• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon Amaranth

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Mar 27, 2014
pokemon_amaranth_version_by_pkmnamaranth-d3p3c8q.jpg
Welcome to Pokémon Amaranth official thread!
Pokémon Amaranth
ama3sig.png
Game information
ZeroArmada
Author
ZeroArmada
Team
Progressing!
Status

UPDATE: I'm more active on my deviantART, for constant updates check out my page at: http://pkmnamaranth.deviantart.com/

Story and Introduction

Normally at your age the ideal time would be near to start a journey to discover yourself with Pokemon. With an overprotective parent, coupled with the fact that you have never stepped one foot out of Blissleaf Town, the unknown may always remain unknown.

Arguing with your mother has gotten you no where... frustrated and angered, you pout yourself loudly into bed. As you were slumbering into a deeper and deeper sleep, a calm humming sound started emanating near you. Alarmed you quickly adjusting yourself to get alert. Getting steadily out of bed you slowly rise up as the humming get's louder.. louder... and louder. The hair on the back of your head is kissed by a cool breeze, as you see a sheet of white light encasing your window.

ZOOM.

Before having any time to react, the sheet of light suddenly became volatile, as it torn through the carpet, you try to resist, but the force of the light couldn't be outmatched, forcefully grabbing onto your leg. You frantically try to grab hold of the ripped carpet beneath you, but any effort resulted in a negligible outcome. Your heart is racing, your mind is blank, filled with confusion towards the events that are transpiring. The distance between you and the light is becoming dramatically.. closer.... and closer. You peer through the light and you see a pair of eye's focused right at you... they're not human. Halfway through the sheet of light, you try to struggle and scream you way out but darkness starts spreading through your eyes, as you drop the the ground and faint.

You wake up to find yourself in an unfamiliar area, daunting and full of horror. Here, you begin your journey...

Pokemon Amaranth is a project that has undergone development since the beginning of last month (June 2011). The main focus of this project is to provide thrilling story-telling experience, while not deviating from the standard format that has made Pokemon games successful. Another emphasis in Pokemon Amaranth will be the aesthetics; each map, image, every single bit that is worked on will help make the game visually pleasing. Mapping is being practiced as a conscious effort to effectively capture the environment that Pokemon Amaranth will pride itself on. Our job is a continual practice of revising and mastering maps to capture tension, culture, drama, and emotion that we feel envisions the tone and mood of a dark story.

Pokemon Amaranth will consist of two regions, the Shinkou Region and the "Lost" Region. The premise of Pokemon Amaranth revolves around the idea of alternate dimensions. You are a young kid who lives their life in an isolated and irritating life in Blissleaf Town, located at the far north edge of Shinkou. You know nothing of the world outside Blissleaf. Through a strange and unexplained phenomenon you are taken to an alternate dimension. The area you land is completely horrific, covered in a mull purple mist, barren, rotten, and in ruins. As you wander around you unfortunately encounter members of organization called "Black Dawn". They answer your questions, briefly, before they decide to imprison you. Apparently this world you were taken to has been destroyed by Black Dawn, who have been able to genetically engineer a gas that has been used to biologically corrupt and kill Pokemon. When you were brought here years have passed since the Black Dawn took charge. Most of the remaining Pokemon have built an immunity to the gas..... the rest, extinct. The world is already in a state too late to save, as the ripple effects of the gas have caused society to collapse. Before you are taken away by Black Dawn you are saved at the last minute, as three lights came whirling towards your feet, when the dust cleared Pokeballs were laying on the ground. In the distance, you see those same eyes, ponderously staring in your direction before they disappear in the trees. You managed to fend off Black Dawn for now with the help from the Pokemon you called upon. As you progress through the game you will learn to discover that you were brought to this dimension because Black Dawn is planning to extend their power to other dimensions, including yours, and you need to stop them at all costs.

~The Shinkou Region~

mapk.png

43137421.png

The "Lost" Region​

Characters

Hero M/F
commission102byliterasu.gif
commission101byliterasu.gif

The hero/heroine. Not privy to the outside world at all, lives a secluded life in Blissleaf Town.

Other characters TBD.

Features

Travel simultaneously between 2 brand new regions, players will be forced to switch back and forth between both regions as they progress through the story.

Choose between a fire, grass, and water starter Pokemon (to be decided.

Slick and professional graphics will provide the user with enhanced an enhanced experience.

Immerse story allows for thrill and suspense.

More Features will be added as development further progresses.

The Starters

Rock, Ground, Flying. To be decided.​

Videos

Screenshots

pokemon_amaranth_screenshots_by_pkmnamaranth-d4c5d7j.png

Support us!

paava.png

amaj.png

ama3sig.png

The Team

Project Leader - ZeroArmada
Digital Artist - ZeroArmada
Mapper - ZeroArmada
Story - ZeroArmada
Spriter - WesleyFG Recruiting spriters, PM for details. (OWs, tiles, fakemon, battlesprites)

Credits/Thank Yous

Spoiler:

Last edited:

Rossay

Quack quack
Years
Interesting project. I'm not usually a fan of photoshopped graphics, but your GUI and interfaces are very eye-catching and elegant. I think you should consider using a newer style of tileset however.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 30, 2023
This is a nice looking project, though I have to agree on the graphics, I think it would be better to redo them in pixel art. Also to note, you need to set the bush flag to ~ and the terrain tag to 2, on your grass, that'll make your player walk in it rather than on top of it. At any rate, things are looking good, and I look forward to seeing more progress on this project. If you ever need a hand, I'm always up to help.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Mar 27, 2014
Thanks for the input from both of you, I appreciate it. I'll definitely look into migrating over to B/W tiles.

Looking back at Black and White there were a lot of Photoshop elements that they put into their game when they designed the interface for it. You still see a lot of the elements done in pixel art, but there are subtle hints at gradients and such. My approach to the GUI in Amaranth is different from the norm, but I think it will be one factors of my game that will set itself apart from the rest.

That said, I'll make sure to satisfy everyone and add an option for a pixel-style and non-pixel style GUI. :3

Rossay

Quack quack
Years
Thanks for the input from both of you, I appreciate it. I'll definitely look into migrating over to B/W tiles.

Looking back at Black and White there were a lot of Photoshop elements that they put into their game when they designed the interface for it. You still see a lot of the elements done in pixel art, but there are subtle hints at gradients and such. My approach to the GUI in Amaranth is different from the norm, but I think it will be one factors of my game that will set itself apart from the rest.

That said, I'll make sure to satisfy everyone and add an option for a pixel-style and non-pixel style GUI. :3

Yes, black and white do have more photoshop-styled graphics than previous generations but they are quite subtle. I think a lot of your menus and interfaces actually do this really well. The ones that stand out as being too photoshopped are actually the ones in the top-half of the battle screens: the background for the textbox is way too much of a gradient & the battle-grounds which the pokemon stand on are a little too gradient-like as well.

Glad to hear you're going to look at updating your tilesets, I think it would really help your project & make the screenies more impressive and attractive.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 24, 2013
This is a very interesting story! I like games like these with more grown-up or away-from-the-norm stories. The line about being kidnapped from your home and into an alternate world is what grabbed my attention and highly intrigued me. I'll be sure to bookmark this thread!

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Mar 27, 2014
This is a very interesting story! I like games like these with more grown-up or away-from-the-norm stories. The line about being kidnapped from your home and into an alternate world is what grabbed my attention and highly intrigued me. I'll be sure to bookmark this thread!
Thanks, I'm glad you liked it and I hope for your continued support.

I have no content updates at the moment, I have been working on the menu system. It's essentially done, I just need to make some adjustments to the hit-boxes, change the icons to something more unique and it will be out of the way. :D

menuama.png
menublack.png
menusilver.png

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Mar 27, 2014
(Sorry for double posting)

I have compiled a few tile-sets that I really liked, I'm still undecided on which to use. Any feedback would be appreciated, do you prefer A, B, or C?

pokemon_amaranth_which_style__by_pkmnamaranth-d3oxsn0.png

Also, I will be doing updates on my deviantart account as well, which can be found here: http://pkmnamaranth.deviantart.com/

Rossay

Quack quack
Years
Glad to see you've gone for B&W styled tiles, it definetely improves your game's visual impact!

I really like your custom menu bottomscreen.

My only comment about your mapping style is that they feel too large and open to be Pokemon-maps. I'd suggest looking at some official maps for comparative purposes and seeing how the size of grass-patches & the areas without grass are generally smaller and broken up with more things.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Mar 27, 2014
Glad to see you've gone for B&W styled tiles, it definetely improves your game's visual impact!

I really like your custom menu bottomscreen.

My only comment about your mapping style is that they feel too large and open to be Pokemon-maps. I'd suggest looking at some official maps for comparative purposes and seeing how the size of grass-patches & the areas without grass are generally smaller and broken up with more things.
I see what you mean. I'll make the necessary changes tonight, thanks for your input.

Years
  • Seen Apr 8, 2015
So, as you go between these two regions, will you be the same player, or have your same team? Or will you effectively be raising two sets of Pokémon as the game progresses?

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Mar 27, 2014
So, as you go between these two regions, will you be the same player, or have your same team? Or will you effectively be raising two sets of Pokémon as the game progresses?

You will be the same player with the same team. Your team will follow you as you go between the two regions. The benefits are that all Pokemon are exclusive to their respective region. Additionally you will not be able to freely travel between regions. You will be stuck in the current region you are in until a critical event occurs that will send you back to the other region, this concept will repeat for the majority of the game... with exceptions of course ;).

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Mar 27, 2014
Duskthorn Woodlands and Route L46 mapping is done. The plan is to get the Abandoned Settlement done (essentially will be the first "town" away from home per-say) and then I will start doing the eventing and all of the fun stuff up until Route L47. Expect a demo sometime late-next month, up to the second gym hopefully.

In terms of the Route naming convetion, Shinkou Routes (home region) will be consting of A___ (such as A97) while all of the lost region names will consist of L___ (such as L46) this is just to make the game feel somewhat "distant" from the official games.
Still looking for spriters if anyone is interested. =)

pk_amaranth_duskthorn_woodland_by_pkmnamaranth-d3vy85y.jpg

pokemon_amaranth_route_l46_by_pkmnamaranth-d3xtv0g.png

pk_amaranth_abandoned_twn_by_pkmnamaranth-d3z692g.png

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Mar 27, 2014
Sorry for the triple post.

Just letting everyone know that development is still going strong, main emphasis right now is for me to get all of the mapping done.

Most of my updates will be on my DA, here's the maps that I have done up to my last update on this thread, sorry for all the images ^^':

pokemon_amaranth_route_l47_by_pkmnamaranth-d42phhy.jpg

pkmn_amaranth_sullenstone_city_by_pkmnamaranth-d45i7e5.jpg

pkmn_amaranth_sullenstone_ruin_by_pkmnamaranth-d45tt40.png

pkmn_amaranth_forlorn_chateau_by_pkmnamaranth-d46krjq.png

pkmn_amaranth_whispered_desert_by_pkmnamaranth-d46kro0.png

TheMarkCrafter

roses are red, violets are blue, i used to break r
Years
Hey Zero! This project is amazing! I like it with the BW style, and why the characters are not?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back