• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[ARCHIVE] Simple Questions (SEARCH BEFORE ASKING A QUESTION)

Status
Not open for further replies.

redriders180

Mastermind of Pokemon Glazed
Years
For the XSE command "spritebehave", how do I use it, and how could I use it to my advantage?

Spritebehave is useful, because it lets you change the behavior of an overworld. The parameters are the OW number, and the behavior number, the latter able to be found in A-Map (for example, "Look Down" is 0x8, and "Walk Around" is 0x2). This command is mainly if you need an OW to have two different behaviors, one before and one after an event occurs. First example that comes to mind is the little girl in Pallet Town, who is first reading the sign (look up), then walking around at some other point.

Okay so I am new to this whole place (I have had an account, but that was just to download some of your guys awesome hacks) and I have been inspired to make me own hack... so I understand why you all have soooo many people helping cause it is hard as a one person job.

So anyway my question, whenever I changed up littleroot I messed something up because everytime the avatar walks out the door this happens
oi45.tinypic[.]com/2iarbwy.jpg (I cannot post urls cause I am to new :disappoin)
So I hit A and it goes into a loop... I have not changed any scripts in the town yet, all I have done is changed what it looks like and I added some new warps and people in it...
So I am sorry if other people have asked this, or if it doesn't belong in this thread... but please please help.

In A-Map, open the header tab of Littleroot Town. Near the middle, there's an option for "Map Script", with many different fields. Click the "remove" button until you can no longer click it, and save everything. That should fix the problem.

Years
Okay so I am new to this whole place (I have had an account, but that was just to download some of your guys awesome hacks) and I have been inspired to make me own hack... so I understand why you all have soooo many people helping cause it is hard as a one person job.

So anyway my question, whenever I changed up littleroot I messed something up because everytime the avatar walks out the door this happens
oi45.tinypic[.]com/2iarbwy.jpg (I cannot post urls cause I am to new :disappoin)
So I hit A and it goes into a loop... I have not changed any scripts in the town yet, all I have done is changed what it looks like and I added some new warps and people in it...
So I am sorry if other people have asked this, or if it doesn't belong in this thread... but please please help.

What you have there is a Level Script error.
Because you have edited Littleroot Town and removed the other sprites that are part of the script, the level script can't function so you get stuck in that loop.

How to fix:
Go into Advanced Map, Open up your map and click the 'Header' Tab.
Go to the 3rd section named 'Map script'.
Click on the 'remove' button until the section is completely greyed out.

You should have no more problems after that.

Wendle

Not So Standard Trainer
Years
  • Seen Jun 22, 2018
How any extra maps can I add to a fire red hack? How can I increase the amount allotted?

I have the A-ptch tool, does it work on IPS not APS files?

Last edited:
Years
So I am returning to my old hack which I haven't worked on in almost 10 months and I came across an error on Advance Map while trying to view my scripts.

Spoiler:

At first, Advance Map wouldn't accept XSE as the script editor until I edited the .ini file for XSE as it's path was still directed to it's old location (I moved my entire PokéHack project along with any files and programs associated with it to a new location on my PC). After that, A-Map accepted XSE but refuses to load it when I try to view scripts.
A-Map and XSE used to work perfectly together until I moved all the files to a new location.

Does this have anything to do with why A-Map is being stubborn?

Years
  • Seen Jun 25, 2022
I added new pokemon to my game, but when they go to evolve the animation starts then it stops as if B was pressed and the message box say "?" How do I fix this?

tajaros

Hi I'm dawg
Years
I added new pokemon to my game, but when they go to evolve the animation starts then it stops as if B was pressed and the message box say "?" How do I fix this?

By any chance, did you replace a Pokemon not from Kanto? (from JOHTO, and HOENN?)

And by that when you tried to evolve your Pokemon do you have The National Dex?

The solution to this is, get the National Dex, or Replace a Pokemon in Kanto so that the Pokemon will evolve Properly... :)

shinyabsol1

Pokemon DarkJasper!?
Years
  • Seen Nov 23, 2022
How do you edit the palette of the grass battle background?

I just inserted a new background and I want to change the colors, but I can't seem to pinpoint where the colors are that I need to change. I read somewhere that the palette is stored at 00248405, but when I open that in APE, it doesn't look right and it tells me that it is not safe to edit. And if I ignore that warning and replace it anyways, it wrecks the battle background palette.

Any help with figuring this out would be greatly appreciated!

redriders180

Years
So I am returning to my old hack which I haven't worked on in almost 10 months and I came across an error on Advance Map while trying to view my scripts.

Spoiler:

At first, Advance Map wouldn't accept XSE as the script editor until I edited the .ini file for XSE as it's path was still directed to it's old location (I moved my entire PokéHack project along with any files and programs associated with it to a new location on my PC). After that, A-Map accepted XSE but refuses to load it when I try to view scripts.
A-Map and XSE used to work perfectly together until I moved all the files to a new location.

Does this have anything to do with why A-Map is being stubborn?

Did you try opening A-Map, and go to Settings > Choose script editor...? That's the proper way to do it, so you shouldn't have any bugs.

tajaros

Hi I'm dawg
Years
That thread didn't help at all. Sorry. And i can't quote all of that cuz of the 15 posts rule.

Wanna play hacks? First you need an emulator.. (eg. VBA/NO$GBA)

Then you need to download a patching tool like LIPS and A-ptch cause all downloadable hacks here are on a patch... :)

But, In order to play you need a ROM, but, sorry ROM's are illegal just search them off google (eg FireRed, Ruby, Emerald, etc.) (You need to patch the Original ROM so that you will be able to play the hack) You can view the Original ROM in the thread name's(FireRed Hack: Pokemon Shinygold...etc.. :))

Some patches are in .Zip or .rar files for that you need a tool like Winrar or 7-zip for extraction of files... :)

Or maybe search off some tutorials on Youtube and Google they'll help you a lot... :)

redriders180

Years
How do you edit the palette of the grass battle background?

I just inserted a new background and I want to change the colors, but I can't seem to pinpoint where the colors are that I need to change. I read somewhere that the palette is stored at 00248405, but when I open that in APE, it doesn't look right and it tells me that it is not safe to edit. And if I ignore that warning and replace it anyways, it wrecks the battle background palette.

Any help with figuring this out would be greatly appreciated!

The palettes for the grass backgrounds are stored in the most annoying way possible. If you open up palette 248405, you'll see roughly half of the colors in the battle background... 0000, FC73, D4eF, 903F, B553, 1F7C, DD7B, and 777B. Change the palette to 248408, however, and the second half magically appears! In this case, F84B, FC5F, B33B, D85F, 997B, 9A7B, BB7B, and DB6F. By switching between the two, you'll be able to edit the palette, although it's incredibly annoying.

Where can I find a list of the numbers for RUBY specials + fanfares + MultichoiceID's? Most of the info out there is for FR, so it would help if there was a list for those 3 things.

I don't know about fanfares, but XSE has a list of Multichoices in it's help appendix, and a very limited list of specials (only a few). I'll list them here if you don't use XSE/don't want to dig around the help appendix (Courtest of Hackmew, Martin, and ZodiacDaGreat):

Spoiler:

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Jun 25, 2022
Well that would make sense, thanks tajaros. Is there any way to start with the national dex?

shinyabsol1

Pokemon DarkJasper!?
Years
  • Seen Nov 23, 2022
redriders180 said:
The palettes for the grass backgrounds are stored in the most annoying way possible. If you open up palette 248405, you'll see roughly half of the colors in the battle background... 0000, FC73, D4eF, 903F, B553, 1F7C, DD7B, and 777B. Change the palette to 248408, however, and the second half magically appears! In this case, F84B, FC5F, B33B, D85F, 997B, 9A7B, BB7B, and DB6F. By switching between the two, you'll be able to edit the palette, although it's incredibly annoying.

Wow, that is incredibly annoying! And I would do it that way but...

...since I posted my initial question, I actually found a palette at 00248400 (an LZ77 Compressed Palette) which has all the colors for the grass battle background in it, and it seems to work fine for changing the colors.

Do you know if there is any difference between editing this palette and the other two you mentioned?

tajaros

Hi I'm dawg
Years
Well that would make sense, thanks tajaros. Is there any way to start with the national dex?

Yes, but it will be through scripting... :)

you have to set this flag with the following special
setflag 0x829 <- Enables the Pokedex Menu
special 0x16F <- Enables the National Dex in the Pokedex... :)

Here's an example script that'll give you the Pokedex with the National Dex Activated.. :)

#dynamic 0x800000

#org @start
lock
faceplayer
checkflag 0x829
if 0x1 goto @how
msgbox @glad 0x6
fanfare 0x101
preparemsg @receive
waitmsg
waitfanfare
msgbox @take 0x6
setflag 0x829
special 0x16F
release
end

#org @how
msgbox @is 0x6
release
end

#org @glad
= Proffessor: Oh, \v\h01!\pGlad you made it here, you really\nseem to be growing with your\lPokémon.\p\v\h01: Yeah, were best buddies!\pProffessor: Great!\pAnd because, of that I would like\nyou to have this!\p\v\h01: What's that?\pProffessor: It's a Pokédex with\nthe updated data.\pUse it wisely.

#org @receive
= \v\h01 received the Pokédex from\nProffessor.

#org @take
= \v\h01: Woah, thanks Proffessor\nthis is really cool!\pProffessor: Maybe I should give\nyou a brief tutorial on how to use\lit...\p\v\h01: Ok, I'm listening...\pProffessor: Ok, when you met a\nPokémon in a battle or in wild.\pIt automatically records it, but\nyou need to capture it to obtain\lfull data.\pFor that you need Poké Balls, you\ncan buy those in a nearby Poké\lMart.\p\v\h01: Woah, this is really handy\nthanks Proffessor!\pProffessor: Ok, please take care.\pBe your very best!\p\v\h01: Ok, Proffessor I'll sure\nwill.

#org @is
= Proffessor: Is my Pokédex helping\nyou on your journey?

Hope this helps... :)

redriders180

Years
Wow, that is incredibly annoying! And I would do it that way but...

...since I posted my initial question, I actually found a palette at 00248400 (an LZ77 Compressed Palette) which has all the colors for the grass battle background in it, and it seems to work fine for changing the colors.

Do you know if there is any difference between editing this palette and the other two you mentioned?

It's possible they both do the same thing, but I'm not 100% sure on that. But I just tried your offset, and it works fine, changed the colors and everything. I guess the guy who wrote that tutorial might've been mistaken about the offset.

BrandoSheriff

Has a tendency to figure things out
Years
Is it currently possible to give newly created attacks the effect of lowering the stats of the user without toying with battle scripting? The attack editor on PGE doesn't list them.

Also, no need to answer my last question, I found a way. xD

Years
  • Seen Dec 6, 2023
Question: Is it possible to edit the characters used in a rom?

By "characters" I mean things like the pokeyen symbol, or foreign characters like "è" "á" or "ç". I want to replace some of these, but don't know where to start messing with. Help?

edit: I know it's possible, Light Platinum did that, at least in the Portuguese version.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back