• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Help & Advice Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
I don't mean mental stage of life, I mean physical stage of life. Are you in high school? College? When you're young you're given reset button after reset button on friends, up until you leave schooling for a job - and even then, if you're really desperate, you can switch jobs to change the people you spend time with.

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
Years
How do I live on without friends irl?
Two options: find some more or learn to like living by yourself.

I have a lot of internet friends and maybe 3-4 offline friends that I see with any regularity. I'm fine with that, myself.

If you want to make offline friends, try going to meetups of people with similar interests (though realize that you'll probably come across some real weirdos at some places). I made a lot of acquaintances and a few friends just hanging out in our department computer lab while I was pursuing my degree. You can also try university clubs (I don't think you need to be an actual student to get into most; I do recommend the smaller clubs, though) and public meetups, like LAN parties if you're a gamer or Linux User Group meetups if you have a lot of experience with technology.

There are plenty of ways to meet people if you're truly motivated to do so.

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Nov 5, 2022
Im not sure I should post this,but I could really use some help and advice. I figured out that I have HOCD,are there any coping techniques I can use? Its really horrible and I cant function like I used to..

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
Years
Im not sure I should post this,but I could really use some help and advice. I figured out that I have HOCD,are there any coping techniques I can use? Its really horrible and I cant function like I used to..
Is that a medical problem? If so, I think you should see a professional about that. Asking for advice on the internet probably isn't going to do you any good and might even be dangerous.

Years

Basically what twocows said, because if it's anything that somebody needs to Google in order to understand or even know about, like I did, then it's probably best to seek professional advice regarding the matter.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 28, 2019
Anti-depressants. Are the risks worth the reward? Anybody have any experience with them?

Years
  • Age 51
  • Seen Jul 22, 2016
Anti-depressants. Are the risks worth the reward? Anybody have any experience with them?

Anti-depressants, like any drug (including Tylenol), has side-effects. With anti-depressants, there have been a lot of stories that taking certain of these medications has led to some having suicidal thoughts. And it's not just one type. It really depends on a person's physiology and how their system reacts to the drugs being taken. Before even considering taking anti-depressants you should consult your doctor and specifically talk about the risks associated with the type of medication your doctor is proposing to prescribe to you.

Origin Green

Smell ya later!
Years
Really need some help with my relationship.

Guys I'm not sure I know where to turn, but this community is so awesome and friendly I'm hoping somebody can help calm me down...

I was with my ex for almost 3 years...

She left me right at the beginning of April (April 6th), and within days she was dating guys using an online dating website, I discovered this on her twitter...

Anyway, here we are two months later, I have made no contact in these two months and it hurts quite a lot. My friend who still has her on Facebook has noticed she is now in a relationship with another guy (a complete different guy to the one mentioned on twitter)

So my question, do you guys think this is a rebound? She is the type of girl to lock her emotions away when she is in pain, and before I was with her I have seen her enter a rebound relationship before...

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 30, 2023
Guys I'm not sure I know where to turn, but this community is so awesome and friendly I'm hoping somebody can help calm me down...

She left me right at the beginning of April (April 6th), and within days she was dating guys using an online dating website, I discovered this on her twitter...

Anyway, here we are two months later, I have made no contact in these two months and it hurts quite a lot. My friend who still has her on Facebook has noticed she is now in a relationship with another guy (a complete different guy to the one mentioned on twitter)

So my question, do you guys think this is a rebound? She is the type of girl to lock her emotions away when she is in pain, and before I was with her I have seen her enter a rebound relationship before...
Hey there, just merged your thread in here buddy.

If I were to give you advice though, it would be this; don't worry too much about what she's doing. If she's with another guy now, that is her choice whether it is rebound or not. Right now, you need to take the time to be your own person and work on your own goals and opportunities in life. Thinking about her and how she's getting on will only hurt you further. Whether or not she's rebounding shouldn't matter at all to you. I understand you may be concerned for her, but you should be more concerned about doing your best to move on. If you're still holding onto hope of getting back together, I would recommend that you don't think about it. If somewhere down the line it works out between you two again, great, but the chances are you're best off just moving on given what has happened. And by moving on, I mean completely. If you love(d) her, it's going to take a long time to let those feelings dwindle. So I suggest that you really pull yourself out of that relationship, and thinking about it, and just go ahead and be your own person and do the things that make you happy. Try not to worry about what she's doing, it really shouldn't matter, and all it's going to do is hurt you thinking about it.

Universe

all-consuming
Years
  • Seen Nov 17, 2016

I'll go ahead and throw in my two cents as well if you don't mind, friend.

She left you, dear. I wish there was a kinder way to put that, but honesty is the best policy, especially in this case. And while I know it might be hard to not think about her and how this is affecting you and your life, you must keep in mind that she is no longer interested as of right now. It's tough to believe and tough to understand, I know. But if she left you to start with then you might not want to get your hopes up too much... it's not worth the stress you'll end up putting yourself through wondering and waiting on her.

This kind of case to me just feels like she was probably already wanting to see other people before she left you if it only took days for her to hook up with someone again.

Do you really think that kind of person is worth your pain?

Your own well being is far more important than her. You need to focus on yourself and how you are doing, not what she's up to or how she's doing. 3 years is a long time, but any relationship can be gone in a matter of seconds. Anything that is meant to be in life will be, and anything that is not simply won't be. Move on with your life keeping that in mind, and who knows! You could very well find that your life is better off without her if you give it enough time. Because you don't need her around to be happy, I promise you that. Your quality of life does not depend on her being in your life.

Just keep your chin up, okay? Things will get better. They always do.

Give yourself a little tlc every now and again, alright?

pastel_fallout

Sayounara
Years
Hey everyone...
I'm going through a severe depression due to my parents getting a divorce.
I'm staying with my dad. Tbh, I never really liked my mom, but I guess them not being together really is taking a toll on me.
I've been in depression before, but it's never gotten this bad. I'm having bad thoughts. I've been blatantly thinking of many different ways to end my life.
I am very honestly very scared for myself.
I don't have many people to talk to. I don't have many friends that live close to me IRL that I can talk to about this, and I can't talk to my dad about it either. He's depressed enough, I don't need to depress him more.
Going to counseling isn't an option either, as the closest counseling center is 4 towns away, and we simply cannot pay for both the gas and the counseling.
What should I do? I'm worried about myself...

Years
  • Age 51
  • Seen Jul 22, 2016
As a person who also suffers from depression, I can totally relate to your situation. The first thing to remember in cases like this is that there are always options. You've listed one, which is councelling, but as you've already ruled that out, there is another option you can consider. I don't know where you are, but if you are in the U.S. or Canada, every state and province has a youth crisis hotline. These are probably your safest place to start. They're toll free, and completely confidential. These people are very capable of helping you through your situation.

I'd also like to let you know that no matter how difficult it seems, you can help yourself through this. The first step will be to make that phone call.

inksplashed-heart

mimikyu stan
Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Jul 9, 2021
I don't want to sound whiny or anything, but...I miss my sister. Not my real sister, but a friend I've had since sixth grade. She's going as an exchange college student sometime next month, and she's spent this month going out with our friends, just, you know, saying goodbye.
But I haven't been invited.
It's just. Ugh. We used to be so close, then we had a falling out senior year, and it's never been the same since then. I just want it to be easy again, making inappropriate jokes and being as close as we used to be in sixth grade. I want to be there when she leaves for her exchange. Why is it that high school changes so many things that you never ever wanted to change?

Years
Hey everyone...
I'm going through a severe depression due to my parents getting a divorce.
I'm staying with my dad. Tbh, I never really liked my mom, but I guess them not being together really is taking a toll on me.
I've been in depression before, but it's never gotten this bad. I'm having bad thoughts. I've been blatantly thinking of many different ways to end my life.
I am very honestly very scared for myself.
I don't have many people to talk to. I don't have many friends that live close to me IRL that I can talk to about this, and I can't talk to my dad about it either. He's depressed enough, I don't need to depress him more.
Going to counseling isn't an option either, as the closest counseling center is 4 towns away, and we simply cannot pay for both the gas and the counseling.
What should I do? I'm worried about myself...

Are you in High School? Generally schools have at least a "careers counsellor" or similar who aren't exactly qualified, but have sufficient experience and information to help you out. There really are many options but for some reason we struggle to find.
You can always get anonymous help online. Coming here was a really good choice, PC is a really friendly environment, very little judging characters. This thread is tailored to people like you, who are looking for help. Aside from reassuring you I'm afraid I'm not much help personally.
Just know this, we all support you. You are a part of this community, and people here genuinely care about your wellbeing. Don't burn out just yet, give it a little bit it's going to get easier.

I don't want to sound whiny or anything, but...I miss my sister. Not my real sister, but a friend I've had since sixth grade. She's going as an exchange college student sometime next month, and she's spent this month going out with our friends, just, you know, saying goodbye.
But I haven't been invited.
It's just. Ugh. We used to be so close, then we had a falling out senior year, and it's never been the same since then. I just want it to be easy again, making inappropriate jokes and being as close as we used to be in sixth grade. I want to be there when she leaves for her exchange. Why is it that high school changes so many things that you never ever wanted to change?

This kind of thing happens. When you finish high school you find out exactly who cared about you; they'll be the only ones who return your messages and make an effort to see you (or at least contact you). I know personally I went from having many people I would talk to exactly like you and your proposed sister but the last time we spoke was the day of graduation.
I've been in almost exactly your situation at least three times in the last five years. A falling out with a childhood friend resulting in you trying to make contact and constantly being forgotten.
My advice for you, make sure you know that friendship is a two way street. Invite them to come hang out. If they say yes but can't make it for whatever reason give them another chance and try again. After a second failed attempt leave it at "Now worries, let me know when you want to hang out". Odds are and I'm sorry to say you won't hear back. Focus on the people who do make the effort and that don't see hanging out with you a chore. Make it that easy with people who are willing to make it that easy. They'll be better friends than she is right now.
Also be weary that you aren't giving the cold shoulder to other friends in attempts to not get blown off by this girl. No one likes being the rebound.

Blu·Ray

Manta Ray Pokémon
Years
You can always get anonymous help online. Coming here was a really good choice, PC is a really friendly environment, very little judging characters. This thread is tailored to people like you, who are looking for help. Aside from reassuring you I'm afraid I'm not much help personally.
Just know this, we all support you. You are a part of this community, and people here genuinely care about your wellbeing. Don't burn out just yet, give it a little bit it's going to get easier.

This is so true. Know that if you want to let it all out and tell your story to someone who genuinely wants to listen you can always talk to people here on PC. The people here are nice and understanding, and although most of us have no official competence in dealing with depression, we have lives too (even if it may not seem that way) and we can provide you with humble opinions and incentives ;)

Years
  • Age 51
  • Seen Jul 22, 2016
Not really seeking help, but just wanted to say that after 5 mostly wonderful years, I'm now single as of this morning . It's been a really rough day as my ex broke up with me just this morning. It's going to take a while to get a handle on my emotions.

The thing is, I was expecting it to happen, maybe not right now, but eventually. Like my ex said, we've just been growing apart lately and it's time to move on.

I think it's safest to take it slow on here for a while because I don't want to say something that might offend someone. And if I do, I truly am sorry. My emotions are all out of whack right now. Some of the time I'm crying, other times I just want to throw something, and other times I just don't feel anything at all.

I know eventually I'll meet another guy, but I'm not really looking. I don't want a rebound relationship. Mostly, I just need people to talk to.

Years
Well then Jay, you've come to the right place.
I'm sure you've noticed since you have been here longer than me, but PC is full of people who are friendly, understanding and good to talk to.

Since you aren't explicitly advice-hunting (which may or may not result in me looking like I'm talking to someone invisible), all I'll say is talk to some of us friendly people. I'm always up for a conversation once we find some middle ground in our interests - although I'm for telling you why I'm right too xD

Sushimmi

Transformice <3
Years
I (probably) have social anxiety. It wasn't so bad in primary school, I was short and often teased about it so I was pretty self-conscious ed (WTC spellcheck) about standing in front and getting judged about going the wrong way, etc. When I got into puberty my friend told me I stink, then I started imagining that I was a stink bomb everywhere I go. The stinky part is not that bad now, but it shows it's ugly face every now and then.

Now in secondary, all my friends went into really good schools (I was in the top class) while I went into a neighboring one. Not that bad, I just needed new friends. The first few weeks were all fun and joy, but I was awkward and failed to keep many of them. Going everywhere and doing things alone was miserable. I stopped going for recess because I don't want people to see that I have no friends.

It's funny how my primary school friend always feared of being judged is really friendly and popular in school and I, who always told him to chill and stop thinking so much completely suck at socializing. It's a wonder how we became friends.

But it's not what I wanted to ask for help. Was just throwing it out there. My junior have depression and I don't know what to do. Fresh cuts appears on her body every few weeks and she had a break down once during CCA. Luckily her best friend was there and helped her.

Honestly, I don't want to view her as a person with depression but I don't want to ignore her either. Please give me a rough overview of depression (I couldn't understand a word wikipedia said other than 'sad' 'depression' 'sometimes suicidal') and how to encourage her to come back for choir.
Spoiler:

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Apr 21, 2024
Honestly, I don't want to view her as a person with depression but I don't want to ignore her either. Please give me a rough overview of depression (I couldn't understand a word wikipedia said other than 'sad' 'depression' 'sometimes suicidal') and how to encourage her to come back for choir.

I don't really have any advice for you how to deal with it, because it's not something that you can really deal with or get her out of it. Depression is a very deep wound in someone's psyche, and it requires a lot of work to overcome. Encouragement doesn't really affect it that much, and if you did manage to convince her, she'd probably be very reluctant in it anyway.

Given your social anxiety, this should be easy for you to picture if it's described in the right way, and I'll try my best to do that.

I think the best way to try to understand depression is to try to think to the saddest moment in your life. Combine that with a feeling of unease and uncertainty. Add the tension placed on you to live a happy life and whatever other expectations that are placed on you. Add in whatever other mental issues you have and whatever stress you have in your everyday life that you feel. Your hope is drained and mostly nonexistent. You have an empty feeling, like you're missing something important. You don't enjoy the things that you used to enjoy. You become anxious. You become disinterested in the world and the important things in life, like friends and family.

You have an anchor attached to your heart, and its sinking into your chest.

Now imagine, you come home from a night out with friends. You had a good time with them. It was really enjoyable. You went to a movie, had a few laughs, and went out to eat before calling it a night and going back home. When you get home, there's someone there waiting for you. It's the embodiment of all of those feelings. This person is someone you're familiar with. He's been a "friend" of yours for what seems like your whole life. He likes being around you, but you don't like being around him. Being around him makes you sad. Being around him gives you all of those feelings of hopelessness and dread that I described above.

Now imagine that friend being around you all the time, everywhere, sitting in the corner of the room. When you look at him, those feelings come to you. You try not to look at him, but something draws you toward him when you aren't distracted by something else. And when you are distracted by something else, the urge to look is still present in your mind. You try to fight it, but it becomes overwhelming, and you eventually look.

It's kind of like that. A persistent, overwhelming negative aura that consumes your innermost thoughts. It makes you second guess everything. It makes you look at yourself poorly. It affects your self-esteem, and lowers your self-worth. You start to feel like a burden to those around you, because you don't see any value in yourself, so how could anyone else see any value in you?

kyuubi93

What a bother
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 24, 2018
I was talking to this girl, and she totallyyy screwed me over. I deactivated all my social media because I find social media to be a waste of my time. She took that time to post stuff about another guy she was talking too because she was under the assumption I wouldn't find out due to me having deactivated my account. Buuuut then one day a friend of mine sent me a screenshot of it, and the entire time she had still been talking to me, making me thing she was only talking to me, and that she wants to date and all this other stuff. Then when I find out, everything get's all weird, I drop her and then she comes running righhhhht back. She says she won't do it again but she could easillyyyy do it again if she already did, especially considering she's messed with my trust. I just don't know what to do because I have really strong feelings for her.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back