• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Starters / The professor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
The poster at the bottom with the Starters and the other three is a giveaway for pre-ordering I don't think it has anything else to do with the games other than that.

Years
  • Seen Apr 14, 2013
It's still Unova, so I figure it's safe to say we'll choose from the Unova starters. Though, it could be possible to get a second starter from another region after beating the game like in HG/SS, but that's just a guess.

Years
  • Seen Sep 10, 2014
Starters, we'll still probably have Snivy/Tepig/Oshawott. I've heard somewhere that there is a secret regarding the starters this time, and some people have suggested that Serperior would become a Grass/Psychic (one of the worst typings defense-wise, right up there with Grass/Ice and the Arceus-forbid Ice/Steel), Emboar a Fire/Dark, and Samurott a Water/Fighting. While this is wishful thinking and I highly doubt that the Pokemon Company would change their types (albeit for the better), it is still something to consider. Another, more realistic suggestion would be to have the starters obtained with their "Dream World" ability- then finally we can all have Leaf Storm Super-periors! If not the Snivy/Tepig/Oshawott starters, then I would think it would be second-most sensible for the Unova region for the starters to be Pansage/Pansear/Panpour.

The professor doesn't seem to be a big-bad. But he doesn't seem like a clear-cut good guy either like Oak, Elm, Birch, or Juniper. I can tell already the plot of these games are going to be on an entirely different theme than their predecessors. Particularly, while Black and White focused on Pokemon liberation and freedom from their trainers, this game already seems to suggest it would be more on the raw power of a Pokemon and how it can be used by humans- definitely a much better lead-in for the Musketeer trio.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023

No, not at all. In fact, its perfectly reasonable. But nintendo is too stupid to realize that we've had three fire-fighting starters in a row. And 6 dragon mascots.

You do realize they did that on purpose right? If not...wow...

Starters, we'll still probably have Snivy/Tepig/Oshawott. I've heard somewhere that there is a secret regarding the starters this time, and some people have suggested that Serperior would become a Grass/Psychic (one of the worst typings defense-wise, right up there with Grass/Ice and the Arceus-forbid Ice/Steel), Emboar a Fire/Dark, and Samurott a Water/Fighting. While this is wishful thinking and I highly doubt that the Pokemon Company would change their types (albeit for the better), it is still something to consider. Another, more realistic suggestion would be to have the starters obtained with their "Dream World" ability- then finally we can all have Leaf Storm Super-periors! If not the Snivy/Tepig/Oshawott starters, then I would think it would be second-most sensible for the Unova region for the starters to be Pansage/Pansear/Panpour.

The professor doesn't seem to be a big-bad. But he doesn't seem like a clear-cut good guy either like Oak, Elm, Birch, or Juniper. I can tell already the plot of these games are going to be on an entirely different theme than their predecessors. Particularly, while Black and White focused on Pokemon liberation and freedom from their trainers, this game already seems to suggest it would be more on the raw power of a Pokemon and how it can be used by humans- definitely a much better lead-in for the Musketeer trio.

They can't change typing if the games link to Black and White for battle and trade. The type code would either transfer causing B/W to read them as hacked or won't read type changes and games would have calculation errors in battle.

Turn-it

Coordinator/Elite Trainer
Years
  • Seen Dec 4, 2012
Maybe with the ambudance of pokemon in the dex we will be able to pick one out of the 16 (Kanto + Pikachu line, Johto, Hoenn, Sinnoh, Unova)...that'll be incredible if we could :D!

That would be awesome! Highly unlikely, but awesome nonetheless.

SnowpointQuincy

Seeker of FRIEND CODES
Years
Red, Steven, Cynthia and such could return as 'super bosses', each giving a choice of pokemon as a reward.

I don't think there would ever be more than one set of starters in the regional pokedex. I don't think this is an issue. But imagine 45/300 pokes being starter... (just a passing thought)

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
AqWhGPYCQAADOvb.jpg:large

Looks like we keep the same starters.

Cello

Tonight!
Years
Looks like we keep the same starters.

We were already kinda aware of that, but thanks for reposting old news? Haha.

As for who we receive them from, that's another question.
Perhaps since we're near a school we'll receive them from a teacher this time rather than a professor as a nice change from things?

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Apr 13, 2024

We were already kinda aware of that, but thanks for reposting old news? Haha.

As for who we receive them from, that's another question.
Perhaps since we're near a school we'll receive them from a teacher this time rather than a professor as a nice change from things?
Oh, that would be really cool!! It would be a nice change if we were students of a trainer school for a little bit before we go on an adventure and we're given a Pokémon that way. Whether it be from a professor paying a visit to the school, or some other way.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
I just hope they don't slam the "school" part into our heads too much, like forcing us to go through basic things that we already know (except for catching since that's in every game). That would make for a super boring intro haha.

Zelda

⍃⍍⍄ ⍃⍍⍄
Years
  • Age 8
  • +
  • Seen Sep 15, 2020
Receiving our starters from a school teacher really does change things up, and it would give us a different way to meet the professor too! But if we don't start out to be 10 like in Black and White, I don't see why we would need to go to a school to get our starter. Plus, I'd much rather GameFreak give us a little hint in the beginning when Akumora hands us our starter Pokémon as to why he would if evil.

SnowpointQuincy

Seeker of FRIEND CODES
Years
First you get a pidove. Then you suffer through the tutorial section. (ie Trainer School) Once the tutorial is over, you get the running shoes, a starter pokemon, and you get to leave the stupid tutorial behind forever.

That's how I see it. The starter is given as a graduation gift, not just given to any 10 year old.

Years
  • Seen Apr 17, 2012
I wonder if they would have you start off with Reshiram or Zekrom depending on which game you bought and Reshiram/Zekrom gets stolen and you have to start off and your mom tells you to go see the professor and he will help you get them back in return for filling out the pokedex :)

That would be an awsome opening :). the player vs. Black Kyurem or White Kyurem and you lose badly or the fight gets interrupted by Team Plasma or whichever new team they will have

Last edited:

Steven

[i]h e l p[/i]
Years
  • Age 31
  • Ohio
  • Seen Jan 4, 2023
I'm 99% sure they won't change the starters. But I am just curious what the twist will be. They might just be talking about how we obtain the starters, and not the starters themselves.

Maybe we'll find out tomorrow when they show footage on Smash.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
I wonder if they would have you start off with Reshiram or Zekrom depending on which game you bought and Reshiram/Zekrom gets stolen and you have to start off and your mom tells you to go see the professor and he will help you get them back in return for filling out the pokedex :)

That would be an awsome opening :). the player vs. Black Kyurem or White Kyurem and you lose badly or the fight gets interrupted by Team Plasma or whichever new team they will have

But then you'd have like... a level 5 Reshiram or Zekrom. o_O Wouldn't that be way overpowered early on? XD; I'd much rather just the normal starters. :x

Railgun

Ever Day Another New Adventure
Years
I wish they would do what the company who did the GC games did with a preset one.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 11, 2020
I thought there was a new professor. So shouldn't we be receiving the pokemon from that guy? Where'd you find the information about the school teacher :/

I also think they're keeping the original starters from the unova reigon :(
kinda sucks, but makes sense. I'll bet the older pokemon are just for catching variety.

Years
  • Seen Apr 17, 2012

But then you'd have like... a level 5 Reshiram or Zekrom. o_O Wouldn't that be way overpowered early on? XD; I'd much rather just the normal starters. :x

No I mean they would be level 50 Black Kyurem or White Kyurem (Whichever you're fighting) is around level 55 in the middle of your battle you're inturrupted etc. It would be nice *sigh*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back