• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Map Showcase and Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ImBlue

dabbadeedabadai
Years
I agree with tImE, the second map looks much better than the first. Is this a starting town? I don't think I've seen a cave in a starting town before (at least not in a game I've played, there may be in progress games with that feature) so I'm not really used to that, but I suppose that depends on what it's for.

But yeah, good job, especially if you are a new mapper! You give me hope that I can do a good job when I start making serious maps :)

Years
  • Seen Jul 21, 2015
Made a forest thing:
little_forest_by_0_rufus-d6jdi6u.png

I got the tiles from various dA users and mashed them up. I already changed this map, but i'm just too lazy to get a new copy of it and put it here. Like, i fixed the grass, and some mushrooms, and the witch house. Every tile here is from deviantart BESIDES the yellow and red trees. So yeah dawg. I know it's fairly large and empty, but i was really just testing some tiles!

Last edited:

ImBlue

dabbadeedabadai
Years
It seems a bit weird to me that a witch lives in a modern house with glass windows and a mailbox, but I don't know how you changed it since then so I suppose I can't really comment on it fully.

Worldslayer608

ಥдಥ
Years
Made a forest thing:
little_forest_by_0_rufus-d6jdi6u.png

I got the tiles from various dA users and mashed them up. I already changed this map, but i'm just too lazy to get a new copy of it and put it here. Like, i fixed the grass, and some mushrooms, and the witch house. Every tile here is from deviantart BESIDES the yellow and red trees. So yeah dawg. I know it's fairly large and empty, but i was really just testing some tiles!

You have WAY too much open space here. That is my first point of contention.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen May 23, 2018
So I started mapping ...
It's the first village and route of the region.
I'll appreciate any advice on improving the map.

Name

Moémon Master
Years
I see a couple of tile errors along the northern border of the land.
maybe add some more grass, or a few ledges to break up the monotony of the long route.

but overall i really dig this.

Years
  • Seen Jul 21, 2015
I trashed that last forest thing. I really didn't like the way it turned out..
So i made a little mountain side village thing:
mountain_side_village_by_0_rufus-d6jjzmx.png

So yeah dawg.

Wootius

Glah
Years
  • Seen May 31, 2022
I like it Kronos, aside from the lack of connections in the paths. I guess you were trying to make it seem less traveled but the lack of connections just makes it seem empty. Carve out the center bottom forest and have a little park encircled by path, that'd fill the space nicely.

Route 4.

o2ghLKa.png

Cerulean City, I'm not super happy with it.
KsSlkIN.png

Last edited:

Aamelo

Reality Bender.
Years
Haven't posted here in a while but here is my latest map, the first one after I recreated a new DeviantART account. This is the first map where I decided to mix different tileset settings and create a "Almost-Permanent" mapping style. Although I am proud of it, I still feel it is not my best, and I think I failed where the map needs more open space.

greenhill_town_by_jorgeaamelo-d6detcx.png

The map name is "GreenHill Town" (I should really stop getting names from other franchises). My Girlfriend say's she sees a Pikachu on it.
(Credits: ~WesleyFG ~Minorthreat0987 ~Alucus ~EVoLiNa ~The-Red-eX)

Atomic Reactor

My only problem with this map is the paths. The stone tile paths look like they're being covered up by grass. Which is fine, but then it doesn't look like it's an actual path. the tiles just look like random stone spots in the town. If you replace the sand with the stone tiles, then it'll look like one consistent path all through out the town, but with grass growing over it, which would make more sense.

Also, the houses shouldn't be hidden in the trees, I understand not having doors, but they should at least be able to be reached, imo.

Arma

The Hyena
Years
It doesn't really feel like a town to me, Harvey. The houses are too far apart imo, and the diagonal path isn't really good to have, since you'd have to change directions all the time.

I do like the style though, reminds me quite a bit of my own work. It carries a lot of similarities to "Sansavan city", a map that I did a long time ago.
EDIT: Here's the map I meant.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 35
  • UK
  • Seen Apr 1, 2024
Not a pokemon map, just something i'm using to familiarise myself with vx ace

The pie in the map shows as off the table, but in the game its not

Unknown#

'Cause why not?
Years
Here is the first route of my game, with there intentionally being absolutely no tall grass at all!
Spoiler:

Radical Raptr

#BAMFPokemonNerd
Years
Here is the first route of my game, with there intentionally being absolutely no tall grass at all!
Spoiler:
a route without grass is very boring - I'm assuming the player has no pokemon at this point - personally I wouldnt do that, but w/e I think you should try and do something else instead, aside from that the map looks really tight, and boring really - mainly because you're going in 1 direction, theres no means of exploration, its like you're forcing us to go 1 way

Not a pokemon map, just something i'm using to familiarise myself with vx ace

The pie in the map shows as off the table, but in the game its not
I;m not "hip to that jiv" so iunno how VX ACE game maps are constructed, but in pokemon games there is no need to reiterate the fact there is a "top" to the walls, as the blackness does that for you - but it may not be a pokemon game so iunno what you're going for - aside from that the room in the middle, with the little coat looks weird, because of the size of the bookcase and the perspective inwhich we see the map, it looks like the bookcase is on the same level as the "wall top"

Years
  • Age 35
  • UK
  • Seen Apr 1, 2024
I;m not "hip to that jiv" so iunno how VX ACE game maps are constructed, but in pokemon games there is no need to reiterate the fact there is a "top" to the walls, as the blackness does that for you - but it may not be a pokemon game so iunno what you're going for - aside from that the room in the middle, with the little coat looks weird, because of the size of the bookcase and the perspective inwhich we see the map, it looks like the bookcase is on the same level as the "wall top"

VX ACE maps are done really differently compared to XP which i'm used to, theres no map layers as such which threw me at first.
I was using the sample maps that came with VX ACE as a reference and they had the wall top on so I followed suite. I'm not sure how to fix the bookcase issue at the moment

Heres a simple town i've been working on

Radical Raptr

#BAMFPokemonNerd
Years
VX ACE maps are done really differently compared to XP which i'm used to, theres no map layers as such which threw me at first.
I was using the sample maps that came with VX ACE as a reference and they had the wall top on so I followed suite. I'm not sure how to fix the bookcase issue at the moment

that's very interesting, then - as there are no layers it's commendable to see you have created such an illusion of layers - and the layout is nicely spaced for a small town good work - it might help you if you start working on different kinds of maps, such as big, winding maps, or route maps, maybe mountain maps, or even big city maps for practice

Years
  • Seen Oct 18, 2017

Please don't fall into the Water Tile trap. That water tile is used for depth, not for the floor.

Click here to learn how to avoid this.

Ben.

Orange I s l a n d s~
Years
Spoiler:

You really need to fill in the trees to be solid it's hard to tell where you can and can't actually go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back