• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Hardest Kanto Gym Leader ?

Hardest Kanto Gym Leader

• Total voters

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Going with Misty here; even if I had the type advantage over her Pokémon with Pikachu, she still KOed it.

Bounce

Blue eyes :3
Years
Koga was really the only trouble I had. I'd have trouble hitting when he'd use Minimize and then poison all my Pokemon.

Gliese

I Drink Nozz-A-La
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Sep 29, 2013
Misty. That Starmie can be a pain, especially if you don't have a grass or electric.

Years
  • Seen Jul 17, 2016
For me it depends on which version. In the originals (Yellow) I always had problems with Lt. Surge. If his Raichu's Thunderbolt didn't take me out, Slam did. Even though Slam isn't only 75 accuracy, it always hit me. Very annoying.

The remakes, I'd probably go with Misty, when unprepared. Even Bulbasaur is weak to that Confusion. It doesn't help that her Pokémon are so quick.

WishCookie

ヽ(*・ω・)ノNo berries for you!
Years
Oh my god, I always had problems with Misty...Always! Her Starmie was so hard to defeat! I always had problems with her in every version.

Fernando Torres

Class on grass
Years
  • Seen Jul 28, 2014
For me personally, Misty's gym was always the hardest gym to beat. I always chose Charmander or Squirtle but never bulbasaur. I remember the first time I played red I had no idea what to do So I had a Blastoise lv 70 by the first gym and a Pidgeot lv 67 so the gyms were easy back then. Lol.

Years
  • Age 29
  • USA
  • Seen Sep 11, 2017
Ugh, Misty and Sabrina are by far the hardest gyms for me. When I played through LeafGreen I had Pikachu and Oddish and after a few tries I eventually got it. But right now I'm playing FireRed and I traded my Bulbasaur to LG for the pokedex and my other game boy broke so it's stuck there, and I've played through 6 gyms without a starter. But anyway, I never have strong enough pokemon for Sabrina. She always beats me at least 3X before I can even damage her pokemon. :X I voted for her because I have the most trouble with her. My five pokemon are all in their 40s and can't beat hers at all. It sucks.

Years
  • Seen Aug 8, 2017
For me, it had to be Koga, the 5th gym leader. if i had a fire or flying type, i could kill him pkmn in one hit, but if i didn't, he had those poison type moves that would eventually kill my whole crew

Munchlax11

Munch?
Years
  • Age 26
  • USA
  • Seen Feb 15, 2014
I agree....Koga was the toughest. I think he was the only gym leader I ever lost to in fire red. I beat him on my second try though. My team couldnt deal with poison very well :/

d00bt00b

Genxo
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jul 1, 2013
Koga. Koga was difficult because his pokemon were so overleveled every time I play through.

JokerBen

Director of Pokémon Nobelium
Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Aug 29, 2023
My hardest is Brock and Misty, because I like Fire starters, so I don't think I need to explain more

Tyrael

This is a Sailor's Prayer
Years
I never found Misty hard. I did hate Sabrina though. Most of the pokemon I would have by that point all seemed to get outsped by her and had horrible Special Defense. Koga was never really an issue for me, because whenever I finally got around to fighting him my pokemon were leveled up fairly well as far as I can remember.

Zorogami

WUB WUB
Years
Misty is really hard for being the 2nd Gym leader, all other werent all that hard.
If you picked Charmander though, Brock was already pretty tough, misty even more.
And since there were no dark types in the originals, Sabrina could be pretty hard to beat too

Back