• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Which starter did you choose?

PiPVoda

water, Forever
Years
  • Age 29
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 2, 2022
Mudkip, of course. the ohters are okay, but I found that swampert was probably the best of the final evos. Never had any problems beating any trainer with it.

TrilbyMenetti

HeartGold trainer
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Mar 3, 2011
I started with Mudkip in Sapphire, because I loved the look of it and Charmander in FireRed, which looking back was odd, considering I started off with Bulbasaur in Red.

SonicTH

Crazy Sonic and Poke-fan
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen May 30, 2011
Bulbasaur in LeafGreen (he is one of my fav Pokemon) and Torchic in Sapphire.

Raba

Dashuu~
Years
Most of the time, in Pokemon games, I usually pick the starter that I felt like picking when I saw the episodes. Like in R/S/E I watched a few of the episodes and decided on Treecko because of how cool he looked/the design.
Also he had a tough guy look with his toothpick/stick.

Syvelocin

Eevee Breeder
Years
FireRed, chose Bulbasaur
My first playthrough of Sapphire, Torchic.
I now always choose Mudkip on Emerald. He's just too adorable.

Sully

advanced trainer
Years
I believe the first time I played through RSE I chose Mudkip (I love Swampert).
And the first time I played through FRLG I chose Charmander. (:

Cheyron

Starting out
Years
I chose a different one each time I played.

Well, that's until I discovered you could begin a game, trade it via cable and when you have the last one, trade the other two back.

Such an genius idea. Haha.

Superjub

Pokémon Aureolin
Years
Torchic and Charmander too.

For odd numbered gens up to now, I've always ended up choosing Fire types. :'D I'm a little sad I'll be breaking said tradition for Gen 5 but oh well. The fire type was the only starter I liked in RSE and I love all the starters in FRLG but decided I like Charmander the most. ♥

The same for me. ^^ The only time I choose the other starters is to trade to my main game (usually Emerald), but other than that, I always choose Torchic. Blaziken is awesome, and one of my favourite Pokemon. ^^ Combusken is meh, but I only have it for a small amount of time before it evolves into Blaziken. :P

For Kanto Pokemon, I also pick Charmander. I've always liked Charizard ever since I played Red/Blue/Yellow. Plus, Charmander looks cute and Charmeleon looks alright. :)

Unknown#

'Cause why not?
Years
I actually chose Mudkip in Emerald, if only because Swampert is my favorite pokemon from Gen. 3. (Though a friend of mine did trade me a Treeko)

As for Leafgreen, I chose the same Pokemon I normally choose whenever I play Gen. 1, Charmander.

solarowl

I'll always be an Outsider.
Years
LeafGreen, I started with Squirtle.
FireRed, I started with Charmander.
Sapphire, Torchic.
Ruby, Treecko.
Emerald, Mudkip.

Riaxik

Demented Sableye Doll
Years
I remember when I first started Ruby, it was Treecko. As far as I can remember back to FR/LG, I think it was Charmander or Squirtle.

Years
  • Seen May 13, 2011
FR - Squirtle
LG - Bulbasaur
Sapphire - Mudkip
Ruby - Treecko
Emerald - Treecko
SS - Totodile
Black - Snivy
White - Oshawott

Years
I played Ruby and chose Mudkip and she happened to be a GIRL!

Why Mudkip?
Torchic is weak against the first Gym and Treecko just doesn't look like the best...

Back