• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Competitive Battling Chat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Oct 24, 2022
It's hard to get other people into new metagames here. :(

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Oct 24, 2022
Double posting for coolness and to kick life back into this dead thread. Magic Guard Alakazam and Prankster Sableye were just released. Thoughts on their impact?

.Aero

Tell Me I'm A Screwed Up Mess
Years
They'll be gimmicks to say the least. At least now Alakazam can use the focus sash better. I mean, I'm sure they'll do fine in lower tier gameplay, but I can't see them being OU mons. Especially Sableye with it's bad stats (just because it has prankster does make it awesome, I do like his design though, and will always love him as a Pokemon).

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Oct 24, 2022
Sableye manhandles stall that doesn't have Heatran, really. I don't think either are gimmicks at all. Alakazam outspeeds the vast majority of the tier and has a huge base SpA with solid coverage with Psychic/shock and Shadow Ball/Focus Blast. I don't think they'll be gimmicks at all, and both will almost assuredly be OU (low OU, perhaps, but OU nonetheless). In DW OU Alakazam is used more than Latios and Sableye is mid-tier OU.

Years
I don't see Alakazam being that good, Magic Guard is cute and all, but it seems like a Gengar/Reuniclus hybrid that isn't as effective as either one. Sableye will definitely be interesting, though, I think I'll try and use it.

Years
  • Seen May 9, 2012
I'd also like to say that Tail glow Volbeat with prankster is released.

Years
  • Seen Mar 17, 2012
I'm just posting to say that Sableye is outclassed by Taunt + WoW Mew. Prankster sounds cool and everything, but it doesn't make up for Sableye's awful defenses.

Years
  • Seen May 9, 2012
I'm kind of dissapointed that everyone's shoving Sableye away and saying it "sucks" and is "outclassed".

Sableye is a lot worse on paper than it actually is in competitive.

Priority will-o-wisp is great, it allows you to cripple threats that you wouldnt be able to with Mew (SEE: +2 Excadrill, +2 Landorus, +2 Terrakion). Recover with priority is great, it allows you to outstall many threats. Foul Play is another neat move which lets you actually hurt something.

Myself, I'd rather use Mew than Sableye, but that doesn't mean that Sableye isn't viable in OU; it'll probably end up in UU but its not something to just brush aside.

Oh, and Erufuun with sub sucks, you're like instantly forced out by everything; use U-turn instead.

Zam is pretty cool, but I'd rather use OTR Reuniclus, though Zam shouldn't be underestimated.

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Oct 24, 2022
I don't see Alakazam being that good, Magic Guard is cute and all, but it seems like a Gengar/Reuniclus hybrid that isn't as effective as either one. Sableye will definitely be interesting, though, I think I'll try and use it.

I think it'll be just fine. Considering it's faster and stronger than Gengar with Magic Guard... seems like it's only got the positive parts of each, lol.

I'd also like to say that Tail glow Volbeat with prankster is released.

Oh yeah, forgot. That'll be interesting for hardcore BP teams but beyond that I don't think it'll be used very much at all (at least, with any effectiveness).

I'm just posting to say that Sableye is outclassed by Taunt + WoW Mew. Prankster sounds cool and everything, but it doesn't make up for Sableye's awful defenses.

It's not. Cycle covered it though.

Well, in my honest opinion, I'm going to go with the majority that think that Sableye won't really survive in OU. Sure, it's interesting, but mons like deoxys-s will be in everyway(and Erufuun, to say the least) superior to Sableye. It's kind of a risk to even have it in the first place. At least Erufuun has a chance with Sub Cotton guard, but what really can Sableye do? Just out of curiosity, really. .__.;

And Alakazam has never really struck me as anything special. I will say however, that if used properly, it can turn into a real threat, especially since Magic Guard(afaik) prevents things like Toxic and WoW and stuff like that, right?

Though, to be really fair, I'd like to see Clefable be a better Alakazam. It already has Magic Guard. At least make it better in some way, shape or form. ><; It already has the defenses, now I'm just concerned about the offenses. If only it wasn't slow. :(
Erufuun is radically different from Sableye and imo considerably worse. Deoxys-S is not superior at all lol, it's entirely different. Why is it a risk to have it? It can Taunt/W-o-W/Recover with priority. I've seen sets where you spam Swagger and W-o-W and use Foul Play to attack them with their own Attack stat (boosted by Swagger but cut by W-o-W). You can be imaginative. TBH I'd like to use the last moveslot for Knock Off, knocking off the items of whatever tries to switch in and beat it.

Clefable =/= Alakazam in any way, lool. :(

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
imma be a fool and say I didn't realise Alakazam wasn't released and used it before lool.

But! With LO as well as really high spA and good speed & nature + that works in spA's favour (or just leaving it at LO & nature working in the favour of speed) it works well imo w/ recover etc :x

Years
  • Seen May 9, 2012
Hey guys, I was laddering on smogon LC ladder and I finally hit 1.
(15:33:28) *** Your rank in Standard LC is 1/1493 [1258 points / 59 battles]!

Years
Hey guys, I was laddering on smogon LC ladder and I finally hit 1.
(15:33:28) *** Your rank in Standard LC is 1/1493 [1258 points / 59 battles]!

Nice job, son. I signed up for LC Tutoring at Smogon, so hopefully I'll be able to get good at LC and reach your level.

Years
  • Seen May 9, 2012
Nice job, son. I signed up for LC Tutoring at Smogon, so hopefully I'll be able to get good at LC and reach your level.

Haha, sounds good.

The LC ladder isn't that hard to climb, it takes about 3 battles to reach the first page (lol), but then the battles get harder and you'll probably hover around the same spot for a few days. I started playing LC a few weeks back with this team (which is also my first) and stayed around #8-#10 for a week or so lol.

Years
To me, it's just like Alakazam except better defenses, and worse spa atk and speed.

But that's just me.

That's like saying Jirachi is like Blissey, since they share an ability and are bulky in the areas of Special Defense and HP, although Jirachi is much more versatile and can bring a much better offensive presence to the table.

Dark Azelf

☽𖤐☾𓃶𐕣
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen today
MH Sableye is annoying as hell to play when you're using stall. You essentially need Heatran or Politoed to beat it lol. :/ I guess Poison heal Gliscor would work too as it cant be burned but you can only EQ it ?

LO Sub Zam and Sash MG zam are both awesome and arent scarftar bait because its faster lol :]

Years
Zam is great, and the LO+3 Attacks is probably my favorite set, since Calm Mind is essentially an inferior Reuniclus.

Anyhow:

FML

So yeah, going off of the above replay, what was the worst hax you've ever had. By worst, it can be whatever just made you rage, whether it be continuous and statistically ridiculous luck, or luck causing you to lose an important match or good game.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen May 9, 2012
Zam is great, and the LO+3 Attacks is probably my favorite set, since Calm Mind is essentially an inferior Reuniclus.

Anyhow:

FML

So yeah, going off of the above replay, what was the worst hax you've ever had. By worst, it can be whatever just made you rage, whether it be continuous and statistically ridiculous luck, or luck causing you to lose an important match or good game.

I don't have the replay, but I was playing against a Chandelure, I sent in my Tyranitar, overheat crits, and I think whatever it won't penetrate through me even with a crit, and the next turn overheat critted again.

Tyranitar is not a Chandelure counter.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Not sure if this is the right place to put this, but the tier lists have been updated: http://www.smogon.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3886607&postcount=3

Some Pokemon rose a tier or two, while others dropped down. For instance, Gastrodon was in RU, but it jumped up to OU (I was surprised by this, and after a bit of research, it was Storm Drain that made Gastrodon viable enough for OU). Tier drops include: Darmanitan, Machamp, Whimsicott, Porygon2, Hippowdon, Tornadus and Chandelure from OU to UU.

I apologize if I got this information mixed up; I just thought it would be worth sharing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back