• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Official Feedback Request: PC’s Style Survey

Wobbu

bunger bunger bunger bunger
Years
I use the Y-Axis. The main reason why I use it is because it's dark and doesn't blind me when I'm on my phone and have to look closely at my screen to read, and it also doesn't turn my phone into a flashlight when I'm in low-lit places :P The main reason why I use the Y-Axis over other dark themes is because it has a fixed width. It isn't extremely narrow when I'm on my phone and it isn't extremely wide when I'm on my laptop.

PC's newer styles (like many that were released throughout 2014) change more than just the colors and sizes of the default vBulletin design, and that's what I like to see when new styles are released. Fundamental, Yggdrasil, and a couple currently unreleased/developing themes are good examples of what I consider modern and unique.

As for many of the older styles, I feel like they all look the same but with different colors :\

I use PC on mobile Safari about as much as I use it on Chrome, so cross-compatibility is the most important aspect to me. I only use themes that will look the same on both browsers, and the Y-Axis is the only dark theme that is both cross-compatible and is somewhat modern. Unfortunately all dark themes (and many light themes) that have been released after the Y-Axis will make the forum appear really thin on my phone and cause a bunch of text wrapping and inconsistent post dimensions, and using them on my laptop makes everything way too wide :\
Example of post dimension issue:
Spoiler:

Also fixed elements in styles are a problem on mobile because they will stay fixed to the screen when you zoom in, and quite often they will grow larger in proportion to your screen.
EDIT: I just noticed an option for disabling fixed elements in the Edit Options page, is that new?

Last edited:
Reactions: faf

Buoysel

Trust me, I'm a Professional*
Years
I've been using Forever Standing since forever.... (I'll show myself out)

It was the default theme on PC when I joined. It was a very long time before I realized there were themes you could choose from. By then I was imprinted on Forever Standing so I just is it. It's a nice theme, very clean. I like the soft blues used in the theme. I occasionally switch to the PokeAthletes, but that's only because it has Typhlosion in the banner.

I think PC has some of the best themes I've ever seen on a website, let alone a forum, though I do find PC lacking in the mobile browsing department. That would be my only real gripe, I would love to see a good mobile theme.

Nakala Pri

• Is there a particular feature or design choice in one style that you'd like to see in new PokéCommunity styles? Something edgy and fun! Colourful and rockin', and maybe the log in bit to be in the top center of the page?
  • Do you switch between a particular set of styles? For what reason? Light differences and boredom. When it's day, I have a colourful one. When it's night, I have a dark one. Except the dark ones are pretty boring. :I
  • Is there a style you'd use if it weren't for a particular issue you have with the style? I want to use Sky High but there's something about how it's squished in? The light blue in the back isn't interesting, yet it takes up so much space. It really bugs me, since it's so nice. And Chromatic 0.2. The statistics at the side annoy me!
  • What do you think about the quality of PokéCommunity styles? I don't like the earlier ones, the recent ones are cool buuut they haven't got much colour at all. (Except for Kanto Dream Party)
  • Do you feel the PokéCommunity's styles are "modern" enough? Are there particular styles that you consider modern? Recently they're too modern and I heartily dislike pressing a button to log in. Chromatic is cool, but as I said, THOSE STATISTICS!!!
  • Any other comments? You guys do a good job, but I'm a creative person and I need colours or I'm going to dry out and people will spoonfeed me grey beans. >:(

ANARCHit3cht

Call me Archie!
Years
  • Seen Sep 25, 2020
What forum style do you use, and why? Currently I'm using Hypno's Lullaby. I prefer darker themes and it was the first one I clicked on that was dark. I'm sure there are other dark themes that I'd like just as much but I'm too lazy to change it atm.

Is there a particular feature or design choice in one style that you'd like to see in new PokéCommunity styles? I like scrolling elements like the info bar thingy in the theme Garchompin' as well as the fact that whole information bit that is usually in the right side is centered. I also like how Generation InVerse is essentially a bunch of styles in one. While its generally the same, it's cool that you can change the color scheme and choose between a black/white version of it.

Do you switch between a particular set of styles? For what reason? I usually switch between darker theme like Hypno's Lullaby and then one with more color that aren't too bright. Well, the same theme gets boring but I hate overly bright themes so I still tend to stick to darker themes.

Is there a style you'd use if it weren't for a particular issue you have with the style? I can't think fo any style that I'd USE, but it really bothers me when styles have default buttons/icons/etc left in them. I don't know if its intentional or if the styles are a work in progress but it makes it look very ugly. Another thing I largely dislike is when the font color doesn't go well with the background in the post bits. Either it isn't contrasting enough and its hard to read. Or its too contrasting and hurts my eyes.

EDIT: Yggdrasil. It is aesthetically pleasing and perhaps my favorite style in that regard. It's like Garchompin' but without the blue which makes it suit my tastes for daker themes(not that Garchompin' is that bright) but it seems to be missing a notifications section which is going to basically make it unusable for me.

What do you think about the quality of PokéCommunity styles? In general most of them are pretty high quality. Some simple which leaves me wanting more, but still high quality.

Do you feel the PokéCommunity's styles are "modern" enough? Are there particular styles that you consider modern? I think the styles here have better features/more well rounded aesthetics than other forums. I don't know if that means modern, but generally I'd say that they are with the inclusion of things such as scrolling elements. Plus like, the Generation inVerse style changer(where you choose the pokemon) is pretty neat. IIRC it used to just be tacked on to the bottom and always visible and now its neatly tucked away in its own button.

Any other comments? I would very much like to see a minimalist theme. Something like Fundamental but without all the descriptions because I already know what each forum is by the name alone. I do enjoy some lighter themes like Chromatic 2.0, and the Color Flattered series but its mainly because they tend to be really colorful and the "brightness" comes solely from the post/forum sections areas as opposed to theme as a whole being bright(like the Pokelink series, Pokemon White theme, reboot bw[what's up with this? seems like it's barely even been worked on?] and other ones like forever standing.)

Last edited:

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
Years
What forum style do you use, and why?
It changes often, when I feel that I want to mix things up. I go on mobile a lot, so I always like to choose styles that work on both because it's annoying to have to switch between styles whenever I switch devices, so I just stick to one. The styles that I generally use are Color Flattered and Let's Fly Together (Ashley ♥), though recently I just discovered Generation2 which I really like the look of (colors, fixed width). I also use Sky High sometimes because, well, I designed it, so obviously I like how it looks a lot :P

Is there a particular feature or design choice in one style that you'd like to see in new PokéCommunity styles?
A lot of the styles that I like to use generally stick to the traditional vBulletin look, and that's just me. It's cool to see the new and unique designs that people can think of (such as how Fundamental and Garchompin' do much that just modify vB's color scheme), but I think that I will always just stick with designs that are familiar to me. This doesn't really answer the question, I know, but I wanted to put it out there.

I have to say though, I really like the new navigation bar that is present in Forever Standing and Route 167+

Other comments
I don't really think that there is a style that I would use if it weren't for anything in particular, as I already do switch between a lot already. I definitely think that PC styles are more "modern" in the sense that they've evolved from being, I dunno, really simple. I mean, look at an older style like Ledian's Knockout and compare it to a newer one like Color Flattered, or even an updated older one like Forever Standing. I don't really have much to say and I'm easily impressed anyway, but I think we're moving in the right direction. :P

Years
Is there a particular feature or design choice in one style that you'd like to see in new PokéCommunity styles?

I dunno, maybe something's that mysterious or something

Do you switch between a particular set of styles? For what reason?
Just testing things out, but now, I use the Y-Axis of Peitharchia

Is there a style you'd use if it weren't for a particular issue you have with the style?
I can't remember what's the style, but its good, but there's one very slight hitch. You know the greetings you see on the top like "WE'RE ALL MAD HERE, BLAZIKENXY", I love that feature xD, but that style just says "Welcome, BlazikenXY"

What do you think about the quality of PokéCommunity styles?
Some are good, some are bad...

Do you feel the PokéCommunity's styles are "modern" enough? Are there particular styles that you consider modern?
Fundamental has a modern feeling in it.

Any other comments?
Nope.

Last edited:

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen today
I've been using Johto Elite since March or so. Used Y-Axis before that. I generally like darker styles and styles that have the traditional vBulletin look, but I'm not opposed to using a style that deviates from the traditional vBulletin style. It's just that the few that we have haven't really interested me.

Someone's just gonna have to make a style that I really like if you want me to stop using Johto Elite.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 30, 2023
EDIT: Yggdrasil. It is aesthetically pleasing and perhaps my favorite style in that regard. It's like Garchompin' but with the blue which makes it suit my tastes for daker themes(not that Garchompin' is that bright) but it seems to be missing a notifications section which is going to basically make it unusable for me.
This should be addressed now :]

Years
The style I currently use is the Y-Axis, which is red, black and purple and represents Yveltal. I have it since the dark vibe to it is something that really fascinated me.

Aside from that, I also switch between that and Fundamental when i'm in the mood for a lighter style - I used that one briefly for a time period since Y-Axis didn't list anniversaries for a while (minor gripe, but that's been fixed now).

Years

I like the New Posts link being in the top center of the style. I really don't like that it's in the dropdown under the Me section in the recent styles.

I mainly use Let's Fly Together [Legacy], but sometimes I will switch to Dimensional Rift. I guess I like the old-fashioned styles.

Is there a style you'd use if it weren't for a particular issue you have with the style?

Not that I can think of.

A lot of them are modern, but that makes them feel less like a vBulletin forum.

Do you feel the PokéCommunity's styles are "modern" enough? Are there particular styles that you consider modern?

Yes, as I said above, the recent ones are very modern. A lot of them have their own, new feel to them.

Any other comments?

No.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Apr 13, 2024
I don't think PokéCommunity styles are modern enough at all. They're still throwbacks to the original style with limited changes in most styles apart from CSS and image replacements. When we finally did have a style that was a change from a general bare bones design we've had for over ten years, it was complained about because it was confusing, and perhaps it was. But I'm inclined to believe that with a little more patience than what we had, we would have adapted to it fairly well.

I was working on a design that completely changed the way PC looked. My design made it look like PC was an actual website, but more of a portfolio company type of website than a news website, and after the response that Fundamental got, I completely gave up on it.

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen today
I don't think PokéCommunity styles are modern enough at all. They're still throwbacks to the original style with limited changes in most styles apart from CSS and image replacements. When we finally did have a style that was a change from a general bare bones design we've had for over ten years, it was complained about because it was confusing, and perhaps it was. But I'm inclined to believe that with a little more patience than what we had, we would have adapted to it fairly well.

I was working on a design that completely changed the way PC looked. My design made it look like PC was an actual website, but more of a portfolio company type of website than a news website, and after the response that Fundamental got, I completely gave up on it.
I think you should give it a try again. I didn't remember exactly what Fundamental looked like so I switched to it just now and it doesn't look bad or anything. It's not perfect and it'll take a bit of getting used to but I think I'll be using it now for a while.

If you're worried about people bitching about your new style, don't be. People always bitch whenever there's a change or something new in anything. If you want PC to move away from the same old standard vBulletin style, then you (and other people) should start making new styles that deviate from the usual and eventually people will get used to it.

ANARCHit3cht

Call me Archie!
Years
  • Seen Sep 25, 2020
This should be addressed now :]
I'd like to point out that although the new nav bar has been implemented, the posts now have a "Post Comment" button and that feature isn't around anymore from what I understand? Plus since its not on any other styles I think its safe to assume its a mistake?

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 2, 2024
I think PC is the best looking forum I've been to. Maybe I haven't been to many forums 8) But I like that the main index is simple and easy to learn to find your way around, at the same time as every detail feels modern and, well, stylish, on most styles. It's one of the great things that make us stand out from other (big) pokémon forums imo: that you can personalize your experience so much with avatar themes, username colors and most of all PC skins/styles.

lol I always called them skins but styles is a good word too I guess

Anyways.

Most of the time I use Forever Standing. It's got a pleasant, smooth but clear blue color scheme that feels nicely default without being boring in any way. The only other styles I've been able to use for longer amounts of time are Route 167+ (because it's simple enough without being ugly) and probably my favorite - Pokélink 4 Blue. It's soooo clean and looks so good, much smoother than Forever Standing even, with the grey text and all. BUT!

Yes. Pokélink 4 Blue (and Pink) has got two sets of menus and weird drop down menu issues. Bugs. It annoys me so much that I stopped using it and went back to Forever Standing :( If PL4 was to get the new navbar, I'd use it. Please make it happen! <3

Also I used to use Begin, Again for a while, until the menu bar stopped working :( so yeah, I like the styles I like, until they stop working.

Arylett Charnoa

No one in particular.
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jan 5, 2023
I find it strange how much importance is placed on styles on this forum. On others I've been to, I'd be lucky to have a choice between three. I'll elaborate more on this point in a bit.

I use Color Flattered Y because it is simple and colorful, uses red as an accent (my favorite color), and uses a white background. Dark backgrounds aren't really my thing and I avoid them at all costs, as I believe that there is very little way to do them right. Also, it is not fixed width. Fixed width is also something that I dislike highly. I don't care if my screen stretches. I prefer space being used than wasted. These are simply my preferences though.

Most of the styles I have observed besides the one I've settled on seem rather undiverse. They're mostly just reskins of the VBulletin interface. I prefer ones that are more distinctive from that as well, as I think VBulletin's default style looks unpleasant and unmodern. So by that extent, no, they don't look very modern to me. Some of the color choices are questionable. But then, that's only from the few I've skimmed through quickly just now. There's so many of them that I can't be bothered to look through them all.

In fact, this is my main problem with the styles: I think there are too many options. It is intimidating and might lead to people just settling on the default one because they don't want to spend so much time looking. I myself need something that is pleasing to my eye, so I looked for a bit, but not too extensively. I can understand the desire to give people choices, but I think it's just a bit much. It would be nice if the more samey styles were just culled from the list entirely, and only a select few were left. (Consider combining a few that use the same base together and making them able to be recolored by the user as I've seen one of the newly added themes has done.) Honestly, if I'm being absolutely generous, I'd go with ten styles maximum on the menu. (And that's if I'm being generous. My own personal preference would only make three available if you absolutely must have a style switcher.)

Once again, this is all just my personal preference. I can understand if others would disagree with it.

Last edited:

Her

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen today

I've used Midnight Misty for well over 5 years now, hell, probably close to 7 at this rate. Easy to navigate, all PC functions fit with it and it's elegant yet simple. MM is the only theme that I feel balances out the use of light & dark while focusing on the dark. I can't use bright themes, my eyes are far too sensitive for that. So I prefer styles which focus on darker/bolder colours. That being said, I haven't kept any style for more than a day that wasn't Midnight Misty.

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
Years
A lot of the styles are very pleasing to the eye. Forever Standing, Generation2, Flying High and Garchompin' are in particular, eye candy. They're also the styles I've used to the most and frequently alternate between (albeit less so with Garchompin'). What I find sets these apart from every other skin is that not only are they aesthetically pleasing, but they're functional. They're easy to use. I don't have to go searching for things. Some of the newer styles I think try too hard to be modern and edgy at the expense of functionality. Examples would include Y-Axis and Fundamental. Although this could be because they stray away from the traditional look I've been accustomed to for the past six years. With a few touch ups though, I think they could work, but for me now, they...just don't work. On a tangent, I tend to use more lighter skins. Darker skins are generally less pleasing for me to use.

Last edited:

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Slightly blurred stripes on category areas. Like this: http://prntscr.com/5scpnd I like that. I mean I made the style but y'know I like that on different styles.

Only use Volcarona Pour Toujours, which I made for my friend. It's the prettiest to me because... it's the colours I like, I've used it since 2012... or so, and it seems most PC-ish to me, because I'm used to it. Used to use The Top Dog, which I also made... so basically I can only really use styles I made otherwise other styles lack that feeling of wow you really made something cool. :x

Hypno's Lullaby... I made it too dark. :c

I like 'em. Everyone else's styles look more professional than mine, which is really cool. :3 Y'all did well.

Everything after 2012 mostly is, actually, more like 2009 keeps the vbulletin feeling and everything after there seems like an upgrade.

Amaruuk

[span="letter-spacing: -2px;"][b]└──[/b]►[/span]TY
Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Mar 19, 2024
I've had it on Caramel Sentret for years and years. I prefer the mild, low-contrast pallet and compactness of everything (I'm not big on the giant graphics and fluff of modern stuff, and I like forums to look like forums and not have to be scrolling past more stuff or taking extra clicks to get to what I want. Sorry if that sounds bass-ackwards but not every site needs to start looking like Tumblr). Efficient and simple are what I like. I don't use my phone to check websites so mobile function is not important to me either, though I'm sure I'm also in the minority there.

Years
Right now I'm using The Y-Axis because I love Yveltal and dark themes anyway. Also I usually hate pink but this pink is the best pink ever.

Well, I've only ever used a few, so I don't know...

That depends, what's modern? Fundamental seems "modern" I guess?

I switch between The Y-Axis, Forever Standing, and Let's Fly Together [Legacy]. I already explained why I use The Y-Axis, I use Forever Standing because Bluuuuue (not the color), I use Let's Fly Together because I was used to it before I got an account here :P I switch because I like all of those and I can't decide most of the time.

Any other comments?
That's about it. I like dark themes though, and there are a fair amount of those. I like having a lot of options, but I usually switch between those three anyway.

Back