• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

HackMew's Knowledge

Zeffy

g'day
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Feb 7, 2024
Ok, I follow everything on the tutorial but whenever I try to locate my Desktop like this:

Code:
C>Documents and Settings\Name\Desktop

It says:

Code:
'DOCUMENTS' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

I don't get it. HELP!

xGGxToiZ

>.//:SO HOT:\\.<
Years
Woah! Wtf . .

It's recovery time!
So we got a screwed up ROM... Let's fix it.
1. Take your screwed up ROM and a clean one. Just for exteme safety, do a backup of the ruined ROM.
2. Now repeat the last change you did on the clean ROM you took.
In my case I would re-insert Charmeleon over Charmander on the clean ROM, with "Auto abort" off. In your case this action will depend on what you did earlier.
3. Then open A-Ptch or whatever patcher you fancy. As the original, unmodified ROM take the modified clean ROM. As the new modified ROM take the screwed up ROM.
4. Create the patch.
5. Now take another clean ROM and apply the patch you just created to it.​
If you did everything correctly, the ROM will be fully recovered now.

OMFG! That was amazing . .

My ROM was screwed because of music editing then I saw this thread and followed it and what do you know, it really FIXED it! (This prevented me from doing additional 5 hours of repairing xD)

" I thought that was it."

Thanks a lot!
You're really the best . . (and no, no flattery)

Last edited:

Full Metal

C(++) Developer.
Years
Ok, I follow everything on the tutorial but whenever I try to locate my Desktop like this:

Code:
C>Documents and Settings\Name\Desktop

It says:

Code:
'DOCUMENTS' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

I don't get it. HELP!
try using quotes *character count*

Years
  • Seen Oct 24, 2013
OMFG! That was amazing . .

My ROM was screwed because of music editing then I saw this thread and followed it and what do you know, it really FIXED it! (This prevented me from doing additional 5 hours of repairing xD)

" I thought that was it."

Thanks a lot!
You're really the best . . (and no, no flattery)

Can you help me? I didn't managed to do it. I wanted to delete 2 maps from the same bank so I did a way I found in a tut. On Map Header I put -2. Then I inserted a blank map and those 2 were gone. But then every map with bank 3 didn't open. It said 'Access violation at address 004CCB2A in module 'AdvanceMap.exe'. Read of address 22222222'. I followed the instructions for rescuing but it did not work! It said the file was invalid to patch! Please, help me.

altariaking

Needs NO VMs...
Years
i'm having trouble at the very beggining with the command prompt...
after i type everything in it says-
C>CUsers\marc\Desktop>
but it still won't work...

Zeffy

g'day
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Feb 7, 2024
i'm having trouble at the very beggining with the command prompt...
after i type everything in it says-
C>CUsers\marc\Desktop>
but it still won't work...
I've had that problem too. Maybe you're using the wrong command prompt.

What OS are you using?

If XP go to Start Menu, then select Run and type in cmd. If you typed in command prompt, it won't work.

If Vista, go to Start Menu, then type cmd.

If other OS, then I don't know.

I have a problem now, everytime I insert an ASM file, it screws up my ROM. I'm sure I'm using a clean ROM, I've tried different ROMs now but it still screws up.

Full Metal

C(++) Developer.
Years
Umm, could you give an example I don't quite get it.

command prompt works like thish (in a laymans' nutshell)
programfilename program-argument <mawr program arguments>
If your current directory is
"C:\"
and you enter "job.exe"
cmd concatenates the two onto eachother, and you get "C:\job.exe", which is then executed
now if you typed
"job.exe C:\program files"
that would not work because the argument gets split into...
"C:\program" and "files"
to solve this, put it in quotes

Zeffy

g'day
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Feb 7, 2024

command prompt works like thish (in a laymans' nutshell)
programfilename program-argument <mawr program arguments>
If your current directory is
"C:\"
and you enter "job.exe"
cmd concatenates the two onto eachother, and you get "C:\job.exe", which is then executed
now if you typed
"job.exe C:\program files"
that would not work because the argument gets split into...
"C:\program" and "files"
to solve this, put it in quotes
I already solved that problem, thanks anyways. But, your post is full of smileys. :/

JoshuRAWRR

Beginning Hacking
Years
  • Seen Aug 29, 2010
hey, i just started pokehacking...and im very low on scripts :'(
but hackmew this helped alot

Years
  • Seen Jun 6, 2014
i have question about compiling
i understand how it was done and all but how was it compiled into the rom? i dont see where that happened :(

and also concerning palettes if i was making a titlescreen would it be possible to repoint the palettes to a different offset wouldnt that make it easier for using images that used 32 palettes or more?

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Jul 2, 2010
Cool you are the best Hack Mew I love using your tools they are just so convenient. Good job. Just keep on hacking.

Samike360

Lover of May
Years
I have a problem...I've been doing the ASM tutorial but whenever I start the debugger and the Rom, it always gives me an error and shuts out of the rom with an error report. It says "VBA-over.ini not found" on the command prompt.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Mar 25, 2024
I have a problem...I've been doing the ASM tutorial but whenever I start the debugger and the Rom, it always gives me an error and shuts out of the rom with an error report. It says "VBA-over.ini not found" on the command prompt.
if you have the ordinary VBA, copy it's .ini file and paste the same directory as the debugger.

Back