• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokémon: Shadow of the Wastes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iluminknight

Crunch! Add it to the heap!
Years
The screenshots look really REALLY impressive. I'm definitley very hyped for any upcoming beta. I'm rather unhappy with some of my older work so I will try to send you a good chunk of like 10 midis to use that I think fit the atmosphere a bit better. :)

-Keep in mind this might take me a while lol.

Iluminknight

Years
So I'm still hard at work on the soundtrack lol. I guess I was too stupid and didnt realize that you needed a good sounding midi, not mp3...so that's a big step backwards for me. But expect a decent bundle of pokemon-esque themes for the stuff in the screenshots.

I really cant wait a for a beta of any kind though. The screenshots look AMAZING. Keep in touch :)

Kaylee Krysteenah Fynch

is rarely here
Years
Okay, thanks, Illuminknight. I eagerly await it! I hope you don't mind if I don't always use the music as you intended it; I do that with music I write, too - I write it for one thing, but then realize it would go better somewhere else. I don't know if it will be an issue, but in case it is... It's good to have freedom in my work, you know?

I should send you mapshots, but, mapping tends to take a while. I believe I mentioned that I've got two maps more-or-less done, and am working on another. Oh, hey... I don't remember if I asked, but could you do a Gym theme? Either a remix or a new piece, for the Mini-Gyms. I'll need music for the Great-Gyms too, but that one (or those ones) should be completely new. I'm not in a rush for any of this, so there's no need to feel stressed.

Just so everyone knows, I've been working off and on, but I've been somewhat depressed recently, so I haven't been feeling like working as much. It's just something that will happen to me occasionally, though, I think, and nothing you'll have to worry about in the long run.

Okay. And thanks again to everybody who supports the project! ^^

Iluminknight

Years
Oh yah, feel free to use them at your discretion. Put them in whatever area you think fits em best. A gym theme I could definitley do, I'll try that out. I found a great place to get pokemon midis so that shouldn't be too hard. I sent you all the midis that I wrote so far that turned out well enough to your email. So feel free to check them out. This time they're midis not mp3s haha. Cant wait to see more screenshots though. It looks amazing so far.

xShigure

Pokémon Bushido Director
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jan 27, 2010
I agree with everyone else, this looks exciting.
I can't wait to walk around with an Umbreon :3
fyi UMBREON PWNS!

Kaylee Krysteenah Fynch

is rarely here
Years
Illuminknight - I really liked the North Road one, which was the only one I hadn't heard yet. It was a little shrill from time to time, but definitely gave a vibe that fits the desolated sort of place I envision the Wastes to be. That one and Miraou Cave... ^^ They work really well for what they're meant for. It's a shame I won't be mapping those areas for a while yet!

Looking over all these comments really does help to cheer me up when I start wondering why I'm making this game, so thank you to all of you. Sometimes I need that little boost to remind me that this is actually worthwhile, even if it takes years to finish.

I do have a big request of anybody who knows how to script with the starter kit, though. I was trying to learn RGSS, and I thought I was doing okay, until I came back to look at the scripts in Essentials and realized that Poccil made so many new variables and whatnot, that even if I become somewhat fluent in RGSS, I'd still get myself confused when I tried to apply that knowledge.

So, if somebody either would volunteer as a scripter (I don't know how much I'd need, be it a lot or a little), or would provide me with a way to learn RGSS for Essentials (that is, so I'd know more of what I'm working with), that would be a big help.

Also, volunteered scripts (that is, just sending one script) is fine, too. This is the list of scripts I need at present:
~ D/P moves and abilities
~ New Weather - Poison Mist. Could work with Defog. Should poison all non-Poison/Steel Pokemon when sent into battle. Should have a weather effect out of battle, using an image (which I would make) that ends up looking like swirling mist.
~ New tile type - Poisoned Water. Should be surfable, but should hurt the surfing Pokémon every so often.

The last two are pretty important, for the sake of making the Wastes work the way they should, and it would be nice to give the DP Pokémon their correct moves and abilities, so I'd be very grateful if someone could help! Of course, I shouldn't need to say so, but anyone who helps gets to be in the credits (after all, it's very short credits if it just says me and Illuminknight!).

But, whether you can help with that or not, thanks for showing an interest in what I'm doing. Without that, I'd doubtless decide that no matter how cool I thought it was, that it was actually useless. What good is a game if nobody plays it, after all? ^^

Last edited:

RESTART45

I make ideas you make hacks
Years
  • Seen Sep 7, 2013
if i die before i get to play this game i will haunt you in your sleep (8<

Iluminknight

Years
Thanks I appreciate it. Seems like you got a lot of work lol. I uploaded the entire soundtrack I've composed so far to youtube, I think its the first link on my signature. :)

This game is going to be amazing when it's done. I can't wait.

RESTART45

I make ideas you make hacks
Years
  • Seen Sep 7, 2013
I have a question. Is eevee/eeveelutions the only pokemon you can take for walks?

deeelove

Dradradra drama BEATZZ
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Mar 31, 2016
These screen shots loook awesome! would you mind if I make a banner?

Kaylee Krysteenah Fynch

is rarely here
Years
Anyone who wants can make a banner or userbar. I tend to use userbars in my siggy, personally, but either is fine since they're obviously not just for me! ^^

... o.O Okay, wow, I just looked at the other banners you made. By all means go ahead! I'm only sorry I don't have a picture on my computer of the new legends for you to use!

Also... currently, yes, Eevee and its 18 evolutions are the only ones walkable right now (and the fakemon evos use Eevee's OW sprites at present). I may allow some legendaries to walk with you, but I don't know. The Pokébeds I use for letting your Pokémon follow you have a lot of event pages as it is. If I figure out a better way of doing it, then we'll see (since I personally think it would be cool to walk any Pokémon you want... but there are some things I wouldn't know how to do just yet - and I have to work on an alternative to all those event pages).

Last edited:

KWolf 2K

Urban Trainer
Years
  • Seen Sep 5, 2011
were do i download? cause this game looks realy gewd
*snicker*

Anyway, allow me to speak as a critic.

- Story -
Well, it's not neccesarily original as far as fan games go, I've seen plenty that have the get-inside-before-nightfall plot synopsis. But then again, how many games have actually not fallen through? I'd like to see where this goes, and with a little more development to plot, subplots, and side quests, I'm sure this game will gain major support.
7/10

- Graphics -
I'm sorry, but speaking as a pixel/sprite art enthusiast, I can clearly see that your "style" is just tracing the Advance tileset and using gradients. Not a very appealing aesthetic quality. I hate to tell you to completely redo everything, so I won't, but a little change here and there, primarily with color choices, wouldn't hurt.
5/10

...Actually, that's all you have so far. Guess I can't criticize much else as of yet.

Iluminknight

Years
I dont think you should worry too much about being able to walk around with Pokemon. You wouldn't want the game to be mostly eye-candy :P. That can come later, you just probably want to worry about more important aspects of the game then being able to walk around with all sorts of pokemon :)

Regarding the review above, I'm personally fine with the graphics and if anything, I'm loving them. The story could maybe be a bit deeped though, with like the origin of the Miraou and where the waste land came from. Perhaps the Miraou are some kind of failed experiment by some sinister scientist? Are you able to catch them, if not, why? Why do they only come out at night? Stuff like that makes it really interesting because you can make it sort of a mystery at the beginning of the game while you slowly piece it together. You can really take it whatever direction you want, but either way I'm excited.

On a completley different note, how is my music working out in the romhack? Am I allowed to use different soundfonts than the game uses? Does the game take any midi file?

Best of luck on the romhack, Happy Holidays. And I cant wait to see more updates :D

Kaylee Krysteenah Fynch

is rarely here
Years
Okay, hi everybody, and sorry I was away! Now to answer to some of what I missed.

First I'll answer to the storyline issue.

I have the core of the story worked out, but the exact events I don't know yet. Which is exactly how I need it to be. If I know exactly what I'm going to do each step of the way, I have a tendency to get bored and discouraged much easier.

Now, I really don't discuss with others online the things I do. I don't join pixel-art clubs, I don't join story critiques or game developer groups. Not because I'm stuck up, but because I'm a bit of a loner, and am simply doing what is natural to me. So, I don't really know what others are doing.

But, as I said, I do know the core of the story, in part thanks to some talks between my sister and myself. I also have a decent amount of backstory, and that includes the Miraou - and the Anjat, which, if you remember, are closely related. Maybe I need to update the first post; I'll have to check when I'm not busy.

Purrdy, the base form of both Anjat and Miraou, never used to evolve without a trainer; when it was trained, it learned certain ways of thinking from its trainer, and eventually evolved. The land's unbalance is what caused Purrdy to begin to evolve in the wild, and the wild Anjat and Miraou are closely tied to the greater problem in the region.

I also have a backstory to the leader of Team Adauchi, but if I told that, it would spoil all of the Team's mystery, don't you think?

But, even though I know all that, waiting until I need the events in order to write them is what will keep the story alive and fresh for me; and that sense of the story - and the land - being alive are very important for my ability to make this work.

Now, about the graphics.

I don't seem to understand how there's a problem. A lot of people are just going with double-sized gameboy-style graphics, but I didn't want that. I love being able to use PNG images to allow transparency, and I really like my gradients; though I do need to fix some of them because I was using my old monitor, so the colors are too dark.

But basically - if you have a problem, I need you to be a little more specific about it. Try explaining to me what's wrong - and more importantly, the reasons why. For example, I don't know why there would be anything wrong with basing my tiles off of the starter kit tiles. Though I may adjust the coloring; like I said, it was done on my old monitor, and some during my old way of coloring.

@Illuminknight - trust me, there's plenty of backstory on the Miraou and the Wastes. And it has to do with Quamortox. And that's the end of the subject for now~

...but please to stop calling it a "romhack". The reason I moved the thread is I'm not doing it that way any more. RMXP does not involve hacking a Pokémon ROM. There's plenty of room for any instruments you desire~ ...as long as it sounds nice and epic. :D Anyway, you would call this a "fangame" now, so please to be fixing it on your YouTube descriptions when you have time. :)

And thanks for all the help! ^^

Iluminknight

Years
Well I just wanted to say that I am really sorry for calling it a romhack consistently. I really dont mean to, but it's just habit. I'll change all that immediately and sorry again. I still have no idea how you're making the fangame ._.

So the midis I gave you DO work with the fangame? That's fantastic, I just wasn't sure if it took some special kind of midi because well I have no idea how you're doing this :P.

Whether or not its magic, I'll get back to work with the soundtrack. I'd really love to see a video or something on your youtube account though, showing some quirks so far. Since I'm getting significantly more popular on youtube now than I was before, I'll be able to stir up a lot more attention to the fangame whenever you need it. I'm sure a lot of people would like to see just a quick video even if it doesn't show much, anything at all is impressive. :) Of course whenever you have the time, not to rush you or anything.

PS: The backstory sounds very interesting so far, no need to spoil it by any means. I was just throwing out ideas in case you needed them, but clearly you dont :P. I've made games before so I know just how important it is to make up the story as you go along, so go for it. Happy 2010 haha.

Last edited:

Kaylee Krysteenah Fynch

is rarely here
Years
Well, I'd make a video, yes I would, but... that female overworld is just so frustrating, that I keep putting it off, haha. Not to mention I just got mystery dungeon sky recently. *shiftyeyes* Um. Well.

I just know I'd get crud for my stand in, since it's a half-finished sprite. Not to mention that I use the questionmark sprite to stand in for the new Pokémon and some trainers in battle - but I'll just try to aviod those when I do a video. Kind of hard to avoid your own overworld sprite, though, and I don't want to switch back to the Crystal sprite, really...

Thanks for offering to help get some spotlight for the game, though! I'll be glad to take you up on it... once I can figure out what the #@*$ to do with that overworld. DX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back