• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen X/Y Third Version Speculation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen today
I'm not sure that I'm in the right section for this thread. I'm sorry if I'm not. I'm new so I'm really sorry if it's not the right section. I'll delete it if I'm wrong.

Do you think that there will be Pokemon Z after ORAS ?

I think it will be. Cuz as far as I'm concerned, I think Pokemon X and Y are quite incomplete. There are mysteries unsolved and Zygarde must have a story or at least a role to play in the story.
Beside Hoopa and Volcanion may not be officially released in ORAS.

What do you think ?

Here in France people are confused ~_~
Is it the same across the sea :D ?
We already happen to have a thread about this kind of thing, so I'm just gonna put your post in there.

Merged.

Nothing to worry about though.

RandomDSdevel

The EXP-Grinding Trainer
Years
On that note, when do you think the director's cut, prequel, or sequel will be set relative to the other games in the Pokémon franchise? I mentioned earlier on in this thread somebody compiled a list of mysteries that we, as players, have yet to solve about Kalos, but what do you want to see improved in the next games set in Kalos over the content of X and Y? If GameFreak does a/some prequel(s)/sequel(s), then will X and Y receive a major update so that those games can be made into their own director's cuts? Will we even return to Kalos this generation, or will we have to wait until Gen. VII like Genwunners had to wait until Gen. II for sequels?

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 45
  • Seen Oct 9, 2017
First off, I really, REALLY wish people would look up the definition of "patch" vs "DLC" because the amount people confuse these two with each other is staggering. They're not the same thing at all. New content is DLC, fixing programming errors is a patch.

ANYWAY, It's going to definitely be a third version instead of two sequels for the simple fact of:

Xerneas
Yveltal
Zygarde

But also because how many people were jumped on when they saw clues of the Ruby Sapphire remake and belittled and name called and all that, and then VOILA, ORAS.

Also, Kyurem merges with Reshiram or Zekrom, so isn't it obvious that there had to be two games? Zygarde doesn't merge with either Xerneas or Yveltal, in fact it negates them, so there won't be any merging so there would be no need for two separate games. And it's not going to take 2 - 3 years for the next game to come out, they don't work on 1 game series and then move onto the next, they are both working on them concurrently, (IE, the mega latios and latias in the game data of X and Y, as well as the length of time from when B2W2 came out to when X and Y came out) but also, more importantly, all the data already exists. They are not building the game from the ground up, they simply need to alter, change, or improve what is already there. Look how much of the background graphics are reused in ORAS from X and Y, they going to do the same thing with the remake to save time and money and simply add stuff.

My hope is that they make Pokemon Z on the Wii U FINALLY. I mean, with internet, why does the game NEED to be on a handheld anymore? and seriously, how many of us are using the internet connectivity while we're out vs being at home?

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen today
My hope is that they make Pokemon Z on the Wii U FINALLY. I mean, with internet, why does the game NEED to be on a handheld anymore? and seriously, how many of us are using the internet connectivity while we're out vs being at home?
I suppose that the main series games continuing to be on handhelds is partly due to tradition; the main series always been on handhelds since day one. I guess that Game Freak and Nintendo don't want to break that tradition yet.

It's fine by me if Z and other future main series games are on the handhelds. Though I'm probably biased because I have a 3DS and not a WiiU. Though I have to say that another console Pokemon game in the vein of Colosseum or Battle Revolution would be nice, it's been a while since we've had one of those.

I kinda wish we had a little more to go off of in terms of the next Kalos game....

RandomDSdevel

The EXP-Grinding Trainer
Years
First off, I really, REALLY wish people would look up the definition of "patch" vs "DLC" because the amount people confuse these two with each other is staggering. They're not the same thing at all. New content is DLC, fixing programming errors is a patch.

Um, well…that's because DLC is a patch, just a major, albeit normally optional, one: both DLC and what you call 'patches' add new content to an already-existing game; it's just that the latter, in your view, must be restricted to delivering minor bug fixes. (I suppose what I've been wondering, then, is whether the director's cut might be delivered as a '2.0' patch to X and Y in the form of required DLC, assuming that said DLC would be 'required' in the sense that GameFreak might prevent players of versions of X and Y older than 2.0 from playing online.)

ANYWAY, It's going to definitely be a third version instead of two sequels for the simple fact of:

Xerneas
Yveltal
Zygarde

But also because how many people were jumped on when they saw clues of the Ruby Sapphire remake and belittled and name called and all that, and then VOILA, ORAS.

Also, Kyurem merges with Reshiram or Zekrom, so isn't it obvious that there had to be two games? Zygarde doesn't merge with either Xerneas or Yveltal, in fact it negates them, so there won't be any merging so there would be no need for two separate games. …

For the record, I was in favor of GameFreak remaking Ruby and Sapphire for several reasons, not the least of which is due to the fact that my elder brother sold the copy of Sapphire that he used to let me borrow until I got FireRed (he had bought both Ruby and Sapphire) to my younger sister. As for your opinion that our next visit to the Kalos region as Trainers will definitely be mediated by one, and only one, game, that may not necessarily be true. I've heard (forgive me for forgetting my sources) some fans speculate that Zygarde might get not one, but two new forms (maybe Mega Evolutions?) in the next Kalos game or games; one of these forms would exist to counter Xerneas, while the other one would be necessary to counter Yveltal. What's more, evidence for the future accessibility of these new forms or Mega Evolutions may already exist — in, that is, the form of 'Land's Wrath,' Zygarde's signature move. It has been surmised that this move may be replaced by either the move 'Thousand Arrows' or the move 'Thousand Waves' when Zygarde either switches forms or Mega Evolves, depending either on which main Generation VI legendary Zygarde is facing or on which Mega Stone is used on him. Either way, though, there you have it: I've now got a reason to postulate that GameFreak might release either a sequel to or an update for each currently-existing main-series Generation VI game. Personally, I prefer the idea that GameFreak might update X and Y with some required DLC because I want it to fix all of those games' plot holes with the directors' cuts.

…And it's not going to take 2 - 3 years for the next game to come out, they don't work on 1 game series and then move onto the next, they are both working on them concurrently, (IE, the mega latios and latias in the game data of X and Y, as well as the length of time from when B2W2 came out to when X and Y came out) but also, more importantly, all the data already exists. They are not building the game from the ground up, they simply need to alter, change, or improve what is already there. Look how much of the background graphics are reused in ORAS from X and Y, they going to do the same thing with the remake to save time and money and simply add stuff.

When I said that GameFreak probably started working on whatever they're going to release to wrap up the Kalos region's story a while back, I intended to imply neither that the company couldn't work on more than one game or set of games at a time nor that my guess about its development timelines might be correct. I suppose, however, that I may have assumed that GameFreak might have more work to do on polishing pre-existing resources for use in the next Kalos games than you think they will.

I suppose that the main series games continuing to be on handhelds is partly due to tradition; the main series always been on handhelds since day one. I guess that Game Freak and Nintendo don't want to break that tradition yet.

It's fine by me if Z and other future main series games are on the handhelds. Though I'm probably biased because I have a 3DS and not a WiiU. …

Have you ever considered the fact that the more personal nature of portable consoles might be one reason why GameFreak has never released a main-series Pokémon game for one of Nintendo's home consoles? I mean, think about it: as things currently stand, only one save file is available to players per cartridge, and this design choice was probably made not only because, at least in the early days of portable consoles, one save file was likely all that games set in rich worlds could afford to offer users. This condition may even still exist intact on through to the present day since the amount of data needed to represent the regions, monsters, moves, items, etc., used in Pokémon games keeps growing as developers take advantage of newer portable consoles' ever-greater capabilities. As much as I'd like to see Pokémon games have multiple files like the games from Nintendo's other core franchises usually do, trading would be much more complicated and less spontaneous and effortless if users had to juggle multiple player profiles per system in the process and were limited to only swapping 'mon online instead of being able to do so any time their systems are in range of each other.

…Though I have to say that another console Pokemon game in the vein of Colosseum or Battle Revolution would be nice, it's been a while since we've had one of those. …

I have to agree with you here that, although Pokémon Colosseum had a relatively short storyline for a Pokémon game, lengthy in-game battle animations, and an existence that was mostly for the benefit of Generation III's handheld games' PokéDexes; it was a beautiful example of what Pokémon could be like on home consoles if the franchise's managers at the Pokémon Company International ever gave serious attention to making a Pokémon game for one of Nintendo's home consoles. Maybe GameFreak could work with Genius Sonority on a home console Pokémon game that could be kind of like a combination of Pokémon Colosseum, Pokémon XD: Gale of Darkness, and Pokémon Battle Revolution and Pokémon Box: Ruby and Sapphire? I would hope that such a title would give players of some future generation of portable Pokémon games both a large region like the Orre one to explore an enlarged 'Battle Frontier'-like region along the lines of Pokémon Battle Revolution's 'Pokétopia.' The ability to play such a game using either just the home console's controller or their portable systems would be much appreciated, especially if hooking your portable up to your home console unlocked additional content on both ends while also allowing Trainers to either play their portable game on their TVs in anticipation of the fact that some portable consoles and mobile devices can already drive TVs all by themselves or bringing their big-screen adventure along with them as they travel. I also imagine that a console Pokémon title could act as a portal to the Pokémon Bank.

…I kinda wish we had a little more to go off of in terms of the next Kalos game....

Me, too, my friend; me, too.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 2, 2016
I think they should've just made a Pokemon Z with new additions and a new legendary pokemon thats Z shape. i dont know X and Y sounds like the unown should've debuted in this game.

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
Pokémon Z being same as X and Y in terms of plot with new additions and legendary--a third installment, if you will--wouldn't wind up to be so bad, I believe. However, I'm sure a majority of fans have found XY's story to be sort of slow and stale, unfortunately, including myself, and having to go through that again would not be much of an enjoyable experience.

If they're making Z turn into sequels of these games like BW2, it'd likely be a better route to approach, I feel. Though, as I've said in one of my previous posts, one things that many of us seemed to have disliked regarding Black 2 and White 2 were their super-close resemblance to original titles, which didn't make these two quite feel like sequels (rather, a rehash). If they are able to avoid the mistake this time around, I wouldn't say things would actually be so bad, haha.

Prequels would be interesting as well! If they're looking forward to trying something new, considering to take this path would sort of be a wise choice!

Years
maybe there will be two other games like the 5th generation ; X² and Y². with a bigger map of course. Will we be able to visit the rest of Kalos ? Because the map is quite incomplete. I think they've done ORAS so they can prepare those games.

RandomDSdevel

The EXP-Grinding Trainer
Years
Pokémon Z being same as X and Y in terms of plot with new additions and legendary--a third installment, if you will--wouldn't wind up to be so bad, I believe. However, I'm sure a majority of fans have found XY's story to be sort of slow and stale, unfortunately, including myself, and having to go through that again would not be much of an enjoyable experience.

If they're making Z turn into sequels of these games like BW2, it'd likely be a better route to approach, I feel. Though, as I've said in one of my previous posts, one things that many of us seemed to have disliked regarding Black 2 and White 2 were their super-close resemblance to original titles, which didn't make these two quite feel like sequels (rather, a rehash). If they are able to avoid the mistake this time around, I wouldn't say things would actually be so bad, haha.

Prequels would be interesting as well! If they're looking forward to trying something new, considering to take this path would sort of be a wise choice!

What I've been asking all along is this: what if GameFreak were to release both 'director's cut' versions of X and Y in the form of updates to these games that majorly improved their plot while also bringing their mechanics up to date with those of OmegaRuby, AlphaSapphire, and whatever the next Kalos game or games are going to be and prequels or sequels? It may seem like I have false hope for such a long-shot as this, but GameFreak did say that they wanted to surprise us this generation; they just haven't done it yet. Something like what I'm proposing would definitely be a cool surprise to most fans of the Pokémon franchise!

maybe there will be two other games like the 5th generation ; X² and Y². with a bigger map of course. Will we be able to visit the rest of Kalos ? Because the map is quite incomplete. I think they've done ORAS so they can prepare those games.

Do you think that OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire may be the reason why X and Y feel as if they GameFreak rushed to hurry these latter games through production so that the company could produce the former games?

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen today
What I've been asking all along is this: what if GameFreak were to release both 'director's cut' versions of X and Y in the form of updates to these games that majorly improved their plot while also bringing their mechanics up to date with those of OmegaRuby, AlphaSapphire, and whatever the next Kalos game or games are going to be and prequels or sequels? It may seem like I have false hope for such a long-shot as this, but GameFreak did say that they wanted to surprise us this generation; they just haven't done it yet. Something like what I'm proposing would definitely be a cool surprise to most fans of the Pokémon franchise!
That would probably be too much work for them, and wouldn't be very profitable, imo. I don't think it's even possible to alter existing X and Y cartridges that much.

Do you think that OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire may be the reason why X and Y feel as if they GameFreak rushed to hurry these latter games through production so that the company could produce the former games?
I've always though that they purposely make the first pair of games of a generation a bit unpolished so they can then make more complete versions later. Lots of people are gonna want to buy the newest game, but making them lacking in some aspects entices people to buy the more polished version when that comes out, which means more money in Game Freak's pockets.

Years
  • Age 47
  • Seen Nov 24, 2014
I think they should've just made a Pokemon Z with new additions and a new legendary pokemon thats Z shape. i dont know X and Y sounds like the unown should've debuted in this game.

Good point, sometimes I wish I was part of making the games so that I could throw my 2 cents in.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Nov 29, 2015

Xerneas Shaped like an X.

Yveltal Shaped like a Y.

Zygarde Shaped like a Z.

......pretty obvious.

RandomDSdevel

The EXP-Grinding Trainer
Years

That would probably be too much work for them, and wouldn't be very profitable, imo. I don't think it's even possible to alter existing X and Y cartridges that much.

Yeah, that was probably wishful thinking on my part. It would be cool if GameFreak made the updates which they usually reserve for their director's cuts to the original main-series games of a generation, but you're probably right in saying that I shouldn't hold my breath for something like that even if GameFreak made it profitable by making such an update into optional, paid DLC.

I've always though that they purposely make the first pair of games of a generation a bit unpolished so they can then make more complete versions later. Lots of people are gonna want to buy the newest game, but making them lacking in some aspects entices people to buy the more polished version when that comes out, which means more money in Game Freak's pockets.

I don't that GameFreak's that cynical, Mr. Glass Half-Empty. Profits are nice, but they only come when people enjoy your work.

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
I don't believe it'd do much harm for them to release director's cut version of X and Y later down the road, right alongside their sequels, prequels, or anything else they might have in-store for us. X and Y has more or less everything that Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire has got, except for a few mega-evolutions; incorporating those would not take much time, I imagine, since there are only a few of them.

As for profit, it'd likely gain a bit of boost. If they're putting up sequels or prequels, we'd likely be focusing on them a little more, but those who haven't played XY yet would likely jump to the director's cut edition, as everything that are included there are up-to-date, and they wouldn't have to go through much hassle of constantly installing patches.

I personally wouldn't buy them, however, as I already have the game, but I don't believe it would hurt to test the water and see how things go.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 2, 2016
I dont think Game freak is to kind to having to go back. They tend to move forward with avancements. I would like prequels....but planned ahead of time like a legendary pokemon and a pre-evolved legendary in the prequel...it also means less discovered features. Its a hard move for prequels.

Darth Arceus

Ace Trainer
Years
I dont think Game freak is to kind to having to go back. They tend to move forward with avancements. I would like prequels....but planned ahead of time like a legendary pokemon and a pre-evolved legendary in the prequel...it also means less discovered features. Its a hard move for prequels.

I wouldn't mind having a Unova prequel detailing the origin of the Tao trio and the conflict between the two brothers. It would be a chance to see first-hand what the world of Pokémon was like back in the old days.

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen today
I wouldn't mind having a Unova prequel detailing the origin of the Tao trio and the conflict between the two brothers. It would be a chance to see first-hand what the world of Pokémon was like back in the old days.
It would be cool, but IDK if Game Freak would actually go that far back in the timeline though.

happycow

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Mar 5, 2016
Ok, I would like something similar to Black 2/White 2, a proper sequel!

Here is my idea:

So it begins a matter of months after the end of the events of XY, after Serena or Calem saved Kalos from Team Flare. In this story the Legendary Pokémon was released out into the wild where it either began giving life out to everything nearby in the case of Xerneus or death to everything nearby in both cases upsetting the entire eco system. This causes Pokémon overpopulation within the Kalos region (even allowing more Pokémon to survive there - increased Pokédex to ~500?) along with a larger amount of greenery and trees growing faster and higher. Yveltal will cause the opposite, dead trees, although you could say that there is a few more predatory Pokémon in the region.

Anyway, throughout the game the Sycamore will explain the situation from the previous game and how it's led people away from the region, you (a new character within Kalos) will travel around the region to find the centre of the force that is devastating the region. Team Flare, who have a new leader now are trying to find the legend for themselves for whatever reason, probably to try and create a new way to make the world perfect.

So anyway, the game turns into a hunt for the legendary box Pokémon. To try and stop what it's bringing upon the region, but when you reach the location there is an explosion at Terminus cave. Where Zygarde has unleashed itself upon Kalos to battle the box legend, opting to fight with you (not joining your team). This gives you the option of catching Xerneus or Yveltal, moving further through the game Zygarde will then seek you out once more or you locate it in Terminus cave to battle once more, this time you can catch Zygarde.

That would be my ideal game anyway, there are a few problems with that idea.

1. GF would need to model two overworlds for either game - total 3 overworlds
  2. Story-wise my idea is a bit lacking
  3. It can't be too much like RSE

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back