• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen An introduction of new types...?

Sweets Witch

I just love ham jerky.
Years
A new type would be irrational at this point in Pokemon's history. The edits to the type chart as well as the movepools and typing of previous Pokemon would be much too large of a change. It would take away from the visual and gameplay enhancements that the games would otherwise be trying to showcase. The goal for X and Y is to move up, not out.

Boilurn

Scald Pokémon
Years
Hmm... It's not very likely that we'll be having a new type, even though there's lots of speculation about the Light-type being introduced. The type that I was thinking of is the Glass-type. It's quite similar to the Ice-type though, getting hit supereffectively by Rock and Fighting-type moves, but it doesn't have a fire-type weakness.

pokemanmdj

Random Passerby
Years
  • Seen Jul 16, 2016
I agree with Sweets Witch. Adding in a new type would be irrational.

How many older pokemon would get this typing? What if only some Gen VI Pokemon had it, and no one else?
I mean, I've contemplated about a Light type before, and how it could be Dark's counter part type- or something of the sort. But adding it in now- I don't think it would work out very well. :/

ppooookkkkkkk

Banned
Years
Oh, Live.

But yeah, Light doesn't work either in the sense of actual light (Psychic, Fire, Electric, and some moves of other types cover this already) or in the sense of "goodness" since Fighting sort of covers this as a type (in the sense of fighting fairly), Pokemon have a happiness level, and in general Pokemon is already a kind of default "good" when they've bonded with their trainer. How can you get more good than good?

It doesn't mean if they make a "Light" it has too be on the good side.
Ithink the Light type moves will not make much damage at all. Since light only hurts the eyes (A refrence of the move Flash).

Nor types like Glass, Crytal, Beast, would suit or make sense.

The only logical types in my mind are Sound and Cosmic/Space types.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years
I see fighting as Pokémon's version of the light type, conquering Darkness. Psychic is more like the human mind, as shown by it's weaknesses to Dark,Bug, and Ghost, all of which terrify most humans at some point.

Anywho if they make a new type I'm hoping it's sound...and light. Crystal would be nice. Also to all who are saying no light as Psychic or fighting already covers it they could still make it as GF did make two types to represent earth, or three for those who consider plants (grass in this case) as part of earth.

François2

#FutureSun&MoonMod
Years
You know, in a way I'd almost like the Light type to be introduced, just so this discussion wouldn't happen with every single generation.

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
Years
Please no. Not a Light type which beats Dark. Dark already has enough weaknesses against widely used Pokémon. It has few weaknesses but when paired with other types it seems the amount of weaknesses is much larger.

The problem in 1st gen was that nothing resisted Psychic, apart from itself. So they created a type which is not only immune to Psychic, but it also super-effective against it. The other new type also resisted Psychic.

Nowadays there isn't a type which is overpowered against the other. Poison, for example, is horrible offensively, but it has very good resistances and it can't be poisoned. Even more so with Steel, it sucks as an offensive type, but it's the best defensive type in the game. Meanwhile, Ice is one of the best types offensively, but it only resists itself. Dragon is neutral against most types, but it's only super-effective against itself. Grass is poor offensively, but many disrupting moves are Grass-type.

What Gamefreak can do to balance types is to introduce more Pokémon to counter a dominant type. For example, there's an abundance of Fighting and Steel-types in OU, so let's create more Psychic, Flying, or Fire Pokémon, preferably with strong stats and abilities. If Stealth Rock is a problem, nerf it so that it's no longer dependant on type matchup, or reduce its damage output.

I think most of the stuff in the type chart makes sense and back in 1999 they must've had major brainstorming sessions to come up with what we have now.

If, and it's a BIG if, they added new types, they wouldn't add them to old Pokémon. Back in 2nd gen the only Pokémon from 1st gen which changed types was Magnemite/Magneton. No Pokémon from 1st gen gained the Dark type. So it's definitely not necessary that old Pokémon change types. Magnemite was a very rare case of Gamefreak retconning a Pokémon. Tradition says that, once a Pokémon is created, its stats won't change, neither will its type. Further balancing is done via additional moves and abilities.

Last edited:
Years
I see it as a definite possibility. They've done it before. What's stopping them from doing it again?
Light, Cosmic and Sound types appeal to me.

Venzeron

Canine Pokemon Master
Years
As many people have debated before on this,there may be a chance of getting the Light type.
i was thinking of a light type, but that would be slightly difficult to integrate with the ghost-fighting-dark-psychich cycle, don't you think?

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
I see it as a definite possibility. They've done it before. What's stopping them from doing it again?

Cosmic aka space mons? Hmmm you'd have Lunatone, Solrock... Kyurem, um, Chimecho...? idk, but I don't know whether cosmic would be really all that different from psychic, and even closer to it than Light would, imo.

Platinum Lucario

The Legendary Master of [color=#D8D48C]Light[/colo
Years
Some people have been saying that Psychic and Fighting is identical to Light, but in my opinion... it doesn't feel like that unfortunately. 'Cause I feel that Psychic-type was based on "Kinetic Energy Power", which has nothing to do with Light at all. Thinking of what the move Psybeam is about... it seems that it's about using some kinetic energy beam at the opponent, which again... kinetic energy doesn't mean that it's based on Light. Same goes for Fighting-type in how it is unable to effect Ghost-types, "Fighting-type" comes from real Fighting, not as in "Fighting for Good"... it's about actual Fighting, so it can either be good or bad, which again I feel has nothing to do with Light.

Either way, the only moves that would enable other moves to be Super Effective against a Ghost/Dark-type in Generation IV and onwards, is to either use the moves Foresight/Odor Sleuth (to remove the immunity for Ghost-types have against Normal or Fighting types) or Miracle Eye (to remove the Dark-types' immunity to Psychic-types, then use the move that is Super Effective respectively, but it still costs two turns to do so. :P

Unless there is a new type to counter the immunity that Ghost/Dark-types have, probably not gonna be possible to take down a Ghost/Dark Pokémon in one hit unless the Pokémon is at a higher level than the opponent's Pokémon to do so, or uses a powerful enough move... which at the same time, would indeed have to be either near the opponent's Pokémon level or higher.

But having said that, the Dark/Ghost-type does indeed show that the type chart is still unbalanced. Some of us might be thinking that a new type may make the type chart unbalanced, but I believe that if they introduce one Light-type it may actually fix the type chart. I would recommend having a think about it and reading up about the types before making your final decision about whenever there should be a new type or not. Since we all have our own opinions, and that's fine, I respect them. ^^

As far as I know, Psychic-type was immune to Ghost-type moves in Generation I, but this was fixed in Generation II when they made Psychic-type weak against Ghost-type moves, which kind of balanced it out a bit. The Dark and Steel types were more to balance out the over-powerful Psychic-type and the underused Fighting-type. But this does kind of raise the question of "How would it have been if there wasn't a Dark-type or Steel-type, but had the same weaknesses and resistances as Generation II?". It quite possibly would've been interesting to know what it could've been like. xD

But if Light-type was introduced, I would be expecting weaknesses and resistances to be somewhat more like this:
Weak against: Fighting ('cause anything fighting can be good or bad), Grass (because plants photosynthesize light) and Normal ('cause anything Normal takes in sunlight, but can harmed in some way due to the UV, as opposed to other types)
Strong against: Dark (light lights up a dark area), Ghost (don't like places with light) and Dragon (most live in caverns, not used to light)
Immune against: Dark (because dark energy can't blot out light)
Can't damage: Fire ('cause light can't do anything to a fire)

Giving Normal-type a type that it would be strong against would surely make things more balanced. Since Normal-type doesn't even have a type that it's strong against yet.

I think Cosmic-type is pretty much Psychic-type as it is. 'Cause it still represents the same thing: kinetic energy! :P

Seth Rollins

Holding on to You |-/
Years
  • Age 22
  • Nah
  • Seen Feb 28, 2017
I'd love to see a Honey type, to all the bees lol. But...if they have dark, why they don't have light? Kidding lol. Electric is identical to light, so they don't need a light type.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
I'd love to see a Honey type, to all the bees lol. But...if they have dark, why they don't have light? Kidding lol. Electric is identical to light, so they don't need a light type.

But a honey type would only involve like, 5 mons. It's not big enough to really need a whole type dedicated to those. Maybe something more common (such as FROGS apparently) but bees aren't really common. :x

Years
  • Seen Jan 13, 2014
But a honey type would only involve like, 5 mons. It's not big enough to really need a whole type dedicated to those. Maybe something more common (such as FROGS apparently) but bees aren't really common. :x

I find those two ideas just weird... You have all of these types, then you have honey type and frog type... >.< If there would be new types, then they should be Plasma(Y) and Light(X). I wouldn't like them adding new types. To complicated.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
I find those two ideas just weird... You have all of these types, then you have honey type and frog type... >.< If there would be new types, then they should be Plasma(Y) and Light(X). I wouldn't like them adding new types. To complicated.

Oh no I wasn't in support of the frog type, I was just using that as an example of something... a tiny bit more likely but still very, very unlikely. XD;

But Plasma could be interesting, however its actual purpose would be hard to pinpoint imo that isn't already covered what we have now. Plus it would be more appropriate in Unova really and not here. :(

François2

#FutureSun&MoonMod
Years
What I wonder about the proposed 'Cosmic' type is whether we're talking about pokémon that utilise stuff from space (Cosmic Power, Draco Meteor, etc) or just pokémon that come from space. If it's the latter then it just seems a bit pointless - why would you give a pokémon a type based on where they come from?

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
Years
True, they probably wouldn't make types based on a pokemon's habitat or would they came from. That, and they wouldn't make types based on a pokemon's egg group or classification in say, a pokedex. Nothing specific like that. Eh, if anything, I'd see a possible 'cosmo' type to be like, a celestial type, but again, they sound closely familiar to psychic types imo.

Years
We don't really need a Plasma type since we already have Fire- and Electric-types. I think that would be an even greater overlap than Rock and Ground. I mean, what would be the difference?

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
Years
Some people have been saying that Psychic and Fighting is identical to Light, but in my opinion... it doesn't feel like that unfortunately. 'Cause I feel that Psychic-type was based on "Kinetic Energy Power", which has nothing to do with Light at all. Thinking of what the move Psybeam is about... it seems that it's about using some kinetic energy beam at the opponent, which again... kinetic energy doesn't mean that it's based on Light. Same goes for Fighting-type in how it is unable to effect Ghost-types, "Fighting-type" comes from real Fighting, not as in "Fighting for Good"... it's about actual Fighting, so it can either be good or bad, which again I feel has nothing to do with Light.

Either way, the only moves that would enable other moves to be Super Effective against a Ghost/Dark-type in Generation IV and onwards, is to either use the moves Foresight/Odor Sleuth (to remove the immunity for Ghost-types have against Normal or Fighting types) or Miracle Eye (to remove the Dark-types' immunity to Psychic-types, then use the move that is Super Effective respectively, but it still costs two turns to do so. :P

Unless there is a new type to counter the immunity that Ghost/Dark-types have, probably not gonna be possible to take down a Ghost/Dark Pokémon in one hit unless the Pokémon is at a higher level than the opponent's Pokémon to do so, or uses a powerful enough move... which at the same time, would indeed have to be either near the opponent's Pokémon level or higher.

But having said that, the Dark/Ghost-type does indeed show that the type chart is still unbalanced. Some of us might be thinking that a new type may make the type chart unbalanced, but I believe that if they introduce one Light-type it may actually fix the type chart. I would recommend having a think about it and reading up about the types before making your final decision about whenever there should be a new type or not. Since we all have our own opinions, and that's fine, I respect them. ^^

As far as I know, Psychic-type was immune to Ghost-type moves in Generation I, but this was fixed in Generation II when they made Psychic-type weak against Ghost-type moves, which kind of balanced it out a bit. The Dark and Steel types were more to balance out the over-powerful Psychic-type and the underused Fighting-type. But this does kind of raise the question of "How would it have been if there wasn't a Dark-type or Steel-type, but had the same weaknesses and resistances as Generation II?". It quite possibly would've been interesting to know what it could've been like. xD

But if Light-type was introduced, I would be expecting weaknesses and resistances to be somewhat more like this:
Weak against: Fighting ('cause anything fighting can be good or bad), Grass (because plants photosynthesize light) and Normal ('cause anything Normal takes in sunlight, but can harmed in some way due to the UV, as opposed to other types)
Strong against: Dark (light lights up a dark area), Ghost (don't like places with light) and Dragon (most live in caverns, not used to light)
Immune against: Dark (because dark energy can't blot out light)
Can't damage: Fire ('cause light can't do anything to a fire)

Giving Normal-type a type that it would be strong against would surely make things more balanced. Since Normal-type doesn't even have a type that it's strong against yet.

I think Cosmic-type is pretty much Psychic-type as it is. 'Cause it still represents the same thing: kinetic energy! :P

I completely disagree, the whole point of Dark/Ghost is to have no weaknesses, that's why they created Pokémon with this combination in the first place. Besides, both Pokémon with that type aren't very stellar anyway, Spiritomb is usable but Sableye is quite weak.

Normal-type was never supposed to have advantage against other types, it's "normal" meaning it has no special qualities, therefore it can't damage anything super-effectively. It can be walled, though, because ordinary hits can't do much against Rock and Steel-types, and can't do anything against Ghosts. And usually Normal-types are fairly resourceful and learn tons of moves, so it's not like they can't damage anything super-effectively.

A Light type that was strong against Dark would add one weakness to pretty much all Dark-types in the game, it would make things way unbalanced since Pokémon like Tyranitar, Weavile and Krookodile, which already have tons of weaknesses, would gain one more and become harder to use effectively. There's no need to nerf the Dark-type, it's already tough to use effectively because 5th gen introduced many powerful Fighting-types as well as an ability which blocks Dark-type moves (Justified). Weakness against Fighting would make Fighting-types even more powerful than they are. It would break the game.

Back