The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Emulation & ROM Hacking > Research & Development

Notices

Research & Development Got a well-founded knack with ROM hacking? Love reverse-engineering the Pokémon games? Or perhaps you love your assembly language. This is the spot for polling and gathering your ideas, and then implementing them! Share your hypothesis, get ideas from others, and collaborate to create!
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed. The thread revival limit does not apply here.

Old June 1st, 2012, 12:10 PM
Kejaba
Apiring hacker.

Recently I took a look at how fantastically complex Spinda's pattern generation in R/S/E was, and it got me thinking. Could a similar system be utilized on all Pokemon in a given hack? Specifically, my desire is to allow randomly generated variations in a Pokemon's pose (i.e., one is sitting, one is standing, one is dancing, whatever floats your boat), and, though I have the ability to make all of the sprites in question, I have absolutely no idea how to go about bringing this concept into fruition. Therefore, I've come here.

What I know so far:
The locations of Spinda's four spots are generated using the personality value, in the manner of breaking the hexcode down into four segments, like 00 00 00 00. Each of these segments are assigned to a spot, and each digit of the segments decides the X and Y coordinates of the top-left point of each spot. (On a sidenote, this is interesting because it allows for 4,294,967,296 combinations, and that doesn't even include shinies.)
Relatedly and more generally than just with Spinda, the visual gender differences also work on a similar system, though I'm not quite as familiar with that one; I suspect, however, that the gender code is the key to my question.

So, my question is, in essence: is pose variation possible? And, if so, how could I go about making this change? It's worth noting that I'm only interested in 2, 4, maybe 8 variations; drawing up 4,294,967,296 sprites for every Pokemon would probably kill my spriter ;P

Last edited by Kejaba; June 1st, 2012 at 04:04 PM. Reason: Clarification of title.
Old June 2nd, 2012, 04:55 AM
Darthatron
巨大なトロール。

Nature: Modest
It's very easy to do this. Very very easy. However, the space required is the true limitation here. But otherwise, it's very simple. All you'd have to do is change the routine that loads the image to be some kind of switch statement. It's really not complex if you know what you're looking for.
Old June 3rd, 2012, 05:05 PM
Kejaba
Apiring hacker.

Yeah, I was concerned with the space issue until I decided to use only Kanto Pokemon with an Emerald base, so I have more than ample extra space once I remove all of the Gen 2 and 3 Pokemon. Now, I'm off to dig around and see what I can find. Thank you very much
Old June 3rd, 2012, 05:15 PM
Darthatron
巨大なトロール。

Nature: Modest
Emerald, 'ey? That adds some difficulty, but not too much. If you don't mind keeping the same animations (but with the different sprites).
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links