• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Your suggestions for Essentials

FL

Pokémon Island Creator
Years
  • Seen today
A setting to define an array with the badges (or -1 to won't use a badge for a stat) that boost the stats in-game (search for '#Gym Badges' to find some occurrences of this effect.). Example in sequence ATK/DEF/SPD/SATK/SDEF: [0,2,-1,6,6] This example uses badges[0] for ATK, badges[2] for DEF and badges[6] for SATK and SDEF.

Put summaryball01, ball01_open and similar pictures in a separate folder.

Ramond Hikari

- Lonely Shooting Star -
Years
Update all BW Pokemon, and update the PBS file for TMs. I can't see any BW pack which have updated the list of learnable TMs for generation 5 Pokemon :D

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
Years
This may sounds useless, but you can put a clock in the Pokégear?
It is useless. Computers have a clock in the corner anyway. You can make your own clock if you want it to go along with that unreal time tutorial you made (which, incidentally, needs updating a bit since I added method pbGetTimeNow).

FL

Pokémon Island Creator
Years
  • Seen today
It is useless. Computers have a clock in the corner anyway. You can make your own clock if you want it to go along with that unreal time tutorial you made (which, incidentally, needs updating a bit since I added method pbGetTimeNow).
The clock in the corner in computers may be disabled and the game may be in full screen mode. It is a little strange too a Pokégear without the clock.

Thanks for the tip in my tutorial, but I belive that my tutorial still works, anyway I will take a look.

Years
  • Seen May 18, 2017
Well if it didn't exist I was going to suggest it. And if that list is comprehensive then I'm damn impressed Maruno.

Years
Here's some suggestions:

1. Make it so you don't need to install the fonts to view them. (Yes, I am too lazy to take 10 seconds off to install them and I'm sure others are too)

2. Add the ability to go and add screen width/height without it modifying the Graphics module's screen width/height. (I'll explain this better if needed)

3. Add the mystery gift option to the title screen (simple as that)

4. Add the ability to create Pokemon (or edit them) through the editor (this includes all the other PB data not implemented yet to the editor)

5. Make the Tileset Editor (in the debug editor) keyboard operated instead of it's current Up/Down/Left/Right changing

6. Add some more move animations (at the very least the images which can be used to make more animations)

7. Add the R/S/E Game Corner mini game (forgot it's name but it's the one with the thing that spins and you try guessing in which category the ball lands in)

8. If my memory serves me right, didn't G/S/C also have another mini-game other than the slots? Anyways add that too.(I can't even remember how it works so no explanation really)

9. Battle Pyramid (Ok, this is possible with a small amount of effort and knowledge about the battle tower scripts + dungeons)

10. Pal Park (Eh, I don't care about this too much in the end)

11. Save Encryptions (I have already made a few of these, but it would be great if everyone could encrypt their saves so no-one can hack the games like that)

I have more, but I can't remember them...

Maruno

Years
Here's some suggestions:

1. Make it so you don't need to install the fonts to view them. (Yes, I am too lazy to take 10 seconds off to install them and I'm sure others are too)

2. Add the ability to go and add screen width/height without it modifying the Graphics module's screen width/height. (I'll explain this better if needed)

3. Add the mystery gift option to the title screen (simple as that)

4. Add the ability to create Pokemon (or edit them) through the editor (this includes all the other PB data not implemented yet to the editor)

5. Make the Tileset Editor (in the debug editor) keyboard operated instead of it's current Up/Down/Left/Right changing

6. Add some more move animations (at the very least the images which can be used to make more animations)

7. Add the R/S/E Game Corner mini game (forgot it's name but it's the one with the thing that spins and you try guessing in which category the ball lands in)

8. If my memory serves me right, didn't G/S/C also have another mini-game other than the slots? Anyways add that too.(I can't even remember how it works so no explanation really)

9. Battle Pyramid (Ok, this is possible with a small amount of effort and knowledge about the battle tower scripts + dungeons)

10. Pal Park (Eh, I don't care about this too much in the end)

11. Save Encryptions (I have already made a few of these, but it would be great if everyone could encrypt their saves so no-one can hack the games like that)

I have more, but I can't remember them...
You don't want much, do you?

1. The whole point of fonts is that you install them. If your only reason is that you're too lazy to do even that (Essentials does it for you!), then I'm seriously not going to even consider researching whether your proposal is even possible.

2. I don't know why you'd want to do this, aside from including a border. There you go, actually: borders used to work like this, so you can have a look into it yourself.

3. Essentials doesn't have a Mystery Gift feature.

4. I'll look into it.

5. Umm... Up/Down/Left/Right IS the keyboard.

6. There's a thread about making more move animations, which is of course dead. Go revive it. This is too trivial to be on my To Do list at the moment.

7/8. The Roulette (RSE) and Card Flip (GSC) are functionally the same game. Anyway, creating yet another mini-game is very low priority for me right now.

9. I don't know how it works, and the Battle Frontier scripts are a mess. I can definitely say I won't be doing this (someone else might, of course).

10. Please tell me what possible use the Pal Park might have in Essentials.

11. I'm not big on the encryption front, so I've not looked into save file encryption. I don't know if it matters much, as one person's game can't possibly interfere with another person's game anyway.

Years
You don't want much, do you?

1. The whole point of fonts is that you install them. If your only reason is that you're too lazy to do even that (Essentials does it for you!), then I'm seriously not going to even consider researching whether your proposal is even possible.

2. I don't know why you'd want to do this, aside from including a border. There you go, actually: borders used to work like this, so you can have a look into it yourself.

3. Essentials doesn't have a Mystery Gift feature.

4. I'll look into it.

5. Umm... Up/Down/Left/Right IS the keyboard.

6. There's a thread about making more move animations, which is of course dead. Go revive it. This is too trivial to be on my To Do list at the moment.

7/8. The Roulette (RSE) and Card Flip (GSC) are functionally the same game. Anyway, creating yet another mini-game is very low priority for me right now.

9. I don't know how it works, and the Battle Frontier scripts are a mess. I can definitely say I won't be doing this (someone else might, of course).

10. Please tell me what possible use the Pal Park might have in Essentials.

11. I'm not big on the encryption front, so I've not looked into save file encryption. I don't know if it matters much, as one person's game can't possibly interfere with another person's game anyway.

1. Really, that never worked for me

2. Not sure either anymore

3. For possible future implantations, after all you did add some variables for it in the newest version of essentials.

4. Alright

5. I meant like pressing the number keys.

6. Never saw one, I'll look for it.

7/8. Alright then.

9. Thinking about this, I can do this in 10-20 minutes, I might do this myself.

10. If you plan on making a sequel or a second game, well it'd be nice to have it but again, I don't care too much (seeing as most people can't make 1 complete game)

11. Actually I was talking about someone hacking the game, and also what if 2 games have the exact same name? (Unlikely though but possible)

Maruno

Years

2. Not sure either anymore

3. For possible future implantations, after all you did add some variables for it in the newest version of essentials.

4. Alright

5. I meant like pressing the number keys.

6. Never saw one, I'll look for it.

7/8. Alright then.

9. Thinking about this, I can do this in 10-20 minutes, I might do this myself.

10. If you plan on making a sequel or a second game, well it'd be nice to have it but again, I don't care too much (seeing as most people can't make 1 complete game)

11. Actually I was talking about someone hacking the game, and also what if 2 games have the exact same name? (Unlikely though but possible)
1. Then install them manually. The fonts are easily accessible, the process is quick and painless, and stop being lazy. :)

3. True, but I've also been adding support for Gen 5 multiple forms, yet Gen 5 Pokémon still aren't in Essentials either. It's just there if you want to use it. If I'm honest, v11 may well have a Mystery Gift feature in it, as soon as I can decide how it should work.

5. There are 16 terrain tags at the moment, and I don't think anyone's keyboard goes up to that. I don't think it's difficult to use the way it is, and it's not something you'd need to do often anyway.

9. If you get something that works, please consider donating it to Essentials.

10. As you said, pretty much no one's managed to make a single game yet, let alone games that are part of the same world which are designed to interact like that.

11. So you meant game encryption rather than save file encryption? Again, it doesn't matter because different save files can't interact with each other, and hacking a fangame is a prattish thing to do anyway. The wiki is supposed to list all playable games, which can help make sure that two don't share a name. I don't think it's up to me to prevent that kind of coincidence anyway.

Years
9. If you get something that works, please consider donating it to Essentials.

Yeah, it's 90% working and I didn't even need to touch the scripts, I just have a bug on the player's graphic going missing and then the rest is to do with scripting the new menu and items.

FL

Pokémon Island Creator
Years
  • Seen today
1-I can't believe that you still have Map View option. Put it as a Setting or even remove it!

2-In the official games (I'm not sure), if you have a partner trainer and start a single trainer battle, the partner won't participate and the battle is a normal 1vs1 trainer battle. Can you do this on Essentials?

3-If I put four Route 321 maps, I need to define the encounters in the four ones. If I wish to put the same encounters in the four maps, I need to make a code duplicity, so can you make an aliases system for PBS encounters? Like "Copy 456" copy map 456 encounters data.

Take a look if you are running the RPG Maker as Windows XP in the Compatibility Mode. Check also if you have administrator permission on your computer and if the game is an exception for your antivirus.

Yeah, it's 90% working and I didn't even need to touch the scripts, I just have a bug on the player's graphic going missing and then the rest is to do with scripting the new menu and items.
In NPCs receptionists events on lobby, on second page, after the command "Wait: 8 frame(s)", add the command "Change Transparent Flag: Normal". This may be opacity as well (check move route events)

Years
Take a look if you are running the RPG Maker as Windows XP in the Compatibility Mode. Check also if you have administrator permission on your computer and if the game is an exception for your antivirus.

In NPCs receptionists events on lobby, on second page, after the command "Wait: 8 frame(s)", add the command "Change Transparent Flag: Normal". This may be opacity as well (check move route events)

1. No matters here anymore

2. Ummm, not really sure here I copied the Battle Tower Event from Essentials V10, anyways I'll take a look.

Maruno

Years
1-I can't believe that you still have Map View option. Put it as a Setting or even remove it!

2-In the official games (I'm not sure), if you have a partner trainer and start a single trainer battle, the partner won't participate and the battle is a normal 1vs1 trainer battle. Can you do this on Essentials?

3-If I put four Route 321 maps, I need to define the encounters in the four ones. If I wish to put the same encounters in the four maps, I need to make a code duplicity, so can you make an aliases system for PBS encounters? Like "Copy 456" copy map 456 encounters data.
1. No one has ever mentioned that, let alone implied that it shouldn't be an available option. I'll make it a Setting, since after thinking about it it's not really suitable as a player-visible option.

2. This was mentioned not too long ago somewhere, and I'll look into it at some point.

3. There's already a function for that. It's called "open encounters.txt in Notepad, Ctrl+C and Ctrl+V". It's very much in the category of "Things That Are Not Hard".

Years
Alright some text suggestions:

1. Kernel.pbMessage does not support extras like \r, \g, ect. (Unless it was me doing something wrong)
2. Same as above except with selectable options (Such as Yes or No)
3. Any chance for displaying faces with the text boxes? (Such as in VX)

Maruno

Years
Alright some text suggestions:

1. Kernel.pbMessage does not support extras like \r, \g, ect. (Unless it was me doing something wrong)
2. Same as above except with selectable options (Such as Yes or No)
3. Any chance for displaying faces with the text boxes? (Such as in VX)
1/2. It's you doing something wrong. Many existing scripted messages (e.g. blacking out, picking up items) use message commands. There are many kinds of message-displaying scripts, some of which are different and have varying functionality, but Kernel.pbMessage is what's actually used for showing messages in events (command_101), so that at least should work properly. Choices may need to be done differently in script-based messages - see the Mart scripts for an example.

3. You can use either \f or \ff, which puts the picture in a separate window just above the message box. As for inserting the picture into the message box, I don't know.

FL

Pokémon Island Creator
Years
  • Seen today
1. No one has ever mentioned that, let alone implied that it shouldn't be an available option. I'll make it a Setting, since after thinking about it it's not really suitable as a player-visible option.

2. This was mentioned not too long ago somewhere, and I'll look into it at some point.

3. There's already a function for that. It's called "open encounters.txt in Notepad, Ctrl+C and Ctrl+V". It's very much in the category of "Things That Are Not Hard".
1-Yes, I can't believe that no one has ever mentioned that or you didn't thought on it before.

3-This is really a pity that you don't understand the importance of avoid code duplicity. If the developers use your "small maps" concept, most of encounters code for a standard game are duplicates.

IceGod64

In the Lost & Found bin!
Years
1-Yes, I can't believe that no one has ever mentioned that or you didn't thought on it before.

3-This is really a pity that you don't understand the importance of avoid code duplicity. If the developers use your "small maps" concept, most of encounters code for a standard game are duplicates.
1 was a good point.

As for number 3... That's not a big deal. This isn't duplication of a code, this is duplication of some text that's supposed to be used for similar circumstances. It's no going to cause an extra/unnecessary lag, it just takes about 2 seconds more of your time.

One idea I did submit to Maruno before was to possibly instead of using one map for each tile on the town map, possible set up the map position metadata to have two additional integeer parameters, one for it's horizontal distance in tiles, and one for it's vertical distance. After that, the player icon on the Town map could either just appear in the middle of that area, or in a relative area determined by the map's width/height and it's position and size on the world map, rounded to the nearest 16x16 tile.

I don't really know how a calculation like that would work, though.

Back