• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

1st Gen Did you get rid of your Pikachu in Yellow?

Did you get rid of it?

• Yes, I did!

Votes: 41 19.8%
  • No, I didn't.

Votes: 166 80.2%

• Total voters
Years
Well, I'm playing through my Pokemon Yellow again right now and no I didn't get rid of it because I keep getting so lucky with it and getting one-hit ko's with it. It's a powerhouse but I don't think that'll last for long. We'll see! :D

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
Years
I got rid of him, he's just too weak. Even Thunder didn't do any significant damage.

He's a lot better in GSC since he holds a Light Ball once you trade him to the newer games.

Meaii

The countdown begins ...
Years
Since I was really young then, I thought I had to keep him, even though I did only play it for about 1 hour one day at my friend's house. I just thought you had to keep Pikachu, or it was game over. o.o

Years
  • Seen Sep 12, 2016
I traded mine to the Blue version and evolve it!
It was one of my power house back in the days,
before getting to know of Electabuzz's existent. lol

Jumpleet

Rise Above The Rest
Years
Look at this face
url

Would you get rid of it?

EDIT: Can you see the face? Because I can't. What I am trying to say is that Pikachu is awesome.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023
100 keeps, woo! I kept him too simply because at the time I didn't know you could box things paha. The first six Pokémon I caught were the ones I was stuck with - it was lucky I found one for each HM or I'd have been completely stuck. Pikachu is one that I'd quite like to try using properly some time now that I know more about Pokémon and the following animation is adorable, so I probably would keep him in my team if I was to play again but I don't think I'd be too happy about the no evolution concept.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Sep 3, 2013
No. I'm actually not that fond of Pikachu but I reeeeally liked how he looked walking behind you! So cute (´ω` ) I loved checking up on him every now and then~

JorgeAamelo

Reality Bender
Years
I never got rid of it. I always liked how Pikachu kept walking behind you all the time, and when I discovered you could box him and he disappeared I just kept missing it, so it was in my team all the time, yet was the weakest Pokémon of the team.

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
I put it away in my PC during my third gym battle, but I later got it back because it was the strongest Pokémon I had at that time. Just like most of you, I was kind of upset that I couldn't evolve it into a Raichu. I loved it when it was following me around, though, because it was very cute to see that little creature right beside me. n__n Also, it was fun to see the expressions on its face when you interacted with it.

tsubaki9

Send the dead back to dead!
Years
I thought I couldn't get rid of it.
But I used it as a lead of my team.
It's not the best lead but it's a good lead in my opinion.

Lucky1Yena

Just some guy
Years
Outside of trading or a glitch, I don't think you CAN truly get rid of the Pikachu. Sure, you can store it in the PC, but you can't release it and can't evolve it.

KidCarter93

PokéTech Guy
Years
I always kept Pikachu because it was awesome :D Obviously it wasn't the strongest electric type in the game but, like many others here, I never PC my starters (apart from when I'm playing different challenges). Plus the fact it followed me around simply made it a keeper in my opinion.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 11, 2023
No. If I didn't want Pikachu in my party I would have played Red or Blue. But since I was playing Yellow then Pikachu was definitely going to be a staple on my team from the beginning.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Sep 5, 2013
Never got rid of it.
As several people in this thread said already, I usually keep my starters, as they are a somewhat 'special' Pokémon to the game (to me at least).
I never see the Pokémon games as a strategic battle game only, I mostly like the 'artistic' aspects of it. The design, the music, basically what goes on in your head for the most part; really "getting into the game", the story, the feeling of being a trainer going on a huge adventure.
Therefore I also care a lot about the Pokémon I use, despite from judging them on their strenght.

Years
The fact that the starting Pikachu could never evolve into Raichu in Yellow severely hampered its usage. Not to mention you could get the starters anyways and they become better than Pikachu.

Alloute

Cat Burglar
Years
Actually I used him like a normal Pokemon but only because I was playing as Ash and I wanted to emulate his team lol. I liked my Pikachu I just wish I still had Yellow version so he could walk behind me. Ah the memories.

Years
I didn't get rid of Pikachu at all simply because I really enjoyed the concept of being able to have a Pokémon traveling behind you, and because I thought the expressions it had offered were hilarious.

Years
  • Seen Jul 2, 2023
No, I didn't get rid of Pikachu. I always grow really attached to my starter (I don't even like to box it temporarily, if I can help it), so I never even considered getting rid of my Pikachu in Yellow. Also, I liked talking to Pikachu, having it follow me, etc., and it would have been a shame to lose access to those features because I traded it away, boxed it, etc.

I think my Yellow Version Pikachu knows Surf (from Stadium), so it's more versatile than the average RBY Pikachu. Of course, its stats are still pretty weak, but for in-game, how much does that really matter, anyway?

Back