The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Current Generation Pokémon Gaming > Pokémon X & Pokémon Y

Notices

Pokémon X & Pokémon Y The Kalos region awaits! Explore a new world, capture new Pokémon, and fight off Team Flare in the newest installment of the core Pokémon series.
X/Y Quick Q&A | X/Y Friend Code Sharing Thread

Old September 14th, 2013, 04:47 AM
MIAU
Community Supporter

Nature: Quiet
Well, if they said that some Flying-types and Pokemon with Levitate will be able to participate, how about some Pokemon that don't fit any of those categories? The only one that comes to mind right now is Golurk; he's neither a Flying-type, nor has Levitate, but he can learn Fly. Actually, many Ghost-types seem to be floating in the air, while not being Flying-types nor having Levitate, like Cofagrigus, Chandelure, Honedge and Froslass. I know, I know, they said that those two were the only criteria for participation, but there's no harm in a little wishful thinking until we finally get the games, right?

That being said, I'm actually looking forward to Sky Battles, why not? Even without any kind of special reward, a new type of battle, with its own set of rules, is always welcome. What I'm hoping is that apart from the limitations on which Pokemon can be used, we'd be getting an entirely new mechanic to go with Sky Battles, like some sort of outside effect, something related to wind, maybe?
Old September 14th, 2013, 07:58 AM
Mithel_Celestia
Alluring Illusion

Nature: Modest
Sky battles are taken to latitude that simple "floating" pokemon cannot keep up. Thinking real-world physically, Pokemon like Metagross and Magnezone, though can easily fly and show it through magnet rise, are still limited to near ground flight and might not manage an air to air sky combat. Think of it like normal ground based rockets. Although similar to AA Missles, ground rockets won't have enough energy to propel themselves high enough or fast enough to catch up. Same goes for non-flying/levitating floating pokemon, who might need more effort to compete.

Trainer Data:
Full Name: Mithel "Myth" Celestia
Hometown: Lacunosa Town
Trainer class: Ranger, Psychic, Deceiver*
Specializes in: Dark, Psychic-Types

*Deceiver (Japanese: 奇術師 Illusionist) is a type of trainer class who specializes in Illusions and deceptive tactics to take advantage of their opponents. They are tricksters and tend to disguise themselves as another trainer class to deceive challenging trainers, but soon break off of it as soon as they are found. They tend to use annoyer and stall tactics such as Embargo and Swagger along with bulky and fast Dark-types like Zoroark and Umbreon to give trainers a hard time during battle.
Old September 14th, 2013, 08:08 AM
Lance
Master of Dragons

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via Skype™ to Lance
I'm hoping they keep it to strictly Flying types & levitating Ghosts and whatnot. Something like Golurk just hanging out would look wierd, haha. As long as the battle animations look pretty, I'll give it a shot.

Here's to hoping we could have underwater battles like this next. :D That would be so cool.
Old September 14th, 2013, 08:16 AM
MarinoKadame

Why not underground battle with only Rock, Ground and Steel and most pokemons that can learn Dig ?
Friend Safari: Water
Slot1: Octillery Slot2: Wartortle Slot3: Frogadier
TSV: 2844
Friend list full but still open to trades.
Old September 14th, 2013, 08:19 AM
madisonblue96

Nature: Jolly
HA ha, I'd pay to see dodou or dodrio in a sky battle!
Old September 14th, 2013, 08:26 AM
MIAU
Community Supporter

Nature: Quiet
Actually, Golurk flying is quite a sight, if we go by anime logic, hehe.

So he'd probably be alright high up in the sky. And yeah, now that Celestia mentioned it, my idea of having Pokemon that can merely float above ground partipate in a Sky Battle is kind of exaggerated sadly.

As for underwater battles, that would be so cool, the scenery would be amazing, I'd love something like that. But there is one problem: we can already battle underwater, while diving, and we can also battle while surfing. And using any Pokemon, not just those who can swim, so how will they make it happen?
Old September 14th, 2013, 08:52 AM
BraveNewWorld
The Breaker

Nature: Adamant
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livewire View Post
I'm hoping they keep it to strictly Flying types & levitating Ghosts and whatnot. Something like Golurk just hanging out would look wierd, haha. As long as the battle animations look pretty, I'll give it a shot.

Here's to hoping we could have underwater battles like this next. :D That would be so cool.
Like Pokemon: Spell of the Unknown?

That would be pretty cool.
Old September 15th, 2013, 05:52 PM
Aeroblast
Cutting inside like a boss
Community Supporter

Nature: Serious
So what's different for the sky battle from regular ones besides Pokemon being restricted? (well, that's obvious)

Maybe I'm missing something but I haven't kept up with the sky battle thing.
Old September 15th, 2013, 06:49 PM
Boilurn
Scald Pokémon

Nature: Mild
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIAU View Post
Well, if they said that some Flying-types and Pokemon with Levitate will be able to participate, how about some Pokemon that don't fit any of those categories? The only one that comes to mind right now is Golurk; he's neither a Flying-type, nor has Levitate, but he can learn Fly. Actually, many Ghost-types seem to be floating in the air, while not being Flying-types nor having Levitate, like Cofagrigus, Chandelure, Honedge and Froslass.
I agree. I think Pokemon than learn "Fly" should have permission to enter a sky battle. Speaking of these types of battles, I wonder if the next Flying-type Gym (If there is one) would be based on a Sky Battle. That would be an unforgettable moment for all players.
Old September 15th, 2013, 07:17 PM
Endless
& by looking through

Nature: Careful
Send a message via AIM to Endless
I could see flying-type moves gaining some sort of a power-up in sky battles. Kind of like how fire and water moves get their power increased out in the sun and rain, respectively. d:

Quote:
Why not underground battle with only Rock, Ground and Steel and most pokemons that can learn Dig ?
That wouldn't make too much sense, because how are you going to be able to know what your Pokémon are doing when they're underground? Plus, they probably wouldn't be able to hear your commands at all. Sky battles work because you could see your Pokémon's movements when you look up into the sky, but that isn't the case for underground battles.

Last edited by Endless; September 15th, 2013 at 07:23 PM.
Old September 17th, 2013, 10:47 PM
Shrew
is a shrew

Nature: Lonely
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarinoKadame View Post
Sinnoh was well-known for its underground. I could easily imagine a new region also being known for their underground, and having these type of battles.
Old September 26th, 2013, 04:23 PM
Khrysta

Send a message via Skype™ to Khrysta
Well, yesterday they released info from a magazine with an interview in it and it said Sky Battles are limited ONLY to Flying Type Pokemon and Pokemon with the ability Levitate. There are restrictions on moves that can be used in the Sky Battles.

I assume Ground moves are not viable in it because of obvious reasons....I can see Rock Type moves being ineligible as well.

I wonder if they still plan to disable Sky Battles for some Pokemon that don't really make sense like Mantine, Gyarados, Mantyke, Doduo, Dodrio, Tynamo's line, Gligar, and some bugs?

I wonder what other attacks will be not allowed in the battle.
Old September 26th, 2013, 04:46 PM
Endless
& by looking through

Nature: Careful
Send a message via AIM to Endless
Most physical-based attacks would be banned from sky battles, I'm guessing, such as Earthquake, Waterfall, Dig, Avalanche, and maybe Rock Slide. d: They may also restrict a few of the special ones, but Earth Power and Gravity are the only ones that I'm able to think of right now. Gravity would ruin the purpose of sky battles, because it'd force all Pokémon to be on the land.

Last edited by Endless; September 26th, 2013 at 04:55 PM.
Old September 30th, 2013, 10:53 PM
Shrew
is a shrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perdition Haze View Post
Most physical-based attacks would be banned from sky battles, I'm guessing, such as Earthquake, Waterfall, Dig, Avalanche, and maybe Rock Slide. d: They may also restrict a few of the special ones, but Earth Power and Gravity are the only ones that I'm able to think of right now. Gravity would ruin the purpose of sky battles, because it'd force all Pokémon to be on the land.
I wouldn't say most physical attacks, considering things like Peck, Wing Attack, Sky Attack, Brave Bird, Aerial Ace, and so forth are physical. Similar to how we have a contact/no-contact and sound categories for moves, what if there was an "Requires Environment?" category for moves... things like Dig, Dive, Earthquake, Rock Slide, Fly, Nature Power, and so forth. In sky battles, any move which requires an environment that makes no sense would be banned.

Also: Landorus (Ground/Flying) can learn Smack Down... food for thought.
Old October 1st, 2013, 08:08 AM
Shiarra
Ghost Of The Forest

I like the sound of this mechanic, it also makes me think of something funny, what is they made as a downloadable giveaway a pikachu that floats in the air cause of balloons tied to it's back.
Old October 1st, 2013, 09:14 AM
MarinoKadame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiarra View Post
I like the sound of this mechanic, it also makes me think of something funny, what is they made as a downloadable giveaway a pikachu that floats in the air cause of balloons tied to it's back.
I would like to have it female so it can be ChuChu the Pikachu Yellow have in the manga since she know Fly, it was sad that in HEart Gold and Soul Silver they switched the gender of surfing and flying pikachus.
Friend Safari: Water
Slot1: Octillery Slot2: Wartortle Slot3: Frogadier
TSV: 2844
Friend list full but still open to trades.
Old October 1st, 2013, 09:53 AM
Khrysta

Send a message via Skype™ to Khrysta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiarra View Post
Quote:
I would like to have it female so it can be ChuChu the Pikachu Yellow have in the manga since she know Fly, it was sad that in HEart Gold and Soul Silver they switched the gender of surfing and flying pikachus.
It would be cool, though they'd have to create a new form for Pikachi in order to do this and I don't see them doing this.

Since Pikachu isn't a Flying type and can't get Levitate it can't participate in the Sky Battles.

@The landorus comment...Smack Down may be a banned move since it temporarily disables Flying type immunity and essentially "Grounds" the pokemon...for that Roost may also be banned/unusable due to the same issue....which means only Pokemon like Butterfree and Beautifly get a recovery attack as far as I have seen unless more can learn Recover (can't recall any outside of Psychic and ghosts), Moon Light (Same as Recover), or Morning Sun (The two I mentioned are the only two I can recall right off)
Old October 1st, 2013, 11:28 AM
Shiarra
Ghost Of The Forest

Quote:
I loved that manga, and that could work, but i think someone would need to suggest it to gamefreak directly, whether or not they'd consider it, let alone look at the email of it, not sure.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links