can't figure out why.

If you are free, can you check how it works for me by using your own Pokemon and stats?

Ai

; ♥ ~
Years
I didn't own any of the gen 1 games as a kid, so I recently decided to start buying them. Apologies if this has been asked before, but does anyone know the difference between the RBY cartridges with a solid black E rating and a white E?

I've bought fake games before and now I've made sure to first compare the seller's cartridge with pictures of the ones I find online, but this is really bothering me.

Is one fake and the other authentic? It is just a region difference in the label? Do I have anything to worry about?

Here are some quick images from sellers and Google to show what I mean:

Red - Black E / White E
Blue - Black E / White E
Yellow - Black E / White E

Any help would be appreciated! :)

Captain Gizmo

Monkey King
Years
So right now I'm at Mahogany town and I still didn't evolve my Nidorino. Where can I find a Moon Stone?

This is for Pokemon Silver, btw.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back