• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Completely Hacking the Fire Red Title Screen by DawnRyder

Years
  • Seen Jun 22, 2013
Yeah I just found that out, and that the flames are separate in the offset 141(for me) and also that you can put the pokemon, the press start logo, and the gamefreak logo all on the same layer, and then have different palette map values on the press start, pokemon, etc.

That is what I did. Result:
WELL, I cant post images, but I would show you if I could. (Had to make a new account, to avoid... someone.)

It is kind of a bummer that those blocks are messed up.

Years
  • Seen Feb 20, 2010
Helped alot with my WIP Hack but anyone know a good logo editing to tutorial?
It looks abit weird when it says Pokemon FireRed on the screen.

Years
  • Seen Feb 20, 2010
I see where your coming from but it looks terrible in that tut. I'll us the other PHO Logo tut.

-MéWtH2-

MEWTH2 kicks butt . . .
Years
Wow...

Finally! Of all the BG editing tutorials that I have read, this one is the best! Oh, and that glitchy tile thing, I've gotten rid of it!

You're the best!
Thanks!

Giga Universe

Working on a tool.
Years
Great Tutorial!
I know the reason why those glitchy blocks are there. I'm pretty sure they appear from having duplicate tiles in the Tileset. To fix this error, download a Tool called Sphere (Its a game maker) install it and Go File -> Import -> Image to Tile set and It will generate a Tile set AND a tilemap for you. Screenshot the tileset and save it (index it aswell). NTME has a function to impoirt the Sphere TIlemaps (.rmp extension). This will allow you to create a perfect title screen!

DreadWaffle

LOVE AND PEACE!
Years
so i am making my screen,
and i am needing to know how to get my picture this
picture.php

to 4 bit depth? it says it is 8 right now

pspdude

:o super shinx?
Years
_vector-snowy-background-preview2-b.png

thats what my Titlescreen looks like right now but can someone help me with the bottom of the bg? >.< the colours are all screwed up D:!!! (someone plz tell me how to fix this ;D)

Years
  • Seen Jan 3, 2010
Hey. Nice tutorial and all, but when i get to the importing the sprite (im using a ho oh btw) and i get an error. [ERROR: Image is not Indexed] Reply asap if you can. Tanks.

CrazyJoey

Designer&NewbHacker
Years
I really thanks you for this, but I got one question.
With the background, if I import it, it says : ''Error : Image not indexed''.
Im a beginning hacker, so how to index the image?

Regards,
Joey.

pspdude

:o super shinx?
Years
I really thanks you for this, but I got one question.
With the background, if I import it, it says : ''Error : Image not indexed''.
Im a beginning hacker, so how to index the image?

Regards,
Joey.
go in irfan view and click image>decrease color depth>16 colors (4BPP)
save your image and boom its indexed

Years
i can do this on fire red but what about leaf green? i did everything I got the pic i wanted up on the screen looks good...but the color... it's not the same as charizard on the APE thingy... I need the one for veanasaur does any one know it..? please? =<

Omega Zero

Is back...
Years
i can do this on fire red but what about leaf green? i did everything I got the pic i wanted up on the screen looks good...but the color... it's not the same as charizard on the APE thingy... I need the one for veanasaur does any one know it..? please? =<
Well you could ask for the venusaur ape offset in simple questions it might get answered there 8D

Kwajah

i'm close to the edge
Years
My APE says that error code 13 thing. But when I print screen and paste it in paint that pallet doesnt show like you said :s
Help please?

Aureol

Kanto/Electric-Type Enthusiast
Years
I've been having a lot of problems, but most of my questions have already been solved just through reading this topic and thinking a little, so thanks both for the SUPERB tutorial and those that take the time to answer questions.

My APE says that error code 13 thing. But when I print screen and paste it in paint that pallet doesnt show like you said :s
Help please?

Instead of messing with that, do the following (well, worked for me anyways):

-Run APE until it gets to the Error 13 thingy. DO NOT QUIT/PRESS OK.
-Open a new text document.
-Jot down each of the 16 values in the bottom palette. Mine were
E003 7956 2F2D BF7F AD35 B418 1F6B A514
9F56 FD41 5A2D FF7F 1348 0D58 1A20 0B4C
-Then just run APE again, reload the original palette (but not your own), and instead type each of the values in the proper boxes at the bottom half. Then proceed as normal.

Hope that works :)

On a personal issue, I've gotten everything down except my sprite has a couple glitchy spots on it. What's up with that? I already removed the rom, but if I try it again I'll post a picture.

Last edited:

Maco

learning the ropes...
Years
After replacing the palette (and it definitely looks replaced in APE), the colours are still the messed-up original colours.
Edit: My bad I didn't select palette 15 in the drop down menu

Last edited:

Shiny Quagsire

I'm Still Alive, Elsewhere
Years
They cannot be set at F because you will have blinking stuff all over the place. So, just set it up like this:

You know, I bet that the F is used to flash the "Press Start" text, and replaces it with the transparency that was indexed. I'll take a look at the actual tilemap when I get the chance.

Midori

Deep Sea Tentacruel
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Aug 19, 2010
I need help editing the title in the titlescreen. I made an attempt to duplicate process used for 16 color stuff, and it didn't work. It wound up like this:

Back