• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Roleplay Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years
@TornZero: ...o_o More like a Swablu. Dodrios are pretty dang strong yo. =o I guess that's a... fair attack to compare it too though.
Even if you were to disregard everything I just said, it'd be closer to that of a Horn Drill, but a more accurate and less lethal one, I'd say about the size and piercing power of a Rhyhorn's horn (to simulate the spinning of the gun that allow it to accelerate farther and pierce deeper). From a logical standpoint, that is.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Feb 18, 2013
@Yellow You make a very valid argument, but I do want to point out that according to some writers Superman and his ability to fly are not actually based off of a 'Flight Superpower' but self-effecting telekinesis (he's telekinetic, but can only move himself in this way). Arguably this could counter Gardevoir's own telekinesis.

Dawn

[span="font-size:180%;font-weight:900;color:#a568f
Years
@Machomuu: ...Okay, so... you're implying...

>Game Freak has gotten less mature over the years.
>Extremespeed is a misleading attack name.
>A 400+ pound object traveling at the same velocity as a less than 1 pound object will do less harm on impact.
>The process of raising a living creature, a pokemon, is much more cost efficient than paying for a gun.
>You should get a game over screen when you lose to a criminal.
>Criminals have never implied they're going to hurt, take you prisoner, or kill you.
>Yugioh and Pokemon are remotely similar settings and at all comparable.
>Pokemon is NO LOGIC HERP DERP DO WHATEER WANT NOBODY CARES LOLZ
>Pokemon breaks the fourth wall constantly.

But let me raise the question back to you, why is Extreme Speed not so lethal? I'd say it's because it's a game, and while that may sound shallow, GF has shown time and again that they care little about what a move is outside of battle, even if they reference things that may or may not exist in Pokemon canon, it's one of the many reasons that I fell out of love with the game.

It sounds shallow because it kind of... /is/. At the risk of coming off as rude: I get the impression /you/ don't care. You've done little to no research. You do not seem to actually /want/ to make sense of the games. It seems to me that you'd rather sit back and pretend it doesn't make sense because it feeds into this game based off of Pokemon you have in your head where guns suddenly make sense and humans can become Spartacus. The thing about that is... Believe it or not I roleplay Pokemon because I love the world Game Freak has created for us and am not the only person who does this... If you don't love the series, that's dandy. But you shouldn't act like others should be expected to conform to your ideals of what Pokemon should be instead of what it demonstrably is. Your review of the series is not objective, and in fact a couple of those opinions are, to my knowledge, hilariously unpopular. (I'm eyeing the notion that Game Freak has gotten less mature over the years.)

So with all due respect, if you're not going to take this seriously... I'm going to suggest we move on.

Oh and... physics. It kind of doesn't... work that way. We use small bullets because it's easier to accelerate them to a certain velocity. A much heavier object moving at that same velocity will in fact be deadlier, but will be very difficult to get to that velocity in comparison. I mean honestly! Exactly how good do you think it would feel to get hit by like... a /piano/ moving at bullet speed? It's called blunt force trauma and it's just as serious and potentially fatal an injury as penetrating trauma.

@Manson1996: You can find new RPs by checking the Check to See if Your Roleplay has been Accepted (v.2) thread
Older RPs that are still accepting members will have to advertise directly, or you can browse through the RPs on the first page of the RPC yourself.

Speaking of which, I own 2 RPs that are still accepting members.

The Pokemon Trainer Academy - A (T)een RP where young upcoming trainers are sent to an island pokemon academy run by some of the most famous, and skilled trainers alive where they are meant to learn to fulfill their full potential. (With the secret intention of using this potential to thwart the distant threat of a massive attack from Team Rocket.) This RP focuses mostly on character interaction with a fair amount of flexibility for mini-plots.

Pokemon Fallout - A (M)ature RP set in a dystopian future taking place after Pokemon Black and White. A memetic virus has ultimately caused Pokemon to ceased to exist, causing the downfall of humanity. The remains of humanity have stabilized however, and Pokemon have been returned in the form of spirits that fuse with humans, turning them into hybrids. This RP is an extreme sandbox. Whether you focus on character interaction, or jump straight at trying to change the world is up to you. There is no leveling system and there are no real consequences for flinging yourself at a goal right off the bat as opposed to later on, though some things are a terrible idea to attempt alone.

Last edited:

Vato

This Is Our Last Goodbye
Years
So, I'm planning to submit yet another RP, but I first want to see if there's actually some interest in it :3

The RP is set in one of many schools that teach people how to use magic, canalizing it in objects like swords, bows, spears and, of course, wands. There's an equal amount of techniques that can be learned with each weapon.

The school in which the RP will be set most of the time is named as The Tintina-Dawson Academy of Magic, located in Tintina Trench, a small mountain range next to Dawson City in Canada. The RPers will play as characters that performed one of many magic techniques in their hometown, not knowing they cold do such thing, of course, they then recieve a letter the next day from the headmaster, inviting them to join the academy, which they of course accept.

The school is protcted by quite a handful of spells that prevent those who aren't attending it to see it or reach it. There's also quite a handful of places around to explore, such as forests and rivers, Dawson City can also be explored in special occations, too.

I still have to come up with the layout for the school, so yeah...

Anyways, plot-wise, there's always been some monsters here and there around these schools, all of them completely harmless, but recently there's been a mass outbreak of these monsters, and they're attacking everything that moves, at the same time, students are dissapearing from these supposedly-safe schools.

So basically it'll be about students studing in this school as the threat baehind all this happening reveals itself, meaning it'll be sandbox-ish at several parts, while also following a set plot :)

And yes, I know it resembles Harry Potter at ceratin parts, but that doesn't mean it won't be original...
So, any of you interested?

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years
This is what I said originally, but there's no need to continue it here (or at all, really):
Spoiler:

Yellow (or anyone), if you wish to continue with it, post it in the main forum; it's not really something I feel like discussing any further because I can see exactly where it'd go. I'm sure people on both sides would rally forth for discussion, and I'm sure there are others on the forum that are better at things like physics than I am. Either way, it can't stay here.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Regarding the Magi Academy, I'd probably be interested once I see the OOC, it seems like an idea with a lot of potential.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 31
  • AU
  • Seen Feb 18, 2023
Yo chumps. Try keep the talking to roleplaying and not about discussions about pokemon in general, a'ight?

Satan.EXE

King of the Hell
Years
  • Age 29
  • C:\
  • Seen Jun 12, 2015
Yo chumps. Try keep the talking to roleplaying and not about discussions about pokemon in general, a'ight?

To be fair, it was relevant to roleplaying in a sense... A lot of this is determining what is right and wrong when roleplaying with pokemon.

Knowing my old track record with arguments in the RPDT... I'm gonna stay out of it.

Dawn

Years
@WolfOfEve: It ended. But you're right. It was a discussion about Pokemon as a setting for a theoretical roleplay and what sort of limitations this should imply. My guess is that I'm not the only one who got a headache reading the actual discussion.

Anyway--Someone else actually asked me this, so I'm going to go ahead and directly bring up canonity and it's relevance to roleplay. When you make a Pokemon roleplay, or an X-men roleplay, or any other roleplay based off a pre-existing franchise, it is exceedingly important that you maintain some semblance to the source material when writing said RP.

This is because if someone comes in looking for a Harry Potter RP, chances are they aren't going to be impressed by how little the RP actually resembles the source material.

Now, I'm not saying an RP should be exactly like the source material, but rather, one should avoid contradicting the source material. See, you can work through the source material and do whatever you want, or you can work /around/ it and still do just about whatever you want. I find that the latter encourages one to be less crude which tends to result in higher quality writing. There's also the fact that some people will be disappointed if they see an RP disrespecting the source material.

Needless to say, I consider it a good writing practice.

Mr. Mammoth

One cool snowman
Years
Why hello there people! It's your good friend Mr. Mammoth, here to bring you your daily dose of "How to Break Physics"! In today's episode we'll be working on how to prop a giant fan on your boat to gener-

Okay, that's not why I'm here. I'm here for a much less fun thing, shameless advertizing. It happens to be so that my own, neatly crafted RP Skies of Fruition have had a slight loss of players which means that if anyone is interested, they can join right up! Assuming that they make a good SU that is. Now what is this Skies of Fruition? Well, the answer is simple;

It is a Journey-RP set in a future Orre where the whole region isn't a barren wasteland anymore. It now features Gyms and even a Pokémon Leauge which people are free to challenge! And also some... Shady Individuals snooping around for extra thrilling elements.

Sounds interesting? Well terrific! The RP hasn't come very far either, we're only at One-and-a-half chapters, so cathcing up with everyone else should be no problem at all! You can find a link to the OOC in my signature where it says "My RP: Skies of Fruition", shouldn't be too hard, right?

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
Years
Hey guys! I know I haven't been roleplaying all week, and I apologize. Skymin, Raikiri and I have a Roleplay event going on at the PCX Get Together right now, and it'd be awesome for you to like... totally join! There are emblems as prizes, and whether you are a beginner RPer or Advanced, everyone's welcome!

I should be back to roleplaying next week, once I'm done with all this! :D

Satan.EXE

King of the Hell
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jun 12, 2015
Roleplay Extravaganza!

Two Advertisements for those looking for interesting roleplays. Click a title and you will be linked directly to the Roleplay's OOC thread!

I've just recently revived my (somehow popular) Roleplay about the two clashing families in Ancient Johto. This roleplay is different in the fact that Each human character has a Pokemon Counterpart, as they are all linked to each other. There are currently six open spots, and the Roleplay is reaching a point where everyone can join in at once.

Combining a popular Game Series with a completely original and unique storyline, Zelda: Dimensional Link is a small tight-knit RP that has yet to begin. Excluding my own part, there are four player spots, two of which are specially reserved for specific players. The other two spots are available. However, the Sign-Up process is different here. I'm currently letting in sign-ups for anyone who wants to join, and when the time comes, I'll pick the group that I find will hold the greatest potential in the RP. Be warned, however. This is an RP that will require great loyalty from the players.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years
Hey guys! I know I haven't been roleplaying all week, and I apologize. Skymin, Raikiri and I have a Roleplay event going on at the PCX Get Together right now, and it'd be awesome for you to like... totally join! There are emblems as prizes, and whether you are a beginner RPer or Advanced, everyone's welcome!

That sounds interesting, and from the looks of it, it is. I'm really considering participating.

Karma Police

Arrest this man
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Apr 21, 2024

Okay, so just a few thoughts I have about these events.

What I feel is that we are having a bit too many Roleplaying events nowadays. First we had the RPOs then this. This causes two problems in my opinion, one, that these events take up time from one's schedule, which leads to the actual RPs getting inactive. Two, people will lose interest in these events due to excessive amounts of these contests.

While I do have to say, I found this event a lot better than the RPOs concept-wise. RPOs were more of a lit writing fest, this is more RPing in the general sense, even though I still would have preferred something else. For me, RPs aren't just about playing a single character, it's also about your interaction with other players. It's the unpredictability of what your rival/teammate/fellow RPer might do.

The idea that I have in mind is sort of risky, though. Why not make it something like this: The RPers are actually a team of bounty hunters/adventurers, who are trying to take down a single large beast or something. Play a bit with that concept. But, something like that, and the judging can be based upon creativity, total post length, activity, etc. Again the major risk I see here is the dependence on other players.

Also I suggest merging the RPOs with this GT event, and posting the RPOs in the GT instead, since the GT reaches out to a wider part of the forum than the RPOs. That's my two cents on the whole topic.

@heretostay: Whoa dude, you're in 15 RPs?! How do you handle so many at once? d:

{Swan}

I Never Asked For This.
Years
I have a roleplay that's in need of some shameless advertising, so shamelessly advertise I shall!

<url=http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=288782> A Game of Luck</url> is a roleplay modelled after the crazy dice nuzlocke style. For those whp don't know what that is, it's playing a Pokemon game, in this place roleplay, with the assumption that when your pokemon faints, they die. Add to that the razy dice, meaning randomized evens, and let the craziness begin!

A Game Of Luck is a chapter-based journey roleplay set in future Hoenn in an alternative Pokemon world where the casualtis of Pokemon battle are accepted as an inevitable fact, someing that nothing is wrong with. Well, to most of the populace. A. New way of thinking, originated in Unova, that pokemon shouldn't be made to suffer just because of the whim of humans. The roleplay sts your character in the middle of things, where they will be confronted with questions of morality, and whose side to take.

Interested? Follow the link and find out more!

/carsaleswomam OUT!

Dawn

Years
While I do have to say, I found this event a lot better than the RPOs concept-wise. RPOs were more of a lit writing fest, this is more RPing in the general sense, even though I still would have preferred something else. For me, RPs aren't just about playing a single character, it's also about your interaction with other players. It's the unpredictability of what your rival/teammate/fellow RPer might do.

I'm not sure I've ever agreed with anything you've said quite as much as I agree with this. Here's my thoughts as to how we could better handle the events. I'll leave the issue with frequency alone, since I don't disagree with you but honestly don't know what I think on the matter either currently.

So. What if the entire events were rebuilt for 'teams' instead of individual people? People apply, and are then sorted into the teams by the oversears of the event. (Possibly randomly, or possibly by other factors depending on the event.)

They are then asked to supply a character for a certain genre or under certain restrictions (So that Goku and Anne Frank don't wind up fighting Super Hitler.) and interact as a /group/ with a certain scene. Judging would be based on cooperation. Judges would need to keep their eye out for any isues that arise or a feeling of boredness or apathy from any of the roleplayers. After all. In roleplay, someone just reading from a distance isn't who ultimately matters. It's the enjoyment of your fellow RPer.

That'd be the primary judging area. If you can't properly entertain your fellow roleplayers and/or handle problems optimally, bam. You've got a good chance of having lost right off the bat. The second category would be actual writing quality. I don't think I need to say anything more about that, other than INB4 "Writing quality is more important than entertaining one's fellow roleplayers and/or having a good attitude!"

BASICALLY? What I'm suggesting is creating a very short term actual roleplay meant to facilitate the opportunity to judge the players.

...Oooor we could just... y'know, judge based on the RPs we already have and--Oh. Wait that'd be the RPAs.

But in all honesty, it doesn't make a /huge/ difference between whether it's an event RP or RPs that have already been made, main difference being accessibility. Already made RPs are accessible to everyone no matter what, and an event RP requires a new RP but gets people more involved. It's a choice one has to make depending on what they want, and I honestly suspect that people may prefer to have an event specific RP as opposed to what amounts to returning the RPAs.

Last edited:

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years
Okay, so just a few thoughts I have about these events.

What I feel is that we are having a bit too many Roleplaying events nowadays. First we had the RPOs then this. This causes two problems in my opinion, one, that these events take up time from one's schedule, which leads to the actual RPs getting inactive. Two, people will lose interest in these events due to excessive amounts of these contests.

The idea that I have in mind is sort of risky, though. Why not make it something like this: The RPers are actually a team of bounty hunters/adventurers, who are trying to take down a single large beast or something. Play a bit with that concept. But, something like that, and the judging can be based upon creativity, total post length, activity, etc. Again the major risk I see here is the dependence on other players.

Also I suggest merging the RPOs with this GT event, and posting the RPOs in the GT instead, since the GT reaches out to a wider part of the forum than the RPOs. That's my two cents on the whole topic.

@heretostay: Whoa dude, you're in 15 RPs?! How do you handle so many at once? d:
The amount of time in between is unlikely to be a problem in the future, specifically because in this case (being this year) one of the events has to occur when it does (the PCX event), while the other wasn't based upon the date that it was planned, and could really happen whenever. It was inevitable that they both be held so close together, especially since the Olympics were, for the most part, experimental and out of nowhere (which would not be the case if they were held again).

Satan.EXE

King of the Hell
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jun 12, 2015
You know, all of this debating is really taking notice away from our shameless advertising.

Years
  • Age 31
  • AU
  • Seen Feb 18, 2023
Alright kids.

The RPOs was a whim of an idea. It wasn't to replace the RPAs altogether, just the Q3 or whichever was June-August because of the Olympics. The RPOs had collaborative events but surprise surprise, though people joined, not actually many people participated.

And now, the Roleplay event is PURELY for the PCX. It's not because we think we don't have enough events. It's for FUN. Also, there are definitely collaborative events for that. Aka the battle event for that.

After all this, we'll be going back with the RPAs, which will take place in November or something, I'll have to re check.

Of course, if anyone has any ideas for events, I'm happy to listen and stuff, as long as youre prepared to organise it. That's what happened with the RPOs. The only thing I did administrative wise for that was create emblems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back