• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[ARCHIVE] Simple Questions (SEARCH BEFORE ASKING A QUESTION)

Status
Not open for further replies.

redriders180

Mastermind of Pokemon Glazed
Years
hey, I was wondering if there is a way in a script to take pokemon away from the PC.

Also, is there a way to make an event where you can't continue unless you have certain pokemon caught in the wild?

If you're using Firered, there's a Pokemon checker special. The code would work like this:
Code:
setvar 0x8004 POKEMON_TO_SEARCH_FOR'S_HEX_NUMBER
special2 LASTRESULT 0x17C
compare LASTRESULT 0x1
if 0x1 goto @event
If you're using Ruby, I don't know of anything that'd work.

Is there a way to change the gym badges to the right color?

I've got my new gym badges in the right shapes but their colors are messed up even though I said to export the pallet.

As far as I can tell, you're limited to just five colors: White, Light gray, medium gray, dark gray, and black. After some sleuthing, I found the pallate at 0x3CD2C2, which you can edit with Advance Pallate Editor (found on the same page as Overworld Editor Rebirth Edition from my earlier answer). Of course, make sure you MAKE A BACKUP BEFOREHAND.

Edit: The pallate could be at either 0x3CD2C2 or 0x3CD2E2. They're identical, so if one doesnt work, try the other.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Dec 30, 2012
If you're using Firered, there's a Pokemon checker special. The code would work like this:
Code:
setvar 0x8004 POKEMON_TO_SEARCH_FOR'S_HEX_NUMBER
special2 LASTRESULT 0x17C
compare LASTRESULT 0x1
if 0x1 goto @event
If you're using Ruby, I don't know of anything that'd work.

As far as I can tell, you're limited to just five colors: White, Light gray, medium gray, dark gray, and black. After some sleuthing, I found the pallate at 0x3CD2C2, which you can edit with Advance Pallate Editor (found on the same page as Overworld Editor Rebirth Edition from my earlier answer). Of course, make sure you MAKE A BACKUP BEFOREHAND.

Edit: The pallate could be at either 0x3CD2C2 or 0x3CD2E2. They're identical, so if one doesnt work, try the other.

Oh ok. :)

I should've thought of using APE. XD

But I have much bigger problem on my hands now. My game freezes every time my Pokemon try to evolve. :c

I have no idea why it's happening.

redriders180

Years
Oh ok. :)

I should've thought of using APE. XD

But I have much bigger problem on my hands now. My game freezes every time my Pokemon try to evolve. :c

I have no idea why it's happening.

Surprisingly enough, that's happened to me before. The only thing to do is to restart from a backup point, or restart completely. Just try every backup and see if you can evolve or not.

Last edited:

MsAllyJacqui

I'm different.
Years
Okay, I'm a complete noob with XSE (I only got it today ^^') And I'm having so many problems, that I want to rip my hair out.
I've read multiple tutorials about XSE, and after about half an hour I figured out how to compile. And... that's as far as I got. I put the offset to a npc, and tried to talk to them - and nothing. It didn't even make the click sound.
I think this belongs here, rather then the script help thread - since I've tried multiple pre-made scripts and it still hasn't worked.
Is there something I'm missing? As I said, I only got XSE today so I'm completely new to it.

Binary

え?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Apr 7, 2014
Okay, I'm a complete noob with XSE (I only got it today ^^') And I'm having so many problems, that I want to rip my hair out.
I've read multiple tutorials about XSE, and after about half an hour I figured out how to compile. And... that's as far as I got. I put the offset to a npc, and tried to talk to them - and nothing. It didn't even make the click sound.
I think this belongs here, rather then the script help thread - since I've tried multiple pre-made scripts and it still hasn't worked.
Is there something I'm missing? As I said, I only got XSE today so I'm completely new to it.
I don't think any of us learned how to script in one day, so there's nothing to be really frustrated about. Learning how to script comes from trial and error, and experimentation. So I suggest that you don't let your hopes down. As for scripting tutorials, I'd suggest you read the in-built XSE Guide which I think, covers a lot of stuff. You could also read diegoisawesome's scripting tutorial. Good luck. C:

MsAllyJacqui

I'm different.
Years

I don't think any of us learned how to script in one day, so there's nothing to be really frustrated about. Learning how to script comes from trial and error, and experimentation. So I suggest that you don't let your hopes down. As for scripting tutorials, I'd suggest you read the in-built XSE Guide which I think, covers a lot of stuff. You could also read diegoisawesome's scripting tutorial. Good luck. C:

I discovered my problem. For whatever reason, if I place a new npc is my starter town it won't work. If I place it in any other map, its fine.
(So me almost raging at XSE was all pointless. yay. :D)

Years
  • Seen Dec 30, 2012
Surprisingly enough, that's happened to me before. The only thing to do is to restart from a backup point, or restart completely. Just try every backup and see if you can evolve or not.
I had to back up all the way to the beginning. Ah well. It was easy enough to copy over my progress to the new game. I think looking back I messed up when I looked at myself on the A-trainer program.

AustinWolff

has left
Years
I am making an OW of one of the main characters, but I have a problem:

Spoiler:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-01-06 at 5.30.01 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-01-06 at 5.30.01 PM.png
    6.4 KB · Views: 106
Years
  • Seen Apr 7, 2016
This is my first time making a FireRed ROM hack (and ROM hacks in general, actually), and I have a problem I can't seem to fix:

(Using AdvanceMap, by the way)

I created a new map and inserted it just fine (it's a cave). I then went ahead and created warps so that I can get in and out. Now, my problem: I can get in the cave perfectly fine. I can't, however, get out. I don't know what to do; it's been bugging me for 2 days now. What would I need to do to fix that?

redriders180

Years
This is my first time making a FireRed ROM hack (and ROM hacks in general, actually), and I have a problem I can't seem to fix:

(Using AdvanceMap, by the way)

I created a new map and inserted it just fine (it's a cave). I then went ahead and created warps so that I can get in and out. Now, my problem: I can get in the cave perfectly fine. I can't, however, get out. I don't know what to do; it's been bugging me for 2 days now. What would I need to do to fix that?

Did you create warps inside the cave? Also, in caves, there's usually a specific tile that looks exactly like a normal ground tile, which displays the pointing-down-arrow. Make sure you put this wherever there's a spot a cave should be entered/exited

Years
editing routes in pokemon emerald using Advance map?

Hello,

I have learnt a lot through the tutorials on the site. I learnt how to use advance trainer, change what Pokemon appear where in the wild, edit Pokemon trains are holding as well as their attacks, but also how to edit how/when Pokemon evolve as well as their move sets.

One of the few things i would like to learn now is how to edit the routes in Pokemon and how to make wild Pokemon appear there, because everything i try to change something in places the game will just not work anymore or it does corrupt some in-game events which have to occur.

I looked at a thread on how to change the maps in pokemon firered, but when i try it i gives me white screen and the games does not load.

Any help is appreciated thanks very much for reading. When i am done with the maps i would love to release a first beta of the changes i have done.

masterquestmq

Enthusiastic Rom Hacker
Years
  • Seen Nov 19, 2023
I found that someone did research on used flags in fire red. but after hours of searching for it again cant seem to find it.

working with JPAN's engine

I knw the special flags are in the 0x800 region

wheres a safe place to add new flags

so far ive been using 0x200 n move up by 1 for every new event.

just out of curiosity which offset do u guys use?

redriders180

Years
I found that someone did research on used flags in fire red. but after hours of searching for it again cant seem to find it.

working with JPAN's engine

I knw the special flags are in the 0x800 region

wheres a safe place to add new flags

so far ive been using 0x200 n move up by 1 for every new event.

just out of curiosity which offset do u guys use?

I started at flag 0x28, and add one for each new event. Flag 0x28 is the first flag I found that isn't related to Rock Smash rocks/Cut trees/Strength boulders in the original Firered. Since I'm not using any events from Firered, I can proceed normally. Some flags you should not use. Flag 0x266 is one of these flags (it gets set when the player has an egg in the Daycare). Just make sure to do research.

Edit: Many flags are also auto-set by the game. For a full list, look here

miksy91

Dark Energy is back in action! ;)
Years
I am currently hacking a Pokemon Blue ROM, and back when I started (early 2011) I noticed that the opening theme with Snorlax and Jigglypuff was glitched up.

33k83yx.jpg

When Jigglypuff headbutts,
it instead decide to fly around the screen
(and off screen) for a while,
then then title screen is finally shown.​

I didn't care at the time because you can simply skip the intro before it glitches up. Now since I have more knowledge of Pokemon ROM hacking and hex editing, I wanted to find out how to fix this glitch. All I'm asking is for the area in the data that I can look up in a hex editor where the opening takes place. Thanks.
If you've been keeping backups, you can check which version has the glitch and which one doesn't. After that, make an ips patch that can be used into the non-glitchy rom to make that one glitchy.
Then, open the ips patch with a hex editor and you can check where in rom area the patch is used to modify bytes.

If you don't have backups, your best bet would be asking someone who has modified the intro of R/B for info where the graphics are located. After you know where, calculate a pointer to that offset and find the asm for the intro.

I can't figure any other ways to do it currently but I hope either one of these helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back