• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen How did you defeat Cynthia's Garchomp?

Years
As we all know, Cynthia is regarded by many as the hardest opponent in the series, with a team packing very strong and/or bulky Pokémon like Spiritomb and Milotic, with max IVs across the board, but none stands out as much as her ace, Garchomp, a Ground/Dragon-type with very strong HP, Attack and Speed stats. Some people have been swept by this thing without even being able to do anything to it, while others have beaten it with clever strategy. It's even regarded as extremely fast, being able to go before some of the fastest Pokémon you may have. So, how have you managed to defeat this disaster?

I remember the first time I played Pearl I think, this thing KO'ed one of my Pokémon with Giga Impact, and then I went to my Gastrodon which was a bit over Level 50, and I went for Ice Beam and did over half, but her Sitrus Berry healed her health. I recall managing to defeat it with my next hit, but i'm not certain. (Or it may have been the other way around...)

That was just one occasion, I can surely name a few others. How about you? How have you managed to overcome this nightmare? Discuss.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Feb 27, 2020
I got lucky. My glaceon used ice shard and got a critical hit. It was already holding never melt ice. Lol best k.o. I have ever had.

Years
I made a topic on this before so I'll just copy paste what I said back there :D

I had to restart several times before getting some luck with Hypnosis.

Spiritomb had no chance with my Noctowl being on rampage. Hypnosis, Air slash and hyper potion. bye Spiritomb.

Next up Togekiss. This wouldn't have been succ a problem if Cynthia wouldn't keep withdrawing it and throwing out Garchomp. But finally after 2-3 restarts, Discharge smashed critically and Togekisseed my Luxray's ass.

Garchomp...more like pain in the ass. I needed Hypnosis, Blizzard and whatnot, took me at least 4-5 revives and mega ultra potions. And my Mega tank aka Empoleon couldnt step in cos this dragon would just earthquake his ass. Finally I managed to get rid of him.

Now Lucario. I was sure Noctowl would deal with him, but after one Stone Edge and KO, I was sure it was over. Lmao, however, I did not expect that Surf would be so powerful against him. huehuehue.

Now I had two more Pokemon, but most of my Pokemon were on zero health. Only Empoleon and Luxray and Noctowl I believe were left and their health was on minimum. Guess it's over.
Next up Roserade. I was so sure I was done. But hell no, Empoleon was a mountain in this one. Sludge bomb, Energy ball, Extracensorryorwhateveritscalled, nothing could get to him. This was awesome cos I could revive and cure the rest of my team, over and over. Noctowl hypnosed him, she withdrew, Luxray almost killed Miltoic, but that Feebas-evo surfed all over him. Mega tank took in all the Surf, Magic Cloak, Ice beam, and Dragon pulse as if they were a snack. Bam, Miltotic down.

Roserade left, again, revive and potions on the whole team, and I actually had some problems, but Empoleon surfed over that flower as if she was nothing.

Anyway, this was the hardest battle I've had, tied with Lance in Soulsilver.

The Amazing Justin

The Original Player
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Oct 28, 2016
I had my own Garchomp and it was slightly higher leveled. With Infernape, Torterra, Empoleon, Pikachu and Mismagius behind it, I was able to take out the rest of her team with not much difficulty.

Dedenne1

[SPAN="FONT-SIZE:16.5PX; FONT-FAMILY: SATISFY; TEX
Years
Well for one i had my Garchomp which took a swat at him and well that didnt end well so i used my glaceon :) it was pretty simple glaceon actually has pretty good speed and i didnt need to use blizzard since it was 4x so the accuracy took care of that. But it was a very powerful pokemon!

Years
I managed to deal with it without losing too much HP, surprisingly. I always make sure my Pokemon are trained enough for the E4, anyway, so I just needed to use a bit of strategy and I would be fine. Torterra was my highest level Pokemon at the time and it could take hits pretty well, I just made sure I had weakened Chomp before sending Terra out and then I'm pretty sure it only took 2 Giga Drains to finish it off.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jun 29, 2019
I used a combination of Ice Beam/Ice Punch with my Swampert during the rematch. First time around, I stomached an EQ with my Empoleon with just 6 HP remaining which allowed me to retaliate in kind with a Never Melt Ice boosted Ice Beam, that particular scuffle was way too close for comfort if you ask me.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen yesterday
I don't recall exactly, but I think I had an ice type of some sort set aside just for her Garchomp. I think it was Glaceon. I don't remember her Garchomp giving me much trouble actually. It was her Togekiss that was a pain for me. It wrecked me :/

LilyAnn

All your base are belong to us
Years
I can't remember exactly how I did it. But I do know that I had my own Garchomp that I used against hers. xD Mine turned out to be the better of the two. :3 It was actually a pretty fun match. I know another time I ended up using a Glaceon to take her Garchomp down a few times.

Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen May 23, 2023
I dunno if you guys either have insanely overleveled pokemon, a good natured Empoleon or elsewise but mine got OHKO'd before I could even Ice Beam the Garchomp. :(

Anyway, I decided that I couldn't win so I resorted to the cheap strategy of waiting for the AI to use the wrong move. After fifteen attempts and countless amounts of rage, it worked. Garchomp used Dragon Rush! And I finally got an Ice Beam + freeze hax off. It felt really good even if it wasn't the most optimal way to kill a champ's trump card, haha. :p

Years
I also remember that last time I battled Cynthia in Platinum (which was in a challenge I completed back in November, a few days before ORAS released), I beat that Garchomp using my Gyarados, when it came out I had my Empoleon in front, but then Garchomp came and I switched in, got off the Intimidate, said screw you to her Earthquake, then she missed with Dragon Rush. That allowed me to get in a Dragon Dance, and slam her with Ice Fang, which had the NeverMeltIce backing it despite a seven level disadvantage. In fact, I actually managed to win that fight without too much trouble, and that was with me trying to let my entire team in on it (and no items and having to switch to take a hit, for that matter).

Years
  • Age 27
  • OH
  • Seen Feb 26, 2024
On my latest playthrough of Platinum, my level 52 Glaceon OHKO'd it with a critical hit Ice Beam. I was so happy about that, and I have no idea how Glaceon was fast enough to go first.

ShinxHero

Main Director of Pokémon VSLP
Years
I raised my own Garchomp, named Ryu, who took down almost half of his health with Dragon Rush, then I finished it off with my Gardevoir, named Aricia, who kept using Icy Wind.

Years
  • Seen Sep 6, 2016
Weavile used Ice Punch/Ice Shard, Mamoswine used Ice Shard, Garchomp used Outrage/Dragon Claw, Floatzel used Ice Punch or Gyarados with Dragon Dance+Ice Fang+Waterfall+Earthquake to sweep her entire team.

Somewhere_

i don't know where
Years
I forget how I beat it because it was a really long time ago. However, Im guessing that I beat it with my Gastrodon, but I dont remember if it even had ice beam...

Years
The last time I used Empoleon who retalitated with Avalanche which got most of its HP down but then it Sitrused Berry'd and knocked out Empoleon with Earthquake.

So I sent out Arcanine which managed to hold onto about 3HP after being hit by Earthquake and Arcanine used Dragon Pulse which brought it down. I had a Dragonite on my team but didn't dare use him as I knew one Dragon Rush would have destroyed him.

I was lucky. That thing is a MONSTER.

Back