• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen RYDEL, RYDEL, RYDEL, RYDEL, RYDEL, RYDEL, RYDEL, RYDEL, RYDEL, RYDEL...

Years
What are some quotes from Ruby, Sapphire and Emerald that you found especially funny or memorable? Or any shout outs you may have spotted that you think were clever of them to place in? Because Pokémon games have lots of dialogue, so i'm sure there's something in here that you might have found funny.

So, how about it? What quotes here were you highly amused by? Discuss.

Lycanthropy

[cd=font-family:Special Elite;font-size:16px;color
Years
My absolute favorite are the Team Aqua Grunts (Sapphire/Emerald) or Team Magma Grunts (Ruby) guarding their hideout. It was something like:
Grunt 1: "The boss isn't here. He left to Slateport. What is he doing there? You really think I'd say something that crucial?"
Grunt 2: "The boss isn't here. He went to steal a submarine. Where did he go? You really think I'd say something that crucial?"
And voila, add those and the picture is complete. They say something similar about Mt. Pyre later.

Years
"I just discovered the footprints of a rare Pokemon! Wait until I finish sketching them, okay?"
some time later...
"I finished sketching the footprints of a rare pokémon, but turns out they were only my own footprints..."
- Oldale Twon Researcher

Im not sure, but I think at the time I had no idea what "footprints" meant, so I just figured I was stuck in a game. Took me some time to realize I had to go north to battle May. In case you dont remember, it was the beginning of the game.

Also,
"We hope to see you again!"
-Nurse Joy

Thanks nurse, nice to know >.>

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen May 31, 2015
There was this one guitarist in the game who battled me almost every time I talked to him. "A melody from my Pokemon and me. Let us deliver it to your soul". I like that quote.

Many of the Battle Frontier sayings were pretty hilarious. One of the trainers says "I swallow sludge to transform myself" before you battle him and "I have a growth of suction cups" if you win. Another one says "I will beat up my surf board" when he loses.

When I was little, I got a kick out of abusing the easy chat system to make NPCs say weird stuff.
pokemon-hh-2.png

like making the whole town of Dewford seem like a bunch of drug addicts.

KittiOcelotti

"Smell ya later!"
Years
"I just discovered the footprints of a rare Pokemon! Wait until I finish sketching them, okay?"
some time later...
"I finished sketching the footprints of a rare pokémon, but turns out they were only my own footprints..."
- Oldale Town Researcher

"Where did you come from?

-Yes
-No"
-Brain damaged npc

"Technology is incredible."
-Fat Dude

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
I always found it funny and a bit touching how insecure Flannery was when she greeted her challenger :3

Years
Oh yeah, I remember that guy in Pacifidlog who asks where you came from and you can only answer Yes or No. "Yes Town?" or "You had to have come from somewhere..." Those were funny.

AquaMarine8

One less, one less problem~
Years
"Like in deep sea fishing, I lost spectacularly!" -fisherman xD

So funny. I love that they included that in the new games, I always remembered that for some reason.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Feb 4, 2016
The Team Magma grunt in Mt. Chimney saying "My left ear is burning up!" has always cracked me up. Since, y'know, he's standing right next to lava. I don't know why I find it hilarious... I just do.
Although I have to admit the more amusing quotes are provided by the NPCs in the battle tents and in the Battle Frontier.

FWx8RFW.png
9ImNxOh.png

Circuit

[cd=font-weight: bold; font-style: italic; backgro
Years
I always liked Flannery's insecurity when you challenged her gym. But I remember the Team Aqua grunt training the Wailmer outside Lilycove.

"Now Wailmer, use Splash!" Or something along those lines. It always made me chuckle as a kid, because splash does nothing lol
And of course...

RYDEL RYDEL RYDEL RYDEL RYDEL RYDEL RYDEL RYDEL RYDEL RYDEL RYDEL....

Starry Windy

Everything will be Daijoubu.
Years
There is this line by Mr. Briney, which is edited out in the ORAS, where he was shouting for Peeko when it was bird-napped by either Team Aqua or Team Magma (depending on the version).

Wrrrooooooaaaar! Peeko!

And the "Yes Town" man in Pacifidlog Town qualifies as well.

And I have another one, when one of the Lass near Rustboro City was thinking of something like this: "Should I, or shouldn't I... sure, I will battle!"

Last edited:

Apollo

怖がらないで
Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Jul 22, 2017
Oh - I love the "RYDEL RYDEL RYDEL" line. I remember posting it as a comment on a Youtube video playing the music that plays when you ride your bike in RSE. It reached top comment for a few days, and I was really proud of that. x) Some other quotes that come to mind are the footprint thing the guy in Oldale says, the other girl in Oldale who talks about saving the game and Winona's quote before you battle her. While I can't say they're funny, but they're definitely the most memorable to me. :)

Years
I definitely remember this quote, it's memorable and gave me a good laugh, even years later. I was not a fan that you constantly had to go back to Rydel to change bikes though.

Back