• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pok?mon Topaz

Chimou

Dancing Artist
Years
  • Age 39
  • Seen Aug 21, 2006
Some of you might be familiar with my Sapphire hack: Topaz. Essentially, the idea was just a fun hack. Nothing to major. Start with Pikachu, and your rival starts with Eevee. Sound familiar? Catching all the Pok?mon was a huge aspect.

However, my lack of knowldge in scpriting is my shortcoming in both ROM hacking and game creation. So if someone would like to join my game, and become my partner, it would be much appreciated and welcomed. I need a java scripter because this game will be done in Sphere.

These goals are focused on just completing the first events of the game.
Short-Term Goals:
Finish mapping Littleroot Town. (COMPLETE)
Finish scripting Littleroot Town.
Finish mapping Littleroot houses.
Finish scripting Littleroot houses.
Finish mapping Birch's Lab.
Finish scripting Birch's Lab.
Finish mapping Route 101. (COMPLETE)
Finish scripting Route 101.
Finish scripting enter menu.
Finish scripting battle engine.
Finish scripting Birch's "Help Me" event.

These goals are far-off, and may not come to pass.
Long-Term Goals:
Script Pok?dex.
Script Pok?gear.
Complete Hoenn region.
Complete Johto region.
Complete Kanto region.
Have all Pok?mon catchable.

Obviously, I would be lucky to complete Hoenn. I'm a good mapper and spriter. I can do a lot of the design aspects. I pale when it comes to scripting though. Some help is required. Please PM me if you're interested. Then I'll give you my IM screen names, so then we can contact each other instantly, and transfer files.

The screenshot is an actual shot of a demo I created of Littleroot. The events don't work. I tried to make basic functions and failed. The tilesets were manually inputted. As was the Haruka (May) spriteset shown in the screenshot.

Last edited:

Booda Sack

Sphere Master
Years
java programmer because this game will be done in Sphere.
Just one thing,its javascript.
But instead,of maping everything yourself,just go to vgmaps.com and save the map images then in sphere use "import image to map",its alot quicker because all you have to do then is sperate the layers which only takes a few mins.
Also,I love it when games in sphere start up so I wish you good luck with this.

RM2K3kid

Insane..
Years
Thats true when I was messing with sphere I accidently imported pewter city as the map lol it works rather well and saves alot of time.

Chimou

Dancing Artist
Years
  • Age 39
  • Seen Aug 21, 2006
Thanks for the site, Booda. I'll go there now, and check it out.

I still need a lot of help though. >o

Chimou

Dancing Artist
Years
  • Age 39
  • Seen Aug 21, 2006
Thanks, Umbreon.

I'm having difficulty with importing maps. When I try to, the maps stay blank. Also, how can I make "?" show up in the game?

Booda Sack

Sphere Master
Years
Just press ctrl+alt+e.
As for the maps,I think it puts the map file in the same folder as the image,so check there.

Chimou

Dancing Artist
Years
  • Age 39
  • Seen Aug 21, 2006
For me it's alt (hold) + 1 + 3 + 0 (Num. Pad), but that's not what I mean. The "?" doesn't show up during gameplay.

Thanks for the help again, Booda. It was where you said it was.

Booda Sack

Sphere Master
Years
oh you need to put it into the game's font.

So open up the font and go to the ? by pressing what you need to and draw/past it in.

Chimou

Dancing Artist
Years
  • Age 39
  • Seen Aug 21, 2006
Not sure what that means, but I figured out a way to make it work. Thanks for helping out though. I was able to come up with a way from your advice.

Chimou

Dancing Artist
Years
  • Age 39
  • Seen Aug 21, 2006
I have finished the following:
Mapping Littleroot
Mapping Player's House
Mapping Petalburg
Mapping Route 101
Mapping Route 102
Mapping Route 103
Calling the Enter Menu

I can call the menu, but all I get is the outline of the window, and the rest is black. The middle is black, and the area around it is black too. Not sure how to fix this.

How do I make it so that people talk to you when you press the "Z" key?

Also, can you make it so that text scrolls like it does in the games?

Booda Sack

Sphere Master
Years
Answer to the first one: SetTalkActivationKey(KEY_Z);

To the second,yes you can,you need to script it though.

Back