• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Haruka Fan Club!

Cynic Kaka

Credentials.
Years
May is a young Pokémon Coordinator who loves shopping and eating treats. She has a particular fondness for food, especially noodles. May is generally very sweet and optimistic, though she shows a tougher side sometimes, such as when she argues with her little brother, Max. Even though they argue often, she has shown that she deeply cares for her brother.
May as she appeared during the Advanced Generation seriesShe loves cute Pokémon and flashy techniques, and sometimes takes an interest in helping other people with romantic problems. She loves making her own Pokéblocks with recipes that she thinks up, including ones called "May's Purple Surprise" and "May's Pink Surprise" (Japanese: Haruka's Delicious and Haruka's Delicious 2).

When May debuted in the anime, she did not like Pokémon at all and was only interested in becoming a Pokémon Trainer so she could travel. Everyone expected her to become a trainer, to follow in her Gym Leader father's footsteps. However, after seeing a Pokémon Contest in All Things Bright and Beautifly!, she decided to become a Pokémon Coordinator. Though she was initially shown to not know much about Pokémon or attacks, she gradually gained experience through her journey and soon became a talented coordinator, with her skill being displayed in her Grand Festival rankings in the Hoenn and Kanto regions. May is sometimes dubbed as the "Princess of Hoenn", which was what Dawn reffered to her as when they met.

During her journey, she gets a new rival in Drew, a skilled and sometimes arrogant boy who was one of her main inspirations to try harder to become a great coordinator. She also has another main rival in Harley, a flamboyant man who goes to extremes to beat May. At the end of the Advanced Generation series, she leaves to compete with Drew and Harley in the Johto region. May also seems sensitive to the idea of she and Drew being a couple as shown in Hi Ho Silver Wind! as well as later episodes. May has Contest Passes to compete in Hoenn, Kanto and Johto.

May reappeared from Our Cup Runneth Over! to Strategy With a Smile! to participate in the Wallace Cup alongside Ash, Dawn and Zoey. During this period, she wore the Emerald Version of her outfit. May made it all the way to the finals of the Wallace Cup, but narrowly lost to Dawn in the end.

May has a personal ending theme song, I won't lose! ~May's theme~, performed by KAORI. It was first used as background music in the episode Curbing the Crimson Tide and again in next episode, What I Did for Love.

This listing is of May's Pokémon as of her guest appearence in Sinnoh:

→ →

Torchic → Combusken → Blaziken
→ →
Egg → Eevee → Glaceon
→ →
Wurmple → Silcoon → Beautifly → →
Bulbasaur → Ivysaur → Venusaur

Squirtle → Wartortle
Munchlax
Skitty

Borrowed
Hitmonchan
Borrowed from Kyle Hamm in Pasta La Vista.

Hoenn ribbons
Fallarbor Town Ribbon
Verdanturf Town Ribbon
Lilycove City Ribbon
Izabe Island Ribbon
Pacifidlog Island Ribbon
May, Bulbasaur and the Izabe Ribbon
May, Skitty and the Pacifidlog Ribbon

Kanto ribbons
Saffron City Ribbon
Silver Town Ribbon
Chrysanthemum Island Ribbon
Gardenia Town Ribbon
Mulberry Town Ribbon
Johto ribbons

May's Johto ribbons.Three (Contest locations unknown)

Grand Festival ranking
May placed in the following Grand Festival competitions:

Hoenn Grand Festival (Top 8)
Kanto Grand Festival (Top 4)

Other achievements
PokéRinger - Runner-up
Pokémon Orienteering - Runner-up
Unofficial Terracotta Contest - Winner (tied with Ash)
Wallace Cup - Runner-up

May was the first female video game protagonist to travel with Ash.
May is the only main character who has two of the same Pokémon as Ash.
She is the only one of Ash's friends to catch more than one starter Pokémon.
She is the only one of Ash's friends who started off not liking Pokémon.
She is the only beginner trainer that was not given an introduction by the Narrator in their first episode. Instead, she gave her own first person introduction.
May was the second of Ash's friends to have a lead role in a Pokémon movie, the first being her brother Max.
May and Max are the only friends of Ash not to meet Ash's rival, Gary Oak, at one time or another. Ironically, May took one of Professor Oak's Squirtle, just as Gary had done when he started out. Also they both ended up getting an Eevee along their journeys and evolving it into an Eeveelution that would debut in the next generation that they premiered in.
May and Max are two of three of Ash's friends who has had their father make an appearance in the anime. The other is Brock.
When May reappears as a guest character, she appeared in five episodes, compared to the two episodes Misty appeared in for her guest appearance during the Hoenn saga. However, Misty also made a second guest appearance from The Scheme Team to A Real Cleffa Hanger, a further three episodes. Misty also appeared in four Pokémon Sunday/Chronicles specials, an option not available to May.
Strangely, like Ash has, May owns three Pokémon that have evolved twice. Two of them are starters from Kanto and Hoenn (Ash's Charizard and Sceptile, May's Blaziken and Venusaur), while the third is their native region's butterfly (Ash's Butterfree, May's Beautifly).
The only Pokémon that she has that remained unevolved are Munchlax and Skitty. Coincidentally, both are Normal-type, and each would only need to evolve once to reach their final stage.
May is the only one of Ash's friends that has never owned a Generation II Pokémon (except her brother Max, for obvious reasons).
Names
Language Name Origin
Japanese ハルカ Haruka Contains haru, which means "spring." Haruka also means "far away," which may relate it to Norman's Japanese name, Senri ("1000 li").
English May Could be a reference to her Japanese name, as May is a month in spring.
French Flora Similar to leur, which means "flower".
Germanf Maike From Mai, which means "May".
Italian Vera From primavera, which means "spring".
Spanish Aura Means "dawn". Ironically, Dawn's Spanish name, Maya, sounds similar to "May".
Korean 봄이 Bom'i 봄 means "spring"
Chinese (all versions) 小遥 Xiǎo Yáo From 遥 haruka, far away.

Rules: No Spamming, no cursing, and no flaming.

Members:

ArcticGlaceon-Leader
Vampy-Chan
PorygonSquared
-
-
-
-
-

Last edited:

PorygonSquared

He's Supposed To Be Dead!!!
Years
Could you modify Haruka's misspelled name in the topic? I'm just a grammar freak that way. And of course, she's my favourite human Pokemon character.

Anyways, so which Mk. is this club on now? Oh, well. I'd love to join in an attempt to prevent this club from yet another decay and regeneration.

But in all seriousness, I like how May distinguished herself by playing an active role in the anime rather than staying as a side character like most females in shonen anime, or at least from what I've watched. Even though she's gone, she still paved the way for Dawn to have an even bigger role. Don't think I'm a feminist for saying this (I support the idea, but I staunchly believe males cannot be feminist), but I just think it makes for better storytelling if the females have bigger roles.
And of course, her awesome personality and character development helps too. I like how she can be so determined and yet maintain a kind heart as the core of her personality.

PorygonSquared

He's Supposed To Be Dead!!!
Years
I don't really mind Dawn. Brock, on the other hand, is a different story. I'm still upset that they ditched such an important character like May and yet they kept Brock, who is practically deadweight now, on the cast.

Back