• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do Fakemon enhance the experience of Pokemon hacks?

Years
  • Seen Aug 8, 2016
I find fakemon to be quite awesome and act as an incentive to join the world of pokemon once again. The one thing I don't like is when the whole dex is filled with fakemon, but when a few fakemon are added here and there it helps add to the world that the rom hacker created.

«Chuckles»

Sharky
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Apr 29, 2023
I believe Fakemon are always good if they are designed well and form a quick glance I can make an assumption about its move pool and its type, I don't mind if their are new legionaries because that to me makes me feel like its a completely new Pokemon but only if it is integrated with the story well and the plot is good to focus around it.

Ivee

Ask me about Trailblazer :3
Years
  • Seen May 22, 2019
I'm always for Fakemon BUT most people seem to be focusing on design. I find that, to make convincing Fakemon, you need extreme dedication and fantastic attention to detail. For example, you need to not only make front and back sprites, but also party icons. If you want to go even further, you need to change (or delete) footprints, either enter new cries or make sure the Fakemon's cry lines up with whoever it's replacing, change their sizes, maybe even change how much experience they give. THEN, not only do they get new movesets, you have to balance the moves. For example, making sure there's always atleast one level 1 move so the Pokemon aren't stuck only with Struggle (I see this happen a lot with evolved Fakemon/inserted Pokemon), make sure they still have good moves if caught at a high level in the wild, make sure the Pokemon don't learn moves that are too strong too early and vice versa. AND make sure that they learn TMs and HMs that make sense, this step is very easy to overlook, and can become problematic if you change TMs. Oh, and don't forget to change stats and abilities so they're not just clones of the Pokemon they're replacing!

Really, this is why it's way easier to have Fakemon in fangames instead of hacks, haha. But if people can accomplish all (or most) of these essentials in a Fakemon hack, I think they deserve support and not have so many people brush them off because they hate Fakemon.

ROBO-BOY

The Monkey Man
Years
I feel Fakemon are hit or miss. Sure, you don't know their stats and types until you catch one, but that adds to the challenge! It also makes you want to finish the PokeDex. But, like Pokemon Black and White, it's not a good idea to get rid of the classics. Keep some in the Regional Dex. They also have to look good and make sense of their typing.

Shiny Quagsire

I'm Still Alive, Elsewhere
Years
I only enjoy Fakemon if I feel that they fit in well with the previous generation Pokemon sprite-wise. For example, if you were able to make a preevolution to Pincer that actually looked like it was meant to be in the game, then you did a good job making it. If it looks like a piece of crap or the shading style makes it look awkward when placed with other Pokemon, then it's a no-go.

Years
  • Seen Jan 30, 2016
I often like Fakemon, as long as there's still plenty of the originals too. I mean, I'm playing a ROM hack - I'm looking for a fan's take on the franchise, and Fakemon are part of that. And who hasn't dreamed up some Fakemon at some point? I do lament that the Fakemon sprites often seem just a little off - they just look like a subtly different artistic style, and it can break my immersion.

...It's actually something I'm thinking about a fair bit, because I'm working on a ROM hack (my first!) that includes Fakemon as the central plot element. Like Mewtwo and Genesect, we've got an evil team creating new Pokemon to have stronger battlers. The whole hack falls apart without Fakemon, in this case.

Darkrai666

ThatscaryFreakyguywhoisDa rkrai
Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Dec 21, 2014
Some People say fakemon Ruin The hack whereas some people say it makes the game way more EPIC Unless the story is good I dont think Fakemon Are apreciated..It also Depends on the sprites Lets take a example shall we?
POKEMON ruby destiny Life of Guardians
It has a epic Story and Its full of fakemon..Some are epic some aren't..Like there's one called furruny..I mean seriously? That's just a zigzagoon with Bad Pixels But then There's Gabrellon These are epic so It depends on How good your sprites are and Your Fakemon Story Pokedex entry and so on

Years
  • Seen Jul 14, 2020
I love seeing fakemon in games.

It's such a thrill playing a game and finding a random Pokemon that you have never seen before.
You have no idea if it evolves, what moves it learns. It makes me feel like i'm playing a game for the first time again. I personally really enjoy fakemon. I like a mix between fakemon and pokemon.

marcc5m

what
Years
Fakemon make or break a hack.

If you're going to add Fakemon to your hack, you have to be extremely committed, as it takes a long time to come up with original ideas and sprite them, then come up with stats, movesets etc, and you also have to be a very good spriter.

Take a look at Sienna, the Fakemon are well sprited, they're unique, some of the designs are a bit goofy but a lot of them are really believable.

Personally I really enjoy having Fakemon in a hack, simply because I'm playing a fake game.
I don't want to see the same crap I can see in any Pokemon game, when I battle a gym leader and they send out their Doughnutmon, I want to be like "what the hell is that thing, and how can I beat it?".

Telinc1

Weirdo Extraordinaire
Years
I, personally, have mixed feelings about Fakemon. If they're well designed and unique (random example, a Water/Flying type turtle with wings) with balanced base stats and movepools that may be used in a normal Pokémon game, then, yes, I really like them. Bad thing about Fakemon is that sometimes they are either very bad ideas or they have such non-balanced stats that they don't really seem like actual Pokémon that I would use.

Even though I don't really look at sprites that much, if they're something as ugly as a mixture of Mewtwo, Eevee and Unown I would seriously just close out of the emulator and play something else.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 14, 2014
i say that fakemons r cool seeing how the creator put some time and thoght to them it just goves someone this creative feeling

Orifiel

Priestess
Years
No, definitely not.
I think even how good they look, I think they're crap.
I don't like it. So, no no no no. Original ones, stay stay stay.

Years
I think Fakemon can add and detract from the experience in the same way that the actual Pokemon can, and for me it mostly it depends on the look of the Pokemon. If the fakemon looks thrown together and utterly just bad then it will make the game look and feel worse and i will end up giving up on it. However, if the fakemon looks like it could be a actual Pokemon then i feel it adds a lot to the game, due to what people have said you will want to catch it and see what it can do or work out how to beat it.

Back