• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Texas Republicans want Davis to pay for her filibuster

Mr. X

It's... kinda effective?
Years
The Texas Legislature's unprecedented three special sessions this summer are likely to leave the taxpayers of the Lone Star State footing a $2.4 million bill. But according to Republican state Rep. Giovanni Capriglione, there's a simple option for covering part that: Make Democratic state Sen. Wendy Davis pay for one of the sessions.

"I think we need to remember why we are having this extra special session," Capriglione told the Fort Worth Star-Telegram on Tuesday. "One state senator, in an effort to capture national attention, forced this special session."

In June, Davis was catapulted into the national spotlight after launching a 10-hour filibuster against a Texas Senate bill containing sweeping abortion restrictions. While the bill eventually was passed during a second special session in July, Gov. Rick Perry recently called for another session to tackle transportation funding.

"I firmly believe that Sen. Wendy Davis should reimburse the taxpayers for the entire cost of the second special session," Capriglione said. "I am sure that she has raised enough money at her Washington, D.C., fundraiser to cover the cost."

According to the Star-Telegram, a special session, which can last up to 30 days, costs the state about $800,000 after representatives and senators have received their living expenses and travel allowance. After three special sessions, that adds up to $2.4 million.

Davis, who dismissed the criticisms, said it's the state's GOP leadership that's to blame.

"It's unfortunate that the leadership in power squandered taxpayer dollars pursuing partisan politics before Texas priorities and forced an unnecessary special session," Davis said.

http://news.yahoo.com/texas-republi...should-pay-for-special-session-142129814.html

I can't come up with any comments for this.

Years
Well, of course this is a double-standard. It's fine when it is supportive of my cause, but not when it is against my cause. If the Governor wants to reform the legislative rules, that is fine, as long as it denies all members the ability to filibuster, or reduces the amount of votes for a cloture on a filibuster. So, I agree that Davis' actions are not helpful and are a waste of government operational funds; however, many public officials, including Perry, have used similar stalling tactics.

Years
So, then I should fully expect Congressional Republicans to refund the taxpayers for the millions upon millions of dollars wasted blocking congressional appointments or voting 40 times to de-fund obamacare. (Utterly ridiculous, by the way). Perry used executive privilege to call the third session, so he himself should foot the bill, if the Texas GOP wants to go down this road.

And technically, Davis's attempt to kill the bill ultimately would prove to be cost effective, negating the need for mountains of legal fees from ACLU federal lawsuits and any further litigation. ;(

Last edited:

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
Years
So, whenever a bill is struck down, should the reps and/or senators voting "no" be forced to pay for the cost of printing the bill and keeping Congress open for a pointless session?

I don't think they fully understand how politics work.

Silais

That useless reptile
Years
  • Seen Jul 17, 2016
Of all the millions of dollars conservatives have wasted with their own filibusters, you would think that they would be uncomfortable with demanding that this woman pay for her own filibuster. Really, the double-standard is becoming unbelievable; people are not even trying to hide their bias and personal agendas anymore.

Years
They need money for the upcoming court case.

Cream of the crop. The Republican Party shows it is dedicated to the principle of hypocrisy and lightening up politics with their silliness. Thank God (or no-God) they have passed Democratic legislation for the Democrats. Thank God they have shot themselves in the foot, bashed themselves in the brain, snapped their backs, played Russian roulette with only themselves, and worshiped the Golden Calf of No and reenacted the 1900s.

Although even in the 1960s when all those (Democratic, I know) Southern senators were having their long filibusters against civil rights no one asked them for a reimbursement. Find me a time when people asked for refunds on filibusters, someone. Democrat or Republican, or their spiritual predecessors.

This is what the Republicans will do in 2016, the next presidential election:

"I think we need to remember why we're having this special session," Rigatoni said. "One state senate, in an effort to capture national attention, freed national attention from us. We are now 1% in the polls."

"Don't worry, John. We still have the $2.4 million from that filibuster down in, uh, what was it? Texas, yes, Texas!

...Oh."

"We firmly believe the Republican Party should reimburse the taxpayers for the entire cost of this presidential election. We are sure they have raised enough money at the Americans for Tax Reform fundraiser to cover the cost. Or, rather, cut enough taxes to cover the cost. We're sure Grover Norquist can cough that up from his 31 years of disservice to this country."

I looked at my calendar and it is about a fiscal quarter too late for this April Fool's joke. I hope this fiscal matter will be resolved by day's end, just like an April Fool's joke. The court case will take months or years, after all. Millions of dollars, too. And I know the Supreme Court isn't fond of refunds, win or lose.

Years
I thought the point of democracy was to have discussions about things that impact us. Isn't that why we spend so much money paying politicians' salaries and holding elections all the time? If anything, we should be spending more time and money making more of what goes on in politics transparent by having more discussion and making more room for more voices.

Back