• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Add New Pokemon In 15 Easy Steps!

Years
  • Seen May 31, 2010
My backsprite's colors are all messed up. idk what's wrong? I think the colors are inverted somehow

:3

3:
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Oct 26, 2013
on FSF it let's you choose between FF and 00.
Which one are we supposed to use?

I always used 00 because in Unlz the Offset starts with 00.

Mormo

Cyndaquil Lover
Years
  • Seen Apr 10, 2016
It's a great tut, but I do have a question. I replaced Charmander with a sprite, but when I press A on the Pokeball, the game restarts. Any help?

Korronensu

Scrap Punk
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Feb 28, 2010
Btw, speaking of the pokedex earlier, does anyone know how to edit the part of the pokedex in FRLG that lets one go through entries by the habitat of the pokemon? I'm saying, if one added pokemon to the ?????????? spots, would there be some way to add them to the habitat part also?

Also, on the subject of adding pokemon, does anyone know how to repoint the learned moves list of pokemon? That is, if one added a pokemon, they wouldn't be abled to tell it to learn moves unless they deleted some that already exist for other pokemon. (Same situation for egg moves, which I'm working on... slowly...)

I know I"m in no place to make demands, but would the maker of this tut please be a little more complete in this tutorial? It tells you how to edit sprites and backsprites and references you to PEP (which has less than half the functionality of YAPE) but it does not tell you how to do the following, which are necessary to add a new pokemon, without these, it simply isn't a new pokemon:
1. Explain how to edit pokedex entries and to assign them a defined number and habitat(FR/LG) in them by whatever means necessary.
2. Explain how to add new moves to its' movelist. As it is, all the ? pokemon have only one move, and not even YAPE can add more.
3. Include a reference to Icon Editor so that people know how to edit the micro-sprite that shows up in your pokeballs list and storage PC.

EDIT: I don't mean to sound harsh. YOur tutorial works wonderfully... I was just looking for so much more. Keep up the good work.

Last edited:
Years
I know I"m in no place to make demands, but would the maker of this tut please be a little more complete in this tutorial? It tells you how to edit sprites and backsprites and references you to PEP (which has less than half the functionality of YAPE) but it does not tell you how to do the following, which are necessary to add a new pokemon, without these, it simply isn't a new pokemon:
1. Explain how to edit pokedex entries and to assign them a defined number and habitat(FR/LG) in them by whatever means necessary.
2. Explain how to add new moves to its' movelist. As it is, all the ? pokemon have only one move, and not even YAPE can add more.
3. Include a reference to Icon Editor so that people know how to edit the micro-sprite that shows up in your pokeballs list and storage PC.

EDIT: I don't mean to sound harsh. YOur tutorial works wonderfully... I was just looking for so much more. Keep up the good work.

1. I suggest you to see this thread: http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=185257
2. That's what we have PEP for. The newest version of PEP allows you to add new move tables. Just click on "Insert New table", get an offset with empty space, check how much moves you need, and there you go.
3. Yes, he should do that.

You say that PEP has less than half the functionality of YAPE. Sorry to say, but you didn't notice something: YAPE can't edit the Pokémon Sprite/icon/pallete offsets, which PEP can do, and that's the reason why it's used.

Korronensu

Scrap Punk
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Feb 28, 2010
1. I suggest you to see this thread: http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=185257
2. That's what we have PEP for. The newest version of PEP allows you to add new move tables. Just click on "Insert New table", get an offset with empty space, check how much moves you need, and there you go.
3. Yes, he should do that.

You say that PEP has less than half the functionality of YAPE. Sorry to say, but you didn't notice something: YAPE can't edit the Pokémon Sprite/icon/pallete offsets, which PEP can do, and that's the reason why it's used.

You are very right. I guess no one tool is willing to do everything...
Now I've been having a problem. I successfully added both sprites, and I could have sworn they had the same palette, so I didn't even bother to make a new palette for my backsprite, but when I went into a battle, the sprite was black and yellow, which is not what it was supposed to be. What did I do wrong?

Last edited:

Late

Pokémon Artist
Years
This thing has worked fine (as it should be), I have inserted Turtwig and Grotle to my game. A couple of times I have got messed up sprites but I have fixed those without help. Now I have a problem. I have Torterra's sprite, when I see it in game it's black and I don't know what helps me to get it's colours back again. I think it's palette's fault but what can I do? I have tried different offsets and everything that comes to my mind, but something's still wrong. Can somebody help me?

Korronensu

Scrap Punk
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Feb 28, 2010
I solved the problem I had before.
While it is true they used the same pallet, their pallets were (and this is the stupidest thing I've ever seen) In DIFFERENT ORDER! I had to export the pallet from the front sprite, load the backsprite, import the pallet (which screwed up my image) saved it as a seperate file, opened the old and new backsprites in two seperate runs of paint, copy the one with the colors that looked right, pasted it over the one with the right pallet, and saved. Only THEN did it work. That's the solution to your problem, master Dark.

Samoe

Pokemusician
Years
  • Seen Oct 13, 2013
wow

props, man. and i know how to do everything, but wen i open pokeEdit pro it says this:

"Component 'comdlg32.ocx' or one of its dependencies not correctly registered: a file is missing or invalid"

any help? i downloaded the version u posted at the beginning....can't find it anywhere else. it worked on my other computer but i don't have access to that comp rite now so please help??? thanks, and nice tut. ^_^

edit: i fixed it on my own, just searched the file and it turns out i just needed to update my computer's library files.

Last edited:
Years
props, man. and i know how to do everything, but wen i open pokeEdit pro it says this:

"Component 'comdlg32.ocx' or one of its dependencies not correctly registered: a file is missing or invalid"

any help? i downloaded the version u posted at the beginning....can't find it anywhere else. it worked on my other computer but i don't have access to that comp rite now so please help??? thanks, and nice tut. ^_^

Search google for comdlg32.ocx, download it and place it in the system32 folder.

JerisEnigma1337

Rocket Recruited Trainer
Years
  • Seen Oct 5, 2013
You might want to add a little disclaimer to your tutorial: it doesn't work in Emerald. The sprite can be changed, but its palette will stay the same.

I used this tuterial last night and it worked great! (In Emerald BTW). My only hang up is that my sprite isn't loading properly... It works fine in every step and the game runs smoothly, but when I encounter it in the wild it just gives me missingno.'s two question marks sprite... Haven't tried catching it yet because I'm still tweaking the sprite's original problem. It should work fine though.

Any suggestions?

Anyways, you shouldn't be hacking Emerald; It's notoriously unstable.

Ummm... everything I've done to this ROM has worked fine so far aside from my tiny newbie problems that only came up because I'd never used the tools before. I'm working on new player sprites, new pokes, edited gyms, and rebuilt towns and everything is great and smoothly running so far...

Last edited:

ExitWound

Boggle
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Sep 22, 2016
I don't understand... I was trying to insert this sprite I made from scratch:

DAGGOTH2.png

But when I find the pokemon in the wild, the screen just stays black...

Back