• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How do you plan your hacks?

Years
I've never make my own complete hack (each one less than 10%).
Now I just started a new real project with many thoughts with my firends.
But when really sarted,I found myself hard to plan the hack.
I mean,I enlarged the rom,but don't know which part should or better to do what.
Which part should be maps?
Which part should be scripts?
And which part should be new OW or even new uncompressed pic?(In JPAN's engine)

How do you plan your hacks?Give me some advice...

Matteron (96)

Can't Read Lookin Ass
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Feb 13, 2024
simple, story first.
then I begin to map the first couple of towns
once that is done I script the towns.
then I move onto inserting some graphics
after that I continue to map, then script, then insert anything that needs to be inserted to make the hack look nice.

Larvitar170

Noobie hacker
Years
I start off planning my story, then I separate it into chapters. Then, I complete everything in a chapter, starting with maps, sprites, then scripts. Rinse, wash, repeat till I get what I want for my first beta.

Years
  • Seen Jun 26, 2013
This time I'm basing it on a short story I wrote. It's easier for me that way. Then I plan any geographical changes, and usually difficulty of gameplay comes last.

BlitŻ1

guahh my dog is so cute
Years
I plan my hacks based on inspiration from writing or artwork. I'm surfing the webernet and I find a fan-fiction or some tiles that inspire me based on the atmosphere and aura that it givees off. It's very hard to resist it really xD. While preparing the ROM for my plans, I'm planning more parts of the story. It's like a flurry of imagination.

Years
I have a notebook I carry in my schoolbag. I spend most of my day in school, so anytime I've a free class or something I brainstorm. I've written the story (yeah, novel-style xD) and it's how I plan out my new trainers, towns, etc. It's pretty efficient.

Years
I have a notebook I carry in my schoolbag. I spend most of my day in school, so anytime I've a free class or something I brainstorm. I've written the story (yeah, novel-style xD) and it's how I plan out my new trainers, towns, etc. It's pretty efficient.

I do that too!!Haha,sometimes,my teacher was totally fascinated about my novel~

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Apr 18, 2024
It's not simple, really. First of all, you must think of a general idea of the storyline. The legendary, what the legendary has to do with the hack, some of the basic characters. Then, to make it easier think of the basic plot, you could make the region.
And then the Plot, the Maps, the Scripts, misc. etc.

NiKaNoRoU

we are but particles
Years
My way is:

1. Plot out the basic storyline
  2. Configure the characters - without the clothing, etc
  3. Think of the places that are about to be visited
  4. Pokemon and items involved
  5. the features
  6. sprites
  7. tiles and insertion
  8. scripts
  9. beta test
  10. a version release
That's about it. It's the way I like to plan things. My hack is currently at the 7th stage, thanks to everyone that helps me (and people who help in hacks in general. They play a big role as to how each hack develops).

Years
  • Seen Dec 10, 2021
1. Think of a Story
2. Map the towns for the first release
3. Script the towns for the first release
4. Release a alpha/beta!

Conan Edogawa

One Truth Prevails
Years
When I tried to make a hack I started with a very detailed story telling exactly what would happen in the hack. After that I broke it up into sections that would be released as betas upon completion. For each section I then wrote out what needed to be done first and then followed that. To put it simply I made a story then an outline.

psychicboy

Hacking is all that matters...
Years
Hmm, easy question answered for me. Well I've only ever started one hack, but its pretty far.

First I think of a great unique story thats never been thought up before.

Next I ask myself "Would I buy this game if nintendo released it?" (yes I would :P)

Next I make a few test maps using imagination and script as I go along.

All the maps after that are drawn on paper using simple things such as v's for trees and squares for building.

davidthefat

I Love C++
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 3, 2012
Start off with EVERY aspect down on paper, the characters (really important in story telling), the environment (Towns/cities and ect) goals and everything. Even with all that preparation, it never goes as planned 100%

sab

Now too much of a life.
Years
I haven't posted ny hack, but I just make whatever occurs to me whaile on a project. That way I also get the fun of being suprised by the storyline.lol

0m3GA ARS3NAL

Im comin' home...
Years
I start of by writing a complete game script of my hack.
Yes, this means that I end up writing a short novel, lol.

Next, I'll end up taking my ROM, and inserting any and all graphics, that means that I wont be inserting anything else throughout the game, unless it is something that I didn't think of during the creation of the game script.

Now at this point I end up mapping... I'd end up mapping half of the game, I don't like small betas...

From there I move onto scripting, keeping a list of any flags or variables I use in the game. So I don't ever overwrite anything, or use a flag more than once (Unless needed)
Finally, I beta test myself, and release beta 1.

(Though I can't do any of this except writing the script, since the good computer of the house has been sent off to be repaired... (My sister + computers = mobo problems that can't be fixed due to her ruining the diagnostics...))

Years
  • Seen Mar 6, 2010
Mine just sort of came to me
i have no idea how i will go about it
i have the start of the story sorted out
but have no idea for town, city, character names
or anything else like that - but i will get there :)

Years
when i start thinking of a hack i usually write it down on paper
and then the next day i forget about it xD and so i never finish one xD

Years
  • Seen Jan 19, 2010
For Hacks:
1. Story
2. Basic Logistics (Map, Pokemon, Items, Attacks fixable by tools)
3. Changed/Added Features (usually involves scripting or ASM)
4. Spriting (I reverse the order because I have no ability in art.)

For game remakes, the same applies, but steps 1 and 4 are optional.

Back