The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > The PokéCommunity Archives > ARCHIVED: Battle Center
Sign Up Rules/FAQ Live Battle Blogs Mark Forums Read

Notices

ARCHIVED: Battle Center This forum is designed for all of your Pokémon battling needs! The main forum is meant for discussions, battle requests, battle logs, and other threads related to battling. Look to the sub-forums for events and team help.


 
 
Thread Tools
  #1    
Old January 24th, 2012, 04:54 PM
Natural Harmonia Gropius's Avatar
Natural Harmonia Gropius
Beginning Trainer
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Gender: Male
I think she's among the top underrated pokemon. Shell Smash allows her to outspeed most pokemon outside of weather (as long as they don't have Shell Smash boost, and they're not using Choice Scarf) and with Hydro Pump, she can OHKO probably most pokemon that don't resist it. The only problem is Hydro Pump's accuracy, and Surf probably isn't a viable replacement, because it just doesn't do enough to OHKO the bigger threats.
  #2    
Old January 24th, 2012, 05:15 PM
Forever's Avatar
Forever
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: http://goo.my/server
Age: 21
Gender: Female
Well you can't say never since... It is used, it is currently 67 on the usage chart which is pretty good for a non-OU Pokemon. Tbh though I think of it only really having a place in baton pass teams and nothing else really (since that's it's main purpose) so the fact that it isn't used more is probably attributed to the fact that shell smash isn't the most popular play style :x
__________________


hi, i am an ex-pc mod.
i used to mod black and white / fifth generation forums.

MOST IMPORTANTLY I LOVE FRIZY AND I SHALL FOREVER <3

i'm now battle server higher staff here, and i used to mod the main pokemon showdown server.
i'm also a moderator on smogon!
~ pumpka
  #3    
Old January 24th, 2012, 05:17 PM
Naya Rivera's Avatar
Naya Rivera
11/05/1982 - 13/07/2013
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: England it's gross bye
Age: 18
Gender: Male
Nature: Relaxed
Because Gorebyss may have a gift in Smash Pass, but there are Pokemon that can simply outspeed her and OHKO her. She's simply too weak to be in OU. Although, like Forever pointed out, she's 67 on the usage charts so people do like her. And a lot of people dislike Smash Pass because it's so broken. ): gorebyss is a girl ok
__________________

Team Rocket!
blasting off at the speed of light! surrender now or prepare to fight!
meowth that's right!
wobbuffet!!!

  #4    
Old January 27th, 2012, 07:51 PM
Natural Harmonia Gropius's Avatar
Natural Harmonia Gropius
Beginning Trainer
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Gender: Male
Most of the times I had her Shell Smash, she outsped most of the mons that were a threat to her and OHKO'd them to boot. She even OHKO'd a Magnezone believe it or not (or maybe it was a Magneton, I forgot). I know that some mons like Latios, Latias, Conkeldurr, Ferrothorn, and I'm sure some others can counter her, but IMO she actually doesn't have that many counters for a NU mon.
  #5    
Old January 27th, 2012, 08:04 PM
Vrai
can you feel my heart?
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Age: 19
Gender: Male
Nature: Adamant
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Vrai
most common scarfers outspeed and OHKO, priority sucks, easy to wall/kill, hazards are everywhere, voltturn (and rotom-w niftily outspeeds with a scarf), it's hard as hell to set up without dying, cloyster is a better smasher in general, etc, etc, etc
__________________
aka Zebraiken | pairs; Ω & ζ | bffl; λ | now; Ϟ | twin; ξ | brother; φ | sister; Ψ | neeks; Ϫ
  #6    
Old January 27th, 2012, 08:32 PM
Solace's Avatar
Solace
simon ferocious
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Texas
Gender: Male
Nature: Naughty
Send a message via Skype™ to Solace
One set doesn't generally make a Pokemon. You see Shell Smash / Baton Pass / Scald / HP Fire, typically, to handle the BP aspect as well as STAB and having a way to kill Ferrothorn after the switch in surprise with Shell Smash. This is the only set Gorebyss can fully utilize in the OU metagame; there's no argument that can withstand, normally. With this, things like Adamant Max Attack Breloom kill it with STAB Priority, since Gorebyss has to carry Focus Sash, meaning it loses White Herb which could restore its already frail defenses.

It's an all right Pokemon, but one set doesn't make it.
__________________
moderator of c&m / a&m :: tpc social moderator :: battle server moderator
paired with the lovely Yuri Lowell :: Pokemon X Friendcode
  #7    
Old January 28th, 2012, 08:43 AM
Natural Harmonia Gropius's Avatar
Natural Harmonia Gropius
Beginning Trainer
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Gender: Male
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vrai View Post
most common scarfers outspeed and OHKO, priority sucks, easy to wall/kill, hazards are everywhere, voltturn (and rotom-w niftily outspeeds with a scarf), it's hard as hell to set up without dying, cloyster is a better smasher in general, etc, etc, etc
Cloyster's ice typing screws him over though. Being pure water, Gorebyss doesn't have to worry so much about priority attacks, and she has HP Grass to take out other waters.

She plays an entirely different role anyway. While Cloyster is best as a physical sweeper, Gorebyss is best as a special sweeper. Cloyster COULD be a special sweeper, but Gorebyss has better sp atk for it. Her only handicap is that she lacks a priority move, but she becomes fast enough where it's usually not a big deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minzy View Post
One set doesn't generally make a Pokemon. You see Shell Smash / Baton Pass / Scald / HP Fire, typically, to handle the BP aspect as well as STAB and having a way to kill Ferrothorn after the switch in surprise with Shell Smash. This is the only set Gorebyss can fully utilize in the OU metagame; there's no argument that can withstand, normally. With this, things like Adamant Max Attack Breloom kill it with STAB Priority, since Gorebyss has to carry Focus Sash, meaning it loses White Herb which could restore its already frail defenses.

It's an all right Pokemon, but one set doesn't make it.
I don't see that many Brelooms anymore, and even if I am faced with a Breloom, I just bring out Shuckle to counter. I switch in, set up rocks, and as soon as Breloom attacks he's Red Carded out. And I don't think Gorebyss needs a Focus Sash, because she can usually survive an attack or two unless it's an attack from an offensive monster like Conkeldurr or Guts Raticate/Swellow.

I run Shell Smash, Surf, Ice Beam, HP Grass on Gorebyss. It gives her decent enough coverage, while Ice Beam takes out dragons (as well as flying types and most grass types) and HP Grass takes out bulky waters. As for Ferrothorn, he isn't a problem, because I can lead with a fire type, like Houndoom, which has not only good sp atk and decent speed, but access to strong fire type moves and taunt, and he can resist Power Whip like a boss to boot.

Last edited by Natural Harmonia Gropius; January 28th, 2012 at 08:55 AM. Reason: Your double post has been automatically merged.
  #8    
Old January 28th, 2012, 08:55 AM
Ephemeral Euphoria's Avatar
Ephemeral Euphoria
From Hell To The Stars
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Between Nirvana And Purgatory
Nature: Quiet
For Gorebyss I prefer to run Shell Smash, Scald, Ice Beam, and Baton Pass with Focus Sash as its held item so I can ensure getting at least one SS up and Passing it to one of its teammates such as Rotom W or Politoed for example but then again I can't imagine it being that great of a sweeper in all honesty but it can make a pretty decent team player though due to being able to boost so easily then BP it as I said before but that's just my opinion lol.
__________________
From Hell I wander.
  #9    
Old January 28th, 2012, 08:57 AM
Kyrk's Avatar
Kyrk
(╯°□°)╯︵ɔıb oן
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Gender: Male
Some people don't use Gorebyss/Huntail because I guess they feel like they don't want to be considered "cheap" like what smash-passing is considered - even competitive battlers have morals. Even then, while smash-passing is "cheap", it's still manageable in multiple ways, such as phazing, priority, tricking, cursing, etc.
  #10    
Old January 28th, 2012, 09:53 AM
Dark Azelf's Avatar
Dark Azelf
ThisWillBeTheEndOfEveryth ing.
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Age: 23
Gender: Male
Nature: Impish
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural Harmonia Gropius View Post
Cloyster's ice typing screws him over though. Being pure water, Gorebyss doesn't have to worry so much about priority attacks, and she has HP Grass to take out other waters.


She plays an entirely different role anyway. While Cloyster is best as a physical sweeper, Gorebyss is best as a special sweeper. Cloyster COULD be a special sweeper, but Gorebyss has better sp atk for it. Her only handicap is that she lacks a priority move, but she becomes fast enough where it's usually not a big deal.


I don't see that many Brelooms anymore, and even if I am faced with a Breloom, I just bring out Shuckle to counter. I switch in, set up rocks, and as soon as Breloom attacks he's Red Carded out. And I don't think Gorebyss needs a Focus Sash, because she can usually survive an attack or two unless it's an attack from an offensive monster like Conkeldurr or Guts Raticate/Swellow.

I run Shell Smash, Surf, Ice Beam, HP Grass on Gorebyss. It gives her decent enough coverage, while Ice Beam takes out dragons (as well as flying types and most grass types) and HP Grass takes out bulky waters. As for Ferrothorn, he isn't a problem, because I can lead with a fire type, like Houndoom, which has not only good sp atk and decent speed, but access to strong fire type moves and taunt, and he can resist Power Whip like a boss to boot.
K firstly i really hope you were joking about the Breloom being countered by Shuckle comment. You Red Card it out after being Spored and set up on and get swept later in the match because all that does is prolong your fate after Red Card has been used if you are use Shuckle to counter Breloom, its a really bad way to deal with it. Raticate and Swellow are irrelevant as they are NU/RU and are really not offensive monster at all tbh.

Next, Gorebyss as a sweeper is outclassed by Cloyster. Cloysters can use both its attacking stats allowing it a much easier time to sweep whilst Gorebyss has moveslot syndrome. Use HP Fire for Ferro ? Good luck with Gastrodon and other waters like Rotom-W and Jellicent, use HP Grass ? Nice Ferrothorn etc weakness. Cloyster can OHKO every single one of those with either Rock Blast or Icicle Spear. It can even nail physical walls with Hydro Pump whilst Gorebyss struggles with special walls greatly.

Cloyster also has a massive speed advantage, where Gorebyss would fail to such scarfers like Terrakion, Landorus and the like Cloyster simply outspeeds all of them and OHKO's.

Shell Smash sweeper Gorebyss is simply too easy to stop because of the reasons explained above hence why no one uses it and Cloyster is the only SSer in Ou. The main reason you should use it is SmashPassing with Dual Screen support but since Dooxys-S was banned its harder to pull off since D-S was THE ultimate utility mon. Espeon is a good dual screener but lacks SR and the speed and the same with D-D, minus the SR part.

Lastly just for the record Focus Sash mid/late game is still a horrible item choice. White Herb or even LO is far superior. Seems people forget that Stealth Rock/Spikes/SS infest the metagame making sash a wasted slot.
__________________


Since the beginning of time, man has sought to know the unimaginable. To shake hands with the intangible. To measure the abstract with concrete gauges, to fit the mind of the infinite within the imagination of the finite. Nevermore.
Pair x Poki. Aka Miss Botifgt. <3
[00:22] @Sanguine: [00:21] Dark Azelf+: nah my ass is tight
[00:22] @Sanguine: :3
@Sanguine: you've acquired sxcness I see
[15:59] +Alice Cooper: a hot chocolate enema would be nice, no?

Last edited by Dark Azelf; January 28th, 2012 at 10:15 AM.
  #11    
Old January 28th, 2012, 10:03 AM
Cat's Avatar
Cat
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Hoenn ☆
Age: 20
Gender: Male
Nature: Relaxed
Send a message via Skype™ to Cat
I love Gorebyss' design however I've never used her on my team before, it's something I need to do but she can land some great hits.
__________________


  #12    
Old January 28th, 2012, 10:05 AM
Vrai
can you feel my heart?
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Age: 19
Gender: Male
Nature: Adamant
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Vrai
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural Harmonia Gropius View Post
Cloyster's ice typing screws him over though. Being pure water, Gorebyss doesn't have to worry so much about priority attacks, and she has HP Grass to take out other waters.

She plays an entirely different role anyway. While Cloyster is best as a physical sweeper, Gorebyss is best as a special sweeper. Cloyster COULD be a special sweeper, but Gorebyss has better sp atk for it. Her only handicap is that she lacks a priority move, but she becomes fast enough where it's usually not a big deal.
Yeah, but Cloyster also has a brilliant 180 base Defense that generally makes those priority attacks not even matter. And D_A brought up an excellent point about HP Grass; either you run that and lose to Ferrothorn or you run HP Fire and lose to bulky waters, both of whom Cloyster can beat handily. Yes, obviously Cloyster attacks from the physical spectrum and Gorebyss from the special but that actually plays against your argument here... Gorebyss, for example, has no way in hell it will ever break through prominent special walls such as Blissey, whereas Cloyster shreds through most common physical walls such as Skarmory and Gliscor. Cloyster is inherently faster and as such it actually outspeeds most common scarf users like Terrakion so it doesn't even need that priority, whereas Gorebyss loses to all of them and has no priority to make up for it. You're overestimating what Shell Smash does to your speed, here. Gorebyss isn't used as much as you expect it to be because it's outclassed in every role but SmashPass, plain and simple.
__________________
aka Zebraiken | pairs; Ω & ζ | bffl; λ | now; Ϟ | twin; ξ | brother; φ | sister; Ψ | neeks; Ϫ
  #13    
Old January 28th, 2012, 10:16 AM
Overlord Drakow's Avatar
Overlord Drakow
-CONQUERER
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Hell
Nature: Serious
Vrai has spoken! I agree with him.
__________________
"I consider myself a necessary evil." - Overlord Drakow
Forum Set // Pair
  #14    
Old January 28th, 2012, 11:40 AM
Natural Harmonia Gropius's Avatar
Natural Harmonia Gropius
Beginning Trainer
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Gender: Male
I didn't look carefully at Cloyster's defenses, now that I see how high they are, I get why Cloyster is usually taken over Gorebyss. It's a shame that Gorebyss can't do more, because she's one of my favorite pokemon =/
  #15    
Old January 28th, 2012, 12:37 PM
Antebellum's Avatar
Antebellum
One Word Extinguisher
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: +
Gender: Male
Nature: Adamant
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Antebellum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural Harmonia Gropius View Post
I didn't look carefully at Cloyster's defenses, now that I see how high they are, I get why Cloyster is usually taken over Gorebyss. It's a shame that Gorebyss can't do more, because she's one of my favorite pokemon =/
Fear not, my son!

Gorebyss is definitely still capable of putting together a sweep in OU when given proper team support [for example, using Pursuit to trap Blissey or having a Rotom-W using HP Fire out of nowhere to surprise and kill Ferrothorn]. Not only that, but Gorebyss is also infinitely useful as a Baton Passer of Shell Smash, so while Gorebyss may not be able to put together a full sweep at +2/+2/+2, a Salamence certainly could. Gorebyss is also a major threat in the lower tiers, especially NU, so you could use it there, where it has a much better chance of sweeping a team, due to the lack of Pokemon that can wall it.
 
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Minimum Characters Per Post: 25



All times are UTC -8. The time now is 09:13 AM.


Style by Nymphadora, artwork by Sa-Dui.
Like our Facebook Page Follow us on Twitter © 2002 - 2014 The PokéCommunity™, pokecommunity.com.
Pokémon characters and images belong to The Pokémon Company International and Nintendo. This website is in no way affiliated with or endorsed by Nintendo, Creatures, GAMEFREAK, The Pokémon Company or The Pokémon Company International. We just love Pokémon.
All forum styles, their images (unless noted otherwise) and site designs are © 2002 - 2014 The PokéCommunity / PokéCommunity.com.
PokéCommunity™ is a trademark of The PokéCommunity. All rights reserved. Sponsor advertisements do not imply our endorsement of that product or service. User generated content remains the property of its creator.