• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Ruby hack: Pokemon: Super Rising Thunder!

Status
Not open for further replies.

gg8helper

Not a Glaceon.
Years
  • Seen Aug 30, 2013
I wish I could actually make a decent hack. I can only change sprites, placement of tiles, a small bit of dialog, and the starters (but not the rival's starter). And then when I try to make a warp tile, it glitches often when playing.

I've had an idea for a storyline for a while, but the only problem is that I can't change much and hacks, and don't understand a bit of scripting. What programs do you use? :3

Years
I wish I could actually make a decent hack. I can only change sprites, placement of tiles, a small bit of dialog, and the starters (but not the rival's starter). And then when I try to make a warp tile, it glitches often when playing.

I've had an idea for a storyline for a while, but the only problem is that I can't change much and hacks, and don't understand a bit of scripting. What programs do you use? :3
Get help from ROM hacking section. Otherwise she might have mentioned her hacking tools on the first page of this thread

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
Years

This is a thread about specific hack, you need to direct your hacking questions to threads in different sections.
And programs are in Toolbox...

Years
This game is INCREDIBLE! I love it! Wish I could play farther than Rowan, but... well, I really hope that the game goes on! And if you need suggestions... let me know!

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Feb 22, 2014
Just finished the Alpha.. Great so far! Can't wait to continue on in this game! =]

-Decided not to steal any of the food items from the sleeping pokemon-
Anyone know what happens if you do??

Perri Lightfoot

Let's give it a go!
Years
  • Age 38
  • Seen Apr 17, 2022
As most of the work I've done on Super Rising Thunder! lately has been on the engine rather than progressing the actual game itself, I'm forced to acknowledge that even this close to the end of the year, and even this close to my normal beta release schedule, that I have virtually nothing to show anyone. There's a new dungeon with no scripts in it yet, one story-based script, and the aforementioned engine work. That's it. That's all I've really accomplished this year. I hate that I've done so little, but in between work, other projects, devoting time to friends, and just life in general...it's forcing me to realize something, and that's that this hack will never be finished in a timely manner if I continue to work on it entirely on my own, doing every single thing by myself. I'm just not a speedy worker...

For this reason, do you guys think I should open a team thread? The main things that slow me down the most and are pretty much the biggest "barriers" to my work progress are mapping (dungeons and towns) and the accompanying puzzles. I'm not clever and it can be difficult to come up with a different puzzle gimmick every dungeon (especially ones that aren't made instantly easy with savestate scumming), so many heads may be better than one here, and mapping...well, my dislike of mapping is why this is a dungeon-based game in the first place, but even that hasn't lead to the desired result of faster progress. If I didn't have to worry about mapping or having to invent elaborate puzzles every time, I could work on progressing the game and playing to the parts of ROM hacking that I like the best - story, scripting, graphics and hex editing - and the things I need to do, like balancing the level curve and gameplay.

If you guys think I should, I'll make a team thread later with a lot more detail and information, but if you think I should stay a solo project, I'll try my best but can't make any speed promises. :( I just hate to disappoint everyone...

Grandmasterboom

xJownage
Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Mar 26, 2016
a couple of the caves look slightly too mystery dungeon-like for my taste on a game like this, but it looks like it could be a lot of fun, will definitely try this out soon.

in terms of teams, of course you should. look at a game like DR. it only had two people working on it. the result: a game with an incredible storyline and great gameplay hindered by glitches and hype hindered by slowness of progress. DR2 will be way better because IT IS A TEAM EFFORT. same goes for you. there are many dedicated people on this site that will help you in your quest of making a great pokemon game, although i unfortunately dont know very much about hacking so i cant help.

U.Flame

Maker of Short Games
Years
As long as you're in charge of the story and main factors of the game, setting up a team shouldn't hurt. I think it'd be very helpful for you. Personally, I'd love to be a mapper, but my laptop is broken at the moment. T_T

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back