• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Community Hack [Discussion]

Would you help make a Community Hack?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

DrFuji

[I]Heiki Hecchara‌‌[/I]
Years
Alright, so here's the situation. I've spoken to Darthatron and he has accepted the role of Community Hack Leader due to the absolutely overwhelming support with virtually no opposition shown in this thread shown so far.

From here on out he is officially head-honcho and coordinator of this project so let's get to it :P

Shiny Quagsire

I'm Still Alive, Elsewhere
Years
Ok, so I was thinking (and this is a suggestion). What if we had a site and/or tool of some sort that would allow you to download a bsdiff (or some other diff) of the latest build, then have it generate a bsdiff between the modified build (since, chances are, builds may or may not pass during user development) and the new additions, basically allowing for a pull request system to get only the modified bytes that pertain to the pull request.

Also, some sort of offset allocation system would be good, so you can reserve a range of bytes, do your hacking, and then free up any leftover free space. That way you don't get patches/diffs that have conflicting memory. I'd say 0x720000 - 0x810000 (or more) should be reserved for maps/tiles, since A-Map kinda does memory allocation automagically.

Overall, a set of rules needs to be set up to make this hack successful and organized. Once the organization is set up, hacking would commence. Of course, we also need to establish a storyline and tileset (in needed), and other stuffs for this hack, and what will and won't be allowed to change.

However, it's your show Darthatron, so you can decide what you want. This is just my hypothetical perfect organization theory here. :P

Darthatron

巨大なトロール。
Years
Alright, so here's the situation. I've spoken to Darthatron and he has accepted the role of Community Hack Leader due to the absolutely overwhelming support with virtually no opposition shown in this thread shown so far.

From here on out he is officially head-honcho and coordinator of this project so let's get to it :P
Thanks Fuji!
Ok, so I was thinking (and this is a suggestion). What if we had a site and/or tool of some sort that would allow you to download a bsdiff (or some other diff) of the latest build, then have it generate a bsdiff between the modified build (since, chances are, builds may or may not pass during user development) and the new additions, basically allowing for a pull request system to get only the modified bytes that pertain to the pull request.

Also, some sort of offset allocation system would be good, so you can reserve a range of bytes, do your hacking, and then free up any leftover free space. That way you don't get patches/diffs that have conflicting memory. I'd say 0x720000 - 0x810000 (or more) should be reserved for maps/tiles, since A-Map kinda does memory allocation automagically.

Overall, a set of rules needs to be set up to make this hack successful and organized. Once the organization is set up, hacking would commence. Of course, we also need to establish a storyline and tileset (in needed), and other stuffs for this hack, and what will and won't be allowed to change.

However, it's your show Darthatron, so you can decide what you want. This is just my hypothetical perfect organization theory here. :P
I think before we work on that we need to make some other decisions.

First of all, my first decision as leader is that we will be hacking FireRed. Hopefully this will help the "Possibly" votes decide whether or not they want to actually help out or not.

The next step we have to make is deciding on the people who want to be leaders of the major sections of the hack:

• Head of Graphics
    Includes Title Screen, Sprites, Menus*, Tiles^
  • Head of Mapping
    Maps, Tiles^
  • Head of Scripting
    Level Scripts, Basic NPCs, Story Scripts
  • Head of Story Development
    Story, Side Quests, General NPC Texts
  • Head of Music
    Custom Music, Remixes, Custom Voice Groups
  • Head of Programming
    Anything Hard-coded

* Probably mostly unchanged.
^ Tiles will most likely be decided between both parties.

So if you'd like to apply for any of these jobs, please post saying so using the following as guide:

Position (multiple if necessary):
Proof of Ability (if applicable):
Comments (if applicable):

For example:
Position (multiple if necessary): Head of Programming
Proof of Ability (if applicable): Port of the BW2 Repel System to FireRed
Animating The FireRed TitleScreen
Comments (if applicable): N/A

Keep in mind even if you're not chosen as head of the position you apply for, you will have some part in this hack. We need everyone to work together to make this a success.

Bela

Banned
Years
Position (multiple if necessary): Head of Story Development
Proof of Ability (if applicable): Pokémon Rose Version
Comments (if applicable): My hack incorporates multiple characters' stories into one overarching story, and I think I did that well. I think a project like this could benefit from having the same kind of composition. That way if we can manage it, the best story ideas contributors come up with can be sewn together as one overall, coherent story. I also want to be involved in the scripting and mapping departments of this project, in order to help with the development of some of the major story events.

I look forward to working with you guys! I think we should come up with some ways of communicating with each other outside of these forum threads, like on IRC or Skype. Maybe we could set up a chat somewhere.

tajaros

Hi I'm dawg
Years
Position (multiple if necessary): Head Of Scripting
Proof of Ability (if applicable): tajaros' Xtreme Scripting Tutorial
Pokemon Illusions
Comments (if applicable): I've also been helping out members with their scripts and questions by answering questions in the script help thread, simple questions thread, and by answering their VM's and PM's

And as Bela said who ninja'd me we should set up a place where all of us can communicate and plan things out.

Last edited:

stocko

Toast Engineer
Years
I feel that it might be necessary to have a system to gather files together to help keep the hack organised. Some where that people that are involved can dump files for the rest of the team to see. Something like using Google's Dropbox might be the way to go, it's entirely free to set up and you have 2.5gb worth of space.

DrFuji

[I]Heiki Hecchara‌‌[/I]
Years
Position: Head of Mapping
Proof of Ability: I've done all of the mapping in Pokemon Lilac (Equal second in mapping for HotY 2012 and equal third in 2011). I've also won two community wide map-offs (1 & 2).
Comments: I'm very skilled in terms of inserting/ choosing tiles that go well together (see: Graphical Appeal in the above HotY links) so I'll be able to communicate effectively with the Head of Graphics when it comes to tilesets.

I'm also throwing my vote behind an Instant Messenger of some description once we get everything initially sorted out :P

Darthatron

巨大なトロール。
Years
I would rather use an IRC rather Skype. I currently idle in eight different IRC servers as is, so I'd be more than happy to run a channel on one. Probably the same one that the #ThePokeCommunity channel is on: irc.systemnet.info; It would allow me to keep logs of everything we talk about and allows users to use the IRC chat client on this website.

Blah

Free supporter
Years
I would rather use an IRC rather Skype. I currently idle in eight different IRC servers as is, so I'd be more than happy to run a channel on one. Probably the same one that the #ThePokeCommunity channel is on: irc.systemnet.info; It would allow me to keep logs of everything we talk about and allows users to use the IRC chat client on this website.

But I want to talk rather than type everything :(
How do you log into that? It runs some java code then fails to get anywhere for me.

Darthatron

巨大なトロール。
Years
But I want to talk rather than type everything :(.
Is that so? I'm the complete opposite.
How do you log into that? It runs some java code then fails to get anywhere for me.
It should just log in automatically when you click the link. Perhaps the client is broken at the moment. Though it worked for me when I let Java run.

hinkage

Everyone currently in an argument with this member
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Mar 24, 2024
Skype is a million times easier than having to type out ideas, and responses, and critiques, and getting numerous people typing at once, etc. Plus it lets you multitask, and does have an IM feature as well. Once I started using it, it's like impossible to go back lulz.

Darthatron

巨大なトロール。
Years
Skype is a million times easier than having to type out ideas, and responses, and critiques, and getting numerous people typing at once, etc. Plus it lets you multitask, and does have an IM feature as well. Once I started using it, it's like impossible to go back lulz.
I suppose, but voice chat lack chat logs with a search function.

DarkRisingGirl

Order Must Be Restored
Years
Lol didn't come here to bash the idea, just to say my opinion; Are you guys serious about this? It'll be ridiculous. Not only will this ruin the diversity of an already inconsistent hacking community, but it may even hurt the moral of other hackers who isn't in this group you guys are building. Since most hackers these days think making hacks is a competition(Sadly), some might always have in their minds "My hack will never be as good as the one the community is making. That one is soooo much better than mine" And once that happens, they'll quit on their own projects. I'm just gonna put my prediction hat on and say the community hack will attract some of the best Rom hackers on here. Everyone's going to be so into making it as amazing as possible that their won't be any good Rom hackers working on their own projects so the community can have different hacks to play rather than 1 gigantic one. Another reason I see this happening is the lack of different jobs for the people involved in this project. I've seen some hackers who tried making their own hack but was unsuccessful due to personal life and the lack of knowledge and know-how in different areas of making one. You could be an incredible mapper but your story-telling sucks and vice-versa. With this community hack, that "Incredible mapper" only has to map because there's an "Incredible story-teller" to do the job he couldn't do in his own project. Point I'm making is, the best hackers in different areas are gonna join in to this project because they now only have 1 job to do to make an incredible hack. It's gonna be so incredible that their won't be any other good quality hacks because this project is probably going to use attract on the good hackers and steal them away from making their own projects. Just an opinionated rant, I just woke up and saw this thread. Goodluck to you all participating in the project though! ^.^

hinkage

Everyone currently in an argument with this member
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Mar 24, 2024

It'll work out. You could just keep any important stuff/good ideas in a .txt file.

Since most hackers these days think making hacks is a competition(Sadly), some might always have in their minds "My hack will never be as good as the one the community is making. That one is soooo much better than mine" And once that happens, they'll quit on their own projects.

Not rly.

Everyone's going to be so into making it as amazing as possible that their won't be any good Rom hackers working on their own projects so the community can have different hacks to play rather than 1 gigantic one.

People can do two hacks at once, especially if the work is divided.

the best hackers in different areas are gonna join in to this project because they now only have 1 job to do to make an incredible hack. It's gonna be so incredible that their won't be any other good quality hacks because this project is probably going to use attract on the good hackers and steal them away from making their own projects.

There are already like no good quality hacks.

Years
If we choose to go the skype route I'm gonna have some trouble. For whatever reason skype crashes my computer. It always has...

marcc5m

what
Years
Lol didn't come here to bash the idea, just to say my opinion; Are you guys serious about this? It'll be ridiculous. Not only will this ruin the diversity of an already inconsistent hacking community, but it may even hurt the moral of other hackers who isn't in this group you guys are building. Since most hackers these days think making hacks is a competition(Sadly), some might always have in their minds "My hack will never be as good as the one the community is making. That one is soooo much better than mine" And once that happens, they'll quit on their own projects. I'm just gonna put my prediction hat on and say the community hack will attract some of the best Rom hackers on here. Everyone's going to be so into making it as amazing as possible that their won't be any good Rom hackers working on their own projects so the community can have different hacks to play rather than 1 gigantic one. Another reason I see this happening is the lack of different jobs for the people involved in this project. I've seen some hackers who tried making their own hack but was unsuccessful due to personal life and the lack of knowledge and know-how in different areas of making one. You could be an incredible mapper but your story-telling sucks and vice-versa. With this community hack, that "Incredible mapper" only has to map because there's an "Incredible story-teller" to do the job he couldn't do in his own project. Point I'm making is, the best hackers in different areas are gonna join in to this project because they now only have 1 job to do to make an incredible hack. It's gonna be so incredible that their won't be any other good quality hacks because this project is probably going to use attract on the good hackers and steal them away from making their own projects. Just an opinionated rant, I just woke up and saw this thread. Goodluck to you all participating in the project though! ^.^

I saw but one good hack thread posted in 2012. HotY is full of the same crap every year.

Trust me I don't think people quitting their own hacks for something better is going to be much of an issue.

Will edit with application later in college atm

Years
Something else to consider about skype: I think it will be a relatively rare instance when we can actually get together and discuss things in real time. Most of us have busy lives outside of this, we live in different places and have different schedules. Some kind of chat room that will save our chats would be more convenient, because everyone can look at the discussion on their own time (much like this thread).

Darthatron

巨大なトロール。
Years
I find most people who excel in certain aspects of hacking generally stick to those aspects anyway. There are tonnes of really good hackers who work on lots of hacks doing minor things rather than spending all of their time working on one thing, this will be no different to them.

The main point is that nobody will have to pick this over their own hacks so I really don't see the issue. There are lots of hackers who would rather work in a small group, or even alone, rather than a group this large.

Honestly, it would be like telling Bethesda to stop making huge AAA games like Skyrim or Fallout 3 and get them to split up and make lots of little games.

Something else to consider about skype: I think it will be a relatively rare instance when we can actually get together and discuss things in real time. Most of us have busy lives outside of this, we live in different places and have different schedules. Some kind of chat room that will save our chats would be more convenient, because everyone can look at the discussion on their own time (much like this thread).

I agree wholeheartedly. However, if the majority want to use Skype, then we will use Skype.

Blah

Free supporter
Years
Is that so? I'm the complete opposite.

It should just log in automatically when you click the link. Perhaps the client is broken at the moment. Though it worked for me when I let Java run.

How long did you have to wait? I terminated it after about 8 mins. Maybe there's some restrictions to countries? I'm in Canada.

Lol didn't come here to bash the idea, just to say my opinion; Are you guys serious about this? It'll be ridiculous.
In Darthatron we trust.

Not only will this ruin the diversity of an already inconsistent hacking community, but it may even hurt the moral of other hackers who isn't in this group you guys are building. Since most hackers these days think making hacks is a competition(Sadly), some might always have in their minds "My hack will never be as good as the one the community is making.
Yeah, I'm that kind of idiot who wants to compete with everyone. Though I don't get depressed because my hack sucks in comparison to others. Instead I will go try and do something that no one has done before, or do something better. Also, it's a community hack so anyone who wants is allowed to participate. There is no restriction or set team (only set leaders).

That one is soooo much better than mine" And once that happens, they'll quit on their own projects. I'm just gonna put my prediction hat on and say the community hack will attract some of the best Rom hackers on here. Everyone's going to be so into making it as amazing as possible that their won't be any good Rom hackers working on their own projects so the community can have different hacks to play rather than 1 gigantic one. Another reason I see this happening is the lack of different jobs for the people involved in this project. I've seen some hackers who tried making their own hack but was unsuccessful due to personal life and the lack of knowledge and know-how in different areas of making one. You could be an incredible mapper but your story-telling sucks and vice-versa. With this community hack, that "Incredible mapper" only has to map because there's an "Incredible story-teller" to do the job he couldn't do in his own project. Point I'm making is, the best hackers in different areas are gonna join in to this project because they now only have 1 job to do to make an incredible hack. It's gonna be so incredible that their won't be any other good quality hacks because this project is probably going to use attract on the good hackers and steal them away from making their own projects. Just an opinionated rant, I just woke up and saw this thread. Goodluck to you all participating in the project though! ^.^

This is the whole point of it though. A community hack is supposed to represent the community and all of our talents. Yeah, we have a hell load of talents all wanting to try this out, but newer hackers should not be discouraged. It's like those times when you played Shiny Gold and then wanted to make a hack for yourself. You don't get discouraged the first week because Shiny Gold was far superior to your hack. Also, I can't speak for everyone but I'm still going to be working on my hack in conjunction with this hack.

If we choose to go the skype route I'm gonna have some trouble. For whatever reason skype crashes my computer. It always has...
If you're using a mac, see if there's a mac version

We don't all need to get on (that would be chaotic), only respective groups need to be on. Like scripting leader and scripters, mapping leader and mappers...ect. Though I agree, scheduling would make this a little hard (that being said IRC would have the same issues).

Darth, when are we going to close applications for selecting field leaders? Saturday seems like a good date.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back