• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Gen V RMT Team Something

solarowl

I'll always be an Outsider.
Years
Couldn't think of team name. XD
So anyway, this is my Sandstorm team for Gen V. I thought of this team when I just started competitive battling on PO, so don't expect anything good. If you've battled me on PO, I probably used this team. I tried to make this a balanced team. I'm still kind of new, so correct me if I'm wrong. Heress the team:

248.gif

Tyranitar @ Choice Band
252 Atk/180 HP/76 Spd
Adamant
-Stone Edge
-Crunch
-Aqua Tail
-Fire Punch

Ok. A few things to say about this. First of all, this Choice Band set was straight from Serebii, as I couldn't really make my own good sets (and still can't). I have to say, this set has worked pretty well, and the HP investment, though not fully 252, has really helped. I've been able to take down many Pokemon in one hit with this set, for example, Jellicent. With the Special Defense boost, Tyranitar has pretty good defenses, and the only Special Attack that could kill it so far (without any stat boosts) was Focus Blast. Anyway, Stone Edge is Ttar's main STAB move here, along with Crunch. Fire Punch and Earthquake for coverage, but I'm probably going to switch EQ for Pursuit as that works better, and I have two other Pokemon who can do a powerful EQ.

445.gif

Garchomp @Yache Berry
252 Atk/252 Spd/4 HP
Jolly
-Outrage
-Earthquake
-Fire Blast
-Swords Dance

Another set off of Serebii. Outage there simply for a strong STAB, as well as Earthquake. Fire Blast over Fire Fang for annoyances like Skarmory and Ferrothorn, etc. I usually get Swords Dance when I predict a switch which allows me to sweep. Yache is there for obvious reasons, as many threats like Thundurus and Heatran carry HP Ice, and Yache Renders it useless. I usually can finish them off if they waste a turn trying to hit me with Ice move.

598.gif

Ferrothorn @Leftovers
252 HP/ 176 SpD/ 80 Atk
Sassy
-Leech Seed
-Stealth Rock
-Power Whip
-Gyro Ball

This set is a bit different, but it works. This Ferro is purely defense, and those EVs in Attack really help it. Why? Some people underestimate it and go straight for a SD or Nasty Plot. I've been able to KO them while doing so. I've almost had Ferrothorn sweep a whole team once lol. Stealth Rock over Spikes Because Skarmory (later in my team) carries Spikes. Leech Seed for obvious reasons. And Power Whip and Gyro Ball are just plain for Attacking. Also, he's my answer to most Pokemon on Rain Teams.

227.gif

Skarmory @Leftovers
252 HP/252 Def/ 4 SpD
Impish
-Whirlwind
-Spikes
-Brave Bird
-Roost

A typical Skarmory set. It's obviously a very strong wall and a good PHazer as well. Whirlwind to Phaze, Spikes to abuse it, Brave Bird as my one STAB Attack, and Roost to recover HP. Simple as that.

530.gif

Excadrill @Life Orb
252 Atk/ 252 Spd/ 4 HP
Adamant
-Rock Slide
-X-Scissor
-Earthquake
-Swords Dance

Well what did you expect? This is a Sandstorm team. You're bound to find one of these. Another simple set. Air Balloon for Resistance to Ground for a little while. EVs are simple enough. Earthquake as obvious STAB move, Brick Break for Other Excadrill, as well as Ttar. Rock Slide for Flying Coverage, and SD for predicting a switch, then sweeping.

561.gif

Sigilyph @Flame Orb
252 HP/ 80 Def/ 120 SpD/ 56 Spd
Bold
-Cosmic Power
-Stored Power
-Roost
-Psycho Shift

Sigilyph, one very annoying Pokemon if you give it time to set up. Let the Flame Orb Burn you, then use Psycho Shift to give it to the opponent. Magic Guard reduces the burn damage to zero, meaning you're burned, but not burned. It also protects you from Status conditions. Use Cosmic Power to raise your Defense and Sp. Defense up by a lot, which also powers up Stored Power. Roost is obviously to heal up any damage. Sigilyph's main reason on my team is to counter Fighting types that get lured out by Ttar. Before Sigilyph, I had two other Pokemon, CM Reuniclus and Wish Latias. So, I want your opinion on which I should use.

Here are their sets:

579.gif

Reuniclus @Leftovers
252 HP/ 252 Def/ 4 SpA
Relaxed
-Calm Mind
-Psyshock/Psychic
-Focus Blast
-Recover

Reuniclus is another very annoying Pokemon. It can take lots of hits, while setting up CM, making it deadly. Psyshock for a strong STAB, countering Blissey since it hits the opponents Defense. Of course, Psyshock gets predictable nowadays, so I might switch back into Psychic. Focus Blast for Steel types that resist. Recover for healing, obviously. So, I used this guy first on my team. He does his job well, but I really needed Wish Support to heal other weakened pokes, so in comes my next Pokemon in Reuniclus's position: Latias

380.gif

Latias @Leftovers
252 HP/252 Spd/4 HP
Timid
-Dragon Pulse
-Reflect
-Wish
-Protect

My Wish support Latias. Pretty straightforward. Dragon Pulse as a STAB Attack. Reflect to raise Defense, Wish for Wish support, and Protect to stall.

Anyway, that was my RMT. So, yeah, feel free to comment. This is my first RMT, btw. Also, I want your opinion for my last slot, Latias, Reuniclus, or Sigilyph?
CHANGES IN BOLD.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Jan 31, 2015
OK. Before I start I would like to say that I'm not very good with V Gen Pokemon. But, hey one can try right?

Anyway, on with the suggestions:

248.gif

Tyranitar @ Choice Band
Nature: Adamant
Ability: Sand Stream
EV Spread: 180hp / 252atk / 76spe

Moves:
Stone Edge
Crunch
Earthquake / Pursuit / Fire Punch
Aqua Tail

Stone Edge is key to this set. After Choice Band boost Stone Edge can easily OHKO many Pokemon in the metagame even when hitting neutral damage. It can even 2HKO walls such as Skarmory and Forretress which makes it effective against stall teams.

Crunch serves as an accurate secondary STAB move and provides neutral coverage on Pokemon that resist Stone Edge (Swampert, Bronzong and Metagross). In this day and age Earthquake is pretty much staple as it provides good coverage (5 Pokemon types).

The final slot provides Tyranitar with much needed type coverage: Aqua Tail hits Hippowdon, Gliscor and even opposing Tyranitar. It also provides further neutral coverage and is overall a reliable attack. If you feel Earthquake is too dangerous to be locked into you can opt for Pursuit or even Fire Punch. Pursuit would be my personal choice as you can catch Pokemon on a switch and deal decent damage thanks to STAB. Fire Punch allows Tyranitar to OHKO Scizor and Forretress and potentially 2HKOing Skarmory and Bronzong.

445.gif

Garchomp @ Life Orb / Haban Berry
Nature: Jolly
Ability: Sand Veil
EV Spread: 4hp / 252atk / 252spe

Moves:
Swords Dance
Outrage / Dragon Claw
Earthquake
Stone Edge / Fire Fang

After a Swords Dance, and the power boost from Life Orb Garchomp is nearly unstoppable offensively. He is able to outspeed many of the other Pokemon in the metagame and is capable of OHKOing even the most physically defensive Pokemon. This, added to STAB Earthquake completely wreck any grounded steel types.

Outrage is preferred simply because the main goal is to deal damage and sweep as quickly as possible. What better way to do that than with a move as powerful as Outrage?

If you feel Outrage is too dangerous Dragon Claw is a viable replacement and still provides STAB. With a base power of 80 it can still hit foes that don't resist pretty hard. Stone Edge is preferred over Fire Fang as it can deal with Skarmory. Fire Fang is still an option however, if you feel Stone Edge is too inaccurate (don't use any special fire type attack as you would be wasting those valuable attack EVs.

598.gif

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Nature: Sassy
Ability: Iron Barbs
EV Spread: 252hp / 4atk / 252spdef

Moves:
Spikes
Power Whip / Gyro Ball
Gyro Ball / Leech Seed
Stealth Rock / Protect / Thunder Wave

Meh... What to say... Ferrothorn can switch in to many sweepers and users of choice items and set up entry hazards while the opponent does little damage or switches. It can keep repeating this process, which as a result can aid stall teams. If you opt for Power Whip in slot two then I recommend Gyro Ball for slot three as it provides STAB. If you opt for Gyro Ball in slot two then I recommend Leech Seed in slot three.

Slot four is really personal preference. Experiment with each option and decide which one you like best... Thats all I got for this Pokemon. xD.

227.gif

Skarmory is fine. (edit: i'd recommend shed shell on skarmory, otherwise it's magnezone bait)

I may do the rest later. Also if you could update your post so I know who you are currently using?

I hope this helps.

EDIT: Oh, yeah. If you get the time, could you rate my team? xD

Last edited:

solarowl

Years
K, added a few things.
First, I'm keeping Yache on Chomp as it has helped him survive many Pokes like mentioned above. (Thundurus, etc.)
Second, the reason I'm using Fire Blast is to hit things like Skarmory (it hates Special Attacks) and Forretress.

I'll change Ferrothorn's EVs.
I'm trying a sort of mix of Special Defense on Ferrothorn.

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Oct 24, 2022
A note on Excadrill; the only reason it runs Balloon & Jolly is for other Excadrill. Honestly, I'd try out an Adamant LO set - it hits really damn hard and does a lot more damage to everything. You have a reliable check for Excadrill in Skarmory so it's not like you need to rely on your own Excadrill lategame to revenge.

Also keep some type of Fire move on Garchomp. Your team is pretty hardcore stuffed by Skarmory in general (with only Tyranitar and Garchomp to an extent being able to do some form of damage against it) and it'd be good to at least have something that roasts it. ;x

solarowl

Years
Alright, I'll try LO set.

Yeah, I don't have many special Attackers on this team (only 1) XD
So, Skarm walls most of this pretty much. :x

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Oct 24, 2022
Alright, I'll try LO set.

Yeah, I don't have many special Attackers on this team (only 1) XD
So, Skarm walls most of this pretty much. :x

Well even then Skarmory can just consistently Whirlwind away all your Cosmic Powers. The best you can do with Sigilyph as long as it's not your last mon is Psycho Shift the burn over which is okay I guess but still. ;x

solarowl

Years
Well even then Skarmory can just consistently Whirlwind away all your Cosmic Powers. The best you can do with Sigilyph as long as it's not your last mon is Psycho Shift the burn over which is okay I guess but still. ;x

Yeah, Magnezone would be better for Skarm. :(

So yeah, Sigilyph being the only Special Attacker, Gliscor counters most of my team.

Also, what do you suggest for the last slot?
Latias, Reuniclus, or Sigilyph?

Back