• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What do you nickname your Pokemon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boda69

Banned
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Sep 4, 2016
usually call my starter either Kuro (if male) or Tewi (if female).

Zervais

Island Kahuna
Years
I always have a Vaporeon named Ahuizotl.

Spoiler:

I also had a shiny Espeon I named Lime.

Last edited:

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
Years
I normally just name my Pokes whatever pops into my head, which can sometimes totally random. In my current Blue playthrough, I named my starter Bulbasaur Akihabara, both because I'm an anime nerdy and also because Akihabara means "field of autumn leaves". Then on the other hand, I have a Nidoran male that I named Carlos, because it just popped into my head as something to call it :3 So yea, my nicknames are sorta all over the place.

Years
  • Age 20
  • Seen Sep 4, 2016
I named my shiny greninja shadowdafrog
my regular ones were shinobi and shadow
Sylveon: Pixie
Hawlucha: I'M FLYING:
Charizard: Waffles
Blaziken: McNuggets
Swampert: Finn
Sceptile: Febreeze
etc

Charlie Brown

[font=lato]coolcoolcool[/font]
Years
I used to try and be punny with my nicknames, naming them something related to what they're based on or something to do with their name. Ones that I remember are Tungsten the Lickitung (went through a bit of a scientific phase for my nicknames at one point) and Custard the Wobbuffet (Wobbuffet -> wobble -> jelly -> custard).

Now though I tend to use actual names (sometimes spelt differently) that relate to the Pokémon in some way. For example, Atticus the Swellow, named after Atticus Finch from 'To Kill a Mockingbird', a brave character, which is a trait I associate with the Tailow line. Or Raf the Vileplume, because Vileplume is based on the rafflesia plant.

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jun 26, 2023
Some other fraction of them are memes

*chanting* Slaking named Harambe, Slaking named Harambe, Slaking named Harambe

Anywayyysss...
I nickname any Pokemon I use. I've said it before, but I've never had a Pokemon on my team that I haven't nicknamed. It just feels weird.

That being said, I typically go with names that come from nature, names that are colors, or names that are pretty and whimsical but that I would probably never hear on a human (Whisper, Incyndia, Revery, etc)

Some examples:

Grass Types - Meadow, Juniper, Ivy, Emerald, Rosetta

Water Types - Aquarius, Crest, Azure, River, Cydon (short for Poseidon)

Ghost/Psychic Types - Violet, Magica, Revery, Whisper, Muse

Fire Types - Incyndia, Ginger, Singe, Charise (Similar to Charcoal, but more feminine)

Elysieum

Requiescat en pace.
Years
I take references from all over for my Pokémon nicknames. To name a random few -

Klefki - Anrokku
Pachirisu - Vitesse
Vivillon - Monarch
Serperior - Salazar
Umbreon - Nox
Magnezone - Terabyte
Charizard Y - Paarthurnax
Charizard X - Ancalog
Raichu - Tesla
Scizor - Askance
Lopunny - Georges
Vileplume - Telperion

Inky

:pleading_face:
Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen yesterday
I don't know if this is unusual, but I really dislike naming my Pokemon, and don't think I've actually ever given one a nickname.

clefairydesuyo

fairy type pokétrainer
Years
  • Age 33
  • UK
  • Seen May 13, 2018
For my core team in XY~

:pokeball: Clefable - Fae (term for 'fairy')
:pokeball: Xerneas - Nara (after the town in Japan famous for free-roaming deer, which I've been fortunate enough to visit a few times)
:pokeball: Sylveon - Kei (just liked how it sounded!)
:pokeball: Azumarill - Maru (means 'round' in Japanese)
:pokeball: Altaria - Aurora (after the Northern Lights)
:pokeball: Wigglytuff - Macaron (my favourite sweet treat!)

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
Years
  • Age 35
  • NCR
  • Seen Nov 11, 2019
I've used mostly references from other video games such as League, DotA, Final Fantasy. and other relatable titles to name a lot of my creatures. Anime and Manga also count.

As I've mentioned before, I renamed my Starter Blaziken in Alpha Sapphire into "Murdercock" because he bodies a lot of fools. Murdercock being a reference to one of my favorite youtube channels. I also remember naming one of my Darmanitans as "Show Foo" as a reference to Shofu, probably my favorite Pokemon youtube content creator since the dawn of time.

I'll be doing more of the same in Sun & Moon as well.

EthanoicAcid

professional chicken nugget inspector
Years
I love nicknaming Pokemon. I feel wrong if I catch a Pokemon and don't name it. I usually name mine something I think would be funny or something that sounds fitting. Sometimes I make them puns. Sometimes they're really obscure jokes.
Examples:
A-Bomb (Aipom)
Hot Tamale (Typhlosion) (Personal favorite)
Dat Boi (Politoed)
Darwin (Eevee)
Squishy (Blastoise)
Popcorn (Blaziken)
Cottonelle (Altaria)
Voltaire (Ampharos)
Ryouta (Swellow)
AmpUp (Jolteon)
Avogadro (Diglett)
Geico (Sceptile)
CashMoney (Meowth)
I know I have more that are better than these, but these are just the ones I can name off the top of my head.

Years
as for my pokemon team,

i tend to try to give them nicknames after parts of their own names & evolutions
or not, sometimes :) because i think they sound really cute :)

as for my pokemon x team currently, that i'm on,

fennekin (my starter) female - fenni

pikachu (male) - spark

pikachu (female) - rai (because i'm testing out a theory about raichu's tail & if the tip of it turns into a heart as well. besides i have 2 other pikachu in the pc box)

scatterbug (female) - vivi (because i'm evolving her twice into Vivillon)

fletchling (female) - fle (because i'm evolving her just once)

flabebe (female - yellow flower) - floe (because i like Floette too :) & i have another yellow one & a orange one in the pc)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back