• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon you like more than their evolved form

outfox

in
Years
  • Seen Feb 25, 2013
I finally let Mijumaru evolve and I regret it every day. :( Weepinbell, Gulpin, Mime Jr., Poliwag, and Tympole also get to hold everstones if they get into my ~exclusive~ party.

TrainerTori

Growlithe Fan
Years
Growlithe > Archanine (obviously)
Piplup > evolutions
Togetic > Togekiss
Luxio > luxray (sometimes, I'm on the fence - I REALLY don't like luxray's red eyes, but I love everything else)

There are probably a lot more, but those are the few coming to mind right now...

~Glacia~Frost~

~Ice-type Trainer~
Years
  • Seen May 18, 2013
I can't really think of any Pokémon I prefer over their evolved forms except under specific circumstances:

Porygon2 > Porygon-Z : P2 has stronger defenses than P-Z even without Eviolite and still has decent Special Attack to work as a tank while P-Z can use Agility to sweep and Nasty Plot to boost its already strong Special Attack

Dusclops > Dusknoir : Also uses Eviolite well, having very strong defensive stats, however Dusknoir does have stronger attack strength though it may be outclassed by other Ghosts for a spinblocker

Lillipup > Herdier < Stoutland : I find Pickup slaves more useful than HM slaves in BW and B2W2; however, Stoutland can be a strong attacker with boosted Speed in a Sandstorm, making it a good revenge killer especially with Retaliate

Female Nidoran > Nidorina, Nidoqueen : Nidoran can breed while Nidorina and Nidoqueen cannot though I can't see why they would be unable to breed while Nidoran can breed; of course, Nidoqueen can be a valuable Pokémon in battles, resisting Fighting and Rock attacks and its STAB Earthquake is sure to set straight a variety of opponent Pokémon

Other than these I usually will prefer an evolved form over the non-evolved form :)

pikakitten

You met with a terrible fate
Years
Piplup > Evolutions
Togetic > Togekiss
Porygon2 > Porygon-Z
Lillipup > Evolutions
Pikachu > Raichu (It depends on the game though, idk why xD)
and alot more don't make me keep going xD

GhastlyGastly

Crazy Pokémon Lady
Years
Magmar > Magmortar
I remember the episode of the anime, 'Volcanic Panic', where Blaine of Cinnabar Island unleashed his badass of a Magmar. Ever since, as much as I do like Magby and Magmortar, I've always loved Magmar the most; in fact I almost wish that Magmar had remained an evolutionless Pokémon.

Misdreavus > Mismagius
Ever since I first saw Misdreavus at Mt. Silver, back when I got Pokémon Crystal, I've loved it. I'm a huge fan of Ghost-type Pokémon in general, but along with Shuppet/Banette and the Gastly/Haunter/Gengar lineage, Misdreavus remains a particular favorite. I recall being quite excited when I first heard the announcement that there would be an evolution for Misdreavus in Generation IV; alas, I was rather disappointed with Mismagius. Not that I don't like Mismagius, I do, but it just doesn't compare with Misdreavus in my mind.

Drowzee > Hypno
I'm not precisely sure why... I do recall that I thought that Drowzee sounded like a telepathic pimp in the anime, and actually had some amazing powers (e.g., the episode where a Drowzee is actually able to somehow control the minds of every single Pokémon on the island it was on); whereas Hypno just sort of sat around swinging its pendulum like a retard, repeating 'Hypno' in a bland, monotonous voice. Plus... I've never really understood what Hypno is based off of. I mean, obviously it's based off of the mentalist hypnosis trick with the pendulum, but why is he bright yellow with a white ruff and a big nose? It doesn't make much sense to me. In contrast, Drowzee is based off of a tapir, specifically, the baku, or dream-eating supernatural tapir of Japanese folklore. Which is cooler2.

Porygon & Porygon2 > Porygon-Z
No particular reasoning behind this one I suppose... I just don't like Porygon-Z as much as its preevolutions.

Dragonair > Dragonite
I've always liked the sort of elegant, majestic look of Dragonair, as opposed to the, frankly, chubby-tubby look of Dragonite. Don't get me wrong, I like Dragonite, a lot. I've simply always preferred Dragonair. It's more... mysterious. It has more of a feeling of mystery, of sleekness, majesty, elegance; I like that in a dragon. For this reason, Dragonair is one of the few Dragon-type Pokémon that really satisfies me (Flygon being a rare example of another).

rageahollic33

Roserade is the best
Years
Clefairy > Clefable

Weedle > Kakuna

Pidgeotto > pidgeot

Drowsy > hypno

Bayleaf > Meganium

Larvitar > pupitar

Marill > azumarill

loudred > exploud

Bagon > shelgon

baltoy > claydol

monferno > infernape

Buneary > lopunny

Oshowott >dewott

Frillish > jelecent

sandile > krokorok

Years
  • Seen Jul 5, 2013
Ivysaur > Venusaur
Dont get me wrong. I liked my bulbasaur (even though my first starter ever was a Shiggy)
But DAMN is Venusaur ugly. I know certain people who'd say its awesome and indeed it is (in Gen I in which it is the best starter)
Bulbasaur was the worse choice of starters in gen 1 lol.

Psyduck > Golduck Always loved psyduck, where as golduck looks like a ****

Pikachu > Raichu Pikachu is so much cooler and seems smarter.

Rhydon > Rhyperior Rhydon since gen 1 has always been one of my favourite looking pokemon

Growlithe > Arcanine Don't get my wrong I love Arcanine, but growlithe is one of my top 3 pokemon :P

Spearow > Fearow I don't really "like" spearow, but hes ok, where as fearow to me is just an ugly ****.

Years
  • Seen May 19, 2014
I liked Geodude better than Graveller and Roggenrola better than Boldore. Not too many more, though.

Treecko

the princess without voice
Years
I have a few that I can think of right now

Poliwhirl> Poliwrath and Politoad -Mostly sentimental reason cause I have a Poliwhirl plush that's been with me for forever. Plus Politoad just doesn't make sense to evolve from Poliwhirl. Still cool though.
Treecko> Grovyle and Sceptile - My favorite Pokemon and honestly think Treecko is cooler and cuter. I like Grovyle and Sceptile too, but prefer Treecko.
Trubbish > Garbardor - Trubbish is kind of cute but honestly Garbordor is pretty ugly.
Oshawott, Dewott >Samurott- Both Oshawott and Dewott are pretty cute but Samurott isn't really cute but I still think it's sort of cool.
Joltik > Galvantula - Joltik is so adorable but then in it evolves into Galavantula which isn't really. Don't me me wrong, I still love Galvantula, it's just not adorable.
Marill and Azurill> Azumarill
Smoochum> Jynx- Don't get me started on Jynx. It's just weird-looking. But Smoochum is really cute.

Pikachu > Raichu - Ever since I was little I always preferred Pikachu over Raichu. This is probably because of the anime and how Ash always had Pikachu and refused to evolved it. So just felt wrong to evolve Pikachu in the games so I never did and still haven't ever evolved a Pikachu yet. So it's mainly cause of nostalgic reasons. Plus it's the franchises mascot. And it's much cuter than Raichu.
Rhydon > Rhyperior -While I do really like Rhyperior, it's weird how it goes from simple looking to being overdesigned with a bunch of rocks/armor. And it looks nothing like it's former stages.
Glameow > Purugly - Glameow is all cute and then evolves into that, well, "ugly" thing? And how does it get all that extra weight?
Lilipup/Herdier> Stoutland - Lilipup is adorable. And I like Herdier but then it evolves into that big fat thing. Stoutland's cool though like Glameow it's weird how fat it gets.
Machop/Machoke > Machamp- Machop is kind of cute and Machoke's cool but Machop has those weird extra arms and I feel it's an unessacary evolution.

There's lots more but that's all I can think of.

Years
  • Seen Aug 14, 2013
Treecko > Sceptile
Treecko looks pretty cool, and Sceptile is pretty cool also
but Treecko looks better :3.
Snivy > Serperior
You see, Snivy looks pretty over-confident
and Serperior isn't that nice also :/.
Pikachu > Raichu
Nostalgia much xD.

Caelus

Gone
Years
  • Seen May 26, 2013
With pokemon that have 3 stages I like most 1st stage Pokemon over their 2nd stage.

With Pokemon that have two stages:

Pikachu over Raichu
Nosepass over Probopass
Glameow over Purugly

Years
  • Seen Oct 2, 2020
I have lots of those, particularly with the middle ones from three-stage evolutions, but sometimes the first of either two or three.

A few of the stand-outs to me:

Gothorita>Gothitelle
Grovyle>Sceptile
Graveler>Golem
Ivysaur>Venusaur
Dewott>Samurott
Vibrava>Flygon
Nuzleaf>Shiftry
Vigoroth>Slaking
Aipom>Ambipom
Scyther>Scizor
Numel>Camerupt

Mortalis

[css-div="background-color:#4e9dda;text-align:cent
Years
Snivy > Serperior
I liked the smug, confident look Snivy had. Serperior just feels angry and depressed. He ain't got no legs.

Wartortle > Blastoise
Don't get me wrong; I love Blastoise. However, I love Wartortle's design.

Pichu > Pikachu
Pichu is just cute and small and really fun to use. Pikachu is great and all but he's the face of Pokémon, so he gets a little dull after a while.

Graveler > Golem
Graveler looked so cool; four arms, a cocky look on his face, a nice grey colour scheme. Then along comes Golem, a brown ball of what looks like dried up mud and some weird dinosaur face. Meh.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Aug 21, 2021
Numel > Camerupt

Numel is one of my favourite pokemon, I do love Camerupt but I feel sad whenever I know Numel must evolve into Camerupt in order to stay strong.

Gulpin > Swalot

Gulpin is just great and I love how he looks. Swalot just isn't as good in my eyes.

Roselia > Roserade

I love Roserade, so it says something that I still prefer Roselia....but I just do. Roselia would be in my top 10 favourite pokemon. I'm not as sad about evolving Roselia as I am with Camerupt, because Roserade is great too.

Surskit > Masquerain

I wish it would have kept it's Bug/Water typing. To go from such a unique typing to a bog standard typing that's everywhere is just tragic.

Most starters > Mid forms

I like most of the starters more than I do their evolved forms, with a couple exceptions.

Aipom > Ambipom
Yanma > Yanmega
Phanpy > Donphan
Makuhita > Hariyama
Nosepass > Probopass
Spoink > Grumpig
Corphish > Crawdaunt

I could probably go on further but I won't.

Last edited:

dragonfly_dust

Look at my avatar! Nuff said.
Years
  • Seen Feb 18, 2017
Gonna go by generation.

1st gen: Wartortle > Blastoise. Why did it have to lose its adorable tail?!
2nd gen: Wooper > Quagsire. Once again, cute turned ugly!
3rd gen: Torchic > Its Evolution Line. Potential lost...
4th gen: Togetic > Togekiss. NO! Togetic should have turned into a dragon! NOT THAT!
5th gen: Zweilous > Hydreigon. Just because...

Years
  • Seen Oct 2, 2020
Numel > Camerupt

Numel is one of my favourite pokemon, I do love Camerupt but I feel sad whenever I know Numel must evolve into Camerupt in order to stay strong.

Roselia > Roserade

I love Roserade, so it says something that I still prefer Roselia....but I just do. Roselia would be in my top 10 favourite pokemon. I'm not as sad about evolving Roselia as I am with Camerupt, because Roserade is great too.

Surskit > Masquerain

I wish it would have kept it's Bug/Water typing. To go from such a unique typing to a bog standard typing that's everywhere is just tragic.
I just wanted to note that I agree with these 100% - not just the opinions, but the reasoning. I like Camerupt - I just like Numel better. And I love Roserade, but Roselia's been one of my favorites ever since the first time I used one in Sapphire, so it's sort of sad to see it go (and it doesn't help any that its animated sprite in BW2 is so friggin' cute), and Surskit has an awesome unique typing and it's such a shame that it loses it. I like Masquerain okay anyway, but it'd be SO much better if it kept the typing.

Back