• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Compressing your Game

Years
  • Seen Jun 9, 2016
I've got a 1,5 gb file what do I do to compress it. The size is because of the animated sprites and the music.There is another thread with a similar question but it hasn't been answered.

PiaCRT

[i]Orange Dev[/i]
Years
You can try removing the audio folder and then compress it. I guarantee that's where that size came from. However, I recommend you downgrade your music or use MIDIs, as that is a ridiculous size for something that could use an installer.

PiaCRT

[i]Orange Dev[/i]
Years
o_O
Animated battlers, any kind of GIF is probably taking up space too. They won't compress well anyway so I suggest you re-add them after compression.

Years
  • Seen Jun 9, 2016
Do I remove it completely and add it afterwards or do I compress it with the normal ones and just replace it after it's done.

How can I focus with Mega evolutions dammit!

PiaCRT

[i]Orange Dev[/i]
Years
Remove it completely, then compress and re-add.

You must be using some really High Quality graphics for that kind of filesize. Another way to lower filesize is to index tiles (lower color count). You can do this with a program called irfanview.

PiaCRT

[i]Orange Dev[/i]
Years
How can it not be that big with 649x4+forms gifs.

Thanks for the help.

This is why while BW graphics are pretty and all, they are not ideal for an RPG Maker Game...lol.
There's no good way to compress .gif files, the reasons ROMs are so small is because they use an animation engine to animate the Pokémon with the sprites split into parts.

tImE

It's still me, 44tim44 ;)
Years
Like Evil Arms said, try to index the colors with Irfanview or Photoshop.
That is probably the best way to save space.
Otherwise, you'll just have to live with the big file size.
I don't really care if it's a big file size when I download a game.

One question though: Are you really going to feature all 649 Pokémon in your game?
It's REALLY hard to have all 649 Pokémon available in a game without having multiple regions.
Wouldn't it be better to make a custom Pokédex with your favorite Pokémon from all generations? That way you could lower the amount of images by 60-75%.

Back