• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Rainbow Connection [LGBTS Club]

Years
  • Age 32
  • UK
  • Seen Oct 17, 2023
FILM TIME! :3

I remembered this really sweet short film from years ago and thought I would re-find it to share.

It's a good reminder to us that although there is a lot of negativity surrounding gay rights, etc., that times are changing - already we are becoming a generation of acceptance and change.

We tend to think of the gay-issue as being a US/UK orientated thing around here, especially with all the recent news, so here is a Vietnamese video about coming out. It shows a nice transition from childhood to teenage years, and I have a feeling many will relate.

Years
WTF are psychiatrists and medical professionals doing going around saying that gay marriage should be banned? Oh wait.

polls_think_of_the_children_2111_284019_answer_2_xlarge.jpeg

Do kids with a mother and father do better overall? Maybe. Is that strictly because there is one male parent and one female parent and not, say, because they are more accepted by society than gay or single parents and are therefore statistically more likely to have support from family and employers, religious institutions and, apparently, the medical field as well? I mean, COME ON. If kids had THREE parents they'd be even better off so why don't these doctors push to make sure that all kids are raised by three parents. No, make that FOUR. Four would be even better. IT'S FOR THE CHILDRENS , DUMB****S!

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
Years
omg we should so do stuff like "Gay Movie Sunday" or "Transfilm Tuesday" XDDD

I really enjoyed the first one. Despite the fact that the old man presumably never got to live his life as he should have been able to, it was a fantastic representation of what's changed between now and the 40s. That made me really happy to watch ^_^, I loved the little smile on the old man's face at the end as he watched the two men hold hands. That was sweet and I imagine him mentally saying a devious little "**** you" to his father XD.

The second video made me lol a bit. It was a good video with a great message but the production quality was kinda bad haha. It's the kind of acting and dialogue you'd see on a PSA or an insurance commercial lmao.

Also, I'm oddly unfazed by CWP's link. Because I know that for every psychiatrist who says that gay marriage is detrimental to society, there are probably about fifteen who are just waiting in the wings to contradict them. And the latter are psychiatrists who are actually worth their salt, since 'not judging' is kind of in the job description of a psychiatrist lol.

Though I do agree with what Scarf said: even if what that woman was saying were true, why does every ****ing little thing have to pass the 'good for children' test before it's OK by society. Children are not everything, they are not even 20% of everything. There are people other than children who live in this world, and they count just as much.

PokeGirlBel

Avengers Assemble!
Years
This may sound odd but I am curious since I know I'm trans and all. Whats the best way to get the voice down? I heard someone say its best not to speak until its a true girl voice but the thing is I know lots of girls and they have different voices. Like one has a real deep one and some have super high. So how do I know when its "there"?

Magdalena~

Feel the hnnnnggg
Years
FILM TIME! :3

I remembered this really sweet short film from years ago and thought I would re-find it to share.

It's a good reminder to us that although there is a lot of negativity surrounding gay rights, etc., that times are changing - already we are becoming a generation of acceptance and change.

We tend to think of the gay-issue as being a US/UK orientated thing around here, especially with all the recent news, so here is a Vietnamese video about coming out. It shows a nice transition from childhood to teenage years, and I have a feeling many will relate.

Those are some nice videos. :3 I mean the acting of the second one isn't exactly 100% but I don't mind. xD
WTF are psychiatrists and medical professionals doing going around saying that gay marriage should be banned? Oh wait.

polls_think_of_the_children_2111_284019_answer_2_xlarge.jpeg

Do kids with a mother and father do better overall? Maybe. Is that strictly because there is one male parent and one female parent and not, say, because they are more accepted by society than gay or single parents and are therefore statistically more likely to have support from family and employers, religious institutions and, apparently, the medical field as well? I mean, COME ON. If kids had THREE parents they'd be even better off so why don't these doctors push to make sure that all kids are raised by three parents. No, make that FOUR. Four would be even better. IT'S FOR THE CHILDRENS , DUMB****S!
Yeah. -_- That's my second least favourite argument. My very least favourite is "I'm Christian and am serious about my religion; therefore I am offended by that".
This may sound odd but I am curious since I know I'm trans and all. Whats the best way to get the voice down? I heard someone say its best not to speak until its a true girl voice but the thing is I know lots of girls and they have different voices. Like one has a real deep one and some have super high. So how do I know when its "there"?
I'm not the best person to ask on this since I've done absolutely no work whatsoever on my voice, but you can check this site out. The basic idea is that it's not tone but actually resonance that makes a voice sound "male" or "female". Guys usually speak in their lower throat and chest; girls usually speak in their throat or head. Some girls have lower voices than some men but don't sound like men; this is because their resonance is still in a "female" range even though the tone is lower.

P.S.: I think the practice of "not speaking" altogether until you have a "passable" voice is a bit marginalising, but it is your choice of course. It all depends on how important passing is to you, and how much it hurts you to be read as male.

Last edited:

Shining Raichu

Years
If anyone has a spare 10 minute they should probably watch this video. Shows exactly why gay marriage needs to be allowed.

(p.s. keep tissues nearby)

I was watching E! News about an hour ago (because it is interesting and informative and the only type of news show anybody should ever bother with should they not wish to die of intense boredom :P) and the man who made that video was on there, talking about it. I thought it was awesome that E! News tied the video in with Obama's declaration of support for same-sex marriage, and gave Shane a chance to speak out on the issue. Also now it's an extra win against Tom's parents because now both he and clips of the video have appeared on international television, which would have gone directly against their wishes >:)

for him.

I'm trash.
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Aug 6, 2023
The videos were nice. I liked the Vietnamese one. It had a nice message and I was pleasantly surprised that I could understand a little more than half of it with my deteriorating handle of the language.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
I'm super Happy right Raven Symone the actress from the Disney show That so Raven came out. http://http://www.edgeonthenet.com/entertainment/celebrities/133259/raven-symone_answers_outing_story_::_&rsquo%3Bmy_sexual_orientation_is_mine&rsquo%3B I wish i could come out fully to all the people in my family without them freaking out or kicking me out the house.

That was reported in a tabloid ;x

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1685420/raven-symone-gay-rumors-sexual-orientation.jhtml

While Raven-Symoné neither confirmed nor denied the speculation on Friday, when she took to Twitter to open up about the rumor, she did make it clear that whatever she does in her personal life is her business.

"I'm living my PERSONAL life the way I'm happiest," she tweeted. "I'm not one, in my 25 year career to disclose who I'm dating. and I shall not start now. My sexual orientation is mine, and the person I'm datings to know. I'm not one for a public display of my life."

She continued that "however that is my right as a HUMAN BEing whether straight or gay. To tell or not to tell. As long as I'm not harming anyone. I am a light being made from love. And my career is the only thing I would like to put on display, not my personal life. Kisses!"

I wouldn't be so quick to believe what the National Enquirer says about any celebrity. :P

Shining Raichu

Years
That'd be pretty sweet if it were true though. They make a lovely-looking couple in that picture!

Also guys, rejoice! TODAY IS THE RAINBOW CONNECTION'S FIRST ANNIVERSARY! *rainbow balloons fly everywhere*

I'd like to take this opportunity to show what progress can be made in a year!

May 2011:
I was devastated, it took me a while to forgive [Kathy Griffin] for that one. She's my favourite gay icon, even above Lady Gaga, and I can't accept that I'll have to live my life without a yearly fix of D-List antics :( - my new dream is for a show called "Kathy Lately". Think about how awesome that would be - it can air straight after Chelsea Lately lol

April 2012:
Huffington Post said:
Kathy Griffin's new weekly talk show "Kathy" (Thu., 10 p.m. ET on Bravo) premiered Thursday night.

As expected, the potty-mouthed comedian and her friends had plenty to say about the "Real Housewives Of Atlanta" reunion that aired right before, but even Griffin had a hard time upstaging the nasty Kim vs. Marlo fight that took place.

Griffin also tried out a few new ideas to shake up the talk show format, such as saying "**** off!" instead of "Welcome back" after an ad break, and she added some of her trademark stand-up.

Last edited:

Alice

(>^.(>0.0)>
Years
Just for the lulz:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2n7vSPwhSU (This is actually very offensive, I just find it funny because of how stupid it is. So, yeah... there's your warning.)

There's just too many things to make fun of in this video. I laughed so hard at how "again it" he is. Also, he seems to think lesbians, queers, and homosexuals are three separate things.

Years
And if you want to have some background on this video, here is an article.

If I were feeling generous I would think this is just his misguided attempt to make a point about "gays not being able to reproduce" (which is stupid - they can reproduce, they just won't enjoy it) but since I don't feel generous I think it's jaw-droppingly shocking and terrible for anyone to suggest putting anyone in concentration camps.

Magdalena~

Feel the hnnnnggg
Years
TODAY IS THE RAINBOW CONNECTION'S FIRST ANNIVERSARY! *rainbow balloons fly everywhere*
:DDDDD YAY! CELEBRATE! I'm so happy!
I remember . . . -sniff- when this club was just starting out. -sniff- And . . . -bursts into tears and is unable to continue-
I'M SO PROUD OF THE RAINBOW CONNECTION!!! ;w;

Guys I made you cupcakes :D
colorburst+cupcakes+on+platter.jpg

EVERYONE ENJOY :DDDDD

Just for the lulz:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2n7vSPwhSU (This is actually very offensive, I just find it funny because of how stupid it is. So, yeah... there's your warning.)

There's just too many things to make fun of in this video. I laughed so hard at how "again it" he is. Also, he seems to think lesbians, queers, and homosexuals are three separate things.
Normally I have no trouble being amused by something like that, but it's the fact that people are cheering that really bothers me.
Putting people in concentration camps? UGH D:

Anyway to avoid a repeat of the dead silence we had for a very long time just recently (happens every time I post lol), I'd like to introduce a few topics:

Are you in any GSA's or LGBT clubs publicly, or some online other than the Rainbow Connection? Tell us about them.

and:

Out of the people you've come out to, whose reaction surprised you the most? Please do tell us details. :D

Anniversary questions!!!! :D

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
I'm a part of the 4 to 5 Movement at my school, which is centered around the idea that 4 out of 5 college-educated people between the ages of 18 and 30 support the general package of gay civil rights. It's been trying to get our school to be less backwards in this regard, because as progressive as it can be, it still is really conservative on LGBT issues. I don't really go to the meetings though, because idk anyone in the club so it would be really awkward for me haha.

Yoshikko

the princess has awoken while the prince sleeps on
Years
  • Seen Apr 27, 2020
Well, I just wanna ask, what if people don't support it? Isn't that their choice as much as it is if you do want to support something? If they don't act upon it (like hating, crimes, etc), then I don't see what the problem is.

Alice

(>^.(>0.0)>
Years
Are you in any GSA's or LGBT clubs publicly, or some online other than the Rainbow Connection? Tell us about them.

I joined emptyclosets.com for a bit, but there wasn't really enough to keep me occupied there. Hopefully there will be a LGBT club at the college I'm going to.
Out of the people you've come out to, whose reaction surprised you the most? Please do tell us details.
I've really only came out to my parents, and I think my mom actually took it way better than my dad, which was surprising. My mom is religious, and my dad isn't, but my dad looked like he had saw a ghost when I told him.

Shining Raichu

Years
-noms on delicious cupcake-

I kind of want to laugh at that video myself, but it is very hard. The "again it" thing is hilarious, as his most of his speech but I agree with Magdalena that the cheers from the crowd disturb me somewhat. The fact that people are so without common sense and will still in 2012 just blindly believe what a pastor tells them is truly troubling.

~Now if we just gather North Carolina's churchgoers and put them in a big electric fence~

No, I'm not actually. Where I live, there isn't really much in the way of LGBT rights activism - I just live in a coastal area away from the front lines of anything - so there isn't really an opportunity. There are equal rights rallies every now and then in Sydney that I see posted on Facebook and I'd like to go but they're always on Saturdays when I work and it's a long train-ride to Sydney as well lol.

Out of the people you've come out to, whose reaction surprised you the most? Please do tell us details. :D
I feel so boring in that I've had no surprises either lmao. Everybody I've told reacted exactly the way I expected they would. One of my friends had a little trouble with it for a day or two just because the fact that I'd flown under the radar for so long made her question how well she really knew me and if we were really that close, but after that she was fine. I was a little surprised by what she took issue with out of the whole thing... but I guess that was the biggest surprise I've had thus far lol.

Yoshikkko said:
Well, I just wanna ask, what if people don't support it? Isn't that their choice as much as it is if you do want to support something? If they don't act upon it (like hating, crimes, etc), then I don't see what the problem is.
That's absolutely their choice, and people exercise that choice every day - so I'm not sure I totally understand your question. If you're asking whether it's acceptable not to support gay rights because we live in a free world where people are allowed to think what they like, then yes I suppose technically it is acceptable to society. It isn't, however, acceptable to me.

What the people who choose that path need to understand is that even though this is a free world, there are still consequences for every choice we make. For instance, if somebody wishes to be my friend and does not support any part of who I am, then the consequence is that they don't get to be my friend (and that is a huge deal - I'm kind of a catch! :P).

On the grander scale, if people choose not to accept the LGBT community then they are part of the problem, and they will come out on the wrong side of history. So that's the consequence there lol.

NP

Help, I'm alive
Years
COMIC NERD POST, FAIR WARNING:
So...if you guys have not heard yet, Dan DiDio has announced that in June he will make one of the major DC legacy characters gay. Everyone is suspecting it will be Batman because of what Grant Morrison, a DC writer, told Playboy, "[Batman is] very plutonian in the sense that he's wealthy and also in the sense that he's sexually deviant. Gayness is built into Batman. I'm not using gay in the pejorative sense, but Batman is very, very gay. There's just no denying it."

For those of you into speculation: So, what do you think, will the dark knight finally get to be open about his sidekick? Will Northstar get a new buddy? (I know, he's Marvel.) Or will it be some other character?

Personally, I'm not too happy that they're going to "change" a major character. I mean, it just seems like a giant publicity stunt and I'd rather a new gay character to join the ranks than "changing" an old one.

But if they really are going to go through with this, why not classic Mr. Wayne:

"Getting out of bed with Robin, Wayne says, 'Ah that was good sleep! C'mon Dick, a cold shower, a big breakfast!'"

(Would of posted the actual comic panel, but I was link-blocked ;x)
(No, I don't think he would actually be the "new gay one."

Last edited:

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
I don't feel like they'd make Batman gay. I mean there's been speculation about it for decades but they've made such a clear point that he's not gay...and with the movies coming out and his huge amount of popularity, I really don't think the franchise would allow him to make such a major change to a character when they finally hit a formula that makes Batman popular with the general public. ;o

AQUAMAN

Back