• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How often do you restart?

Treecko

the princess without voice
Years
I've always wondered this and since I was considering restarting my HeartGold version.

How often do you restart Pokemon games?

As for me, I never really restart my games alot. All the progress and memories I have made on that said game makes it hard to start over. It's why I decide not to restart my HeartGold yet. Whenever I do start a new game, it's usually because I'm bored with the current save file. I usually have a reason for restarting a game such as I didn't like name I gave myself or the starter I choose and it's usually only when I haven't made a lot of progress on a game.

How about you guys? Discuss.

Years
I don't usually restart my games at all. I only restarted once, with Platinum, but I guess that's cos I was disappointed with my starter choice (which was Turtwig) so yeah, I wanted to start with Chimchar (my fave Sinnoh starter) which explains that.

However, the reason I don't tend to restart is because I collect a lot of Pokemon and I don't want them to go to waste.

Kieran_90

That guy that you think you remember
Years
  • Seen Dec 27, 2015
I tend to restart every game I get (but roms more often). At the moment, I send all my pokemon over to my Black version (the only one I never restarted) and then restart. I'm currently playing a challenge on HG, one on Black 2, have a dead postponed one on Emerald etc. I only usually restart for challenges.

Years
  • Seen Jan 27, 2014
Never at all...there's no such thing as me restarting. I only restarted once, because I was testing my HeartGold to verify its legitimacy. It's just not worth it because I've done so much.

Sassy Milkshake

It's ok to cry.
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Feb 10, 2013
I actually start over quite a lot. I don't really have Pokemon that I need to save or anything.

I don't really restart my game. I only restarted my Soulsilver after fainting Raikou by accident.
Wow, you must've been pretty dang far.

Madic0

Years
I tend to restart more often than I ever thought I would. Even if there's something rare on the file or I if have put lots of time into it, I always end up telling myself that I can get it all back -- and more -- if I ever really want to.

The source of the restart tends to be the feeling of starting fresh after not having played for a long stretch, also from the notion that I could have played through the game better.

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jul 14, 2021
I never restart, the thought of losing all my progress has always refrained me from restarting.

Aryan143

The Fennekin Fan!
Years
I always save before important battles and restart if I lost or even when the pokemon which could have sweeped the other pokemon died.

Years
  • Seen Oct 23, 2013
Never, ever. I think its dumb :>

Never, ever. I think its dumb :>

Last edited:

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
Years
  • Seen Sep 17, 2018
I restart my games about three times a year and play through or get bored. I usually restart a generation I haven't played in a while, like I'm replaying Gen III right now and after that I might go through Platinum again, then back to Red Version or Blue Version.

Really I just go with whichever generation I feel like playing, but I usually keep a game per generation where I hoard all of my items and good Pokemon on with each restart, like I always restart Blue and keep stuff on Red, I restart Crystal version since it's my only working Gen II game, I hoard stuff on my Sapphire Version since I used my Action Replay on it to get max berries and it broke shortly after that, and for Gen IV I keep everything on Pearl Version since that's one game I've never restarted and have had the same file for nearly 6 years, something really rare with me lol.

Years
I think I've restarted only once on one of the games I got new, and that was Sapphire (after having my original save file for about 4 years). I did restart on any of the used games I got (Gold, FireRed, Platinum, HeartGold), but that's just because I wanted to start my own game from scratch.

I might try restarting Sapphire again since I've done basically nothing on that file, and I think I'll to do some challenges or something. The rest of my games will probably stay the way that they are, since I've put in countless hours into each, and I don't want to just throw that away.

Years
  • Seen Jul 16, 2014
I don't think i've restarted any game except my HeartGold version,I already had the first badge but i screwed something up so i had to restart.

pikakitten

You met with a terrible fate
Years
A soft reset? Many times, I always screw up somewhere.
A hard reset? After a year or so unless I've grown too attached to my Pokemon, as ridiculous as it sounds.

Years
Not as often as I used to.

Whenever I restart a game I can send migrate Pokemon from, I usually do that, then restart.

I haven't restarted Pokemon White or Black 2. The last game I have restarted though was Heartgold.

Years
I usually never restart my games. Although one time I restarted my Sapphire version for the heck of it.. Also, if I get a game from someone else that was used, I tend to restart those as well.

Turboblaze

Blazing Aura
Years
Way more times than I should. I actually plan on beating B/W2 again and trying not to start over from sheer boredom so I can actually complete the Pokedex.

Years
  • Seen Dec 2, 2013
Alot. I beat the game do all the side stuff afterwards and restart im on like my 12th playthrough of bw2

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
Years
Nowadays I barely have time to finish one playthrough of a game, let alone multiple. Because of that, the only time I restart is at the beginning if I make a colossal mistake like picking the wrong starter accidentally or something similar. When I was younger, and had more time on my hands, I'd normally restart older games as soon as I'd finished them just to go through the joys of playing them again. I've probably started my Blue version more times than I can count! :D

Back