• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The best move set?

Years
  • Seen Aug 18, 2016
Hey yall...

What do you think would be the best move set? I don't care if it's actually possible, but if you can put it onto a Pokemon, then you might as well list it. Something tells me that Mew and Smeargle are going to be popular choices.

As for me,

I don't like boosts too much, but I might go for something like this.
Something with Iron Fist or technician (Fighting, ghost typing would be cool as well.)
Belly drum
Recover/rest (with a lum berry or something)
Mach punch (or some other strong fighting type move)
Shadow punch (or some other physical ghost type move)(preferrably punching so you can work with Iron Fist, or priority with weak to work with technician).

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
The best moveset for a Pokemon depends on its stats.

For example, Pokemon with good offensive stats and Speed, like Salamence, use a moveset consisting of mostly offensive moves to lay in the hurt (Outrage, Earthquake, etc.). Some of them use set up moves, like Swords Dance or Calm Mind, so that they can hit harder.

Pokemon with defensively leaning stats, like Blissey, use a more defensive set to keep themselves alive throughout the match. Those movesets consist of moves that status the opponent (Toxic, Thunder Wave, etc.), a recovery move (if applicable), a support move (Stealth Rock, Spikes, Wish, Reflect etc.) and sometimes an offensive move to prevent them from being rendered useless by Taunt.

Sayan

is tightening its focus
Years
To capitalize on your first given example- Pure Power or Huge Power would be a better choice for abilities. Shadow sneak over Shadow Punch can be used so you're always using +1 priority moves. Plus, since your Pokemon is Ghost/Fighting, it's immune to the +2 priority attacks, Extremespeed and Feint.

The final moveset can be-

brokenmon @ Leftovers/Sitrus Berry/Eviolite (if it's NFE)/ANYTHING that'd help it set BD up.

Belly Drum
Shadow Sneak
Mach Punch
Close Combat/Night Slash/Outrage (these are for slower, bulkier things)

Ritzz

Bazinga
Years
I was never a fan of support moves, I just use pure offensive attacks. xD

But a good moveset would cover a variety of types. So in my opinion, the following is a pretty good moveset:

Gengar
Shadow Ball
Focus Blast
Sludge Bomb
Psychic/Thunderbolt

Yeah I'm a noob.

Years
  • Seen Sep 18, 2020
My favorite build thus far was actually inspired by Bugsy's Scyther in generation 2...

Jolly Technician Scyther w/Eviolite
Fury Cutter
Reversal*
Aerial Ace
Focus Energy

*Egg move from Heracross

Demands setup and is largely predictable once it gets going (Fury Cutter hurr), but carries great damage potential; works great on AI teams at least. No moveset is perfect, but I'd enjoy success with my obscurity if nothing else.
Sorry if I've been too specific.

Something with Iron Fist or technician (Fighting, ghost typing would be cool as well.)
Belly drum
Recover/rest (with a lum berry or something)
Mach punch (or some other strong fighting type move)
Shadow punch (or some other physical ghost type move)(preferrably punching so you can work with Iron Fist, or priority with weak to work with technician).
You could have a Golurk built around most of that.

Last edited:

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
I don't know if this is for in-game or competitive, but either way, I'm moving it to CBC.

Sayan

is tightening its focus
Years
I was never a fan of support moves, I just use pure offensive attacks. xD

But a good moveset would cover a variety of types. So in my opinion, the following is a pretty good moveset:

Gengar
Shadow Ball
Focus Blast
Sludge Bomb
Psychic/Thunderbolt

Yeah I'm a noob.

That Gengar just needs Substitute. And neither Psychic nor Sludge Bomb is of much use. And Gengar also has some other support moves that might change your point of view, Disable and Destiny Bond come to mind.

Back