• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Is this a good Milotic set?

Soopa Derp Cat

You dank memester you
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Oct 14, 2016
Ability: Marvel Scale

M1: Toxic
M2: Scald
M3: Recover
M4: Refresh

Item: Leftovers
Nature: Can't think of it off the top of my head
General purpose: Wall, Toxic inflictor

This Milotic set clutches most of my victories, and is usually the last mon standing in my defeats. I sort of want to give it either Attract or Dragon Tail since they're both pretty good defensive moves (and Dragon Tail ain't half-bad offensively), but at the same time what I have seems to work fairly well and if I were to replace any of her moves, I'm not really sure which ones it would be. I kinda feel like Marvel Scale makes Refresh a bit counterproductive considering she has recover, but at the same time my main concern is Toxic since that can't really be kept in check by merely recovering HP.

What do you guys think? Should I leave it as it is, or should I change it up a bit?

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Ability: Marvel Scale

M1: Toxic
M2: Scald
M3: Recover
M4: Refresh

Item: Leftovers
Nature: Can't think of it off the top of my head
General purpose: Wall, Toxic inflictor

This Milotic set clutches most of my victories, and is usually the last mon standing in my defeats. I sort of want to give it either Attract or Dragon Tail since they're both pretty good defensive moves (and Dragon Tail ain't half-bad offensively), but at the same time what I have seems to work fairly well and if I were to replace any of her moves, I'm not really sure which ones it would be. I kinda feel like Marvel Scale makes Refresh a bit counterproductive considering she has recover, but at the same time my main concern is Toxic since that can't really be kept in check by merely recovering HP.

What do you guys think? Should I leave it as it is, or should I change it up a bit?
Refresh is counterproductive with Marvel Scale. Attract is a gamble because you'll never know if the opponent will be the opposite gender of Milotic. Don't bother with it. Haze is the best filler option, though Dragon Tail is a fine substitute if you didn't breed for Haze. While Dragon Tail inflicts some damage and forces a switch, it's useless against Substitute users. However, Haze can be prevented with Taunt.

Soopa Derp Cat

You dank memester you
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Oct 14, 2016
Hmmm, Haze DOES seem like a pretty good alternative now that you bring it up. Still won't be nice having to deal with Toxic even with the cumulative effect taken away, but that's no biggy. What is a bit of a biggy is that it also effects the target, meaning I won't be able to toxic stall them nearly as well.

smocks

fiat lux
Years
I would also say get rid of Refresh because it goes against Marvel Scale :p

But if you're aiming for a toxic wall staller, I would replace Refresh with Protect so you can recover just a tiny bit with leftovers and increase toxic damage

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Hmmm, Haze DOES seem like a pretty good alternative now that you bring it up. Still won't be nice having to deal with Toxic even with the cumulative effect taken away, but that's no biggy. What is a bit of a biggy is that it also effects the target, meaning I won't be able to toxic stall them nearly as well.

Refresh only cures the user's status conditions, not both sides.

Soopa Derp Cat

You dank memester you
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Oct 14, 2016
Refresh only cures the user's status conditions, not both sides.

That's my point. Why would I want to use Haze when it gets rid of the cumulative toxic effect on my opponents as well? I mean, +50% defense from Marvel Scale is pretty nice, but is it really worth giving up the ability to stall with Toxic, when the biggest threat is special electric moves that won't be effected by the physical defense buff anyway?

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
That's my point. Why would I want to use Haze when it gets rid of the cumulative toxic effect on my opponents as well? I mean, +50% defense from Marvel Scale is pretty nice, but is it really worth giving up the ability to stall with Toxic, when the biggest threat is special electric moves that won't be effected by the physical defense buff anyway?

Haze no longer affects the Toxic counter; that effect was only there in Gens I and II. It only erases stat changes from Gen III onward.

Soopa Derp Cat

You dank memester you
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Oct 14, 2016
Haze no longer affects the Toxic counter; that effect was only there in Gens I and II. It only erases stat changes from Gen III onward.

Well then I really don't get the point. Refresh is there almost exclusively to make sure that I don't get toxic stalled. Why would I replace it with Haze when Haze doesn't even sort of alleviate the overarching problem of dying to Toxic damage? I get that Marvel Scale can be pretty useful, but my Milo never really falls to a physical move; it's almost always either a special electric or grass attack, or the afformentioned cumulative effect of Toxic.

Note: I'm sorry if what I'm doing comes off as disrespectful towards your far more extensive battling experience; I realize that you know much, much more about any of this than I do. I'm just trying to figure out how exactly this strategy would work out.

Last edited:

Soopa Derp Cat

You dank memester you
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Oct 14, 2016
What I've gathered from all of this is that Refresh is the better move for singles, while Haze is the better move for doubles. And while I know that doubles are the general competitive format, I've always preferred singles. So I guess I'll just stick with Refresh unless I eventually decide I want to go full-on competitive. Which I probably won't, considering my schedule. Don't get me wrong, I still want to be good at Pokémon, it's just not my main hobby. But thanks for the advice anyway.

Last edited:

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
What I've gathered from all of this is that Refresh is the better move for singles, while Haze is the better move for doubles. And while I know that doubles are the general competitive format, I've always preferred singles. So I guess I'll just stick with Refresh unless I eventually decide I want to go full-on competitive. Which I probably won't, considering my schedule. Don't get me wrong, I still want to be good at Pokémon, it's just not my main hobby. But thanks for the advice anyway.

Haze is still good in singles. You very rarely see setup moves in doubles, given the fast pace there.

Back