• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen -pokes around the bushes- (Hidden Grottos)

Years
Hidden Grotto (Japanese: 隠し穴 Hidden Hollow) is a feature in Pokémon Black 2 and White 2 that allows the player to catch Pokémon that have a Hidden Ability or find items. The contents of the Hidden Grottoes are random, and if they are empty, for each 256 steps, they have a 5% chance to regenerate, usually with different content than what was inside on the previous visit. Hidden Grottoes will not regenerate unless the items are obtained or the Pokémon are captured or defeated.

Courtesy of Bulbapedia.

What did you guys think of the Hidden Grottos introduced in B/W2? Did you stop by then often? What hidden ability Pokemon have you obtained, if any?

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Aug 18, 2014
The only Hidden Grotto I ever entered was the one we were all forced into entering in route 5. x)

Years
Although the respawn rate and low rate of Pokemon appearing was a bit annoying, I loved this feature because it allowed people who didn't like/couldn't access the DW to find Pokemon with their HAs. I almost always stopped by them whenever I encountered them, unless I had been in the area earlier. As for Pokemon I've obtained, I know I've found quite a few, but I can really only remember the Minccino encountered when you first go in one :<

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 11, 2022
I personally loved them way too much. I don't care if Sap Sipper is awful for Marill, you better believe I caught five. The spawn rate for Pokemon was rather frustrating, though. Firstly there's that damn low 5% respawn rate, then out of that it's only a 20% chance that it's a Pokemon, then out of that there's only a maximum of 15% of it being the one you want, and a minimum of 1%. So yeah, it got super annoying trying to find a Granbull out of one of these things.

I do like to pretend I make Secret Bases out of them sometimes, though. ;u;

Peter Quill

Star-Lord, Legendary Outlaw
Years
The respawn rate was indeed frustrating but I always ended up coming back again and again. I think I caught a bunch of Volt Absorb Pachirisu (because I can). I was also able to catch a TechBreloom in the Forest's Grotto. I've also caught a bunch of Clefairies. I think I even caught the Watchogs and Bibarels just for fun xD

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
Oh, I... wasn't really aware of the feature's existence, unfortunately. Well, I did know about it, but I didn't bother visiting these places. Only time I've ever found myself going into one is when Bianca took me there throughout middle of game-play, but aside from that, nada. Wish I had, though, because I would've been able to get myself a much wider range of Pokémon this way.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Hidden Grottos were alright; on one hand, I net free items and Pokemon with their DW abilities; on the other hand, it's annoying trying to get a particular Pokemon to show up (I mean, a Dragonite appeared in the Route 18 Hidden Grotto without me trying, but still...), such as Swift Swim Poliwhirl and Hustle Nidoran.

Back