• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

The NEW gangnam style

Umbreon3055

Umbreon Catcher
Years
  • Seen May 5, 2013
Okay everyone, I'm not that active on here but I thought I had to pass this on. I predict this song will become the new gangnam style. It is sung by an Indian man and he is singing about a fish. It is very similar to gangnam style, video isn't as good though

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=G_miGclPFGs

Her

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 14, 2024
I literally just saw a segment on the news about this like two minutes ago lmao

Nope, wouldn't even bother with saying that this is the 'new' gangnam style. Gangnam style was the new macarena, it's catchy, it has it's own dance moves, it can't be repeated by such a tacky imitation so quickly. Gangnam style was tacky, but intentionally tacky, it was fun and exciting, this song/video....no, it's just horrific. I wouldn't even bother calling it the new anything, unless the title was 'the new tacky song trying to ride off the wave of another popular song'.

Keiran

[b]Rock Solid[/b]
Years
They're only similar because they're tacky and bad, so if that's what you mean by "next Gangnam Style" I guess I agree. Except, this doesn't have a quirky dance to justify peoples enjoyment of the song.

I really hope this doesn't start a trend of people trying to force intentionally ostentatious music videos into major popularity to fill the void Gangnam Style left them with that didn't exist before and should go back to where it came from.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023
... what did i just watch... This is like watching your racist uncle singing a drunken slur at a karaoke night lmao. I can tell you one thing, I certainly hope this isn't the new Gangnam style. At least with Gangnam style the song was catchy and it had a fun dance to copy, but I really can't see this song catching on in the same way. The 13,166,804 views so far has somewhat amazed me since I'm finding it hard to see why anyone would watch this video twice, but maybe it's more just a case of "Hey guys, look at this video omg." haha. But yeah, overall I'm not a fan and I really don't think this'll become anything like a 'new Gangnam style', or god have mercy on us all. </3

Umbreon3055

Umbreon Catcher
Years
  • Seen May 5, 2013
They're only similar because they're tacky and bad, so if that's what you mean by "next Gangnam Style" I guess I agree. Except, this doesn't have a quirky dance to justify peoples enjoyment of the song.

I really hope this doesn't start a trend of people trying to force intentionally ostentatious music videos into major popularity to fill the void Gangnam Style left them with that didn't exist before and should go back to where it came from.

That's pretty much exactly what I mean

Years
It doesn't have the production values it would need to be the next anything.

The impression I get from this is that it's unintentionally bad. Not parody or satire or anything like that.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023
It doesn't have the production values it would need to be the next anything.

The impression I get from this is that it's unintentionally bad. Not parody or satire or anything like that.

If that's true then I'm seriously worried about the mental health of a man who can come up with the lyrics:

"Have a, have a look, One Pound Fish
Very Very good, One Pound Fish
Very Very Cheap, One Pound Fish
Six for Five Pound, One Pound Fish
"​

as a serious song haha. I really do hope for his sake that it's satire. D:

Years
If that's true then I'm seriously worried about the mental health of a man who can come up with the lyrics:

"​

Ha, yes, I didn't mean I thought he was trying to create Shakespeare, but just something catchy and fun and silly and I don't think the song accomplished any of those things.

mikey

Discord Lead
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen yesterday
This video looks homemade in a way haha. This is horrible. I mean, I got a good laugh at it, but because of how bad it is. Gangnam Style at least is catchy and done well. It has good dancing. This is just... well I hope it doesnt become popular because I will seriously start doubting the human race and its taste in music.

Years
  • Seen Apr 2, 2023

"​

You do know the story behind those lyrics right? He was literally a fishmonger who used that as a jingle to attract customers to his products, that's what he was known for before any of this began. Some record producer saw videos of it on YouTube and thought it would be a cheap way to cash in on the trend of goofball songs...which is pretty much what happened. Over 10 million views, this thing more than accomplished what it was trying to do and probably made back any money spent on it a couple hundred times over.

I'll be the odd man out and say that I think this video and song's got an amusing charm to it. I never really liked Gangnam Style, but this song's hilarious and I can find myself humming along to the tune at random points throughout the day. And I like the story of this guy moving from Pakistan to England to work and save money for his wife and kids, so it's hard for me to be super critical of what is essentially a feel good story.

I'm sorry but both of them are just plain stupid. That's not music.
Maybe not by your esoteric definition, but yeah, this is music. Perhaps not incredibly good music, but music nonetheless.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023
You do know the story behind those lyrics right? He was literally a fishmonger who used that as a jingle to attract customers to his products, that's what he was known for before any of this began. Some record producer saw videos of it on YouTube and thought it would be a cheap way to cash in on the trend of goofball songs...which is pretty much what happened. Over 10 million views, this thing more than accomplished what it was trying to do and probably made back any money spent on it a couple hundred times over.

Nope, had no idea about that! It's certainly an interesting background but it doesn't change anything in my mind. Just because there's a story like that behind the lyrics doesn't make them any more appealing to me personally, but I expect I'm in the minority here. I think it's more just that I don't really get on well with these kind of songs since they seem kind of... pointless? I dunno, I just don't want to hear a guy singing about a fish sale for three minutes even if there is a story/history behind the song. I get that it's not meant to be a serious song by any means, but I think that's probably the main reason it doesn't appeal to me lol. At least with Psy there was a catch tune to it and a dance for clubs etc, but with this song... I just can't get on with it haha.

Years
Maybe not by your esoteric definition, but yeah, this is music. Perhaps not incredibly good music, but music nonetheless.

Run of the mill, auto-tuned garbage is not good music, I should have said. 'Feel good story' or not, people will do anything for money and anything to cash in on popular trends. Not one person will know anything about this in a few weeks time. Moving on.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
I think, and this goes for any time we ring in a new year, it takes a while for a style of music (whether your consider it music or not) to develop. I know I can't remember hardly anything from early 2012. It was all bland, club beat, featuring Pitbull music that just...had a beat. And meaningless lyrics. And I was like "well great 2012 is going to BOMB in the music department" but then you get songs that define the year, like Gangnam Style, Call Me Maybe, etc. I don't care if you don't consider it music, but whether you like it or not, there are certain songs that will define that time and people will remember it like, "Oh yeah, that's 2012." Like for 2011, everyone knows Party Rock Anthem. Maybe not like it, but it was THE 2011 song.

Moving on to my point, I think it will be a while before we find the defining song(s) of 2013, or in your terms, "the next Gangnam Style."

Treecko

the princess without voice
Years
I honestly don't see it becoming the next Gangnam Style at the moment. The song isn't as catchy and upbeat as Gangnam Style and it's kind of annoying in my opinion. Even if there is a story behind this one, it's just doesn't have as much appeal and energy as Gangnam Style.

Back