• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Super Starter Pokémon Club!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Legendary Silke

[I][B]You like dragons?[/B][/I]
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 23, 2021
I agree with Olli on this one. Legendaries just don't work as starters. It takes the legend out of them. :/

Unless we work the story out so that it fits in perfectly? A non-standard story, to be sure... Maybe it's spin-off time. :P

Olli

I am still bathing in a summer's afterglow
Years
Well messing with the stats would essentially change the Pokemon, since it'd kinda have to follow those stats in all other games that way, otherwise it'd be set as a different Pokemon I guess. Although I agree that it would fit in with a spin-off, since they're about the only games where Pokemon don't use the same stats as in the main series, with the exception of a few. But as I also said in my previous post, spin-off's don't usually have starters, and center more around either humans or Pokemon as a main character. The only Spin-off I can recall where you're able to choose between starters would be PMD, which I've never actually played, so I can't say much for it, although I'm assuming Cosmotone is right about it. So yeah, I just don't think a Pokemon like Victini would work as a starter, even if it has the design for it, although it could be fun to have a game where the starters were Shaymin, Victini and Manaphy, since they're all small cute Pokemon, and they cover all of the typings, except they don't have 3 stage evolutions. But it'd still fit :p

Years
In addition to what Olli has said, who wants a starter that doesn't evolve? It would be kinda boring raising a Poke from level 5, and never having it evolve (I know I get excited when something evolves, unless its evolution is ugly or something of that effect)
Also, why can't GameFreak pull a sly one, and play with the stats of the starter version of Victini? Or maybe they could make a form of Victini that's stats aren't as good.

Years
  • Seen Jan 27, 2014
I don't really agree with that. Victini doesn't sound like a Pokemon that should even have a form. Nor would I agree on lowering Victini's statistics only for one kind of Victini per game. What I can consider fine with doing these currently discussed here "Legendary Starters" would be to NOT get it from the professor. It would sound strange to get a legendary Pokemon from such a person, won't it? Maybe do it with a story that requires Ranger skills (effectively bringing up Pokemon Ranger)? So, a Ranger states of three Legendary Pokemon being enraged in some location, and the player + his/her friends/future rivals would go there. There, they make a deal as to which person catches which Legendary Pokemon, as a change for choosing the starters like what we have right now. Then, we capture it in the same way Rangers do it. Then, it becomes our starter Pokemon and we continue our adventure normally. And make its opponents fully evolved and being double or even more in level for any part of the game in return + upping the difficulty of the AI to be the same as the Champion. That would sound right, upping the difficulty of the enemies in return for getting a legendary starter.

RoreyG

Lizardon Man
Years
Hi, I'd like to join this club:

Name: RoreyG

Starter Pokémon: A Charmander named Ryuu and A Totodial named Tsunami

Why would you like to join the club?: No matter how much you might want to deny it, your Starter Pokemon will always be the most important member of your team. Its your first ever partner when you start anew and will always be your most reliable companion on your journey (honestly, you can over- grind it to high levels in the early stages of the game because, no matter what, it will always listen to you).

Onto the current topic;

Legendaries would not make good starters as you would want your starter to evolve. Pseudo- Legendaries on the other hand; I wouldn't mind if Dratini or Larvitar was a starter.

Olli

Years
I don't really agree with that. Victini doesn't sound like a Pokemon that should even have a form. Nor would I agree on lowering Victini's statistics only for one kind of Victini per game. What I can consider fine with doing these currently discussed here "Legendary Starters" would be to NOT get it from the professor. It would sound strange to get a legendary Pokemon from such a person, won't it? Maybe do it with a story that requires Ranger skills (effectively bringing up Pokemon Ranger)? So, a Ranger states of three Legendary Pokemon being enraged in some location, and the player + his/her friends/future rivals would go there. There, they make a deal as to which person catches which Legendary Pokemon, as a change for choosing the starters like what we have right now. Then, we capture it in the same way Rangers do it. Then, it becomes our starter Pokemon and we continue our adventure normally. And make its opponents fully evolved and being double or even more in level for any part of the game in return + upping the difficulty of the AI to be the same as the Champion. That would sound right, upping the difficulty of the enemies in return for getting a legendary starter.
I didn't really have any specific idea for how you were gonna get the legendary starters, and obviously it would a bit questionable if a professor was willing to give away such valuable Pokemon to new trainers :p But, despite having never played the ranger games, do really like your idea. I do know the concept of it and how you do it, but whether it would fit into a main series game is doubtful. It may either be my memory failing me or the fact that I just haven't noticed it, but I don't recall there ever being an appearance of a ranger in any of the main series games, which is why I still feel those kinds of starters would fit better into a spin-off, so it doesn't "mess up" how the usual journey goes. But then again, if that's the pattern they'll keep the games running on, I think the fanbase may start to get a little smaller, since it will eventually become boring with the same ideas over and over again. But good idea, kudos to that :D

Hi, I'd like to join this club:

Name: RoreyG

Starter Pokémon: A Charmander named Ryuu and A Totodial named Tsunami

Why would you like to join the club?: No matter how much you might want to deny it, your Starter Pokemon will always be the most important member of your team. Its your first ever partner when you start anew and will always be your most reliable companion on your journey (honestly, you can over- grind it to high levels in the early stages of the game because, no matter what, it will always listen to you).

Onto the current topic;

Legendaries would not make good starters as you would want your starter to evolve. Pseudo- Legendaries on the other hand; I wouldn't mind if Dratini or Larvitar was a starter.
First of all, welcome to the club! Hope you'll stay and remain active, and hopefully enjoy your time here. And you're definitely right that the starters will in most cases be the Pokemon that's most emotionally close to you, granted you don't dump it off into a PC box as soon as you get your hands on the first best Pokemon to use isntead of it.

Second of all, with pseudo-legendaries, the problem still persists, that they may just be too strong. The team would be horribly imbalanced if you end up using Pokemon as strong as those as your starter even, the likeliness that you'll plow through the game, granted it's of the same difficulty, would also be really high. Then again, if they limited the strong and rare Pokemon in the game though, it'd be a bit more of a challenge, or if they simply raised the difficulty, but yeah, stat-wise, those kind of Pokemon just don't really fit in.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Jan 27, 2014
Well, I guess this club's starting to drop in activity right now...so I'll just talk on that thought on top, using pLegendaries (p=psuedo)...It's true, the possibilities of becoming the champion in no time with that kind of starter is seriously existent. In truth, if they were something like cursed Pokemon, unable to evolve until post-Champion, I guess that'd work, but the storyline must be set up so it'd support that bit. Or...if you just use increased AI power, a few level boosts and a few more FE Pokemon to battle against...and taking out the powerful Pokemon, turning it a rarity, more like a mirage...and putting in more annoying and useless ones in return...for the wilderness...it'd be a very challenging game that works around the statistics of your awesome Pokemon. Now, how about something else to talk about?

Legendary Silke

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 23, 2021
If you had to choose from base form starters, which six would you want to make a team? Duplicates allowed.

TurtwigPiplupSnivyTepigOshawottCyndaquil, anyone?

Years
  • Seen Jan 27, 2014
Oh, for me...I'd have Charmander, Totodile, Treecko, Piplup, Oshawott and Mudkip, maybe? The first five are because I pretty much like them...The last one was simply a filler.

RoreyG

Lizardon Man
Years
1) Charmander (my first and best)
2) Totodial (I could count on this monster to get me through 2 regions with ease)
3) Treeko (aethetically the most appealing from the Gen 3 Starters)
4) Mudkip (speaking from experience, the most useful starter in the Hoenn games)
5) Chimchar (its final evolution is based off of Sun Wukong, how cool is that)
6) Snivy (there's a certain charm to this little guy, I just quite can't put my finger on it)

Years
  • Seen Jan 27, 2014
So, uh...now what? I guess we should use a new topic. How about we'll just hop to the basics...and talk about our favorite starter Pokemon! Nah, how about we'll talk about its fully evolved form! I guess I'll start.

My favorites would be Charizard and Sceptile. And that's pretty much it! Both of them were chosen because of their looks, they all look great in my eyes! Their attacks aren't that bad too. But in truth, you can't say that somewhere else...they'd laugh. :D Too bad...

Arcturus.

Chews nails and spits napalm
Years
My favorite starter is definitely Venasaur. And every other Grass starter to be honest. If I had to pick a non-Grass starter it would have to be Blaziken. I always thought Blaziken was the coolest Fire starter.

RoreyG

Lizardon Man
Years
Charizard, Feraligatr, Sceptile, Infernape, and Serperior.

Charizard was my first and up to this day, still my best and most reliable partner (only Fire type starter immune to Earthquake, how cool is that!!!).

Feraligatr, especially in HG/SS, I think is the most reliable and effective starter. He can get you through the Johto Gyms practically by himself and he's pretty beast.

Sceptile, unlike my Charizard and Feraligatr, I choose for purely aesthetic reasons. I personally think that its the coolest looking Hoenn starter.

Infernape, after Charizard and Feraligatr, Was probably my most useful starter.He was just so beastly.

Serperior, again for aesthetic purposes. I honestly have no idea why I like this guy, I guess the Snake charmed me.

Years
Geez I need to post here more often, I'm so busy...

Oh well, time to answer the topic.

My fave fully-evolved starters from every generation would be...

Gen 1 - Venusaur: There's something I like about its design, presumably the giant flower on it and it's such a beast on sun-based teams.

Gen 2 - Meganium: While Cyndaquil is my fave base-form Johto starter, the fully-evolved title would have to go to adorable Meganium. I love how cute its appearance is, and like Venusaur, I like its flower as well.

Gen 3 - Blaziken: This guy is badass at its best, a fiery kicking chicken that holds the dubious honor of being the only starter banned to the Ubers. Speed Boost can make him really deadly, which is why he became Uber.

Gen 4 - Empoleon/Infernape: I couldn't decide between these two so I went with both of them, I love Infernape due to my love of monkeys and I love Empoleon's design being based on Napoleon Bonaparte. I have to say Sinnoh's starters have good looks imo.

Gen 5 - Samurott: I love the whole samurai theme going on with the Oshawott line, and Samurott has the badass-like looks and the fact it uses blades hidden in its legs as swords not to mention Razor Shell is one of my fave moves. My fave starter to date.

So yes, I have 2 faves of every type. Pretty balanced.

Legendary Silke

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 23, 2021
As for me, it'd be something like...

Uh, Blastoise, Feraligatr, Swampert, Torterra, and... Serperior?

Olli

Years
What is your favourite fully evolved starter from every gen?

Kanto: Uh, this one is kinda hard, since it seems to be a split choice between Charizard and Venusaur. Blastoise can already definitely be ruled out, since I've never really actually used the Squirtle line except for in some of my first playthroughs, when I thought Rock was strong against both Fire and Grass for some reason, and though Squirtle would be the best choice. But for some reason I switched to liking Charmander's line much better, even though it was a pain in the everloving behind to start out with, but it seems like I managed. So to say, during my entire first half of playing any first generation games, my starter was always Charmander, mainly because I thought Charmander and all its evolutions were super awesome, which obviously means I must've also liked Charizard a lot. But then, in the entire other half of my time playing first gen games, which includes the current time, even though I don't really play the first generation games much anymore, the Bulbasaur line has been my favourite. Why? Because I'm a totally lazy bumarse that just wanted to make my way through the games as quickly as possibly with type advantages and a minimum amount of grinding, which kinda diminished the whole experience of playing the games, since grinding, no matter how boring it is, is kind of what shapes us into the trainers we become, and a really important factor in the whole training process. You can look at a Pokemon and say "I grinded that to level 100!" and feel like the time you've spent haven't actually been in vain, but rather has been spent to shape the Pokemon into what it is, only through your sheer dedication (or being forced to it is also a possibility). I'm getting a bit off-topic, but the answer was simply, Venusaur 'cause lazy.

Johto: I lllllloooooooooooovvvvveeeeeeee Johto starters. Like seriously, I love them. Except for Chikorita, that one's a total nub. But anyways, this generation is also a tie, although a kinda weak tie on the one half, between two of the starters, although this time it's between a Fire and a Water type. Yeah, I can already go ahead and say announce that Typhlosion is most definitely my favourite here, just due to all the moments I've had with it, and due to how awesome the entire line is. I definitely love its cute little design, and I feel like the second generation had some of the best starter designs of them all, specifically Totodile, who's really colourful. But yeah, I do share some good memories with Totodile, which is why it's closely rivaling Cyndaquil to the top, however I do just love the Cyndaquil line just those few percent more, which is why Typhlosion would win this one.

Hoenn
Once again a tie, and the last of the element ties possible. It's between Sceptile and Swampert, being close rivals to being my favourite here, leaving Blaziken in the dark. And Blaziken shouldn't cry, because it's ugly as I don't even know what, and it already has so many fans, my little opinion shouldn't mean anything to it. In any case, it's between Sceptile and Swampert. Sceptile is mainly because it's probably the cooles of the three and the one with the best design, as well as it has helped me out quite a lot in my few playthroughs of the third generation games. It was the first one I used, and one that will remain close to me for all eternity. Close by it though is Swampert, whom I mainly like because i liek mudkipz. I mean seriously, that little creature is adorable, which is why I initially started to use it, however the reason I'm still using it is due to how OP Swampert is, and how well it rivals even the Pseudo-legendaries in strength. Definitely also a favourite.

Sinnoh: This generation didn't actually include a tie, and goes directly to Infernape. The main reason I used him the first time around, was because during my first playthrough of the region, it was bloody impossible to find any decent Fire type Pokemon, and the only one available pre-league was Ponyta/Rapidash, and no good comes from that line. And as I love my fire types, I tried out the Chimchar line to see if it was any good. And oh was it any good, no, it was amazing. I loved the Fire/Fighting typing, and even though it was in the previous generation too, this time the typing was actually on a Pokemon that looked decent enough. But it was a beast, helping me through so many battles, has always been my primary Pokemon for any team I've used with it on, and continues to be my all-time favourite of that region.

Unova: N/A

Synerjee

[font=Itim]Atra du evarinya ono varda.[/font]
Years
I'm going to have to decide between two for each region. Here goes..

Kanto: Charizard or Blastoise.....Charizard.
Johto: Feraligatr or Typhlosion.....Typhlosion.
Hoenn: Swampert or Blaziken.....Swampert.
Sinnoh: Infernape or Empoleon.....Infernape.
Unova: Samurott or Serperior.....Serperior.

This list is based purely on looks and not by usage. It was quite a tough decision to make..for most of them, I simply like both so I really can't say. Decisions are not what I do well..so yea.

Oh, based on usage? This should be easier.

Blastoise. Typhlosion. Swampert. Empoleon. Samurott. :)

RoreyG

Lizardon Man
Years
Hmmmmmmmm........How about a new topic.

What's the best in game moveset that you've ever had for a starter?

Mine would be in Fire Red where my Charizard had:

Blast Burn
Flamethrower
Dragon Claw
Earthquake

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back