• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen Glitch Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bela

Banned
Years
I've performed the Missingno. glitch, given myself hella Rare Candies, seen the truck, and been to glitch city. What I really want to do now is collect information on all the different RBY glitch Pokemon.

The richest resource I've found thusfar is Glitch City Laboratories; unfortunately, this site has been down for some time. Therefore, I have had to rely on the wayback archive to find information from that website...and the archive doesn't have all the pages saved. :(

It's something I want to include in the hack I'm working on. I want to pay homage to these stories and rumors that we've likely all heard in our childhood. I'm including in my hack things such as glitch city and the glitch Pokemon (like PokeWTrainer and other strong ones), but I can't seem to find complete information (as in base stats, movelists, TM lists, etc) on all the glitch Pokemon anywhere. Does anybody here know of a resource I could access to help me? It would be much appreciated. :)

Last edited:

teejermiester

Minnesotan, you betcha!
Years
I've performed the Missingno. glitch, given myself hella Rare Candies, seen the truck, and been to glitch city. What I really want to do now is collect information on all the different RBY glitch Pokemon.

The richest resource I've found thusfar is Glitch City Laboratories; unfortunately, this site has been down for some time. Therefore, I have had to rely on the wayback archive to find information from that website...and the archive doesn't have all the pages saved. :(

It's something I want to include in the hack I'm working on. I want to pay homage to these stories and rumors that we've likely all heard in our childhood. I'm including in my hack things such as glitch city and the glitch Pokemon (like PokeWTrainer and other strong ones), but I can't seem to find complete information (as in base stats, movelists, TM lists, etc) on all the glitch Pokemon anywhere. Does anybody here know of a resource I could access to help me? It would be much appreciated. :)

Bulbapedia actually has some nice pages on glitch pokemon and glitch move. I would check that out.

darkpokeball

Beware the Chainsaw Meowth 0.o
Years
I remember doing the Mew glitch in Red, and it recieved a permanent spot in my team. I even did the Missingno glitch, I remember catching it a few times. However, whenever I did, I never saved, because I didn't want my game to screw up. I even used it to get like 99 masterballs. Then, I lost my Red cartridge. Poop.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Dec 29, 2011
1313918446377.png
1313921904271.png

Anyone interested? I can post instructions, but they're long and rather complicated. If nobody is interested, I'd rather not take the time.

Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxfy4659f4Y

HAHA! I had begun to tell myself that Pokegods didn't exist after years of solidly believing them cause some kid showed me "Pikablu" just like that one, it had Surf and Fly as well. To think it was actually obtainable through normal means and I must've offered that guy every pokemon I had.

Yingxue

Since October 2003
Years
I have a question, I apologize if it's been asked.

Why does MissingNo have a base stat for Defense of 0?

I played a ROM of JPN Green version, and did not encounter the Japanese Missingno (けつばん) with the old man glitch.

Years
  • Seen Jan 26, 2021
Just discovered this:

In Generation I if Ditto (or another Pokémon with only Transform) faces another Pokémon with Transform in a Trainer battle where neither Trainer has any items and no Pokémon besides the Pokémon with Transform, the battle will never end. This is because when Transform is used, the Pokémon will turn into its opponent, resulting in a Transform moveset of, again, only Transform. Since every time Transform is used, it gives the Pokémon using it the target's moveset with 5 PP each, Transform will continue to Transform into itself, restoring the PP every time it is used. Due to this, one will never reach a point where it can only use Struggle, unlike Wynaut and Wobbuffet in later generations who, although they too have no directly damaging moves, will eventually run out of PP and thus be able to use Struggle. This is likely why few Trainers have Ditto in the Generation I games.
This bug is not present in any other games because of a change in Transform mechanics: from Generation II onwards, it is not possible to Transform into a Pokémon that is the Transformation of another Pokémon.

blue

gucci
Years
I remember I was playing Blue and I had just started again, I saved in Pallet Town and when I switched my GBA back on I was outside of the border... basically trapped.

Years
I've played about with all the glitches :D I read about the Missingno glitch in a Pokemon magazine (I think it was Pokemon World) so I thought I'd give it a go; it blew my little mind as a child :P

Glitch City is awesome. I love Pikachu going all crazy in Pokemon Yellow, hehe.

Years
  • Seen Mar 10, 2013
I have a question, I apologize if it's been asked.

Why does MissingNo have a base stat for Defense of 0?

I played a ROM of JPN Green version, and did not encounter the Japanese Missingno (けつばん) with the old man glitch.

It's purely a coincidence. Almost everything about Missingno is the game trying to read data from the wrong places as if it were a Pokémon, and a Game Boy game being designed around the restrictions of twenty-year old technology doesn't have much in the way of checks to make sure things aren't being read incorrectly. In Missingno's case, the game is being told to read values that are meant to be the party lists for some Biker class trainers, as if they were the values for determining Pokémon information:

The first Biker has a level 33 Muk (Number 136 in the game's internal Pokémon list) - a marker (0) indicates the end of his party data. The next one has a party of level 29 Voltorbs (Number 6 in the Pokémon list)

Missingno's Base HP is 33, Attack 136, Defence 0, Special 6, Speed 29.

This goes on for the rest of Missingno's data - movelist (hence the double water guns), typing (why it uses the Bird type is another happy coincidence) catch rate and so forth.

Information sourced form here.

Last edited:

The Shiny Ho-Oh

Golden Bird
Years
Ho-Oh's Glitch Tutorials [under construction]

Ever since I was a kid, I've loved the glitches on Pokemon. Back then, all that was really known was Missingno. Recently, I picked back up my Yellow and Crystal versions, and since then, I've been exploring the darkest regions of the game. Some new glitches have popped up, and they are known in only a few parts of the internet. I'll be compiling them here.

Crystal Glitches:

How to make ANY captured Pokemon shiny [Crystal]:
Spoiler:

How to get all 3 starters [Crystal]:
This is one of my personal favorite glitches. It's incredibly simple to do, and doesn't take much time at all.
Spoiler:

How to get a level 2 Celebi that enters your Pokedex [Crystal]
-Coming Soon

Basic cloning [Crystal]
-Coming Soon

If you found this helpful, leave a message and let me know.
Also, which of the coming soon glitches are you most interested in? These tutorials are difficult to write, so I'll need to know where to focus my energies.

Last edited:

The Shiny Ho-Oh

Golden Bird
Years
Ho-Oh's Glitch Tutorials [under construction]

Yellow Glitches

How to get a level 100 Pokemon before Brock
Spoiler:

The Mew Glitch (extended - level 100)
-Coming Soon

Moveset/color swapping (Pikablu)
-Coming Soon

Last edited:

gvgisdi

Officially addicted to Crystal
Years
This is a very good tutorial. Really looks like you have put a lot of thought into it.

I'll be waiting for the other ones! (Though I probably won't do any of them, because I'm too scared that it might screw up my game D: )

I'm really interested in how does this one with getting every starter work.

XDragonRiderX

Time flies.
Years
  • Seen Apr 24, 2021
Weird, the 3 starters one didn't work for me. Maybe my timing's off but I did it about 5 times before giving up.
I personally want to see how to get Missingo on Yellow without GameShark if that's possible.

Lost Lore

From the Shadows
Years
I don't think you need gameshark for Missingno on Yellow, anyway...

The ones for Crystal work for Gold/Silver too I'm assuming, and the one for the starters definitely does, since I'd worked it out myself XD I've been trying the one for any shiny but so far no luck, going to keep trying~

Definitely interested to hear about the Moveset/Colour Swapping most.

The Shiny Ho-Oh

Golden Bird
Years
It was originally a Pikachu.
1325345712714.png

1325345716871.png

EDIT:
Okay, so my New Years party is over, and I'm back to work. I have all the pictures taken for the 'Level 100 in the beginning of the game' tutorial. Getting it written up.

Last edited:
Years
I have an annoying glitch Poke that is starting to anger me. Here's his story.

So on my Blue version, I like to do a bunch of glitch experiments. At some point, while my friend was over, I decided to glitch up either my Blue version or my Gold version. So I put my Blue into my GB and my Gold into the GBA SP. I went into the time capsule and traded (I can't remember what). Then I turned off the SP in the middle of the trade. This broke my SP (it's still being repaired :( ) and put an annoying glitch Poke in my Blue. On the Pokemon menu, the arrow points to a blank space (which currently is at the back of my party. When I check the stats, everything is that of Charizard except his name is Gastly. He is level 22 and when I navigate to the second page of stats, he renames to 'M (who never looked like Charizard before). He knows (unnamed move) with 10/50 PP, TM12 with 5/50 PP, [glitch]9999 with 10/8 PP (???) and Night Shade with 15/15 PP. I can't deposit him in my PC which is my biggest problem. How do I get rid of him?

Please PM me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back