• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[ARCHIVE] Simple Questions (SEARCH BEFORE ASKING A QUESTION)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ghost...

Unknown Ghost of Pokemon Tower
Years
In order to make Pikachu follow you, you'd have to make it part of the script for every square of every map. As for Oak cathing Pikahu, can't help you there.

ℜªℳ

RAM Corporation |\/| ][ |\/|
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2016
while you're all on that topic is it necessary for you to have a script for every bit of the map to make pikachu follow you or can it be one simple script for the whole map starting a certain entrance and exit point? Also, is there a way to replace the professor entrance at the start of a new game with a cutscene or change the boy and girl choice so you HAVE to start off as a boy at the beginning like in yellow? can it be done on firered and if so what tools are needed? I just need the names.

Quilava's Master

Shattered Dreams '13
Years
  • Seen Aug 14, 2023
im sry Blaizchu i shudnt have asked for the jirachi pic..but i still want to kno if its ok to enlarge a map i read somewea it wasnt

Years
I've actually got a question, I don't know who might be able to answer me. I've been looking at red and Blue roms, and I'm wondering, how do pointers work with Red/Blue/Yellow? Do they have pointers?

IIMarckus

J946@5488AA97464
Years
  • Seen Feb 21, 2024
I've actually got a question, I don't know who might be able to answer me. I've been looking at red and Blue roms, and I'm wondering, how do pointers work with Red/Blue/Yellow? Do they have pointers?
Red and Blue use GB pointers, the same kind as GSC (and all other GB/GBC games).

Pointers work the way they do because of the Game Boy's RAM structure, which ranges from 0000 to FFFF:
0000-3FFF ROM bank 00 (same as offsets 0000-3FFF)
4000-7FFF A variable ROM bank (can be any bank except 00)
8000-9FFF VRAM (tiles)
A000-BFFF external RAM (save file)
C000-CFFF WRAM0 (general work RAM)
D000-DFFF WRAM1 (more general work RAM)
E000-FDFF unused
FE00-FE9F OAM RAM (sprites)
FEA0-FEFF unused
FF00-FF7F I/O
FF80-FFFE HRAM (high RAM, has special function)
FFFF Interrupt Enable Register

As you can see, pointers don't actually point to the ROM, but to the location in RAM where the ROM has been copied. For three-byte pointers, the game takes the bank number and uses that to determine which bank to copy into location 4000.

Last edited:
Years
thanks blazichu.

i have another problem now. i used zels tutorial to eddit the tms. when i look at them they say what i want but the description of the tm is that of the old moves and there not learnabe.

this is quite important otherwise i might have to quit my hack which ive been working on for 1 year now.

thanks in advance
link

Because the TM is counted as an item and not an attack, you'll have to hex edit the text for the attack, or use A-Text to edit it and then find the program Pokemon Amplifier to edit the TM/HM Compatibility for pokemon.

Red and Blue use GB pointers, the same kind as GSC (and all other GB/GBC games).

Pointers work the way they do because of the Game Boy's RAM structure, which ranges from 0000 to FFFF:
0000-3FFF ROM bank 00 (same as offsets 0000-3FFF)
4000-7FFF A variable ROM bank (can be any bank except 00)
8000-9FFF VRAM (tiles)
A000-BFFF external RAM (save file)
C000-CFFF WRAM0 (general work RAM)
D000-DFFF WRAM1 (more general work RAM)
E000-FDFF unused
FE00-FE9F OAM RAM (sprites)
FEA0-FEFF unused
FF00-FF7F I/O
FF80-FFFE HRAM (high RAM, has special function)
FFFF Interrupt Enable Register

As you can see, pointers don't actually point to the ROM, but to the location in RAM where the ROM has been copied. For three-byte pointers, the game takes the bank number and uses that to determine which bank to copy into location 4000.

Thanks for that.

Quickster

Dream or Drop?
Years
  • Seen Apr 4, 2016
can someone please tell me hte proffesor oak script for fire red,the old man catching weedle script or how to insetr it with the professor oak script,and how to change the weedle and text in the battle with the old man?

Years
  • Seen Mar 9, 2010
Hey, I'm new to this whole ROM hacking thing. I've been trying to figure out the tools myself, but there are a couple things I can't figure out. I tried searching around before asking but I couldn't find answers and this thread is, uh, rather large.

1) I find a lot of tools (A-tack, etc) don't seem to work with the FireRed ROM I have. Are some tools incompatible with it, or is it that my copy of FireRed is damaged?

2) Is there a way to increase the number of moves a pokemon can learn? Not at one time, but in total - say a pokemon learns 6 moves over the total course of its leveling up, can I increase that number? Perhaps by cannibalizing data from another pokemon if it's a memory issue?

That's all I've got for now... I'm sure I'll need more help later on... =/

Thanks. :)

Years
Hey, I'm new to this whole ROM hacking thing. I've been trying to figure out the tools myself, but there are a couple things I can't figure out. I tried searching around before asking but I couldn't find answers and this thread is, uh, rather large.

1) I find a lot of tools (A-tack, etc) don't seem to work with the FireRed ROM I have. Are some tools incompatible with it, or is it that my copy of FireRed is damaged?

2) Is there a way to increase the number of moves a pokemon can learn? Not at one time, but in total - say a pokemon learns 6 moves over the total course of its leveling up, can I increase that number? Perhaps by cannibalizing data from another pokemon if it's a memory issue?

That's all I've got for now... I'm sure I'll need more help later on... =/

Thanks. :)

1) Open up the place where A-Tack is. Open up the "ini" folder. There should be items in their called "AXVE" and "AXPE" and others. Check if there is one called "BPRE". If there isn't, here's the problem.
Create a file call "BPRE.ini" and open that .ini file you just created.
Paste this into and save.
[Nameoffset]
offset=2388129

[Dataoffset]
offset=2427908
That'll fix A-tack.

If that isn't the problem, I'd probably need some more info about the problem.

2) Yes, either do it in hex or you can use Darthatron's Program PEP. There aren't any tutorials on doing it through hex, but you can look find tutorials on how to edit movesets in red/blue/Gold/Silver/Crystal (which is pretty similiar to GBA moveset layout.) and then find something on repointing stuff in GBA games. With PEP, it supports the repointing of movesets, so all you'd really have to do is learn something about repointing data in a GBA Rom.

If you need more info, just ask another question.

Years
I'm having some trouble. (I'm slowly going mad trying to find a way to edit and insert pokemon sprites in Fire Red!)

After much searching on google I was only able to find one download link for PokePic. It was version 1.0. Is this the latest version? Is it supposed to work with Fire Red and Leaf Green? Because it just won't load either of those ROMs, I don't even get an error message - just nothing! They're working ROMs too, they're not buggy or broken. Works perfectly fine with Ruby and Sapphire, but I don't want to hack those games.

What I want to do is edit the pokemon sprites and use my own ones for some of my own original pokemon inserted into the ROMs using Pokemon Editor Pro. I read up and apparently PokePic does this, but are there any alternatives? I haven't had any luck searching for them...

Oh, I tried getting Elitemap, but it had the same version of PokePic. I'd seen people say RS Ball might work but it turned out to be a trojan. >.< Also tried that unLZ thing but every sprite is really messed up looking.

Last edited:

destinedjagold

You can contact me in PC's discord server...
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Dec 23, 2023
The best way for you to edit PKMN sprites is using Unlz-GBA...
There are tutorials in the Documents and Tutorials (including my tutorial)...

Also, the pkmn in Unlz-GBA are around 550-1200 (ruby) and 650-1400(firered)...

Oh, and try not to hack LeafGreen for it's not a very stable ROM to hack.

Years
The best way for you to edit PKMN sprites is using Unlz-GBA...
There are tutorials in the Documents and Tutorials (including my tutorial)...

Also, the pkmn in Unlz-GBA are around 550-1200 (ruby) and 650-1400(firered)...

Oh, and try not to hack LeafGreen for it's not a very stable ROM to hack.

Thanks for the advice, I'll use Fire Red and not Leaf Green.
Ah... the glitchyness, I fixed it XD never mind. I don't know how thouugh. I'm using your tutorial now, thanks for letting me know its there! :)

Toorchic

Scripter/ROm HAx0r
Years
  • Seen Apr 24, 2008
I can't find PET anywhere.

Can anyone give me the link?

*It needs to work with fire red

Thanks

Years
  • Seen Sep 12, 2009
How do you make a person give you a pokemon? or a pokemon egg?

If it's a script could someone please give a step by step quick guide because I don't know how to use script tools.. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back