• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

The Ultimate Monotype Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
Years
First post updated through post 1401

I have another question regarding Fire Red/ Leaf Green. Since it's possible to get the national dex before the Elite 4 would it be within the parameters of the challenge to get the national dex so my Golbat can evolve before the Elite 4?
Beating the E4 is a requirement of unlocking the National Pokedex, so there is no legitimate way to unlock it within the parameters of the challenge.

In fact, having the National Pokedex before challenging the E4 the first time really screws up your game. Cuz Lorelei will have left for the Sevii Islands, meaning you can't challenge the E4 until the post game Sevii Islands are completed, which can't be done until you beat the E4. It's a catch 22. So don't bother trying to hack the national Pokedex.

Deku said:
Now that I'm finished with my second UMC, I'm going to take a small break before doing a Monotype on Black 2 (which I haven't opened in the 3 months since I've gotten it..) which will likely be expanded into another Ultimate Monotype. Any suggestions for a good type to mono on Black 2 (as in good team choices early in the game)?
Steel is pretty nice. you can catch a Riolu really early. I'm really enjoying my run of W2 with steel types. You can also catch a Metang later in the game at Giant Chasm, something you really can't get in any other game for a monotype!

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Apr 1, 2020
Going on with Normal monotype...

Defeated trainers before Mt Moon. Nina the Pidgey evolved into a Pidgeotto. Passed through Mt Moon and encountered Team Rocket for the first (A HA HA) time. Fangs the Rattata evolved into a Raticate and Hyper Fang'd all the Hikers to death. I was determined to camp there until I had found a Clefairy, but all I got was Paras, so I finally got sick of it and decided to proceed. (I did catch two Paras...es for HM slavery and Tinymushrooms.)

Cerulean. Defeated snobby gym underling who says "what? YOU? I'm more than good enough for YOU!" Then I decided she was right in that I wasn't ready for Misty, so I grinded my Spearow until it was a Fearow and knew Pursuit. I had a complicated plan involving the fact that Starmie is part Psychic and Pursuit is Dark type, but I never got to use it because Fangs just Hyper Fanged everybody like a boss. Cascade Badge is mine. Then, defeated Gary, got gold in Nugget Bridge, turned down opportunity to join Team Rocket, defeated trainers to Bill's house and refused to help him. Bill soft talked me into it. You should try refusing to help him as a girl sometime, it's funny. ("Please, beautiful?") Got SS Anne Ticket.

Current team:

Spoiler:

Badges so far:

Spoiler:

Pekin

Wigglytuff is and has always been on acid.
Years
Type: Flying
Game: SoulSilver
Badges: 5

Moving on from Goldenrod, the levels I gained on the way resulted in Skiploom evolving into a beautiful Jumpluff. I easily kicked Morty's ass, thanks to Togetic and Extrasensory. Gengar took some time, though. I then moved on to Olivine, where I grinded Yanma up to lv. 27 in the Lighthouse, because he had no special moves. I then fished for an HM slave, caught a lv. 20 Magikarp, spent a Rare Candy on it, and taught my Gyarados-slave three HM moves. I then made my way to Cianwood, where I caught a glimpse of Suicune and battled the guy who's chasing after it. I then proceeded to kick Chuck's ass. Only trouble was his Poliwrath, who managed to take down both my Crobat and my Togetic. I then sent out Jumpluff, fairly certain that the battle was won - and that was the battle where I truly discovered the beauty of Jumpluff's annoying nature. Substitute, Leech Seed and Sleep Powder, it felt like I could do nothing wrong! And Chuck just watched his Poliwrath fade away, desperately wasting all his Hyper Potions.

My team so far:

Spoiler:

On a somewhat related note, I started my Emerald run yesterday, but I only caught a Wingull so far. I'm not sure I'll get back to it before finishing my SoulSilver run, though. I like to do these challenges in the "right" order.

Griffinbane

I hate Smeargle.
Years
And now, a haiku.

Platinum monotype,
It's fire I have chosen.
Chimchar shall be picked.

SR for nature?
Heck no! Far too tedious.
Barry in the way.

All the beginner
Stuff I have done, much boredom.
Go away Barry.

Why no broken bones?
A stupendous miracle
Slow down Barry.

Ready for Oreburgh
Chimp evolved to Monferno
One-two punch, badge won!

Eterna forest
I love Cheryl's free healing.
Ready for gym battle!

Years
  • Seen Aug 17, 2018
i'm gonna start another monotype challenge

Username: RefinedHornet
Type: Dragon
Challenge: Ultimate
Game(s): R, C, E, Pt, W2

i also have a question
is it allowed to have duplicates of a pokemon species(ex. having multiple Dragonite)?

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
Years
i'm gonna start another monotype challenge

Username: RefinedHornet
Game(s): R, C, E, Pt, W2

i also have a question
is it allowed to have duplicates of a pokemon species(ex. having multiple Dragonite)?
There is no rule against duplicates, it's just not encouraged where it can be avoided. Obviously in Kanto you're gonna have to have multiples of the same Pokemon in Dragon and Ghost, which is why I signed up for those while I was running the 1000 post event in February.

Years
  • Seen Apr 1, 2020
Type: Normal
Game: LG
Badges: 3

Defeated TR member who gives you Dig, but didn't teach it to anyone yet.

Fangs was complaining that she's doing most of the gym work by herself. On the other hand, Nina and Beaky wouldn't do too well against Lieutenant my-Raichu-toasts-Pidgeottos-for-breakfast Surge. So, on the road to Vermilion, I caught my self a Meowth (male, gentle, nicknamed Nails). Nails is a mixed attacker, so I taught him Water Pulse and Secret Power.

Received VS Seeker and used trainers near Vermilion to grind Nails to level 22. He gave me several freebies (yay Pickup), most notably TM 10 Hidden Power, which I used on Pidgeotto and turned out to be Hidden Power Grass. I also got a Nugget. Good kitty.

Went to SS Anne. Rival Rival was there, a dry martini in one hand and some giggling blonde in the other. He was telling her some BS about how he's gonna be the greatest trainer ever. I used him to evolve Nails into a Persian, who then got the ability Limber (prevents paralysis). This is a very nice ability, especially useful for the third gym. I'm beginning to really like this thing, he looks cool, too. Anyway, got Cut and left.

Taught Cut to one of these Parases from Mt Moon. Nails was somewhat overlevelled, so he basically OHKO'd everything in the gym except Raichu who was 2-HKO'd. After receiving Thunder Badge, we passed through Diglett's Cave, got Flash (barely met the requirements btw) and taught it to Paras. We are now ready for Rock Tunnel!

Current Team:

Spoiler:

Last edited:

TrollShammy80

Loved all Pokemon Since 98'
Years
Update 2-

Recorded battles- Cheren 3rd N 2nd and Gym Leader Lenora

1-After a little bit more time captured, Timburr
2-Leveled him up to level 23
3-Wondered over to Nacrene City battled N
4-Healed up and headed for Outside of Pinwheel Forest
5-Searching for Makuhita/Sawk/Throh
6-Took on Lenora and won on the 2nd attempt after changing my tactics around
7-Timburr evolved into Gurdurr going after Team Plasma and getting back the skull they took
8-Still seeking the other fighting types after getting the skull back

Gotta have back ups :) gonna try to get all the different ones I can

Team:
Mephiss the Pignite Lv.29
Matt the Gurdurr Lv. 26 (He evolved one level late cause he died to 1st battle against Lenora)
Arken the Kirlia Lv.25

Badges 2/8 (Rendering battle videos will be up tonight or tomorrow)

Expected to see in video 2-
Vs Cress
Vs Cheren 3rd
Vs N 2nd
Vs Lenora

jdthebud

Engineering Solutions
Years
Update on Ultimate Monotype Challenge (Rock).

Final Update (#3) on Black 2.​

Finally finished this. My last update ended after I beat Skyla. I'll just leave the video of the fight against Iris here, as well as screenshots.

Video:
Spoiler:

Screens:
Spoiler:

Hall of Fame:
Spoiler:

Team Roxy (Final):
526.gif

Gigalith the Adamant Gigalith, ♂ - L62 @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Sturdy
Moves: Stone Edge, Bulldoze, Superpower, Stealth Rock
Final Stats: 205/245/197/81/116/48
337.gif

Moony the Calm Lunatone - L63 @ Expert Belt
Ability: Levitate
Moves: Psychic, Ice Beam, Earth Power, Shadow Ball
Final Stats: 185/77/99/178/134/116
306.gif

Titan the Bashful Aggron, ♂ - L62 @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Rock Head
Moves: Iron Tail, Rock Slide, Strength, Bulldoze
Final Stats: 184/194/256/91/106/78
142.gif

Jet the Careful Aerodactyl, ♂ - L39 @ Hard Stone
Ability: Rock Head
Moves: Rock Slide, Aqua Tail, Fly, Crunch
Final Stats: 196/185/98/76/128/180
Unova co-MVP, Elite Four co-MVP
565.gif

Archelon the Adamant Carracosta, ♂ - L62 @ Hard Stone
Ability: Sturdy
Moves: Waterfall, Low Kick, Rock Slide, Shell Smash
Final Stats: 199/204/200/103/102/57
Unova co-MVP, Iris MVP
558.gif

Hermit the Docile Crustle, ♂ - L62 @ Hard Stone
Ability: Battle Armor
Moves: X-Scissor, Dig, Rock Slide, Shell Smash
Final Stats: 202/166/169/91/104/89
Elite Four co-MVP

Aryan143

The Fennekin Fan!
Years
I just defeated Marlon on my VoltWhite2 flying run. My team is:

Butterfree level 68
Staraptor level 65
Salamence level 66
Charizard level 65
Swanna level 65
Gliscor level 65

The 7th and 8th gym would have been really really hard if I didn't had Butterfree. Quiver Dance was so useful. So I just soloed the 7th and 8th gym with it. Now only the final part of my journey is left.

Years
  • Seen Apr 1, 2020
Badges: 4

Passed Rock Tunnel. Nina evolved into a Pidgeot. Defeated rival Rival in Pokemon Tower and listened to him bragging about getting a Cubone. Went to Celadon. Caught a Doduo and boxed Beaky. (The Doduo is female, nicknamed Hydra.) Went to Celadon gym and used the underlings to train my Doduo. Afterwards, Nina started complaining that she should be the one doing the gym work and that someone new comes along and I forget everything we've been through together and that it's not fair and why don't I just box her like I did to Beaky. So we made a compromise: Hydra beat Erica's Victreebel, while Nina beat Tangela and Vileplume. Got Fly and taught it to Nina and Hydra. Used the VS Seeker on some trainers after Lavender to evolve Hydra into a Dodrio.

Then I flied back to mt Moon and tried to find a Clefairy again, but had no luck (are they a FR exclusive or something?) so I went to the goddamn Celadon Game Corner and bought one. It's... female. I think I'll submit this for the gender discrimination challenge if I get rid of Nails, since it seems to meet all the requirements otherwise. ANYWAY, named the Clefairy Celia, trained it, got the Tea and the Eevee from Celadon Mansion, went in Saffron to get TM 29 Psychic, and then defeated a suspicious individual in the GC who was standing in front of a poster for some reason. He said something about a secret hideout, so I looked behind the poster and what do you know? ... A switch! ... Yeah, so now we're in the secret hideout. One of them, anyway.

Current team:

Spoiler:

Years
  • Seen Jan 2, 2014
Username: ɯɐǝq ɹǝpʎɥ
Type: water
Challenge: Single
Game(s): FireRed
Hi I done this challenge before on another site:
My team
Azure(Lapras)Level 58
surf
ice beam
confuse ray
psychic
Gray (Gyarados)Level 60
Dragon Dance
Hyper Beam
Earthquake
Thrash
Kamex Level 67
earthquake
ice beam
hydro pump
hydro cannon
Wrath (Poliwrath) Level 66
Substitute
Belly Drum
Brick Break
Hidden Power Ghost
Kabutops level 65
AncientPower
Mega Drain
Metal Sound
Poseidon (Vaporeon) level 65
Slash
Surf
Acid Armour
Rest
Double team
Hall-Of-Fame.png

Years
  • Seen Sep 21, 2013
Username: Monogito
Game(s): B,G,R,D,B²

Since the first two gens will be Dratini-fest I'm gonna start with B² for some variety.
I'll be hacking in Deino / Monozu since you can't get a Dragon type before the 3rd gym.
Also, a question, you mentioned the game corner on GSC, but, to get it the person will either be extremely good at the minigame or have massive cash on them. Will you let hack to get the coins, or another pokemon in general? Because it not, the second gen will be a pain to do.

Last edited:

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
Years
Also, a question, you mentioned the game corner on GSC, but, to get it the person will either be extremely good at the minigame or have massive cash on them. Will you let hack to get the coins, or another pokemon in general? Because it not, the second gen will be a pain to do.
Sorry, no hacking is allowed, so you have to buy or play for the coins. It's a gambling system in GSC, so it's less about being good and more about luck. You can play Crystal if you want to hack one in, since there's no Dratini in the Game Corner in that game. Though I would spend the money if it were me. Griffinbane spent hours in SS playing Voltorb flip for TMs and Dratini in her Dragon mono.

Last edited:

Gulpin

poisonous
Years
  • Seen Jan 16, 2017
Going to go ahead and sign up for my next two challenges right now. I'm signing up as singles but I will expand them in to ultimates eventually. I already have played a bit in each game, but I don't have the time to do an update right now.

Username: deku
Type: Steel
Game(s): Black 2

Username: deku
Type: Fighting
Game(s): Black

Years
  • Seen Apr 1, 2020
Badges: 8

I was going to post a really rough update. (Rough, as in "I now have eight badges and my team is this.") Instead, I'm going to make a huge post, divide it in parts and spoiler them. You don't have to read it.

Also, have I mentioned how much I love this challenge?

Part 1: Celadon City-Lavender Town

Spoiler:

Part 2: Fuschia City

Spoiler:

Part 3: Saffron City

Spoiler:

Part 4: Cinnabar Island

Spoiler:

Part 5: Viridian City (again)

Spoiler:

Part 6: Other stuff

Spoiler:

Current team:

Spoiler:

So me and the kids are now going to Victory Road. (Always loved that name.)

Last edited:

Aryan143

The Fennekin Fan!
Years
Yes,Yes,Yes! I am finally an Ultimate Champion. I just defeated Iris with my team. I had a lot of fun with it. My MVP was Butterfree because of Quiver Dance and LVP was Gliscor mainly because I got it late and I didn't used it at all during the E-4. I might start another one in future. HOF pics:

SDSS.png

SDSSS.png

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back